Menu

Long Hair Help

Pamela H in Texas

Okay, by the time my hair gets down to my bOOkshelf strap, I'm ready to cut it usually. Most of the time, it seems a but "fuzzy" and then the split ends and I can't seem to do anything with it other than sit back on it which drives me batty.

HOWEVER, this time I *can't* cut my hair.

My daughter recently turned 7. She had an extremely short bob when she got here due to lice (the bio family and foster family just didn't seem to be able to get rid of it. She missed 42 days of school from Sept to Feb because of lice! Obviously, part of that was due to neglect). Well, all along, she wanted to grow her hair out. Now it has been 20 months and her hair is past where a bookshelf strap would be (not quite to the small of her back, but close). It is beautiful and healthy. She has NO intention on cutting it.

What does this have to do with me? We're in this together :) It is a bonding thing on top of her preference and I'm all for it.

Welll, that isn't quite true. I'm at the point that I usually just cut all my hair off and start over (my avatar pic is from Oct 2010).

Okay, so last night I went and had the split ends cut off. I think she took a little much off (we discusssed half an inch, but....). It is a little under the bOOkshelf strap. Regardless, it is what it is. Now, how do I keep this HEALTHY when my daughter currently has no intention on us ever cutting the length again (I'm really hoping that when it becomes a pain, more than it already is, with her gymnastics, she'll decide that long is good, that she doesn't have to have it to the floor).

Oh, so general health information would be appreciated, but....but the color I used last has washed out a good bit and the remaining color is ugly (and ugly dishwater greenish/goldish blonde). So am I going to damage it if I color it?

I keep mine healthy by avoiding color, blow drying and prodcuts in general. I wash, give it a comb out then wrap in in a bun held with a hair clip. When I let it down it has a nice wave to it. Sometimes I put in a pony tail at the back top (crown) and then braid the tail to keep it out of my way. In general I've found that the less handling the hair gets, the less split ends. Keeping it clipped or braided helps keep the tangles out so that reduces handling. I have very thick hair though, so you may need a different plan.

One piece of advice I recently learned is to get most of the water out of your hair before putting the cream rinse in. Wrap it in a towel or at least give it a good sqeese first. Apply conditioner then rinse. Since dd hates trims this helps keep her looking nice longer.

I put coconut oil on the ends before I get in the shower to protect them and use leave in conditioner. I haven't been about to get no poo to work so I switched to a sulfate free cleansing conditioner. It gets my hair clean, but is very gentle. Another tip is to only put the shampoo on your scalp, not the ends since the scalp is what is oily.

This site has a ton of people who are into long hair:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/indexvba.php

I pretty much never use a blow dryer or any heat on my hair. I use a good moisturizing shampoo and nice thick conditioner. I brush before I shower and use a wide toothed comb afterwards. Don't rumple up your hair while washing or conditioning. Shampoo the scalp and allow a little to go to the ends of your hair. Conditioner goes on the bottom half of hair and then a quick swipe for the top. Gently squeeze your hair dry.

I get highlights a few times a year, which doesn't really damage my hair. I always get compliments from hairdressers about how healthy it is.

I very much recommend the Long hair community (link above) .

Different people have different scalps, hair diameter, curl/straightness so its hard to give advice that would work for everyone.

*do not over-shampoo

*condition well

*comb carefully (do not brush unless it is straight hair and you are only smoothing, not detangling)

*fewer snarls, air drying, fewer chemicals or heat, combing through carefully after batheing lead to fewer split ends

*if certain activities lead to more snarls, contain hair during that period (braids, buns, half twist, etc)

Coloring can weaken hair, but if you take good care of it otherwise I don't think its that big of a deal. Like most things, its a trade off. Do you really want to color? Do it. No use feeling dowdy before you even start.

Thanks y'all.

It looks like I've done a good bit to keep my hair healthier. Maybe if I add a few things, I'll survive this :)

I really am not into putting my hair up. I'm glad I *can* (in terms of capability though I'm less able in terms of skill); but I like my hair down.

I may need to put it up more at key times though. Maybe I won't mind as much when I'm a little thinner (down 30 pounds now!).

But every time I watch Little House, I wonder why these women had this beautiful hair all hidden except just before bed.

Best thing I ever did for my long, thick wavy hair (that tends to get dry and frizzy, but with a funky, flakey scalp) was stop washing so often. I wash my hair once a week, maybe, and I use an all-natural shampoo bar; no chemical or surfactant-based shampoo. I use a little bit of conditioner on the length only, never on my scalp. I wear it up when I'm at home, which seems to protect the ends and helps keep it clean longer. I do wear it down when I'm out, though. My hair has never been healthier. No frizz, no split ends. I do color when I'm not pregnant. I'm currently expecting, so I'm only using henna products. I have black hair but I'm more than 50% gray, so it's not the best, but it's something.

I wash it 2-3 times per week, using soap just on the scalp, not length generally (though of course the soap washes down it). I can't imagine how I'd get away with just once a week. It's so greasy on top as it. I do use sulfate/sulfite free; but I'm afraid what we're using is a bit "stripping." We use it because of scalp issues though. I only use conditioner in the ponytail but I'll see about doing it as suggested above. I do use acv as a final step in washing though (again, primarily for my scalp).

Last night, after she cut it, it was so soft and nice. Today it feels dry.

I could probably put it up at least at home. That seems easy. I need to learn some ways to do so.

I think I'm going to color it an ash brown. That will give me a lot of time between colorings as it'll be a tad darker than my natural color even as it washes out. Also, it shouldn't, being a cool color, wash out to this awful greenish-golden blah. Hopefully.

