Menu

MS Murder of first openly gay mayoral candidate

Ipsey

I really don't mean to hammer the gay point into the ground, but I saw this today and. . . geez.

Maybe the fact that he was gay, and black, and a Dem in Mississippi had nothing to do with his murder.

But I think that will be a tough sell.

I left Mississippi 7 years ago, and . . . I see stuff like this and it makes me so angry. it's the most religious place I've ever lived, and easily the most bigoted :( The two are connected. Please, can we do something about things like this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57571782/marco-mcmillian-openly-gay-black-mayoral-candidate-slain-in-mississippi/

I hope this isn't political. I don't mean for it to be. I just want to raise awareness. I am just about in tears right now.

While there are still bigots in Mississippi there are at least some in many other states as well. There are also many people in Mississippi who are not bigots, in fact, possibly most of the people in the state are not. In my experience bigotry and Christianity are not necessarily linked. Please do not mischaracterize the entire state based on the actions of one person whose motive(s) are not known at this point.

There are bigots of multiple types in every state and in every country. There are religious people of multiple faiths (as well as non-religious people) in every state and in every country. Using a Venn diagram, there will be some set intersection, but never a complete overlap.

This made me smile. I love a good Venn diagram. :laugh:

While there are still bigots in Mississippi there are at least some in many other states as well. There are also many people in Mississippi who are not bigots, in fact, possibly most of the people in the state are not. In my experience bigotry and Christianity are not necessarily linked. Please do not mischaracterize the entire state based on the actions of one person whose motive(s) are not known at this point.

Given Mississppi's history on racial issues along with some very conservative religious groups, a connection like this will be made while questions are still being asked about the murder. Is there a connection? I have no idea. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

Given Mississppi's history on racial issues along with some very conservative religious groups, a connection like this will be made while questions are still being asked about the murder. Is there a connection? I have no idea. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if there was one.

I'm with you. In the deep south there are still pockets (some very large pockets) of people who still have a 19th century attitude about race. I saw a lot of it when I lived in another deep south state. If one hasn't experienced the hate in this day and age, it is hard to fathom. It is very disturbing. Then add that this guy was openly gay. Yeah, sadly, it isn't surprising that he has been murdered.

We like to think that the ugliness is behind us. Some places still have a long way to go.

It is a sad thing that this man was murdered. I hope justice prevails. May his family eventually have peace.

I don't see anything about why this guy was murdered. We have no idea. For what it's worth, that would probably be black bigot people you are blaming- I don't know how many of them are there or if any of them are murderers. The fact that his car was crashed being driven by someone else who ran away makes me think it was a more common robbery/murder not a political murder at all or a murder precipitated by some type of bigotness.

I don't know why you'd think this was automatically a hate crime. It sounds like the killer was in the vehicle with the mayoral candidate according to the article. Maybe an argument that got out of hand leading to the wreck and then the murder?

Being from the South and religious, I find it insulting that suddenly we are all painted with the broad brush of bigotry.

Does it still exist in the South? Yes. Does it still exist in the Pacific NW? Yes. Does it still exist in the North and East? Yes.

Hate and ignorance are found in many religious groups and in many geographic areas.

According to the Coahoma County Sheriff's office (via Reuters), "The death of McMillian was not being investigated as a hate crime." Also, "The death is not considered politically motivated." A person driving his SUV had a head-on collision with another vehicle, but MacMillian was not with the driver and his whereabouts were not known at the time of the accident.

Black, gay men aren't killed in any other state? Or if they are, it's for legitimate reasons? I don't see how it happening in MS makes the whole state religious bigots, but when it happens in other states it's..... what?

That's just crazy.

We've had black government leaders for decades. It's not like the first person of color who got near a post was shot.

Sure there are pockets of ignorance here, but I've seen pretty large pockets elsewhere too.