Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week four

Robin M

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, I want to hear how you like this.

I enjoyed it very much. I found it very hard to keep track of some of the characters because there were SO many people involved in the experiments over the years. Time-wise, it also jumped around a lot; which could be a bit confusing. The story itself needed to be told though. Animal testing is an abomination, and people need to better understand what happens to these poor animals when and if they're released from a project.

So far:

1: Mr Briggs' Hat

2: Busman's Honeymoon

3: Notwithstanding

4: Bad Pharma

3 and 4 both recommended; the latter quite hard to get through but is a devastating description of the pharmaceutical companies' attitudes to data and marketing.

Now working on The Pages, by Murray Bail. I enjoyed his Eucalyptus years ago, so picked this up. Not sure so far.

Laura

Well, I finally tried reading Night Circus. Yes, the writing is beautiful, but I didn't like the story enough to read it, and even checked the ending (my habit) and really didn't want to read it. At a different point in my life, I would have probably loved the book.

That said, I did finish Wishing You Were Here, the totally out of character read for me as I normally avoid romance; it's a y/a time travel romance.

I have to say that the publishing industry is nuts--just because they think the 1950s aren't in style, this was a well crafted romance novel with a bit of paranormal involvement, and I have to say I did like the ending (sure, we all know basically how romance novels are going to end, so beyond that.) This is a genre novel, of course, and is not a deep read, but is fun. I can't rate it since a. I'm not a romance reader and b. I know the author, but I am also honest enough to say if something's junk just because I know who wrote it (she's an acquaintance I haven't seen for some years). Plus, I wouldn't have finished it if it were junk.

I finished Catching Fire and Mockingjay, and am ready for something a more substantial but not so emotionally charged. It seems to me that last year about this time I found that Wodehouse was the kind of winter reading I needed. Whoa - Redwall is free on Kindle? Hope I didn't miss it!

I'm going to start my first Jeeves book soon; I had to go to the virutal catalog to find the very first one every published.

I finished Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres. While I enjoyed it, I expected it to be funnier. I read My Point...And I Do Have One years ago. I think her sitcom was still on tv, and she was still mostly considered a stand up comedienne. I don't remember any specifics of the latter, but I do remember having quite a few laugh out loud moments while reading it. Seriously...I'm Kidding gave me some chuckles, but I only really laughed a few times.

I love her positive outlook on life, and her "happiness is a choice" views. It closely matches my beliefs. That alone made the book enjoyable to me, but I'm glad I got it as a Kindle Daily Deal. I think I would have been disappointed if I paid full price.

Finished:

8. The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson. It was ok, but I'm glad I just checked it out of the library.

9. Planting Dandelions Field Notes from a Semi-Domesticated Life by Kyran Pittman

10. Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

11. Almost Amish by Nancy Sleeth

12. Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell- This isn't the kind of book I normally read, but I really enjoyed it.

13. Miss Buncle's Book by D. E. Stevenson

Arriving late to the 2013 version of this party. As an introvert, I just needed the crowds to abate a little. *wry grin

<snip>

Saga, Vol. 1 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2012. 160 pages. Graphic fiction.) The conclusion of Sweet Tooth (sad, fitting, if a bit predictable) left a graphic fiction gap for me to fill. Saga was recommended by the the elves behind that big online retailer's website. Given how much I adored Vaughan's Y: The Last Man and appreciated his Ex Machina, it's unsurprising how engrossing I found his latest effort.

Glad to see you around these parts again. I also was a little overwhelmed during the first few weeks. It's nice to see so many people excited about reading but it's hard to keep track of the thread.

DH is reading Saga and Last Man right now and loving them. Have you read The Unwritten by Mike Carey? I'm bothered by anything with violence more graphic than a cozy mystery so they weren't for me but I think you'd like them. Lots of fantastic literary reference.

:smilielol5: :smilielol5: I haven't read The Woman in White yet but it's on my list. The Frozen Deep is short and predictable after you read to a certain point. However, I like his writing and it was a romantic story. The Moonstone had me on edge the whole time.

Get thee to a library! Woman in White was my top book in 2011. Fantastic story.

I’ve been stuck away from family and friends and work at a boring convention since Wednesday morning. Thank goodness for my Kindle otherwise I would have run out of books.

Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin – I disliked this. I enjoyed the first Happier book but this seemed like too much of the same and her personality was annoying in this book. It’s hard to relate with a very upper-upper-middle class woman in New York complaining about how behind she was in her pictures so she forced herself to work on her online albums for 15 minutes a day. Yeah. Because the money to print off 12 books a year is negligible if I only had the time. Made her impossible to relate to and whiney to boot.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie – I was listening to this as an audiobook when I couldn’t sleep on the trip and discovered that it cut off before it finished. I was up at 5 am trying to google the ending. Fantastic story. Simply fantastic.

