Menu

Help me plan a fun trip...need city recommendations

Mandylubug

We are going to go on a trip on the 22nd or 23rd (or both) we fly for free since my husband works for an airline and we like to take little trips here or there.

We have been to Buffalo, DC and Philadelphia recently. We are open to visiting these again but we are also interested in other areas. Perhaps Boston or Chicago?

Our requirements are good museums and attractions that will be suitable for six kids to enjoy and easy public transit or easy foot traffic.

So, what are your favorite cities? We have considered NYC but we just don't think we are ready for dragging six kids through that chaos quite yet. Although, Philly substations were quite crowded when we went.I would love to find something with Ancient Greece artifacts and haven't research the Smithsonian in DC but I don't remember seeing that displayed recently.

Where are you now? Do you mean the 22nd or 23rd of this month? Because it gets awfully cold in Boston and Chicago! I'd head south like to New Orleans or maybe some place in TX, CA or Florida. I've always wanted to go to St. Augustine myself. I live near Washington DC and I don't recall any Ancient Greek displays at the Smithsonian either.

Sorry, we are in Atlanta, GA. We don't want to fly that far due to the time it consumes and don't want to go to FL, lol FL is common ground for us. We are flying on the 22nd or 23rd. We may fly out the 22nd, stay the night and fly back late 23rd. We typically just do a day trip super early in the morning and fly back late that night. But we are open to whatever this trip.

I'm biased because we live a couple of hours from Chicago. Tons to do for all ages, great museums and a pretty good transportation system. But getting downtown from O'Hare is like 45 minutes on CTA. But it is cheap! Midway is much closer but that area is scary to me.

However, Chicago on the 22nd of this month is probably going to be cold and windy and no fun to be outside. And there's a lot of Chicago fun to be had outside if the weather is nice, so going when it's too cold kind of limits your fun. But for a quick trip, there's plenty to see inside.

I would totally do New York City. There is so much to do/see you will need many trips. We are expecting a massive snow storm this weekend though.

I would love to do NYC but I am scared of the crowds there and the potential to lose a kid LOL We will have four adults with us and six kids.. I would feel better about NYC if there were six adults going.

I would love to do NYC but I am scared of the crowds there and the potential to lose a kid LOL We will have four adults with us and six kids.. I would feel better about NYC if there were six adults going.

I found NYC much safer and more doable than I thought I would. I've been there 3 times now and I absolutely love it- there's never a dull moment and I felt safe the entire time. Four adults/six kids is actually a pretty good ratio, IMO!

Depending on which airline your husband works for, consider SFO / SJC.

The BART train is in the international terminal at SFO, and will take you pretty deep into the exciting parts of the City.

San Jose is a bit quieter, but still has an interesting downtown and airport area. From the airport you can get to a number of destinations and even some hotels using the VTA light rail. It's a good two-day trip, IMO. I did it a few months ago with my own kids. We went to the Rosicrucian one day and the Japanese Gardens on our second day.

I think OAK has public transit, too, but it's been years since I've flown into there.

Or maybe PHX. This is a good time, before conventions and Spring Training start up.

I know they have a light rail, and I think it even goes into the airport. My kids like the zoo and outdoor activities there. We went to the museum, and it wasn't awesome (nor was it horrible. It just ... was.) But it's been a few years.

We accrue a lot of air miles, so we take lots of little trips also :) I bet the kids will be thrilled, wherever you decide to visit!

Or maybe PHX. This is a good time, before conventions and Spring Training start up.

I know they have a light rail, and I think it even goes into the airport. My kids like the zoo and outdoor activities there. We went to the museum, and it wasn't awesome (nor was it horrible. It just ... was.) But it's been a few years.

We accrue a lot of air miles, so we take lots of little trips also :) I bet the kids will be thrilled, wherever you decide to visit!

Ahhh we love PHX. We lived in AZ for two years. We have been back in GA for two years and probably shouldn't venture there right now. I am "homesick" for AZ currently. I do love PHX though and always have to hit up The Original Garcias Mexican restaurant while there.

Boston is cold at this time of year......... but I remember using our flight benefits to go there when dh worked for an Atlanta based airline :) Nashville can be fun and is a quick flight (although the drive is about the same as flying when you consider driving to the airport, going through security, getting there early, etc).

NYC is not as chaotic as you are imagining. It might even be easier than Philly or DC since the city is more walkable and has better public transportation. Boston would be a good choice but perhaps not for February since it would involve a good deal of outdoor time. The Freedom trail is great but better enjoyed when not freezing.

Since you have flight benefits I wanted to add a spring trip idea. Every year two weeks before the Kentucky Derby, Louisville has a huge fireworks show. It is an incredible show and well worth the free flight. The event is free and there is an air show and some other stuff that make it an all day event. The Galt House hotel is on Main Street and offers packages for that weekend. If that hotel is too expensive there are a few others downtown. Also downtown on Main Street are the science museum, history museum which specializes in warfare, and Louisville Slugger factory. If the hotel has a free shuttle you could stay downtown and take in several attractions without a vehicle. Louisville doesn't have good public transportation but there is a trolley downtown which I know nothing about. Downtown is fairly small and walkable so a bus or trolley would be a convenience as opposed to a necessity. The hotel would be centrally located downtown between the museums which are on the west end of downtown and Riverfront park on the east end of town which has prime viewing for the fireworks. It is a rather large event and I don't know if hotels sell out. Advance hotel reservations could be tricky when flying space available.

Chatanooga is awesome - but you can drive there

I wouldn't go in the winter - but Rochester, NY has the BEST children's museum, ever! And it's close to the airport.

DC for a day would rock.

I've wanted to do the Creation museum - and that's in Cinci - super easy commute from Atlanta.

Memphis is one leg, also. Pretty warm. Good BBQ. Fun stuff.

I found NYC much safer and more doable than I thought I would. I've been there 3 times now and I absolutely love it- there's never a dull moment and I felt safe the entire time. Four adults/six kids is actually a pretty good ratio, IMO!

I agree. NYC is very doable.. If you stay in a centrally located hotel, and take cabs to museums etc, you're not going to lose the children. I would suggest a hotel near the Natural History Museum. You will be near an entrance to Central Park as well. You can easily do two days there without a great deal of concern. I find NYC easier than DC. And San Fran, for example, leaves me far more exhausted.

I'd save Chicago for when you can be outside without freezing. Downtown Chicago has such a nice, open feeling, and is so pretty in the spring/summer with flowers everywhere and lots of streets to walk down, as well as down by the lake.

Boston is cold too, of course, but for some reason it doesn't seem to matter as much to me if Boston is cold. Maybe because it seems smaller and more compact and you can run from door to door more quickly! The public transportation system in Boston is super easy and will get you everywhere. There so many neat historical sites that you can tour indoors, like the old State House.

I love NYC too, but I love it most when the weather is warm and it has all of its little sidewalk cafes open.

Chicago rocks all the requirements on your list, but I agree that it is too cold there right now!

We've been having some awesome weather down here in New Orleans. If you can afford to stay in the city proper, feet and streetcars can take care of your transportation. We have several great art museums, the world-famous WWII museum, plus a fabulous zoo, aquarium, and insectarium.

Anywhere you go north is going to be colder. I'd still consider Chicago. The Field Museum, Museum of Science & Industry, Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium are near each other along Lake Shore Drive so you'd have a lot of choices.

I'd save Boston for a warmer time of year so you can make the most of walking the Freedom Trail.