Menu

when your child is doing seat work...

HappyLady

do you sit with them and watch or do you let them be to see if they can do it on their own? For instance, my 5 year old DD knows how to write all of her letters, but she still has to think about some of them sometimes when writing them so I still have her practicing writing her letters. While she's doing that I like to go and get a few chores done, but she prefers me to sit with her. I know I could either just watch her or find something of my own to do next to her, but I'm wondering which one is a better habit to get into. I'd like for her to learn she needs to do some school work without me having to be there, but I don't know if this is the age to start that.

Thoughts?

My 5yos did every ounce of their seatwork right at my elbow. I might be busy helping another sibling or working on a project, but they're right there and I'm watching their work out of the corner of my eye.

Fourth grade is a better time to ask them to complete a lesson while you walk away, and even then it will be a learning process for both DC and parent.

I sit right beside my kids while they are doing their seat work.....sitting right beside my 5th grader doing math right now. ;) I am present but not focused strictly on her.

My primary age kids do all work directly beside me with my focus on them. Once they are in 3rd grade, some things are done independently and some things are done with me and some are done right near me.

SWB talks about the stages in one of her audios.

Child with mother at elbow for younger ages...

transitioning to

Mother is able to flutter around, while staying in same general area for middle elementary ages....

transitioning to

Mother is able to go change over a load of laundry in another room...

Eventually you have a child that is working independently.

It is an awesome audio that steps you through the stages and what to expect.

At five, I would totally expect to be at a child's elbow at all times.

I have to stay with DS5 and watch closely the entire time, even if he knows exactly what to do and how to do it. I've learned the hard way that if I walk away, he just stares off into space until I get back. Then schoolwork takes longer than it should and he starts complaining. We're both happier if I just ignore the housework for an hour or so and focus on getting him through his schoolwork.

I stay right by her. If she's coloring and cutting I might do some dishes or prep lunch (we school obviously in the kitchen) but I am in the same room so I can make sure she's on task.

I don't think most kids between 5-8 can work independently well / productively without an adult to keep them on task.

I sit by DS the majority of the time. Sometimes, he wants to go in his room to work on his math paper. Some days, he gets it completed quickly, other days I have to go in and check on him. He is a young first grader (technically kindergarten age, but working on first grade level).

I sit right by my K'ers when they are doing anything other than coloring or cuting/pasting unless it is not school related. I always wanted to be right there to correct letter/number formation. My son is in 1st now and I still sit next to him for most of it. Though, I'm doing it less and less since his handwriting is pretty good now.

I don't let my 5 yo hold a pencil for schoolwork without me watching. He still has some issues with letter formation and I don't want him to develop bad habits. When dd was in K she could do a little while I fluttered around. It depends on the child.

My K'er does her copywork on her own. Her seatwork, I'm mostly at elbow or at least in the room. For first grade and up, I may be in the room (it's the kitchen, I may be doing chores) or I could be anywhere in the house. That said, I do go over all directions with them and let them ask questions before I set them free.

Bug sits right next to me while he works. Now I do not give him undivided attention because Punk and Sister are coming and going from their work with me, but I am right there. Even when I send Bug to build with blocks or play with the sensory tub if it schoolwork, it is within my sight.

I strongly second the SWB lecture listed by pp, it is fabulous.

I sit right beside my kids while they are doing their seat work.....sitting right beside my 5th grader doing math right now. ;) I am present but not focused strictly on her.

My primary age kids do all work directly beside me with my focus on them. Once they are in 3rd grade, some things are done independently and some things are done with me and some are done right near me.

This. I don't *expect* any seat work to be done alone. If they can, great! But usually I'm sitting right there, on my iPad or reading. Mostly for my 7 year old, she is quite distractible. Ironically, my 5 year old can focus better than her big sister lol.

My K'er can't really do her work without me right by her. I do sometimes sit at the table because I'm constantly being called upon for help by one of my children. But my 4th and 2nd grader are independent enough I can do chores in the same area as them, most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I sit with dd for all her work. Some things I still write for her since her abilities to read and do math exceed her ability to write.

My son has a bunch of work he does independently but while I'm working with dd, I'm also very close to him. There are a few things that he waits to do until I can sit with him.

Both my kids have bulletin boards that sit above the tables they sit at to do school. Both have the alphabet/number formation chart found in the HWT books, both have their names written out showing correct form (just first name for dd, full name for ds), both have hundred charts. Dd also has a bed graphic to help distinguish between b and d, while ds has a place value chart, a multiplication chart, parts of speech, when to use commas, and current memory work. The bulletin boards make it easy to switch things around, and makes it easy for me to walk away for a minute if I need to since they have a reference.

I sit right by my K'ers when they are doing anything other than coloring or cuting/pasting unless it is not school related. I always wanted to be right there to correct letter/number formation. My son is in 1st now and I still sit next to him for most of it. Though, I'm doing it less and less since his handwriting is pretty good now.

Me too! Since she is usually only doing a couple worksheets I want to make sure she does her letter formation correctly, so anytime she is doing a worksheet I am pretty much right there.

I can't sit right with DD most of the time, because the twins occupy my attention close to 100% when they are awake, and DD usually too tired by nap time to focus. However she does much MUCH better work, and is happier about it if she has my attention while she works. This is the reason I signed the twins up for preschool next year. It will give us a few hours a week to work one-on-one.