Menu

Do you ever feel like you're wasting your time?

Maybe today wasn't the best day of school. Do your kids remember what you do year to year in content subjects? They remember math, grammar, writing, but I asked Rebecca about last year and she squinted her eyes and said, "We studied America, right?" :banghead: I'm reading Amy Carmichael out loud and allowing them to play quietly while I read and they can't remember a thing. I might as well sit in my room and read to myself if they're getting nothing out of it. Yet they love the story and Sylvia named a character in a game "Amy" for Amy Carmichael.

Am I making an impression?

my younger one doesnt remember much, either. the idea is that when they go through it again, it will sound familiar. i dont worry too much about retaining subject matter they werent interested in to start with . . . thats why i encourage studying the areas they are interested in - but mine have no interest in history at all.

my teen is getting a lot more out of the history - because he's heard it before and so its a refresher with new info. my 9 yo . . . eh. but you have to believe its in there somewhere!

Doodle remembers some science, but history is set on auto-delete. He doesn't like any form of social studies, prepares as little output as he possibly can, and retains little to nothing! In K we did a little bit of basic physical geography and a tiny bit of political geography that he seems to remember, but 1st grade he studied the middle ages with SOTW and remembers nothing except that I (not him me) built a castle out of legos. In 2nd grade he did a sweeping overview of world history and remembers nothing. In third grade he studied US history at home and at CC and remembers nothing. This year in 4th grade he is studying cultural and a little political geography and is enjoying it more. I hope he remembers something. Next year he will be studying ancient history with a textbook. I am so not spending any of my time on preparing social studies or more of our day on it than is absolutely necessary. At the same time, gee, I hope he manages to remember something.

Mandy

I think the exposure is good. You would be surprised at what they do remember. I have found that asking outright Bout what my son remembers does no good. It comes out in other discussions or when he sees something related to it in another book we are reading. That helps me know that some of it is sinking in. So no, I don't think it is a waste of time. I do make sure it's short spurts and nothing long and drawn out. Long lessons are a waste of time for my son.

I've found that my daughter remembers more from listening to the SOTW CDs than she ever has to anything I've read out loud or any "enriching" history activity that I've planned. She's 7 so I'm not really going to worry about it. At 34 there are so many things that we have read in science and history in her first and second grade years that I either never learned or had forgotten. I think at this age a general overview is the goal so it is familiar later on.

Honestly the only thing I remember about 2nd grade is dressing up like a hobbit on literature character day. I'm sure we did a lot more than that but that is my only clear memory!

I felt that way most of first and second grade with the boys. Now I've sort of settled in to the understanding that they are really into lather, rinse, repeat....and repeat and repeat and repeat....

Once I got used to the idea that once was never enough and they were able to relax knowing that I was not going to demand total and instant recall things got better.

Not every kid is this way. I was not. But I've really found that if I want them to know it, I've got to review it on a regular basis.

Jury is still out on whether it will be this way forever. I sure hope not! But for now that's how it is.

Two of my boys have minds like steel traps. They constantly reference facts, skills, and trivia that they briefly studied years ago.

The other two claim not to recall a thing. Don't remember this book, don't recall that field trip. On one hand, that's pretty sad, but on the other hand I can see how homeschooling has shaped their character and informed their opinions. They see the world differently because they've been immersed in the best ideas for their entire childhood. All their lessons were worthwhile. Every historical event, every wonderful story, every chance to marvel at the natural world...these moments made them who they are and taught them to care about all the right things.

No, you are not wasting your time. I promise.

Somehow my son continues to blow me away with what he knows. The only problem is that most of what he knows is not what I have taught him but what he has picked up on his own, sometimes (but not always) inspired by school subjects.

Most of what I know is not what I was taught either. I tend to remember things that interest me, that I seek out on my own and study of my own volition. Teach them to read, write and do math. I think the rest falls into place.