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer – This might be my new favorite Georgette Heyer book. Exciting with lots of likeable characters. And just the right amount of beautiful people having a bit of romance.

The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler – I’ve liked the other Philip Marlowe books but this was too silly and didn’t have the interesting mystery of his earlier books. Too many ditzy dames and hard drinking smart mouthed detectives. Blah. I won’t be considering with the series after this book.

In Progress:

Toliver’s Secret by Esther Wood Brady (read aloud)

Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey) by Dorothy Sayers

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (audiobook)

2013 finished books:

10. Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin (**)

9. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (*****)

8. Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (*****)

7. The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler (**)

6. Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry (****)

5. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (***)

4. The Unwritten by Mike Carey (****)

3. The Postmortal by Drew Magary (**)

2. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (*****)

1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (***)

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

This week I finished reading The Red Pyramid to my son, and we are on to The Throne of Fire. Personally, I liked Percy Jackson better, but my son has declared his love for all things Egyptian now.

So far this year:

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey

2. The Great Gatsby

3. The Night Circus

4. A Study in Scarlet

5. The Red Pyramid

Still working on A Storm of Swords. It might be a while. Definitely a super-chunkster!

Ah, I forgot to check in on Sunday and it's almost time to do it again.

Last week's reads were:

The Homeric Hymns - I actually enjoyed these. My translation had a wealth of notes that made for even better reading.

The Sybil - am going to do this one with my youngest. Should make for a great discussion regarding juxtaposition of pagan and Christian beliefs.

The Iliad with the Teaching Company's lectures. Love, love, love that Elizabeth Vandiver! This was a partial re-read.

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold - so much fun, I passed it on to my oldest son, who is now hooked.

Everything else in my sig is still in progress.

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer – This might be my new favorite Georgette Heyer book. Exciting with lots of likeable characters. And just the right amount of beautiful people having a bit of romance.

I adored this book!! It was my first Regency Romance by Heyer (I had read The Conqueror before). I seriously laughed out loud more than once! I keep telling my dd she needs to read it.

I am still on book 2 of The Wheel of Time, The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan. This book begins with a really great pace, I'm not wanting to put it down but I've been so tired this week that if I try and read in bed I'm asleep before I know it! <_< Have you given up on Jordan for now, I noticed it is not in your "currently reading" pile.

There you are. Was just wondering where you wandered off too. My pleasure from one old woman reading to another! You make me feel special since you rarely put links in your side bar. :001_cool:

You've had a interesting start to the reading year. I'll have to check out Brain on Fire. I loved Michelle Gagnon's other thrillers and have Don't Turn Around but yet to read it. Hmm! Sounds like it may not be up to par with the rest of her stuff. Shame - I'll try not to go in with any preconceived notions. Happy year of reading mindfully!

There's another Gagnon on my Kindle -- something about a kidnapping? I may give that a try. As for the rest, it *has* been an interesting start, and I recommend Brain on Fire, especially if you like "House" or the mystery illness feature in Discover magazine.

I hope the performance is stellar! I've seen it done so many, many different ways... completely straight with togas, etc; in the Middle East (a heart-stopping, mind-blowing production); in a wild, weird pseudo ancient Britain-esque setting (a dreadful production despite some first rate actors), and, most recently in a Japanese-ish setting which brought out aspects of the play and characters that are central, and powerful, but harder to see when done traditionally... I hope yours grabs you by the thoat and heart and offers new insights...

We've never seen a stage production and are looking forward to what Chicago Shakespeare Theater will do with it.

I've missed you, dearest, I treasure the way you make me think, the reflections you trigger, and the insights you share. :grouphug:

Right back at you, Eliana. 'glad you found Robin's weekly thread. It's a treasure, as are you. Wishing you a complete return to good health.

Glad to see you around these parts again. I also was a little overwhelmed during the first few weeks. It's nice to see so many people excited about reading but it's hard to keep track of the thread.

DH is reading Saga and Last Man right now and loving them. Have you read The Unwritten by Mike Carey? I'm bothered by anything with violence more graphic than a cozy mystery so they weren't for me but I think you'd like them. Lots of fantastic literary reference.

Yes, overwhelmed. That's it, exactly. It *is* good to see the interest, but it's also a bit like your favorite restaurant being "discovered" and featured in the city paper. All of a sudden you need reservations, and the host has trouble remembering your favorite table. (*wry grin*)

'can't believe you asked about The Unwritten! Girl Detective got me started on it, was it two years ago, and I lost... not interest. Maybe momentum? My husband picked up all of the available volumes this month, though, and I decided to try again. Will begin at the beginning and see what happens.

If your husband likes Y and Saga, I think he will like Ex Machina, too (also by Vaughan).

