Menu

Documentaries: When Do Your Kids Watch Them?

If your children watch documentaries for science and/or history , when do they watch them?

Do you schedule them? Suggest them?

Do they watch them during official school time or during their free time? Do you make it part of family time?

Just curious. For various reasons, I prefer that we watch them during the evening or on the weekend, but other things tend to get in the way. I am looking for better ways to incorporate them.

If it is related to what they are studying for science or history, we watch during class time to spark questions and reinforce understanding. If it is their interest like Nova ScienceNow, we watch those as family time. We watch science and history on PBS on Wednesday and Sunday evenings.

We are fortunate to have Netflix streaming, Amazon streaming, and the ability to stream YouTube to our TV. We almost always watch a documentary during our ~ 30 minute lunch break, typically getting through one-half of a film one day and finishing the next day. I put "lunch & learn" on DS10's assignment checklist, so even though I consider them optional, they get watched as part of our daily routine.

We also watch them on weekends some if we're at home and the weather is too cold or rainy to be outside. We don't watch much of anything else on TV.

ETA - I have lots of titles saved in our "queues" and a list to coordinate with what we're studying in order. About two-thirds of the time I have something specific in mind to go with what we're studying that day but about one-third of the time I let DS choose whatever he wants from the queue.

We don't watch TV during the day, so documentaries are watched in the evenings and weekends. We usually stream Netflix, but I like to also have Netflix DVDs so I can pop them in while we are driving.

If I had only school aged kids, I would probably let them watch docs during lunch time. In fact, I would like that, but lunch time gets chaotic around here. Dh often comes home for lunch, the toddler is ready for a nap by then, and I am prepping food for the little people.

Thank you all! I think that I need to make time during the day - it just isn't happening otherwise. And we really have enjoyed the ones that we have watched. Goodness knows, we still have plenty of cold, dark and dreary afternoons still ahead of us before the weather will change. I just have to avoid the two days a week that we go racing out the door at 2:30 to get to sports practice. It is no fun having to leave a movie when there is 10 minutes to go. That, and his energy level is then down.

Netflix (streaming only) just came to Denmark. What is a bit silly is the fact that the selection disappoints me - after all, we are not even getting around to the wonderful documentaries that we DO have.

If your children watch documentaries for science and/or history , when do they watch them?

Do you schedule them? Suggest them?

Do they watch them during official school time or during their free time? Do you make it part of family time?

Just curious. For various reasons, I prefer that we watch them during the evening or on the weekend, but other things tend to get in the way. I am looking for better ways to incorporate them.

I schedule them in if they are docs that relate to science or history, and I'm wanting the dc to view them.

Visual go-alongs are watched in the afternoon in our home & usually Friday seems to be the best day for that.

One proviso ..... if it's a dvd that Dh wants to watch too, we'll watch it one evening all together.

We usually watch during lunch on a nice, slow day. Unfortunately, we were trying to finish Microcosmos today and one of my ds refuses to watch bugs and eat at the same time. But usually it's good.

LOL! I'm the same way about watching bugs (and snakes) while I'm eating! :laugh:

We watch them in the afternoons.

We're typically finished with lessons by lunch. I grade during lunch/recess, and we go over any corrections during the afternoon. If they have none, I usually have them spend an hour or so doing school-ish stuff that isn't official school - crafts, projects, scout badge work, independent reading, and movies. This transitions us from school time to free time.

We are fortunate to have Netflix streaming, Amazon streaming, and the ability to stream YouTube to our TV. We almost always watch a documentary during our ~ 30 minute lunch break, typically getting through one-half of a film one day and finishing the next day. I put "lunch & learn" on DS10's assignment checklist, so even though I consider them optional, they get watched as part of our daily routine.

We also watch them on weekends some if we're at home and the weather is too cold or rainy to be outside. We don't watch much of anything else on TV.

ETA - I have lots of titles saved in our "queues" and a list to coordinate with what we're studying in order. About two-thirds of the time I have something specific in mind to go with what we're studying that day but about one-third of the time I let DS choose whatever he wants from the queue.

Almost exactly this! Some days, especially when DS is having a morning or afternoon playdate with a buddy, we take the rest of the day off to watch documentaries.

• 2 weeks later...

We tend to watch them in the evenings or on weekends these days. Sometimes if we have a particularly rough day we'll watch one during lunch to relax and regroup.

If mom or enough kids are sick we tend to watch some in the afternoon as some downtime while we all feel yucky.

When the kids were younger and I was pregnant we watched one nearly every afternoon when I hit my nap time-I could rest and they were still on topic.