I remember pretty much nothing from my early elementary years. I hope my boys come away with an impression that history, science, and the like are interesting and enjoyable studies. If they connect deeply enough to remember something specific, great. But that's not my goal for those subjects. I don't feel they are a waste of time though. They, and reading, are the highlights of our school days. If my kids disliked history or specific book at this age I'd find something different to take the place.

2nd grade? i remember something about a reading group. thats about it.

According to my brain, the only thing I did second grade was color a picture of a blue jay for a school contest. Third grade consisted entirely of getting in trouble for pretending my hand was the earth and orbiting it around the sun (the head of the kid in front of me).

I don't recall a specific lesson from school until fifth grade.

I did most of Ancients with dd10 back when she was in 2nd, then in 3rd we New World Explorers and Colonial Times. This year we're doing Ancients again. I've asked her questions about specific ancient history topics before we cover them again and I get complete nada...she acts like she's never heard of what I'm talking about. However, once we are reading\learning about the topic again she'll stop me part of the way through the chapter, book, or documentary, and start recalling all kinds of information. My questions just don't ignite those memories the way more information does. Each time we go over these topics, each time in more depth, it seems the memories or knowledge becomes more easily retrieved.

Just keep on keeping on..your endeavors are not in vain.

Maybe today wasn't the best day of school. Do your kids remember what you do year to year in content subjects? They remember math, grammar, writing, but I asked Rebecca about last year and she squinted her eyes and said, "We studied America, right?" :banghead: I'm reading Amy Carmichael out loud and allowing them to play quietly while I read and they can't remember a thing. I might as well sit in my room and read to myself if they're getting nothing out of it. Yet they love the story and Sylvia named a character in a game "Amy" for Amy Carmichael.

3 weeks ago, my TEN year old did not know what country we live in. I was shocked.

This isn't the first time one of my kids has floored me with what they have not retained.

So, yea, I feel like that A LOT!

See you are doing it all wrong. I pick stuff that interests "me" at this point. So if they don't remember it, oh well, at least "I" enjoyed myself. LOL

THIS exactly!!!

The poast few weeks I have finally realized that I cannot continue trying to get my kids to actually pay attention to me when I do school with all of them. The 4 youngest ones anyway. I have kept them together as much as possible and honestly, if it's not something they care about or read for themselves, they don't listen to flippin thing I say.

Fine.

Lats week I had it and handed the 9 yo and 10 yo boys a couple books each, and a stack of worksheets and now they can sit there and do that till their butts are flatter than a pancake! I'm reading to the 6 and 7 yo because our state requires science and social studies, they do a couple ETC worksheets, and whatever math they pick up and that's it.

But, "I" want to read the Little House on the Prairie books and when I'm reading they (after YEARS of teaching them) are semi-quiet and I make them sit (in one spot at least) so it's quiter than normal and "I" like the books and I record that in the stupid education log the stupid state requires and now I am MUCH less stressed and my kitchen is clean!!!

So there!!!

I always hated history so now that I'm teaching Asher (and Jackson, sort of), I think it's fascinating. I have very few "pegs" so when we come across something I vaguely remember, I get very excited. Asher, on the other hand, not so much. He can remember every type of volcano, cloud, and the layers of the earth, but not the history we read this morning. I just hope I am putting in more pegs for them so when they finally *want* to learn, it will be easier.

It is VERY hit-or-miss what my kids will remember. We did two years of U.S. history before this year, so I figured I would give the Social Studies subtest of the ITBS to my DD this time around instead of skipping it (we are testing just for my own reference). She had some appalling gaps but then got some really obscure test questions correct. :glare:

3 weeks ago, my TEN year old did not know what country we live in. I was shocked.

This isn't the first time one of my kids has floored me with what they have not retained.

So, yea, I feel like that A LOT!

Ok, but he's 10 - this could be for a *totally* different reason, KWIM?? Yesterday I handed dd10 her MM Fractions review page, and she acted like she had NEVER SEEN fractions before. Yes, this is, in fact, the topic we have been studying. Daily. For two months.

But then today she did the test, and got 92%, so something was getting through, right?