Can someone recommend a good inexpensive leave in conditioner? I don't have a lot of money to experiment with, but I have tried the Garnier Fructise one, and it smells fabulous, but doesn't seem to really condition much. My girls and I have long, thick, dry, wavy hair.

Thanks!

I just found a new shampoo at Sally's called Hair One. It's $12 and compares to Wen. They have samples too for a $1.50. It's not a reg shampoo as it has no surfaces, etc. It is an extrinsic for your hair and cleanses and conditions at the same time. They have it for color treated hair, curly, dry, normal. I have SUPER oily, and baby fine hair and it leaves my hair light, fluffy and shiney. Worth a try. However you don't have to use as much as the bottle recommends.

Can someone recommend a good inexpensive leave in conditioner? I don't have a lot of money to experiment with, but I have tried the Garnier Fructise one, and it smells fabulous, but doesn't seem to really condition much. My girls and I have long, thick, dry, wavy hair.

Thanks!

Have you tried Argon Oil? Sally's sells that too.

I could probably put it up at least at home. That seems easy. I need to learn some ways to do so.

Try a sock bun!

Even when you're wanting your hair to be long, you need to have it trimmed ever so often.

I wash my waist-length hair daily. I use a blow dryer on Sunday mornings before church or any other time I need to be somewhere early before my hair air-dries. I cannot imagine washing it only 2 or 3 times a week. o_0

Even when you're wanting your hair to be long, you need to have it trimmed ever so often.

I wash my waist-length hair daily. I use a blow dryer on Sunday mornings before church or any other time I need to be somewhere early before my hair air-dries. I cannot imagine washing it only 2 or 3 times a week. o_0

I just want to say that I'm happy to see someone my age with long hair. Dh loves my hair long and since I don't have a preference, I like to keep it long for him. But everyone seems to get their hair cut short by the time they're 40...so at 51 I have no friends my age with long hair. So...thanks for posting!

I use a gentle shampoo and conditioner, with SLS and only shampoo about 3 times a week. I also rub coconut oil in the ends then braid and sleep overnight with it in once a week or so.

I also braid it on windy days or for activities that will cause it to end up one tangled lump.

Overall I just try to be gentle with it, only use heat for special occasions and moisturize it like crazy.

I just want to say that I'm happy to see someone my age with long hair. Dh loves my hair long and since I don't have a preference, I like to keep it long for him. But everyone seems to get their hair cut short by the time they're 40...so at 51 I have no friends my age with long hair. So...thanks for posting!

Here's the thing: You can take the girl out of the 60s, but you can't take the 60s out of the girl. :D

I did hula for a number of years; long hair was the norm for many of us dancers. :-)

I went ahead and dyed it, wanting to before it got longer. I also thought if I went a little darker, that maybe it would do better longer term, with the roots lighter than the rest though as the rest washed out, maybe it'd be about even. And I picked a cool color (rather than warm) for once so hopefully that helps the washed out color.

Well, I figured I'd try to match my son's hair thinking if we're similar coloring, I could easily do his hair. Well, I went a bit dark. I hope it fades a little soon.

SOoooo, several hair decisions this weekend. Now my hair is shorter than I expected (still under bookshelf strap) AND darker than ever. <sigh>

Thanks!

Any conditioner can be a 'leave in' conditioner. Just find one you like. BTW, the same 'rinse out' conditioner is perfectly fine as a leave in. They aren't any different from each other. Just use a dime sized amount and rub it between your hands and then apply it to wet hair. Don't rinse and it is 'leave in'. I have dry hair so I use conditioner, rinse it and then add a bit and leave it in. It doesn't do much, just makes it easier to comb and maybe makes it softer.

You can even make your own 'tangle free spray' by mixing any conditioner you like with water in a spray bottle. It should be quite thin and watery. Just give it a shake and spray it on.

I think it really depends on hair types. My hair is extremely fine and dry. If I washed it everyday it would split.

I've always had long hair. Its thick, wavy and frizzy if the weather is humid. Best thing I've ever done is stop using conditioner. I wash my hair every 4 days or so (depending on how warm it is) with Dr Bronners liquid soap (one wash only), then rinse with about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. If the ends feel dry I put a bit of coconut or sesame oil on them. I can't be bothered blow drying it, and I plait it if it starts to frizz, but this is very rare post-conditioner. My hair has become much curlier and heaps more manageable under this regimen. The added bonus is that I don't get eczema from the conditioner.

D

Thanks!

I have been using a Suave Keratin infusion (or something like that) leave in and it seems to make my hair happy. I also really like Infusium spray.

When in doubt though, a tiny bit of Jojoba oil rubbed into my palms then along the ends of my hair when it is wet really makes it feel nice.

Jojoba is actually a liquid wax, and is nearly identical to the skins natural sebum and oils. I use it on my face in the winter, and mixed with shea butter on my legs all year.

What is SLS?

My previous post should have said without SLS!

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, it makes the shampoo sudsier.

There are all sorts of horror stories about it causing cancer and hair loss, I don't know about that. But it is really harsh, and stripping, and it makes my scalp itch like crazy.

Even people who are growing their hair very long need regular trims, IMO, in order to keep it healthy, get rid of the split ends, even out the growth, etc. I would explain to your dd that you understand that she wants long hair, but that a tiny trim will help her hair look much nicer and healthier as it grows. There's a difference between a full-out hair cut and a trim. Both of my kids are growing their hair right now as well, but keeping it trimmed and healthy is just a non-negotiable part of the process.