Menu

WWYD? and our horrible Christmas event

Acorn

So on Christmas, the sewer drain backed up into the house. Yup, gross. My kids didn't understand the whole implications so it didn't affect their day at all. We found a plumber and he said the clog was due to feminine products. We had house guests the few days before. I thought everyone knew not to flush those, even if the product wrapper says you can. I am wondering now if I should tell the person who stayed here what happened. I don't want her to feel guilty but this was a nightmare that I don't want to be repeated in anyone house.

I've had a sewer backup before...a main line blew...and it was ugly!! Still, I'd not embarrass the guest by pointing it out. I might be tempted to, but I think it would horrify the person. Perhaps before you have guests again, put a small sign in the bathrooms telling people not to flush anything but toilet paper? In our home, I'd say "Warning...old pipes! Please flush only what you must!" ;)

I wouldn't say anything to anyone. When you have company put up a rules sheet. Seriously. Print out some basic rules. Some cute, some serious. Like:

*If you need more towels they are under the sink

*Extra toilet paper is in the cabinet on the wall

*Please do not flush sanitary items due to some plumbing issues. Trash can is beside the toilet

*If you need any toiletry items there is a basket in the linen closet.

Something like that. Frame it and hang it up when you have overnight guests in the bathroom. They will read it.

I've had a sewer backup before...a main line blew...and it was ugly!! Still, I'd not embarrass the guest by pointing it out. I might be tempted to, but I think it would horrify the person. Perhaps before you have guests again, put a small sign in the bathrooms telling people not to flush anything but toilet paper? In our home, I'd say "Warning...old pipes! Please flush only what you must!" ;)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I wouldn't say anything to anyone. When you have company put up a rules sheet. Seriously. Print out some basic rules. Some cute, some serious. Like:

*Please do not flush sanitary items due to some plumbing issues. Trash can is beside the toilet

Something like that. Frame it and hang it up when you have overnight guests in the bathroom. They will read it.

I agree with this. Flushing certain feminine products isn't a problem in most modern homes attached to sewer lines. It wouldn't necessarily occur to someone to ask whether it's a problem in your house.

Don't say anything.

My sister lived in their brand new house for two years and then they had sewage flood their house. They dug up the line and guess what? The builder never connected their sewage line to the main line!! So it took two years for their pipe to get clogged enough to back up into the house. It was unbelievable and their insurance company is going after the builder.

I have a different take. I'm old, so I've had more than one backup in my life. The only time the plumber didn't say it was a feminine product was when they had to replace the main sewer line. In some of the instances when they told me feminine product, I knew it wasn't possible. I think it is what plumbers say about backups when they don't know what caused it. I also suspect because I've seen this with smaller clogs I've dealt with that sometimes too much paper is used and it might look like a feminine product.

Whether you buy this or not, I still wouldn't say anything to the guests.

I have a different take. I'm old, so I've had more than one backup in my life. The only time the plumber didn't say it was a feminine product was when they had to replace the main sewer line. In some of the instances when they told me feminine product, I knew it wasn't possible. I think it is what plumbers say about backups when they don't know what caused it. I also suspect because I've seen this with smaller clogs I've dealt with that sometimes too much paper is used and it might look like a feminine product.

Whether you buy this or not, I still wouldn't say anything to the guests.

I agree. I have never understood the whole deal with "feminine products" not being flushed. WARNING: TMI An applicator or a pad, okay. But a tampon? How is it any different from a wad of TP? For that matter, a used tampon is smaller and softer than an average BM! So what's the big deal?

I agree. I have never understood the whole deal with "feminine products" not being flushed. WARNING: TMI An applicator or a pad, okay. But a tampon? How is it any different from a wad of TP? For that matter, a used tampon is smaller and softer than an average BM! So what's the big deal?

They are not compatible with septic systems because they do not break down and degrade easily. It's not the size that is usually the issue.

We had our sewer back up into the house twice. The 2nd time, they ran a camera through the line and discovered that our sewer pipe went UPHILL. They had to dig out the pipe and retrench it to make it go downhill. We haven't had a problem since then. They also installed popup drains outside so that if such a thing ever happens again, the sewage will leak into the front yard rather than the house.

They are not compatible with septic systems because they do not break down and degrade easily. It's not the size that is usually the issue.

Also, tampons have strings. We have an aeration system, and the strings can get wound around the motor. I think it would be OK just to place a note near the toilet that asks not to flush feminine products.

Our toilet backed up and flooded the bathroom, living room, and

garage a few days before we moved. I could hear the plumbers talking about how clogged the line was with branches so they called my landlord to get her permission to do about $1000 worth of work which she refused. The plumber then came to tell me that the clog had been caused by tampons getting caught on the pipe and swelling. I don't use tampons and told him so, to which he replied "must have been guests then." So, I was stuck paying the bill because I was at fault for non-existent tampons in the drain.

