Menu

Anyone do something besides a strong History emphasis in the lower grades?

Michelle My Bell

I have been homeschooling for 13 years now and I feel like we have always had a strong History emphasis in our homeschool. Even the different programs out there on the market have history at their core with even the literature readings revolving around the history topic. I just don't want to do it next year. My older ones will work through their program of study, but for my youngest two, I want to do something else. I have been leaning towards Beautiful Feet Geography but I am not sure about that even. This year my son used Memoria Press which doesn't really have a lot of history. We have read a bunch of picture books and had a wonderful time. I may go that route again and include longer read alouds. I would like to know what others have done for inspiration. So what have you done for your kids besides a history focus?

I've moved my younger dd (and am still in the process of moving her) towards literature and science. My older dd is very interested in history and also, as a high school student, is taking a humanities approach towards history, so she still leans more heavily towards a history focus. My younger dd seems to be taking a bigger interest in science and I'm trying to work with her on this. I had decided last year to begin to focus more, in general, towards literature.

When my youngest was in K, we used WinterPromise Animals and Their Worlds. Everything has an animal focus. When my middle ds was in 9th grade, he used WinterPromise Sea and Sky. It has a science focus.

I like the idea of focusing on something other than history. My youngest isn't interested in history and I suspect that having our school revolve around history would just mean that everything I attempt to upload into his wee little brain would be a file scheduled for auto delete. :-D

Mandy

I have been homeschooling for 13 years now and I feel like we have always had a strong History emphasis in our homeschool. Even the different programs out there on the market have history at their core with even the literature readings revolving around the history topic. I just don't want to do it next year. My older ones will work through their program of study, but for my youngest two, I want to do something else. I have been leaning towards Beautiful Feet Geography but I am not sure about that even. This year my son used Memoria Press which doesn't really have a lot of history. We have read a bunch of picture books and had a wonderful time. I may go that route again and include longer read alouds. I would like to know what others have done for inspiration. So what have you done for your kids besides a history focus?

If you're thinking about geography, you may want to look in to Exploring Countries & Cultures by My Father's World.

I tend to think of history and geography as both being social studies. To me there is no difference in focusing on ancients or focusing on geography, so I totally blocked out that part of your post. In K my little guy did Animals and Their Worlds, but we also did some geography through puzzles and locating where animals lived. In first and second grade we did various aspects of world history and in third grade we did US history. This year in fourth grade we are doing world geography and our literature selections are tied to our geography. We are using a modified WinterPromise Children Around the World. So, if you want to do geography, WP's CATW is something else to consider.

HTH-

Mandy

I have never used a history focused curriculum. History is content. I have always focused on skills and/or religion first.

I have never bought the Robinson Curriculum, but Art Robinson was a big influence on me in the late 90s when I was panicking over teaching high school science. There were times we used Saxon math and it and other math took up a big part of our day. I would no longer allow math to take up such a focus, but it's what I did back then, but I still prioritize advanced maths over high school science texts.

I've gone through phases where I wrote my own Bible based unit studies or used Students of the Word and Blessed is the Man. Now there is also ULBUSA for just $14.00 if anyone is looking to for a Bible focus. Also there is Bedell and Teaching With God's Heart for the World (free).

Part 2 of Climbing Parnassus was my scope and sequence with my youngest for a couple years, when he thought he wanted to pursue a degree in classics. We used a lot of Loeb Classics back then, including the Greek math books. These cute little books have the Greek/Latin on one page and the English translation on the facing page. Before LCC was written, there was The Devil Knows Latin and Quintilian as well as Climbing Parnassus. Another popular oldchool preLCC test was Composition in the Classical Tradition.

The social studies and science topics that I have prioritized are centered on the topics covered in the overlap of geography and environmental science. There is an AP environmental science test that makes a good spine for late high school science for some students. Most 2 year colleges and some 4 year colleges offer environmental science and nutrition as nonlab courses that fill the science requirements. There is much historical precedent for teaching geography as the only content subject and this practice is still followed today by Amish schools. Train Up a Child about the Amish schools is a must read and there is a large sample at Google Books. They prioritize the 3Rs, art, geography, and health in that order of importance.

