Menu

What's the big deal with this storm??

Guest inoubliable

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're pretty close to each other! When we toured SUNY Geneseo a few months ago, one of the Bio professors mentioned that the valley there gets very little snow.

We get snow but we are outside the snow belt. The neighboring town gets hammered with snow while we may have an inch!! lol

Did you like the college?

I

9. But Western New Yorkers and neighboring Canadians discovered a great way to stay warm during The Blizzard of '77. Their secret was revealed by the 18% percent jump in the birth rate and 45% jump in the abortion rate after the storm of the century. That's why local comedians suggest the three B's for surviving a blizzard: Beer- Bread- Birth Control."[/i]

Ummm....I was a product of the blizzard of '77!

This blizzard is huge. I'm in MA and the governor ordered all cars off the road at 4 this afternoon. Connecticut and RI shut down 95 and the main highways.

After reading through some of this thread, I just want to point out that you can't compare storms based on living in different regions of the country. I grew up in VA and if VA got this storm, the state would be shut down for at least a week.

Could you please give us some prayers/good thoughts that power outages will be kept to the minimal and that people who lost power will be warm? This is the biggest concern right now. When we lost power in Irene and Sandy, the weather was warm, so heat wasn't an issue. Heat is a big issue now and people can't drive anywhere to seek shelter until the storm is over and the roads are plowed.

This blizzard is huge. I'm in MA and the governor ordered all cars off the road at 4 this afternoon. Connecticut and RI shut down 95 and the main highways.

After reading through some of this thread, I just want to point out that you can't compare storms based on living in different regions of the country. I grew up in VA and if VA got this storm, the state would be shut down for at least a week.

Could you please give us some prayers/good thoughts that power outages will be kept to the minimal and that people who lost power will be warm? This is the biggest concern right now. When we lost power in Irene and Sandy, the weather was warm, so heat wasn't an issue. Heat is a big issue now and people can't drive anywhere to seek shelter until the storm is over and the roads are plowed.

Yes. I've been praying /sending good thoughts!

2 feet in one day is BIG. The storm went through here today and I had to shovel out our driveway. Then it kept coming and I'll have to shovel more in the morning. Add to that the 3 foot wall the snow plow left at the end of my driveway :glare: Schools were closed here today. 2 feet of snow on the ground isn't unusual, but 2 feet in about 18 hours is a big deal here.

I could give you a perspective from northern NJ. We are in the 6-12" area, just on the edge of the 12-24" area. I'm not sure what we've had so far, because I go out every few hours and shovel up another 3-4" inches.

In my opinion, it is about Hurricane Sandy and several other recent storms when power was lost for prolonged periods. Across the NYC region, at any rate, the performance by power companies has been abysmal. That means that gas stations don't operate, banks and ATM machines are down, cell towers may work erratically or be out completely, supermarkets don't have refrigerated food and are running low on water and canned food. Not to mention being without light, heat, hot water, or any water for some people. And nowadays we are so used to having electronic access for information, communication, banking and so on.... Finding a place to charge up a cell phone is a big deal.

I don't know anyone who is worried about the actual snow -- there is good snowplowing in all the towns here. It's the possibility of prolonged (more than a week) power outages that has made long lines at gas stations and in food stores.

Everyone keeps mentioning 77 and 78. I remember those, but they were just big snowfalls. 83 made an impression. I was a senior in hs. That is the storm in which Air Florida plane crashed in the Potomac and the 14th street bridge. I had a classmate whse dad was supposed to be on the flight. My mother could not get home from work -- she managed to get to her sister's house in the district and stay there.

I also remember a Thanksgiving storm in 71 maybe. We drove for hours trying to get to my grandmas farm in the shenandoah valley. We ended up stuck . We and hundreds of other families were picked up by fire trucks and spent the night in the fire station in Marshall. Never made it to grandmas, dad got the car going again on Thanksgiving Day and we went home to an empty fridge.

As I recall we used to have one big snow a year. Typically, the snow would come rapidly in one day and then we'd have a big dig out. We do not get as much snow as we did when I was a kid. My dc did not get the same amount of use of sleds as I did and I live 1 mile from the house I grew up in. Now, we get big storms, but they seem to be every few years, not one a year.

Honestly, (and this is from a former east coast girl- Philly & Va Beach) I think anything that happens to the East Coast is made much more of a 'big deal' than when it happens elsewhere..... Partly because population density yes, but also because some folks in NYC & DC believe they are the center of the universe.

:iagree: I definitely think the coverage is extremely uneven, but then I remember where the major news stations are located. Like humans everywhere, anything that happens to "you" is far more newsworthy than anything happening to "someone else." Hubby and I chuckle when we see the 30 second segment about something on the west coast vs the 5 minutes (or more) devoted to east coast happenings.

So I take back what I said earlier. My dh has been on the road trying to get home from work for over three hours now. It is normally a 25-minute drive. Our area has everything known to man to combat snow - plows, salt, you name it. They just couldn't keep up with the snow today.

Any update? I sure hope he made it home. Take care during the storm! :grouphug:

Ummm....I was a product of the blizzard of '77!

:hurray: Good things can come from storms!

The people in that area are definitely in my prayers - esp those from the Hive. The storm totally missed us. The snow I mentioned yesterday never even covered the ground, then it stopped. We're done. I suspect this means it tracked a little further east (or north) than predicted.