However, I do know that many, many clogs and back ups are caused by them.

I would do something like this. I wouldn't mention it to her. And, people really don't know about that. When I was an office manager, I had to call maintenance many times for clogged feminine hygiene products. I'm not talking little tampons, either. People tried to flush overnight maxis with wings and all! :blink: :eek: :ack2:

Wow. I learn something new every day. It had never even occurred to me that one would try to flush any type of feminine product.

Perhaps I better put up a warning sign in my bathroom considering our old plumbing and the fact pretty much anything can have me reaching for the plunger and toilet snake.

Now does anyone happen to have a link to a nice sign I can just print? All pretty and everything?

We had our sewer back up into the house twice. The 2nd time, they ran a camera through the line and discovered that our sewer pipe went UfcccfcffccccccccccvbbPHILL. They had to dig out the pipe and retrench it to make it go downhill. We haven't had a problem since then. They also installed popup drains outside so that if such a thing ever happens again, the sewage will leak into the front yard rather than the house.

I suspect this is true, but since the op says sewer, I think she, like me, is on a line not a septic tank. Also blockage implies an obstruction in the line not the septic tank malfunctioning.

My husband has been a plumber for 18 years and a master plumber for 12. He comes from a long line of plumbers and we have many in the family. He also consults with the state inspector when the inspector is unsure of something. My husband says never flush feminine products, flushable wipes, paper towels, etc. While they may be flushable they do not break down. They can snag on tree roots, swell, attach to gunk on pipe walls, and more. If you ever hear a plumber refer to a sewer rat they are referring to a flushed tampon. They can cause damage years down the line. You should also never put pasta or egg shells down the garbage disposal- egg shells float and can block a pipe and pasta swells and sticks to the pipe walls.

As a child, our toilet clogged thanks to my older sister using way too much toilet paper. The rule in our house was to never flush TP (or anything else) down the toity. When I grew up and left the house, I found it odd to see signs of "Do not flush feminine napkins" on bathroom walls. I thought everyone knew not to do that. I still toss out bulky TP or feminine items in the trash to this day instead of flushing it. (?????) We just take the trash out daily so it does not smell.

My brother is a plumber, and he tells me that even in modern construction, it just isn't wise to flush tampons. I even asked him about new construction, and he said they eventually you will see issues from it if it is done. They are meant to be absorbent, and so instead of breaking down, they swell in size.

They may appear small, and not much larger than other things that are flushed (bm, toilet paper), but the problem is, what you see before you flush is a tampon that could not swell too much, due to the limitations of your body. I mean, it can only get so big whilst inside of a person (sorry, not quite sure how to explain that delicately...). The tampon swells larger once allowed to soak in the wonderfulness of your septic tank or sewer system.

My husband has been a plumber for 18 years and a master plumber for 12. He comes from a long line of plumbers and we have many in the family. He also consults with the state inspector when the inspector is unsure of something. My husband says never flush feminine products, flushable wipes, paper towels, etc. While they may be flushable they do not break down. They can snag on tree roots, swell, attach to gunk on pipe walls, and more. If you ever hear a plumber refer to a sewer rat they are referring to a flushed tampon. They can cause damage years down the line. You should also never put pasta or egg shells down the garbage disposal- egg shells float and can block a pipe and pasta swells and sticks to the pipe walls.

Our plumber/friend won't even flush tp down his.

I would not say anything, however I would post a note in the bathroom saying some thing like, please don't flush feminine products, because our sewer backed up when something like that was flushed before. Keep in mind though that the plumber could have made that up. Our septic guy said that was our issue once, and we only use cloth pads and had no guests for months due to illness, so that was certainly not it lol.

Our plumber/friend won't even flush tp down his.

First, this is disgusting.

Second, let's talk a moment about some of the most hazardous waste in the world and how it has to be at least partially adhering to the tp he puts in his trash can. What kind of sanitary measures does he take? If he was doing this in a doctor's office or hospital, it would have to go in the bio hazard box and properly disposed of not put in the trash.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I grew up being told not to flushtampons. Normal procedure for me. When we bought our first and then our 2nd homes, they were older, and the sewer lines had tree roots grown into them. Tampons get wrapped around them and cause the Roto Rooter man to come out a little more often.

We have renters in those two homes now..........It's impossible to monitor that, so we just RR more often.

My DIL's did not grow up with that piece of advice and they have since been told what the rules our here, even tho we have no issues. SOme day they may own older homes..actually our son and his wife just bought an older home with lots of trees..hmm.....maybe I saved them some grief.

:thumbup1: