Menu

Meat newbie - need bacon advice

Violet Crown

Backstory: I decided when I went off to college that I was a vegetarian. Dh is a vegetarian. Toward the end of my first pregnancy, I fell off the wagon, and started eating meat again (with dh's blessing, as he isn't ideological about his vegetarianism and I think felt a little manly dragging home the slaughtered mammoth [or HEB roast chicken] for his nursing wife).

Upshot: I've only ever eaten precooked meat, and never learned to cook it myself. Dh thinks I should just learn to cook it at home - it doesn't bother him - and so yesterday I bought bacon. I found the meat section, and hung around the bacon shelf, staring helplessly at the hundred varieties, until a woman with an air of domestic competence came up, looked over the bacon, and picked a package of Hormel Black Label Original. So I got that.

Now it's in my fridge. What do I do? How long does it last uncooked? Cooked? Do I use oil? There seems to be a lot of fat in it already. What kind of oil? What temperature? Should I have started with bacon at all? Help. Please answer as if you were explaining to a slow ten-year-old.

Yes, you should have started with bacon. You made a wise choice. :D

I cook my bacon in the oven. It's SO easy that way. Here's a link.

As for how long it lasts, I have no idea. That's never an issue around here, LOL. I wouldn't keep an opened package of bacon in the fridge more than a few days. Once cooked, I'd eat it within a few days, too. There should be a date on the package telling you when to cook it by. You can always freeze it too.

I do it this way:

Start with a cold pan, lay the individual slices side by side on the pan,
but I add a generous dollop of coconut oil to the pain. I think it happens to turn out better if the bacon is floating in a little bit of fat. I turn the pieces with a fork several times while cooking. If the pieces feel like they are sticking, just run the fork along the underside and it will help.

Save the drippings! So useful for cooking potatoes, or eggs...

I also cook it in the oven but we go through a whole package in one breakfast. It freezes well both uncooked and cooked. If it's just you eating it, you could cook up a whole package and freeze, then just take out a few pieces for your breakfast or BLT and warm them in a pan. My parents buy packages of "nearly cooked" bacon from Costco and then you just warm them /cook them to crisp in a pan.

I find it tastes different in the oven. Maybe I'm nuts. I like it in the oven, but it depends on my mood. I don't know that I prefer it in the oven though.

Really?! I've never thought it tasted different. I just love that it doesn't make a mess of my stove with all the splattering.

I find it tastes different in the oven. Maybe I'm nuts. I like it in the oven, but it depends on my mood. I don't know that I prefer it in the oven though.

I agree. I also don't like to cook it in the oven because the grease spatters everywhere and it's harder to clean the oven than the stove-top.

There's two things I don't really like about bacon. One is the smell lasts forever... the other is it is very messy.

Overlap the slices slightly so the "meat" part of the strip is "over" the fat part of the previous strip. This will maximize the contact of the fat part of the strip with the pan or baking dish and minimize the contact of the meat part of the bacon strip with the pan.

You want to render the fat (which takes a while) without burning the meat. This technique helps. It does leave one strip meat down, but life is not perfect.

The overlap is the opposite of the way the bacon comes packed (where the "meat" is showing and the fat is obscured.

Not many people know this "trick" but it helps cook the bacon evenly.

Bill

Good, thank you thank you, ladies! I'm drooling a little on my iPad now. It must be frying; I'm Texan so frying and barbecuing are the meat options. I can't wait for lessons to be over.

Will a nonstick skillet work?

Keep the temp on the low side of medium, especially with a thin pan (as is the nature of most non-stick pans). You don't want a "hot spot" and might want to rotate the pan as it cooks for extra caution. Lower and slower will be more foolproof and will give you more control over doneness.

Bacon tends to "crisp" post cooking (as you let it cool on paper towel to absorb grease). If you wait for it to get "crisp" in the pan you will likely overcook it.

Bill

Of course you made the right choice. Bacon is food for the gods.

Good directions so far. :-) However, I don't like the bacon to overlap, because the pieces stick together and that makes me crazy. Also, I turn the bacon only once, and I use tongs instead of a fork.

Next time you buy bacon, consider thick-sliced. I loves me some thick-sliced bacon. :-)

If I'm doing a batch I cook it in the oven at 425 for 8 minutes, rotate the pan and then cook until it's done to my liking, which is ultracrisp. No need to flip the bacon, just rotate the pan.

If I'm doing a few strips I place it in my skillet and pour water over it, enough to just cover the bacon. Turn the heat all the way up and boil off the water. This renders some of the fat so that it won't burn on you. As soon as you hear the sizzle turn the heat down to low and let it finish cooking to your preferred state of crispness. This produces a tender-crisp texture that the DH likes, but it is more hands-on that the oven method. You'll have to flip it once-fork or tongs.

Both methods are pretty much splatter-free which I like.

Of course you made the right choice. Bacon is food for the gods.

Good directions so far. :-) However, I don't like the bacon to overlap, because the pieces stick together and that makes me crazy. Also, I turn the bacon only once, and I use tongs instead of a fork.