Prepare and Pray is an interesting curriculum that focuses on emergency preparedness using Swiss Family Robinson as it's focus.

We're looking at a Waldorf-inspired curriculum (self created). So, 1st grade focuses on fairy tales; 2nd grade Native American tales, Saints and Heroes, Trickster tales; 3rd grade Old Testament/Creation Stories and practical life (shelters, food, clothing), 4th grade is Norse myths, etc.

There's a big part of me that wants to do SOTW type stuff at this age, but there's still so much time to cover that--but I feel that the time to really enjoy fables and such is more limited.

I'm not traditional Waldorf in that while I may do those as blocks, I don't forego math for a month or two either. We do daily math, daily foreign language, etc. I also really like the concept of letting a child sleep on a story... so I'll often tell a story at bedtime on Monday.

We're looking at a Waldorf-inspired curriculum (self created). So, 1st grade focuses on fairy tales; 2nd grade Native American tales, Saints and Heroes, Trickster tales; 3rd grade Old Testament/Creation Stories and practical life (shelters, food, clothing), 4th grade is Norse myths, etc.

There's a big part of me that wants to do SOTW type stuff at this age, but there's still so much time to cover that--but I feel that the time to really enjoy fables and such is more limited.

I'm not traditional Waldorf in that while I may do those as blocks, I don't forego math for a month or two either. We do daily math, daily foreign language, etc. I also really like the concept of letting a child sleep on a story... so I'll often tell a story at bedtime on Monday.

This sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

I have never used a history focused curriculum. History is content. I have always focused on skills and/or religion first.

I have never bought the Robinson Curriculum, but Art Robinson was a big influence on me in the late 90s when I was panicking over teaching high school science. There were times we used Saxon math and it and other math took up a big part of our day. I would no longer allow math to take up such a focus, but it's what I did back then, but I still prioritize advanced maths over high school science texts.

I've gone through phases where I wrote my own Bible based unit studies or used Students of the Word and Blessed is the Man. Now there is also ULBUSA for just $14.00 if anyone is looking to for a Bible focus. Also there is Bedell and Teaching With God's Heart for the World (free).

Part 2 of Climbing Parnassus was my scope and sequence with my youngest for a couple years, when he thought he wanted to pursue a degree in classics. We used a lot of Loeb Classics back then, including the Greek math books. These cute little books have the Greek/Latin on one page and the English translation on the facing page. Before LCC was written, there was The Devil Knows Latin and Quintilian as well as Climbing Parnassus. Another popular oldchool preLCC test was Composition in the Classical Tradition.

The social studies and science topics that I have prioritized are centered on the topics covered in the overlap of geography and environmental science. There is an AP environmental science test that makes a good spine for late high school science for some students. Most 2 year colleges and some 4 year colleges offer environmental science and nutrition as nonlab courses that fill the science requirements. There is much historical precedent for teaching geography as the only content subject and this practice is still followed today by Amish schools. Train Up a Child about the Amish schools is a must read and there is a large sample at Google Books. They prioritize the 3Rs, art, geography, and health in that order of importance.

Prepare and Pray is an interesting curriculum that focuses on emergency preparedness using Swiss Family Robinson as it's focus.

I looked at Prepare and Pray. I really like the looks of it but not for a whole curricula. I am thinking of looking into the Webelos books for ideas for handicrafts for boys. Since I am single, I don't really want to join a Boy Scouts organization, but I like the idea of gaining the skills none the less.

We have a strong literature focus to our days. I do not tie it to any historical time period, but rather read the books I want (and I use lists like the "Good Books" list from the Great Books Academy site). In a day to day basis, that ends up being two novels (I'm reading one during the day and dh reads one at bedtime), fairy & folk tales, and stories from Shakespeare.

At other times of the day I read other things as well - religion/Saint stories, geography (using BF's geography units), science, and history. But those are all content subjects for us and aside from the religion reading, only happen once or twice a week. Literature, though, is at least a five day a week thing here. That is our anchor.

