Menu

Do you lick your fingers when eating food?

MissKNG

Do you lick your fingers?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lick your fingers when eating food?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

It is one of my absolute pet peeves. It totally grosses me out.

We have a dear friend who does, and I just can't even look at him while he eats.

Use cloth napkins, that way the paper doesn't tear when you wipe your hands.

lol..all I can think of is the local wing place and how UNlikely it is that they will have cloth napkins. I lick my fingers in an unobtrusive manner, but only if eating wings in a casual setting, or other similar type situation. Not at a nicely set table.

No. I very rarely put my hands anywhere near my face and encourage my family members to keep their hands away from their face. We also VERY rarely get sick, and if we do, it's so very mild.

The thought of licking my fingers or seeing someone else do it makes me sick. I'm LOLing at my dramatic horror, but I'm serious.

If I'm eating food that I eat with my hands, I probably do. I don't get the big deal. If it is always gross to lick your fingers, then it should always be gross to eat anything with your hands. Since I like burgers, wings, tacos, and nachos, I'm not going to quit eating with my hands and occasionally licking my fingers.

I don't think this follows. What about hands-with-a-napkin-for-clean-up?

If my fingers are too disgusting to put into my mouth, why are they not too disgusting to hold the food I put into my mouth? I rarely lick my fingers and if I do it's definitely not in a way that's very noticeable, but I just don't get the big deal. I also use a napkin.

No. Except for sandwiches, I eat with utensils.

That's kind of what I was going to say. I don't lick my fingers because I don't like to eat with my hands and rarely do so. If forced to use my hands, like fried chicken, then I try to use as few fingers as possible to minimize the mess and I use a napkin and wash my hands immediately after.

I have issues. :)

That's kind of what I was going to say. I don't lick my fingers because I don't like to eat with my hands and rarely do so. If forced to use my hands, like fried chicken, then I try to use as few fingers as possible to minimize the mess and I use a napkin and wash my hands immediately after.

I should add that I also hate it when people chew with their mouth open, make smacking noises, swallow really loudly, slurp, etc.

Issues. Definitely issues.

I should add that I also hate it when people chew with their mouth open, make smacking noises, swallow really loudly, slurp, etc.

I really don't have a problem with finger licking, but I do have a problem with all of the above. :tongue_smilie:

Eating a Fresh Hot Krispy Kreme regular glazed donut without finger licking seems wrong in a philosophical way. It just does!

Oh yeah! A mom brought some Krispy Kremes to a soccer game for us parents and as I took one, I noticed there were no napkins. What was one to do?! I jokingly said to those who were reaching in along with me that I won't look at them licking their fingers if they won't look at me licking mine. Everyone laughed. And you know, I think everyone licked!!

This is me if I can help it. I'm the one holding the "whatever" with my index finger and thumb while trying desperately not to let the "whatever" fall.

I should just follow you around with this sign ---> :iagree:

Dh and I *hate* when it's time to leave Costco (or Sam's) because it's the "walk of grossness". You know, where you have to pass the tables where people are smacking and masticating pizza and ice cream? It seems that place (the food 'court' thingy) attracts all the uncouth and scruffy people who take perverse pleasure in showing the world their poor manners and chewed up food. Last week, we were grossed out by some lady with her pizza at arm's length pulling in the stringy cheese with her already full (and chewed up food) mouth while talking to the lady across from her (who was dribbling something from her mouth while talking back). We were so grossed out!!

I guess I'm a finger licker, but only with foods I'm already eating with my hands. BBQ, wings, etc. Obviously, a sandwich is fairly easy to eat and doesn't require finger licking unless it's a subway sweet onion chicken sub with too much sauce on it. But I don't push my whole finger in my mouth, just from the side where the sauce is. And generally only when eating it at home. I think BBQ and wings...finger licking is expected no matter where you are. Better a small lick than a blob of sauce falling onto your lap (thinking picnic style). I honestly think there should be discretion on both sides. Lickers, don't shove your whole hand in your mouth like a toddler. Watchers...stop staring at people while they eat!

Lol oh yes there is definitely some issue with not being able to unsee grossness but I don't see finger licking with something like a donut, or wings (which are gross anyway to eat the whole sucking and gnawing thing) that is expected to be a bit messy, as gross as watching someone eat *shudder*.

Eta wildcat I agree a quick swipe of fingers is much prefered to the only sucking slurpy thing

Yeah, without thinking I do and once I start thinking about it (and all the medical/biology classes I've taken) I get kinda disgusted with myself. I blame it on being raised with takeout and not seeing a dinner napkin until I was in middle school, still seems like either a waste of trees (paper) or laundry/place setting time (cloth).