Menu

Does anyone here make all or many of their own condiments?

Ginevra

I just made bbq sauce. Google Rachel Ray BBQ sauce. The hubby saw it on tv, so I googled. It was great. I've cooked shredded chicken in it, beef, and vegatables and it was all great. I substituted Shiner Boch for the Rum and Spiced it with fresh peppers from my yard. The recipe makes 6c. so it made a few dinners better. The ingredients are going on my shopping list.

I make my own mayo:

1 egg

1 cup oil (safflower, olive oil, etc.)

2 tsp. vinegar

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. dry mustard

Combine egg, vinegar, seasonings and 1/4 c. oil in food processor or blender. Process for about a minute. With the machine still running, steadly add the rest of the oil. Process for another minute or so. Store in the refrigerator.

The kind of oil, seasonings, and vinegar you use will change the flavor of the mayo. I like to use extra-light olive oil and red wine vinegar, and I use a vegetable-mix salt.

I've been making my own mayo for 35 years. Most store-bought mayos taste nasty to me now, lol.

We make mayonnaise and then use it as a base for lots of stuff. We mostly make our own salad dressing and dh is great at whipping up lots of different sauces. So, yeah. It's a lot healthier and easier to keep the versatile raw ingredients on hand than dozens of bottles in the fridge.

I've made mayo and ketchup, and have made BBQ sauce. The BBQ sauce was just used in a recipe for something else though, so I haven't actually tried making BBQ sauce to use as a condiment. We've also used the mayo as a base to make salad dressing, but I haven't had any consistent success with making mayo so I gave up! It would alternate between not working at all, sort of working, occasionally working, and not working at all again, and was way too frustrating to bother with! (Could have been the recipe, but we tried a couple of recipes, tried using the blender and tried beating it by hand, and the results were never consistent.)

I have an ancho ketchup recipe, which is used with pot roast. It is yummy.

I believe the recipe came from the cookbook, "A cowboy in the kitchen."

I just throw all the pot roast stuff together (sans the flour) in the crock-pot and make it that way.

The ketchup recipe is very good on its own, though, if you just want homemade ketchup with a kick.

---

Ancho Ketchup

Makes 5 cups

12 ancho chili peppers, stemmed and seeded

½ white onion, diced

5 cloves garlic, minced

6 cups water

5 teaspoons packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 cups tomato paste

kosher salt to taste

freshly ground pepper to taste

Place the peppers, onion and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the peppers have absorbed some liquid and have become soft. Remove the peppers, onion and garlic with a slotted spoon and transfer to a food processor. Add the brown sugar, cumin, tomato paste and 1 cup of the liquid the peppers were cooked in. Puree, adding more pepper liquid until you reach the desired thickness. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and more brown sugar, if desired. Spoon ketchup into glass container and store in the fridge until ready to use.

Pot Roast with Yams and Ancho Ketchup

6-8 servings

½ cup flour

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon cracked pepper

4-6 pound chuck roast

½ cup corn oil (I used olive oil)

¾ cup ancho ketchup

3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch rounds

3 East Texas yams (sweet potatoes), cut into 2 inch pieces

1 onion, coarsely chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 cup beef broth

Season the flour with salt and pepper and blend thoroughly. Roll the roast in the flour mixture. Heat the oil in an ovenproof stew pot large enough to cover the pot roast. Sear the roast for four minutes on each side, or until well browned. Add the ketchup, carrots, sweet potato, onion and garlic. Cook the stew for five minutes. Add the beef stock, cover and bring to a boil. Place the pan in a 300 degree oven for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until the roast is very tender.

Do you use pasteurized eggs for the mayo? I've love to make mayo but the thought of raw eggs....

How about ketchup?

No. We often have eggs from a farmer we know but, if not, I still eat them raw. We make eggnog with raw eggs all winter, too. I'm not that skittish about food poisoning.

Right now I'm making my own:

Ketchup (from Hillbilly Housewife but a little lower on sugar and spices)

Ranch dressing (Allrecipies Ranch Dressing II with 1/2C mayo, 1/2C sour cream, and 1/2C buttermilk)

Saurkraut (although we have this everyday - more of a small side dish)

Maple Syrup (we use some real maple syrup and add a recipe of Mapeline to stretch it).

I used to make mayo but our blender (a Ninja) is terrible for it. We used eggs from our own chickens when available or just eggs from the store.

I'd be interested in making some mustard, since we're nearly out.

I think I'm going to start making mustard(s) and salad dressings at least. I might move on to others as well. It's part of a step towards more self-sufficient living. Anyone have any good resources for recipes or other useful things?

Instead of Nestle Quick for hot chocolate, I keep a jar of equal parts cocoa powder and sugar with a dash of salt, mixed together.

I'm wondering if making your own mustard is worth it. Mustard is so inexpensive and doesn't have any "bad" ingredients.

Right now I'm making my own:

Ketchup (from Hillbilly Housewife but a little lower on sugar and spices)

Ranch dressing (Allrecipies Ranch Dressing II with 1/2C mayo, 1/2C sour cream, and 1/2C buttermilk)

Saurkraut (although we have this everyday - more of a small side dish)

Maple Syrup (we use some real maple syrup and add a recipe of Mapeline to stretch it).