Yes, my children are in Kindergarten (twins) and 2nd grade, and we definitely do not structure our school or our lives around a strong History emphasis. Here's what we do instead:

• English -- Our #1 academic priority is building skills in English: listening, speaking, reading, penmanship (cursive), spelling, vocabulary, grammar & mechanics, memorization (poetry), copywork, dictation, narration, composition
  • Math -- Our #2 academic priority is building skills in Math

These two areas of skill-building are the most important blocks in our structure. The next level, with a focus on content that matters to us, includes Bible & Literature/Poetry.

• Bible -- We read the Bible, read through a children's Bible story book, sing hymns, memorize psalms, and so on.
  • Literature & Poetry -- We read aloud from chapter books, fables, myths, children's classics, picture books, poetry, and listen to many full-length audiobooks.

At the third level, we focus again on building skills (2nd grade only), in Latin, Greek, Music, and French:

• Latin & Greek -- a very basic introduction to Latin, Latin/Greek roots, and the Greek alphabet
  • Music -- introductory music theory + in-home instrument lessons & practice
  • French -- introductory oral/aural French, introductory French reading & copywork, listening to French songs

Next, as time permits, we work our way through more content as a group:

• Geography -- We learn US Geography (maps, songs, puzzles).
  • History -- We read aloud through US History (all the books in a box, arranged chronologically).
  • Science -- We read through a spine and other books (Earth Science).
  • Nature Study -- We spend as much time outdoors as weather permits.

As you can see, History is quite far down our list of things to do in K-2nd. That doesn't mean we don't invest in resources for it, nor does it mean we take a slipshod approach to it when time does permit. What it means is that, if we must pass on History for the day in order to build skills in English and Math, or cover content in Bible and Literature, or (again) build skills in other skill subjects, then we will pass on History without panic. The study of History, though important in some ways, is not the organizing principle of our curricular structure in the primary grades. Furthermore, it is only one category of content, neither more nor less important than learning about sedimentary rocks in Science or the name and habitat of a wildflower in Nature Study or the states of New England in Geography. HTH.

Maybe never finding a boxed program that worked for us was a blessing in disguise! Because when I thought of what my answer would be to your OP, it occurred to me that we don't have an emphasis here. Or, rather, maybe our emphasis is on balance. I give pretty equal weight to the different content areas, weaving things together wherever possible (history with science, music and art with history and science, geography with history and current events, etc.). I have always come up with my own book lists and schedule and we wrap almost all skill work into the content we study. Anyway, interesting question!

Sorry, Michelle, I just read through the other replies and realized my post is probably not very helpful. Rather than delete it, I'll just leave it there for whatever it's worth (two cents, LOL).

When we were first starting to wrap our heads around homeschooling, it seemed as though most of the conventional wisdom was to place History in the center and work out from there. For whatever reason, it never felt like a fit for our family. That's why we came up with the above-outlined structure. To me, it seems to put History in its proper place, for our kids, at this level. The skills are essential, so we focus on those. Bible and Literature content is more central for us, so we place those "higher" in the scheme of things. Anyway, I hope this ramble about a non-History-focused structure helps someone.

Note: Another option instead of Boy Scouts might be Royal Rangers.

Sorry, Michelle, I just read through the other replies and realized my post is probably not very helpful. Rather than delete it, I'll just leave it there for whatever it's worth (two cents, LOL).

When we were first starting to wrap our heads around homeschooling, it seemed as though most of the conventional wisdom was to place History in the center and work out from there. For whatever reason, it never felt like a fit for our family. That's why we came up with the above-outlined structure. To me, it seems to put History in its proper place, for our kids, at this level. The skills are essential, so we focus on those. Bible and Literature content is more central for us, so we place those "higher" in the scheme of things. Anyway, I hope this ramble about a non-History-focused structure helps someone.

Note: Another option instead of Boy Scouts might be Royal Rangers.

Actually your post really spoke to me! I am so glad you shared. I love the idea of a tiered approach. I feel like this might be what I am looking for. Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to use your ideas to help structure next years work. :)

Yes, my children are in Kindergarten (twins) and 2nd grade, and we definitely do not structure our school or our lives around a strong History emphasis. Here's what we do instead:

• English -- Our #1 academic priority is building skills in English: listening, speaking, reading, penmanship (cursive), spelling, vocabulary, grammar & mechanics, memorization (poetry), copywork, dictation, narration, composition

These two areas of skill-building are the most important blocks in our structure. The next level, with a focus on content that matters to us, includes Bible & Literature/Poetry.