Completed:

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. Yeah! I made it! I hadn't read this one before, though there was one scene in which Mr. Karenin is caring for Anna's baby that struck me as really familiar, so maybe we read that passage in one of my Humanities classes or something....

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky.

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith.

I keep seeing so many glowing reviews of Georgette Heyer's books, and I'm so tempted to try one. I'm not really into romance novels though. Are these different enough that I might enjoy them?

I adored this book!! It was my first Regency Romance by Heyer (I had read The Conqueror before). I seriously laughed out loud more than once! I keep telling my dd she needs to read it. I am still on book 2 of The Wheel of Time, The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan. This book begins with a really great pace, I'm not wanting to put it down but I've been so tired this week that if I try and read in bed I'm asleep before I know it! <_< Have you given up on Jordan for now, I noticed it is not in your "currently reading" pile.

I haven't given up, I did take it off though because I was a bit embarassed about how long it's taking me to read it. I'm about 65% through and I've been reading it since the first of the year. I think I'm going to be a big fail at the chunkster challenge this year because at this rate I'll get two in a year. Now the light fluffy less than 350 pages books are no problem but the chunksters scare me.

What's you're favorite Georgette Heyer book? I'm trying to decide which one to read next.

I keep seeing so many glowing reviews of Georgette Heyer's books, and I'm so tempted to try one. I'm not really into romance novels though. Are these different enough that I might enjoy them?

Georgette Heyer books have a bit of a learning curve to them because they are filled with lots of period slang and it takes until about the second book you read to start figuring out what it all means. They are romance but there's no passion or naked people. Usually it goes something like this:

Boy meets girl through some odd situation.

Neither are attracted to each other but are forced together by aforementioned odd situation

Some zany humourous things happen - usually with relatives of either the boy or girl

During the last chapter boy and girl admit they are in love and embrace

I love them. They are very clean but I enjoy all the great situations and personalities that Georgette Heyer comes up with. There is usually not much plot other than the romance though. I do recommend that you commit to reading two if you are going to give them a try because the slang can take some time to get used to.

ETA: Never before Georgette Heyer had I read any romance books and I was a bit anti-romance novel.

Last week I finally finished up Les Misrables. I'm so glad that I stuck with it, because I ended up loving it. I think I'll always remember little Gavrochet and Eponine.

This week I read an old paperback version of A Wrinle In Time that was given to me. It was enjoyable and a quick read. After that I read Out Of The Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. It was a kindle daily deal a few weeks back, so I picked up the whole series. It wasn't quite as easy to get into as I had hoped, but I liked it by the end. I probably would have liked it better if I hadn't just read AWIT. They have extremely similar concepts and it was a bit redundant reading them back to back. I'm going to finish the Lewis Space trilogy and then perhaps finish the Time series later this year. It will be interesting to see he thy differ after the first books.

So my list for this year is

1. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo - 4.5 stars really loved it

2. A Wrinke In Time - Madeliene Le'Engle 4 stars

3. Out Of The Silent Planet - C.S. Lewis. 4 stars

In progress - Perelandra - C.S. Lewis and reading aloud The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.

I hope the performance is stellar! I've seen it done so many, many different ways... completely straight with togas, etc; in the Middle East (a heart-stopping, mind-blowing production); in a wild, weird pseudo ancient Britain-esque setting (a dreadful production despite some first rate actors), and, most recently in a Japanese-ish setting which brought out aspects of the play and characters that are central, and powerful, but harder to see when done traditionally... I hope yours grabs you by the thoat and heart and offers new insights...

I heard today that the Met is doing Rigoletto set in Brat Pack Las Vegas They'll do an HD transmission to movie theaters on February 16. I may need to see this...

And now back to your scheduled reading program. :D

Finished this week

4) Hannah's Joy by Marta Perry

1/2 way through Emma. Next week I should finish 4 books.

3) A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. I was howling! This book was hysterical! What a way with words this guy has.

2) Secrets at Sea Peck

1) His Love Endures Forever Wiseman

There's another Gagnon on my Kindle -- something about a kidnapping? I may give that a try. As for the rest, it *has* been an interesting start, and I recommend Brain on Fire, especially if you like "House" or the mystery illness feature in Discover magazine.

Although her thrillers probably stand alone, they all follow Kelly Jones, so best to start with The Tunnels, then Bone Yard, The Gatekeeper, then Kidnap and Ransom.

Since I do

3) A Year Down Yonder by Richard 2) Secrets at Sea Peck 1) His Love Endures Forever Wiseman

We loved that book here when we found it, too, and have read a few of his. I can't remember all of the titles, and not all are as funny (not all are supposed to be as funny, either). We read everything our library had by Richard Peck (or listened if it was only on audio.)