I used to make mayo but our blender (a Ninja) is terrible for it. We used eggs from our own chickens when available or just eggs from the store.

I'd be interested in making some mustard, since we're nearly out.

There are some mustard recipes I want to try on Mother Earth News website under "Real Food".

Instead of Nestle Quick for hot chocolate, I keep a jar of equal parts cocoa powder and sugar with a dash of salt, mixed together.

I'm wondering if making your own mustard is worth it. Mustard is so inexpensive and doesn't have any "bad" ingredients.

Yes, I know mustard is inexpensive. I've gotten it practically free sometimes. That isn't really the point, though. Part of it is that I want something that is more towards a "gourmet" taste. (I don't even eat mustard, but it's for dh's benefit.) Part of it is that I'm just sick of having all these bottles and jars of condiments languishing in my fridge until they go past date. I want to be more self-sufficient. Even if I had the same actual number of jars of condiments, if they were little Mason jars and such, that would make me happier. :)

I typically make from scratch the things we don't use often - stuff that would otherwise sit in bottles in the fridge until I throw it out. We buy ketchup, ranch dressing, and a sweet Italian dressing from a local restaurant. Those things we use so often I'd never get out of the kitchen if I was making them all the time.

I make barbecue sauce, French dressing, honey mustard, sweet-and-sour sauce, soft butter spread (which my family lovingly calls "butt spread", and labels it as such), and all the dry seasoning mixes (taco, chili, cajun, etc.).

No one here eats mayo, and I buy mustard because it's cheap, even though we rarely use it.

I make several from scratch, it can reduce the number of bottles I have in my fridge. :lol:

I make salad dressing, bbq sauce, I have made ketchup but I don't always, I don't buy seasoning mixes, (with the exception of the Herbs de Provence from frontier foods) relishes and other things.

I am not sure if it has reduced the number of bottles in my fridge...I think I have four Asian condiments in my fridge alone atm but there aren't any that are not going to be used, which does help.

My husband loathes mustard so I am not making it.:lol:

Okay, Mouse. I blame you for screwing up my low-spend January. :toetap05: You made it too easy.

Seriously!

I followed her link.

Next thing you know, I had three more books on my wish list! :glare:

I am wanting to try to pickle different types of veggies.

But then I found a book about "Canning for a new generation - Bold! Fresh! Flavors for the modern pantry." (Emphasis added because I love that title.)

Which then somehow led me to a book called - seriously - Marshmallow Madness. :confused1:

DS and I love the gourmet marshmallows at a local specility market. I have always thought making homemade marshmallows would make a great home ec project. Who knew there was a whole cookbook on making marshmallows?!

Seriously!

I followed her link.

But then I found a book about "Canning for a new generation - Bold! Fresh! Flavors for the modern pantry." (Emphasis added because I love that title.)

Which then somehow led me to a book called - seriously - Marshmallow Madness. :confused1:

DS and I love the gourmet marshmallows at a local specility market. I have always thought making homemade marshmallows would make a great home ec project. Who knew there was a whole cookbook on making marshmallows?!

I make marshmallows! I made chocolate swirl marshmallows for christmas!

I don't count them as a condiment, but my 7 year old would fight me on that.

Seriously!

I followed her link.

You are a girl after my own heart! <3

I make ranch, italian, and occasionally honey mustard salad dressing. We use so much ranch dressing that I just can't imagine buying it anymore ($3.00 a bottle versus less than $1.00 for homemade and it keeps for a couple of months in the fridge- not that that happens around here much but I do make really big batches so I don't have to do it as often). I use homemade canned salsa for any salsa, taco sauce, or enchilada needs. I have made enchilada sauce but since I don't use a lot of that it's just easier to use the salsa (the flavors are close enough for our tastes). I've made BBQ sauce but have never found a recipe we really love. We don't like ketchup so I've never tried a homemade recipe. I do make up spice "packets" for some things but it's usually just as easy to make it fresh when needed. Usually I just hunt on allrecipes for whatever thing I'm wanting to make, read the reviews and then adjust to my tastes at the end.

I make my own mayo:

1 egg

1 cup oil (safflower, olive oil, etc.)

2 tsp. vinegar

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. dry mustard

Combine egg, vinegar, seasonings and 1/4 c. oil in food processor or blender. Process for about a minute. With the machine still running, steadly add the rest of the oil. Process for another minute or so. Store in the refrigerator.

The kind of oil, seasonings, and vinegar you use will change the flavor of the mayo. I like to use extra-light olive oil and red wine vinegar, and I use a vegetable-mix salt.

I've been making my own mayo for 35 years. Most store-bought mayos taste nasty to me now, lol.

Ellie, how long does it stay fresh?

This might be a dumb question, but does anyone here add spices or flavorings to plain white rice to make something that would be like RiceARoni or Lipton Rice packet thingies? I'm assuming this should be easy to do - maybe use Chicken Broth instead of water when making the rice and then add...what? Basil? I'm not sure exactly how this would work.