• Bible -- We read the Bible, read through a children's Bible story book, sing hymns, memorize psalms, and so on.
  • Literature & Poetry -- We read aloud from chapter books, fables, myths, children's classics, picture books, poetry, and listen to many full-length audiobooks.

At the third level, we focus again on building skills (2nd grade only), in Latin, Greek, Music, and French:

• Latin & Greek -- a very basic introduction to Latin, Latin/Greek roots, and the Greek alphabet
  • French -- introductory oral/aural French, introductory French reading & copywork, listening to French songs

• History -- We read aloud through US History (all the books in a box, arranged chronologically).

I have a similar philosophy, but my tiers look different:

Math

English/Literature

Religion

<Extracurriculars>

Science/Nature Study

History/Geography

We haven't started Latin yet, so I don't know where I am going to classify it. I expect it will go in the top four.

With limited time and many kids, I have to prioritize. Skill areas always come first. We *always* get to math, english, and literature.

As you can see, History is quite far down our list of things to do in K-2nd. That doesn't mean we don't invest in resources for it, nor does it mean we take a slipshod approach to it when time does permit. What it means is that, if we must pass on History for the day in order to build skills in English and Math, or cover content in Bible and Literature, or (again) build skills in other skill subjects, then we will pass on History without panic. The study of History, though important in some ways, is not the organizing principle of our curricular structure in the primary grades. Furthermore, it is only one category of content, neither more nor less important than learning about sedimentary rocks in Science or the name and habitat of a wildflower in Nature Study or the states of New England in Geography. HTH.

This reminds me of a book I recently read called Record of a School. The school was skill based as well, history and content was added here and there, but not a focus. This is a good post. I'm glad you didn't delete it.

I love Five in a Row for these ages. You can go off on rabbit trails to do more history, more geography, more science, more art, more literature, or whatever lights your fancy. Or just do it as-is and don't take any rabbit trails at all. ;) I consider these really character-building years, getting them to reading and loving learning, and teaching them to put their trust in Jesus Christ and the Word of God.

That said, I love how MFW does this in the early years. Some have complained because MFW doesn't cover enough "history" in K-2nd (or even 3rd if you include ECC... well shucks, some have even complained about the lack of secular history in CTG, LOL), but I think it's just right. Here's the link to a post I wrote about the MFW elementary sequence one time: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4004#p66798

History with my youngest dd at this point has been real hit-or-miss. I've used/am using parts of several different "programs", and I've felt guilty at times about not sticking strictly to one thing, but ultimately, my goal is to keep the same "feel" that I described above. Her greater needs have been in reading, LA skills (due to a speech disorder), Bible/trusting Jesus, and health needs. I do think history is an incredibly important subject, but not in the early years.

Well, in first and second grade for my oldest, history was SOTW. It really didn't have any more time spent on it than other subjects. It certainly wasn't a focus. It was just like science - an extra. That child was reading well already, so I didn't need to spend time on teaching him to read. For literature, I gave him good books that had nothing to do with history.

My current K'er won't be doing history until 2nd grade, and his workload in history will depend on where his skills are. If he's reading well and ready to read to learn, I'll give him more history work. If he's still working on reading, he may just listen to SOTW and call it good. Next year in first, I plan to just read good books to him.

My oldest loves history and is doing Sonlight this year and next, but I still read other literature to everyone daily. History takes us less time than math. ;)

We don't do History at all in the early years...I started History with my oldest in the 5th grade, and plan to do the same with my younger two...My younger two focus on Phonics, Reading, Math and Writing - the basic skills...We own SOTW on CD, and they all love listening to it, but as far as teaching History as a subject to anyone in less than 5th grade, to quote Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that" :tongue_smilie:

A couple of people have mentioned Five in a Row, and that was something that popped into my mind as well. Or, following the geography idea, what about something like Galloping the Globe or Cantering the Country, with a focus on geography and cultures? Or perhaps a literature based study like Prairie Primer??

