Menu

Jane Austen Enthusiasts..

Stayseeliz

Bride and Prejudice is fun.

There are TONS of "fanfiction" books out there that explore what-ifs. Some are better than others. I've read many as they are sort of my guilty pleasure. If you go to fanfiction.net you'll find hundreds of various quality for free. Or you can search on Amazon for published ones.

An Assembly Such as This is a good one, the first of a series of three. The second one is horrible, imo, but the first and last are surprisingly great.

I thought the trilogy (by Pamela Aidan) was pretty good (I agree that the 2nd book was my least favorite) but for some reason, I found the language harder to read than actual Jane Austen novels. I've recommended this before in another Jane Austen thread, but I suggest trying something by Georgette Heyer. One of my favorites by Heyer is The Grand Sophy.

I'm reading Evelina, by Frances/Fanny Burney. Definitely interesting (a precursor) for a Jane Austen enthusiast.

Laura

:iagree: Also try Maria Edgeworth's novels. Belinda and Helen are two of my favorites. Jane Fairfax by Joan Aiken was also very good.

I'm reading Evelina, by Frances/Fanny Burney. Definitely interesting (a precursor) for a Jane Austen enthusiast.

Laura

This! And the rec for Maria Edgeworth - also look up Georgette Heyer. The Grand Sophy was one of my favorites by Heyer, but they're all fun. Reading all of those will keep you busy. On the kindle look for 'girlebook classics'. There are several fun authors on there.

This! And the rec for Maria Edgeworth - also look up Georgette Heyer. The Grand Sophy was one of my favorites by Heyer, but they're all fun. Reading all of those will keep you busy. On the kindle look for 'girlebook classics'. There are several fun authors on there.

Which Maria Edgeworth do you recommend beginning with?

Laura

An Assembly Such as This is a good one, the first of a series of three. The second one is horrible, imo, but the first and last are surprisingly great.

I agree that the second book of the series is absurd and contributes nothing interesting. Although I enjoyed the first and third books, a little bit, I feel that the author over-feminized Mr. Darcy's responses and thoughts. He emerges a bit too sappy for my taste. Any reader would recognize that a woman wrote the book, and that she has small-to-moderate understanding of how men are. What I do like are the side-plot elements involving his sister and Lord Dyfed.

I'm having withdrawals!! I've read all the books and watched all the movies. I'm anxiously waiting on the next Lizzie Bennet Diairies video to come out..I need something!!

Modern remakes? Modern books? Spinoffs? Etc..

Thanks! :)

I've been reading this all week - B**ch in a Bonnet: Reclaiming Jane Austen from the Stiffs, the Snobs, the Simps, and the Saps

I have to force myself to STOP reading and make dinner or whatever - it's that good. And it was only 99 cents on the kindle. Fun read!