Menu

How hard is it to teach myself how to crochet?

Monica_in_Switzerland

I feel like I've made a grammar fault in the title, but can't quite put my finger on it... Anyway...

How hard is crochet to learn? Any good books, YouTube videos... ?

Thanks!

Ideally, I'd like to be able to make blankets and stuff that consist of little squares or stars or whatever, all hooked together. If that makes any sense. Or maybe all of crochet is like that? LOL. I am so not handy.

There are so many videos that I think you'll be able to find one and teach yourself. If you have someone who can show you that's great, but not having someone isn't a problem. Just do a search for "learn to crochet" videos, and see if you come up with one that you can easily follow.

I'm fairly experienced but sometimes I still search for videos on a certain stitch. Having videos available 24/7 means I can learn start then working almost immediately.

I've learned to crochet and knit from you tube. I went to a meeting of a local yarn crafters group one time and found out that I'm somehow knitting inside out.......I still can't figure out how I'm doing it wrong. But i still knit. However, I seem to have learned to crochet and to do tunisian crochet properly. I can't remember what you tube videos I watched, all I can say is find one that makes sense to YOU. The little squares you want to make are called granny squares and as I recall it wasn't too hard to figure those out from the internet. If you have a hook and some yarn and tend to be stubborn you should do fine.

I learned knitting first when I was like 10 or 11. I learned a few basics from my grandma and everything else from a book. I did take a color work class as an adult, which was fun and I did learn. But I'm sure I could have picked that up by dedicating 4 hours just to getting good at color work like I did for the class.

I learned crochet a couple years ago. I learned the basics at a class. It was a 4 week class, 2 hours a night. I personally was good to go after the first 2 hours. I do think there is something to be said about learning FROM someone for the basics. I taught myself everying else after that introductory class and can about crochet anything at this point.

I think if you were going to try to teach yourself, a big thing with it is just sticking at it long enough to get fluent with it. You tube has some great videos available now to get you started. I'd set aside a couple hours a week just to work at it for 4-6 weeks and see how you're feeling about it after you spend 8-12 hours at it.

My daughter taught herself the basics from a kit when she was 10 and then developed further skills by reading/following books. She's 15 now and quite skilled. She won a Best of Class award for crocheted lace at the county fair last year. You can do it! :)

Guest submarines

There are plenty of extremely good videos on youtube. I wouldn't even bother with with books at first. My daughter learned just from those videos and now can crochet absolutely anything.

I'll let you know, I'm going to try later today or tomorrow. It took a weekend to get started with knitting, and about a week of practice and looking up "mistakes" and how not to make them to actually get somewhere. I can now make straight panels. LOL! I can knit whole hats on a loom though. ;)

I don't think it's hard at all. Crochet is so easy. I knew chain and single crochet my whole life. Last year, I learned everything else from this lady http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELg6fAULn3yUI

If you want to ever do knitting, I recommend learning knitting before you learn crochet. For knitting, I like knittinghelp.com and verypink.com for videos. IMO, knittinghelp is better for basics, verypink is better for putting it all together and learning how to actually do projects.

I learned using this book/kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-Learn-Great-Projects-Klutz/dp/1570548706/ref=la_B000APUOQA_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358456622&sr=1-3

I fear it may be out of print. But if you happen to see it anywhere, go for it!

I had previously been in a crochet class and that did not go well at all. I decided crochet wasn't for me, but then I picked up this book while traveling and it was perfect!

I'll let you know, I'm going to try later today or tomorrow. It took a weekend to get started with knitting, and about a week of practice and looking up "mistakes" and how not to make them to actually get somewhere. I can now make straight panels. LOL! I can knit whole hats on a loom though. ;)

If you know how to knit, it should actually be much easier since you already have a lot of needle work concepts. Crochet is MUCH easier to learn IMO.

I learned crochet much more easily by doing my initial afghan project using two strands of different color yarn and a very large hook so I could see the loops more clearly.

If you want to be able to read a pattern, get a "learn how to crochet" book and read closely as you work the different stitches.

I crochet (and struggle to knit), my mother knit (but couldn't crochet). Most of the women i know who do one or the other can't do both.

I learned using this book/kit:

http://www.amazon.co...58456622&sr=1-3

I fear it may be out of print. But if you happen to see it anywhere, go for it!

I had previously been in a crochet class and that did not go well at all. I decided crochet wasn't for me, but then I picked up this book while traveling and it was perfect!

Hey, that's the book that taught me how to crochet! I highly recommend it!

I'm self taught in the years before YouTube. I think seeing videos would make it much easier to learn.

I used this book and made the afghan. Each square teaches a different technique. And the weight helps it lie flat (my first square had a rather irregular border :) )

I enjoy crochet a lot. It's a good way to pass time.

There was a similar thread a while ago. I taught myself to crochet with this video:

There's a second part as well.

I watched this video and the videos from here. I taught myself back in October and have made a ton of stuff since then. Start with something small like a washcloth and practice going back and forth in the different stitches. I have found that there are certain hooks I like (Susan Bates) and ones I cannot stand (Boye) but I am sure it is a personal preference sort of thing.

I have found that there are certain hooks I like (Susan Bates) and ones I cannot stand (Boye) but I am sure it is a personal preference sort of thing.

:iagree: I much prefer Susan Bates over Boye. I tried to crochet for years with Boyes. Once I got a Susan Bates hook, and the right set of videos, I was on my way to crocheting!

And use wax on your hooks, the yarn will glide nicely over them. I use the wax for cross stitch threads like Kreinik metallics on my crochet hooks. We do exploded crochethttp://books.google.com/books?id=PxuARzerBwoC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false think giant doilies as the center of a sweater back and hyperbolic crochet when the mathy mood hits. It was one of the great joys of my life pre rheumatoid now I can only go for 20 minutes at a time.

And use wax on your hooks, the yarn will glide nicely over them. I use the wax for cross stitch threads like Kreinik metallics on my crochet hooks. We do exploded crochethttp://books.google.com/books?id=PxuARzerBwoC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false think giant doilies as the center of a sweater back and hyperbolic crochet when the mathy mood hits. It was one of the great joys of my life pre rheumatoid now I can only go for 20 minutes at a time.

Here's the link:http://books.google.com/books?id=PxuARzerBwoC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false -- not to take over your comment, but the formatting showed up wonky on my computer.

Some people are better at teaching themselves things than others, honestly. It's okay if it turns out you do better with having a live person help you!