I focus on skills first. History is gravy, but it's not a focus in any way, shape, or form. Plus my first grader enjoys history, and I need to save the big guns for the things she doesn't want to do.

For K it was pretty much "get her reading and adding." I used the sixties Lippincott Readers then, and they're awesome.

For first grade we do SM (Miquon and drill as-needed; we're at the end of 2A). Elson Reader (2). All About Spelling (1). Some cursive and copywork practice. Some Primary Language Lessons. Hebrew. Funnix 2 when I'm doing the Other Child. BFSU when I get time.

Preschool4 child is working on the first Essential Math, and the Lippincott Pre Primer.

In the evenings I read to her from Gombrich's Little History of the World or The Story of Art.

I love history and I do use quite a bit of history curricula, but even still it has never been our focus. Language arts has always been high on our priority list. Any in depth activities we do our literature/writing based. Math is a daily, obviously. But next in focus comes science. When we do get to history, it feels like an enormous accomplishment.

At those young ages, it's all about reading and math. Science is a close second. I do focus on science in those early ages. I've found myself doing so even more with my younger two. Little kids just seem to like the mess factor and are insanely curious about how the world works.

After the big Circe thread last year, my focus switched from history to skills and lit. Before that point I had happily used a boxed CM-type program with a history focus, but I was getting overwhelmed with it as we went up in levels. It was very freeing to let go of the history focus with its accompanying activities. This year has been a breath of fresh air while DS is strengthening his math and writing skills as well as enjoying good books. This will remain our tack through middle school, while in HS I expect we will become more interest- and future-focused. I've gone back to custom-piecing to accomplish this.

For the early grades (K-2), I have really come to appreciate the nature/handwork/story focus of Waldorf-inspired programs.

I tend to think of history and geography as both being social studies. To me there is no difference in focusing on ancients or focusing on geography, so I totally blocked out that part of your post. In K my little guy did Animals and Their Worlds, but we also did some geography through puzzles and locating where animals lived. In first and second grade we did various aspects of world history and in third grade we did US history. This year in fourth grade we are doing world geography and our literature selections are tied to our geography. We are using a modified WinterPromise Children Around the World. So, if you want to do geography, WP's CATW is something else to consider.

HTH-

Mandy

I just saw this and it is exactly what I've been looking for. Do you like the WP Children Around the World curriculum? I just glanced over the sample on their website and it looks great!

Thank you so much for this. As we plan to return to homeschooling this fall, your post has helped me to put my priorities in order and hammer out my own "mission statement" of sorts. :)

I think ours would be pretty "balanced". We switched from a history-heavy program to a simpler CM-based program. I think we spend more time on fine arts than an other area (except 3Rs). We work on literature, poetry, artist study, composer study, nature study, Chinese brush painting, sculpting, hymn study, drawing lessons, etc. Each day is a bit different and we love it! We work on history throughout the week, but it isn't our focus...although we are indirectly covering history through many of these other areas!

I started the year with SOTW, and quickly found that, while good, it wasn't really perfect for my son. I quickly discovered that the only way he would actually be really engaged was if we were studying battles. So, I have only been talking to him about battles, (we started with what I consider the top 10 most important in history), and that is now our history. This encompasses geography, and everything else under the sun, while presenting facts that he is totally willing to retain and become absorbed in. By no means is this the center of our curriculum. I would say we are definitely all about the 3 R's with tons of literature constantly, but history has become this really fun tier two activity that doesn't even feel like work. I think it's a subject that can be at the center of everything, without being the absolute focus -- if that makes sense.

I think ours would be pretty "balanced". We switched from a history-heavy program to a simpler CM-based program. I think we spend more time on fine arts than an other area (except 3Rs). We work on literature, poetry, artist study, composer study, nature study, Chinese brush painting, sculpting, hymn study, drawing lessons, etc. Each day is a bit different and we love it! We work on history throughout the week, but it isn't our focus...although we are indirectly covering history through many of these other areas!

This sounds marvelous!