Next time you buy bacon, consider thick-sliced. I loves me some thick-sliced bacon. :-)

Overlapped bacon will stick if you overlap fat with fat, but that is the wrong way. If you overlap the fat with meat (the correct way) it won't stick and it cooks more evenly.

Bill

You've received good advice already, I just wanted to chime in and say I'm always impressed when someone is willing to try a brand-new skill. I know how intimidating that is!

I'd be slightly more impressed were Shar...ur, uh..."Violet" not one of the smartest whips on the forum. What's next, boiling water? :D

Bill

Bill: you're frightening me, and making me hungrier. What is rendering the fat? Melting it?

Ellie: Good, I'll look for thick-sliced. I already figured out not to buy the kind that had flavoring added.

All: many thanks - I may not remember all the tips the first time, but I'll re-read the thread carefully.

When I saw coconut oil mentioned, my first thought was, "but that's the kind of fat that's bad for you!" :D

Bill: you're frightening me, and making me hungrier. What is rendering the fat? Melting it?

If you look at a bacon strip about a third or fourth is "meat" the rest is fat. When you render the fat portion some will liquify into grease, the rest will brown up in the pan. It takes a little while to accomplish this and a medium to medium-low heat will reduce the odds of burning the bacon.

It is not super tricky.

Bill

When I saw coconut oil mentioned, my first thought was, "but that's the kind of fat that's bad for you!" :D

First of all, there is so much fat in bacon that I can't imagine adding more. It is totally unnecessary if (as Wendy rightly noted) you start with a cold pan. As you gently warm the pan the bacon will release plenty of grease even with a non-non-stick pan. With a non-stick pan more fat is beyond redundant.

As to coconut oil, the subject is controversial. What is known to be very unhealthy is cheap hydrogenated coconut oil. That is certain. Where there is debate is about cold-pressed "virgin" coconut oil, which many heath-foodists are convinced is a very healthful fat, despite being classed a "saturated" fat.

Bill

Hmmm....

Doing the overlap the wrong way is a common mistake because that is the way it comes packed (that is to say the overlap is backwards from the way it should be cooked). So if one takes a slab and doesn't pull it apart and reverse the overlap, and instead just throws the whole thing in a pan, then you are right—it will stick together.

But layering the meat part on top on the fat part of the preceding piece will keep the meat part from overcooking. As the strips cook the fat will naturally shrink and the meat part will then get exposed directly to the pan.

Try it.

Bill

Regarding thick-sliced bacon: check at your grocery store's meat counter. The bacon at ours is thick and SO much better than anything pre-packaged. Its regular price is also cheaper than the packaged stuff. Sometimes the packaged bacon goes on sale, but the little savings isn't worth it to me!

No hints on how to cook it - my method varies with my mood and schedule. i just want to add a plug for nitrate free bacon. Trader Joe's has several varieties and it is all yummy. I have also gotten thick-sliced from the supermarket butcher's counter, but I seem to have more trouble cooking it without burning it (sad but true...).

Cook it on very low heat.

True story.

My mom had two temperatures on her stove: off, and high. She burned most things. My son taught me how to cook bacon, and it is on a very low heat. :0)

Mrs. Learned Late How To Cook speaking here.

;0)

Oh my goodness, you hit the nail on the head - I am a graduate (lol, survivor?!!!) of my mom's school of cooking - high or nothing! I think she had a hard time transitioning from a gas to an electric cook top.

I have discovered low-to-medium heat cooking, and do okay these days, but I would not have thought bacon should be cooked on low. Thanks for the tip, I will try it that way next time.

Easiest, least messy way I know:

Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil. Lay strips of bacon on the foil, not overlapping. Cook in the hot oven for about 15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes to see if it's getting too crisp or not. It kind of depends on how thick the bacon is sliced. You do not need to turn it over.

You can cook the whole package this way. Just drain off the fat between batches. Bacon keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Or, freeze it. Reheat in the microwave about 30-45 seconds.

I usually pre-cook several pounds of bacon like this and freeze it.

If you look at a bacon strip about a third or fourth is "meat" the rest is fat. When you render the fat portion some will liquify into grease, the rest will brown up in the pan. It takes a little while to accomplish this and a medium to medium-low heat will reduce the odds of burning the bacon.

It is not super tricky.

Bill

That depends on what kind of bacon you are cooking -- streaky bacon is like that. Rashers is a lot more meat, only a tiny bit of fat. Dh makes ours, both styles, several different cures. All bacon is god. I mean, good.

Bacon success! I cooked the whole package on low heat - I was a little surprised how much longer it took to cook than vegi-bacon, though I don't know why I should have been; it tastes utterly unlike vegi-bacon. Remembered to put the meat overlapping the fat, though there wasn't any stickage problem anyhow. I must get a pair of tongs.

Had some with an egg for breakfast. It was really, really, really good. I think tomorrow there will be a spicy breakfast taco featuring bacon.

Many thanks to all my bacon-loving advisors. I wonder what meat I will try cooking next. Fish maybe? Lent is coming right up....