Menu

Dr. Hive -- How to treat adult ear infection?

Serenade

I woke up this morning with a raging ear infection. It was odd, because it didn't bother me last night at all. I've had a very mucous-y cold for about 2 weeks, and I guess that's why. Anything I can do at home to self-treat? I've just started on the sudafed, and I take 5 mg of prednisone daily for my RA anyhow. I could up the prednisone, but prefer not to. (Once when I had a lot of fluid behind my ears, doc suggested doing just that.) My ears frequently get clogged up when I have a cold, but this is the first time in recent history that one has actually hurt. I'd really, really, like to NOT go to the doctor. I live in a small town and would have to go to the city for a doctor. I don't think I have a fever at the moment if that makes a difference.

Ear aches are the worst. For me, they always turn in to full blown infections, which for me means antibiotics. Hope you find relief quickly.

I really hope I don't need antibiotics, but I'm worried that I might. Usually I just get clogged up ears, but this time, it hurts!

Google to see if there's a way to treat with grapefruit seed extract. You might also look for garlic oil; our health food section of our grocery store has some brands of ear support that have garlic oil in them. (I would personally put some breastmilk drops in my ear, but that only works because I happen to have a nursing baby in my house.)

The last time I had an ear infection, I did end up taking antibiotics, but mainly because I was pregnant and didn't want to mess around with waiting to see if it would get worse or better.

boironsells homeopathic remedies. I had a full-blown sinus infection and was contemplating going and getting antibiotics (I"ve had many sinus infections, this was a bad one.). I tried this first, and so glad I did. It worked at least as fast asa antibiotics did - and I didn't have to go in, and didn't have to kill every other form of bacteria in my body.

if you scroll down, on the left side of the page is a "medicine finder". you should find what you need. super supplements stocks them, as does my son's ND's favorite compounding pharmacy.

Neti Pot! Make sure you use distilled water. Some people add a bit of salt, some a bit of tree tea oil. I do salt.

It will help clear the fluid from your nasal passages which drain into your ears.

I used to have one, but I don't know what happened to it. I could probably get one at the local health food store. Even today.

Google to see if there's a way to treat with grapefruit seed extract. You might also look for garlic oil; our health food section of our grocery store has some brands of ear support that have garlic oil in them. (I would personally put some breastmilk drops in my ear, but that only works because I happen to have a nursing baby in my house.)

The last time I had an ear infection, I did end up taking antibiotics, but mainly because I was pregnant and didn't want to mess around with waiting to see if it would get worse or better.

Normally I wouldn't mind waiting, either. I can take a bit of pain. But, why, oh why, did this have to happen now, right before Christmas. Arghhhh!

It sounds like I need to make a trip to the health food store.

Where do you buy them? Health food store? And do you take them orally, or put in ear? Yes, I'm clueless!

Thanks!

Health/vitamin store. You can get drops or capsules. I like the capsules better because the drops burn a bit. If you have the drops you can put a bit in your ear (only works if your infection is on the outside of the ear drum and only is safe if the ear drum isn't perforated.)

boironsells homeopathic remedies. I had a full-blown sinus infection and was contemplating going and getting antibiotics (I"ve had many sinus infections, this was a bad one.). I tried this first, and so glad I did. It worked at least as fast asa antibiotics did - and I didn't have to go in, and didn't have to kill every other form of bacteria in my body.

if you scroll down, on the left side of the page is a "medicine finder". you should find what you need. super supplements stocks them, as does my son's ND's favorite compounding pharmacy.

I'm going to take a look around this website for the future. I'm willing to consider keeping such things in stock. Sure wish I had something in stock NOW. Blah.

The last two years, I've treated both the kids' and my ear infections at home.

Our first go-to treatment is 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Lie on your side with the affected ear up and pour a capful of HP into your ear. You'll feel it bubbling after a minute or so, which is normal. Leave it in for 10-15 minutes, and then drain it (I put a towel on the ear before sitting up so there's no mess). The HP reduces the pain and can kill the infection (it is both anti-bacterial and anti-septic). Sometimes, one treatment completely takes care of the problem - if the pain comes back that day or the next, I'll do another treatment. Note: if you think it's possible that you have a burst eardrum, don't use this remedy, as it could make things worse.

In addition to the HP, we take extra Vitamin C (3,000 mg per day) and Zinc (50mg day) to boost immune function.

Hope you feel better soon!

Homeopathy requires a belief in the idea that water has a memory that can heal you when substances are diluted to the point where not a single molecule of the cure is present in the final formulation.

The fact is that MOST ear infections don't heal any faster with antibiotics....and then you get cases like my last ear infection, which required 4 doctors' visits, including 2 to an ENT, and two rounds of cipro! So, if it's bad and getting worse, I'd see someone. YOu can try the doc-in-a-box at the Minute Clinic at your nearest CVS for fastest treatment.

Someone linked this video when dd had ears that wouldn't drain after an ear infection. Maybe it will help resolve your ear infection by allowing the fluid to drain.

Okay, pasting the link isn't working...Grrr...

So...go to youtube.com and search for ear lymph massage and you will find a video by Massage by Heather that will teach you what to do.

My dd's ears were very slow to drain but I think there was improvement after starting the massage.

The last two years, I've treated both the kids' and my ear infections at home.

Our first go-to treatment is 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Lie on your side with the affected ear up and pour a capful of HP into your ear. You'll feel it bubbling after a minute or so, which is normal. Leave it in for 10-15 minutes, and then drain it (I put a towel on the ear before sitting up so there's no mess). The HP reduces the pain and can kill the infection (it is both anti-bacterial and anti-septic). Sometimes, one treatment completely takes care of the problem - if the pain comes back that day or the next, I'll do another treatment. Note: if you think it's possible that you have a burst eardrum, don't use this remedy, as it could make things worse.