I am convinced that 10 is the age at which their brains are going through a constant process of distinigration and reformation. On a daily, or sometimes hourly, basis.

No, I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. We get the "deer in headlights" thing around here, too, but that's part of the process. OTOH, if it's discouraging you, here are some ideas that I have found helpful:

• It helps us to periodically "recap" as you read throughout the year. Last year, we did an Around-the-World Geography study. I asked questions about countries we had studied in previous weeks. "Who can tell me what countries we've studied so far? Who can tell me a complete thought about that country?" We are studying American History this year, and we keep reviewing (briefly). "Where are we up to in our story so far?" Same with Bible stories. This year we're working through the Old Testament. "Where are we up to in our story so far?" Same with Science, but in that we simply review quickly through our main resource.

• It helps us to periodically talk about previous years. "This reminds me of last year, when we studied ______. Remember? We learned about _____ and _____. Who was that person who __________?" Jogs the memory. Or humbles the teacher.

• It helps us to involve even young students in the planning of what you want to study, and when. My oldest child could tell you what we focused on in Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade, and what we plan to study in future years, because we talk about it openly. "We learned about Animals in Kindergarten. We studied Human Body and Plants in 1st grade. This year, we're exploring Geology and Weather/Water as part of Earth Science. Next year, we'll focus on Astronomy." Provide a framework, review the framework, and this might help some students know where to "store" their information.

• It helps us to occasionally offer money to the student who can answer a question from a previous area of study. "A quarter to anyone who can tell me a complete thought about any of the Native American tribes we studied last semester!" They usually all get the quarter! :)

• It helps us to utilize audiobooks for much of our content. We don't used ABs for all of it, of course, but there are so many wonderful resources already "read aloud." This helps to save my voice, LOL, which makes such a difference (especially in the winter, when my voice goes "out"). The repetition aids retention. The girls have listened to hours and hours and hours of audiobooks -- Your Story Hour, Greathall Productions, Story of the World, and full-length chapter books on audio (from the library). Well worth using, and using again.

• It helps to pause (during read alouds or lessons) if it seems a student has something to say. For my girls, being able to contribute their thoughts about Christopher Columbus or geysers or blue grass music really helps them to own what they're learning. They're thinking through the material again, "experiencing" it again, deciding what they think about it. Young children don't really have enough exposure to Topic X to retain it after one pass. Their little wisp of a thought can grow into deeper understanding if we stop and let them form the thought into something fuller, using words. Conversation is free, but mostly under-utilized. HTH.

Timelines work well around here. I don't expect them to remember exact dates for everything only very special dates that everyone should know but I expect for them to tell me around what time period certain things occurred. I try to go over specific people and events in history and then at the end of the week, I summarize it in a more condensed story so it can continue flowing to the next time period we are going to cover. In the condensed story, I only include the most important events and people and what lead to what is going on. We were covering explorers recently and I try to emphasis that this occurred in the late 1400's and early 1500's and which were the major people. How America is slowly being formed and who is settling where. It is coming together and I am trying to give them a clear idea of the bigger picture in History. We have covered some of it before and they do recall some of the stories as we go so it does come back but as others have said, it comes back to them when the information triggers it. I too have asked them before questions, which I am baffled, they don't know. But don't worry, as they get older, you will see your hard work come together.

Ok, but he's 10 - this could be for a *totally* different reason, KWIM?? Yesterday I handed dd10 her MM Fractions review page, and she acted like she had NEVER SEEN fractions before. Yes, this is, in fact, the topic we have been studying. Daily. For two months.

But then today she did the test, and got 92%, so something was getting through, right?

I am convinced that 10 is the age at which their brains are going through a constant process of distinigration and reformation. On a daily, or sometimes hourly, basis.

If this was the only time or new or rare, I would agree with you but this wasn't the first or rare or...

This is one of the reasons I don't formally teach content areas until middle school. I prefer to follow the children's interest and just focus on reading good books and watching educational DVDs about anything and everything. It works. My 2nd daughter went to public school in 8th grade and was bored to tears in her "advanced" science class.