Everyone keeps mentioning 77 and 78. I remember those, but they were just big snowfalls. 83 made an impression. I was a senior in hs. That is the storm in which Air Florida plane crashed in the Potomac and the 14th street bridge. I had a classmate whse dad was supposed to be on the flight. My mother could not get home from work -- she managed to get to her sister's house in the district and stay there.

I remember that one, but it didn't come anywhere near where I lived. My grandfather had just died that Sunday. We were trying to get down to FL for the funeral and everything. The airline agent tried to get us on that flight, but it was full (or too full for our party, I'm not sure which). It was very, very chilling to hear it had crashed. We got on a different flight that had to land in Tampa first, then go to Ft Lauderdale (or Miami - not sure which). Going in to Tampa was VERY bumpy due to storms and many on the plane were barfing - including my cousin next to me. I almost lost it by the domino effect. That place lost an engine (it shut down, not fell off) on takeoff. Fortunately, the pilot was able to restart it. I was really, really glad when we made it to south Florida (and still sad due to my Grandfather's death). I can only imagine what my Grandmother would have gone through if we had made that Air Florida flight. The blizzard? That's what made all the other (still flying) planes full to where we had to take whatever we could. I don't remember anything else about it really - just that. There was too much else on my mind.

As I recall we used to have one big snow a year. Typically, the snow would come rapidly in one day and then we'd have a big dig out. We do not get as much snow as we did when I was a kid. My dc did not get the same amount of use of sleds as I did and I live 1 mile from the house I grew up in. Now, we get big storms, but they seem to be every few years, not one a year.

:iagree:

Yep, our roads are always clear. We couldn't get out of the driveway until we shoveled, but once we did....blacktop with not a flake on it. I love our road crews! And there is no such thing as a "grocery store run" before a storm here. Actually....we laugh when we see news stories of people doing that back east for an expected 4-6 inches.

But you live in Utah? Aren't there lots of Mormons there. All the Mormons I know have continually stocked up pantries. I thought it was part of their beliefs. So if you have got a really well stocked pantry and good road crews, no need to do the rush to the grocery store. Around here, I do agree it can get ridiculous but road are windy, narrow and we do not have good road crews. And around here I don't think the stocked pantry is such a big cultural thing. When the power goes out people really can be in trouble.

Just checking in. I'm not sure how we still have power, but I am grateful!

With high, hurricane force winds all night we woke up to bare sand dunes, snow blown off our deck completely and drifts in our driveway that are 10 feet high in some places. It's still snowing here, with winds about 35mph, but it should be through early this afternoon.There will be some sore muscles tonight from all this shoveling!

I hope you are all staying warm and cozy on this snowy day!

I think it's winds of 50 to 75 mph that they're worried about. I don't think 2 to 3 feet of snow is normal for NYC and Boston and cities along the NE coast.

We usually have a storm that dumps 2 ft+ every other year or so (NYC). So while not an everyday occurrence it's not unusual. Yesterday there was real panic at grocery stores and there were massive gas lines.

Unless its was the winds predicted, I don't understand the brouhaha either?

Checking in this morning. Thankfully we still have power. Not sure how much snow we got due to heavy drifting, but we cannot get out of either door due to 5 foot drifts. I'm thinking we got at least 2 feet; other areas of CT are reporting 3 feet. All state roads here are shut down til further notice. We went out to shovel last night and by the time I finished the staircase down to my driveway another inch or two had fallen back on the pathway. Definitely one of the worst storms I remember.

I lost power at 11:00 last night, so it's a bit chilly in my home this morning. I'm concerned that i wasnt able to pull up the power outage map from National Grid...not a good sign, if their own "outage central" isnt working.

DH and DS are out shoveling and snow blowing. It's hard to tell how much snow we have bc of the huge drifts. Certainly looks close to two feet and it is still snowing.

Im only going to stay on my ipad for a bit, to conserve batteries. I really hope we get power back by tonight.

Just checking in quickly - lost power 6 times yesterday with long flickers, but the power came back on every time. I looked outside - snowdrifts that look up to your chest. At least 2 feet of snow.

There are about half a million without power in MA. Please pray/send good thoughts they will get power back soon. It is very cold.

We've gotten 30 inches and it's still going. It's pretty windy and the drifting is pretty bad. I am so grateful we haven't lost power (yet)! I am also grateful this happened over a weekend, the timing has been very convienent :laugh:. There is some concern about the high tide, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

I lost power at 11:00 last night, so it's a bit chilly in my home this morning. I'm concerned that i wasnt able to pull up the power outage map from National Grid...not a good sign, if their own "outage central" isnt working.

DH and DS are out shoveling and snow blowing. It's hard to tell how much snow we have bc of the huge drifts. Certainly looks close to two feet and it is still snowing.

Im only going to stay on my ipad for a bit, to conserve batteries. I really hope we get power back by tonight.

Hope you're OK soon.

I got up this morning and shoveled for the 4th time. So, we had about 2" + 4-5" + 3-4" yesterday and a good 6-7" was waiting for me this morning. I think when people measure at the end of a storm, the snow has settled down and compacted. But it is nice snow -- fluffy and light, the kind that doesn't stick to your shovel. From the news reports I've read, it seems as though fewer than 50 homes are without power, compared to 2,000,000 after Sandy. We (NJ) have been very lucky this time round.

Long Island, CT, and MA sound so bad. I hope the boardies there will be OK.