Susan in TX

I did feel that way at one point. I just hated putting effort into something that neither of us was persuaded was worth our time and so began my inclination to go delighted directed (his and mine) in content subjects (until some future point) besides some core knowledge that I believe is important enough that I will keep plugging away at getting it stuck in his head and not resent the effort. We cover a lot of content and enjoy doing so but my energy is poured into skills, character and nourishing the relationship (we enjoy each other a lot more than we did at the beginning).

Best wishes for a solution to your own situation. (Hugs)

((hugs)) yes you're making an impression. If i told you I couldn't recall details from a year ago, you'd so yeah, ok, and then prompt me with questions.... You might even prompt, but crystal, you did such and such and remember the day you were in front of the web cam at the beach... and...

then, something would click...

sometimes we can't recall things very quickly on stuff, and need more time to have that part of our brain recall stuff. It's ok. ((hugs)) give a prompt.. show something from your notebook, or timeline..... and then prompt and remind.

it could be as simple as needing an extra moment or two to recall. Even as adults we don't remember without something to prompt once in a while..... Scrapbooks, post cards from vacations.... flipping through cell phone pics...... laughing about the web cam incident on the beach LOL LOL...

yes... you're making a good impression on them with good stories and good memories. If a student needs a prompt, visual reminder, hints... etc to recall stuff from last year, it's a sign they are normal.

I wouldn't assume they aren't getting anything out of it. If I played a game real quick: Amber, tell me 3 things you taught in March of last year... go...tell me now.... you'd probably hesitate.think... do something to recall it....... maybe that's all that's going on with this. maybe it isn't that they don't remember, it's just they aren't thinking on it.

I'm sure you're not wasting your time. ((hugs)) it's a good book with a teary ending..... get your tissue box ready.....

Just because you don't remember learning anything in 2nd grade doesn't mean you didn't learn anything in second grade: somewhere you learned that George Washington was the first president or that matter is made of atoms or that there are fifty states. The "what I know" and "where I learned it" parts of memory are separate, and develop at different rates--which is why it's easy to imprint false memories in kids: you tell them something happened, and they remember that they know it happened, they don't remember that the reason they know that is that you told them.

So expecting a kid to remember what you studied the year before is likely to be frustrating because they don't know when they learned what they know. But, as mentioned above, a lot of that knowledge is still there, and will swim up and connect with other things they learn.

Two of my boys have minds like steel traps. They constantly reference facts, skills, and trivia that they briefly studied years ago.

The other two claim not to recall a thing. Don't remember this book, don't recall that field trip. On one hand, that's pretty sad, but on the other hand I can see how homeschooling has shaped their character and informed their opinions. They see the world differently because they've been immersed in the best ideas for their entire childhood. All their lessons were worthwhile. Every historical event, every wonderful story, every chance to marvel at the natural world...these moments made them who they are and taught them to care about all the right things.

No, you are not wasting your time. I promise.

Beautiful post.

I did feel that way at one point. I just hated putting effort into something that neither of us was persuaded was worth our time and so began my inclination to go delighted directed (his and mine) in content subjects (until some future point) besides some core knowledge that I believe is important enough that I will keep plugging away at getting it stuck in his head and not resent the effort. We cover a lot of content and enjoy doing so but my energy is poured into skills, character and nourishing the relationship (we enjoy each other a lot more than we did at the beginning).

Best wishes for a solution to your own situation. (Hugs)

:iagree:

I hear you. I often feel that way.

When I think back to second grade I remember crying over long division and playing with money manipulatives. I do remember my teacher being amazingly kind and hugging me and helping me to understand long division, and I remember loving her! Oh and I remember the journal teddy bear where we each got to take home the bear and journal about our weekend, and bring a stuffed bear to school on Fridays

Reflecting upon that puts things into perspective. Methinks I will stress less about the content and work on making great memories . . .