In addition to the HP, we take extra Vitamin C (3,000 mg per day) and Zinc (50mg day) to boost immune function.

Hope you feel better soon!

This might help if putting HP in your ear got it on the other side of you tympanic membrane, where the ear infection almost always is.

The extra Vit C will do nothing but give you a nice placebo effect.

Hi Serenade,

For congested nose ear & throat infection, our home remedy:

Freshly grated garlic mixed in olive oil. Make sure garlic and spoon is dry - there should be NO water. Use a few drops of the the garlic oil in ear. Keep it in there for a couple of minutes (lie down), then turn on the other side & drain the oil from the ear on tissue. You can also try this with just olive oil ear drops, but garlic does get rid of fungal/bacterial ear infections.

Personally I think you may be alright just using pure olive oil for ear drops, Gargle with warm-hot saline water 3-4 times a day and keep throat clear.

Add lemons in your diet - drink ginger & lemon teas & keep hydrated, especially when coughing and blow nose to clear any mucous. Eat well and include live yogurt, fruit herbs & add garlic in your diet.

Keep warm do exercise during the day, use vick's (menthol) vapour rub on your chest and use a hot water bottle at bedtime.

BW

The fact is that MOST ear infections don't heal any faster with antibiotics....and then you get cases like my last ear infection, which required 4 doctors' visits, including 2 to an ENT, and two rounds of cipro! So, if it's bad and getting worse, I'd see someone. YOu can try the doc-in-a-box at the Minute Clinic at your nearest CVS for fastest treatment.

Well, this is good to know. I have about a 5 day supply of Cipro which would at least get me through Christmas. I was wondering if it would work for ear infections. If I'm not feeling better by tomorrow, I guess I'll start it. I do feel some movement in my ear so I hope that's a good sign.

Hi Serenade,

For congested nose ear & throat infection, our home remedy:

Freshly grated garlic mixed in olive oil. Make sure garlic and spoon is dry - there should be NO water. Use a few drops of the the garlic oil in ear. Keep it in there for a couple of minutes (lie down), then turn on the other side & drain the oil from the ear on tissue. You can also try this with just olive oil ear drops, but garlic does get rid of fungal/bacterial ear infections.

Personally I think you may be alright just using pure olive oil for ear drops, Gargle with warm-hot saline water 3-4 times a day and keep throat clear.

Add lemons in your diet - drink ginger & lemon teas & keep hydrated, especially when coughing and blow nose to clear any mucous. Eat well and include live yogurt, fruit herbs & add garlic in your diet.

Keep warm do exercise during the day, use vick's (menthol) vapour rub on your chest and use a hot water bottle at bedtime.

BW

Thank you for these tips. I have all of these things at home. I have not yet made it to the store for oregano capsules or garlic capsules. Today is such a hard day to be sick.

WHether it can be treated by home remedies or not depends where the ear infection is. Outer ear infections, like swimmer's ear, can be treated with things like alcohol or probably hydrogen peroxide. However, inner ear infections, which feel completely differently, cannot be treated by any type of topical remedy since the ear drum prevents said item from going in the inner ear.

One thing that sometimes helps decongestion of the eustachian tubes are medications like Nasonex. I think it may help me a bit but not really enough. I don't have an ear infection- I just have conductive hearing loss due to eustachian tube fluid (or should I probably say, thick, non moving mucus) and inner ear involvement. My ENT prescribed it though he said it probably wouldn't give me good hearing. (My hearing is just on the cusp of needing a hearing aid and I am the unusual person in that my hearing nerves are fine, just my ear is so clogged ((and no ear tubes wouldn't help since my problem is that the mucus is too thick))).

This is what I ended up doing -- the garlic oil/mullein blend. I've had two doses already, so we'll see how things are tomorrow. Sheesh. I smell bad, like garlic. Blech. That part is making me queasy, and normally I like garlic, but I don't want to smell it the live-long day.

I guess if it's not better in a couple of days I'll go to the doctor. And I have Cipro as a back-up if things get bad on Christmas, although I'd prefer not to use it without a doctor's input.

WHether it can be treated by home remedies or not depends where the ear infection is. Outer ear infections, like swimmer's ear, can be treated with things like alcohol or probably hydrogen peroxide. However, inner ear infections, which feel completely differently, cannot be treated by any type of topical remedy since the ear drum prevents said item from going in the inner ear.

One thing that sometimes helps decongestion of the eustachian tubes are medications like Nasonex. I think it may help me a bit but not really enough. I don't have an ear infection- I just have conductive hearing loss due to eustachian tube fluid (or should I probably say, thick, non moving mucus) and inner ear involvement. My ENT prescribed it though he said it probably wouldn't give me good hearing. (My hearing is just on the cusp of needing a hearing aid and I am the unusual person in that my hearing nerves are fine, just my ear is so clogged ((and no ear tubes wouldn't help since my problem is that the mucus is too thick))).

Thank you for your input. I wonder about my ear tubes and/or fluid build-up. I had plenty of ear infections as a child, but never had them as an adult until after I had kids. As an adult, one time my fluid was so bad that nothing cleared it until I loaded up on prednisone per the doctor's suggestion. But now I haven't had a significant problem in a while, although I had a bit of hearing loss in September after a virus, but I didn't need to go to the doc and I didn't have pain, just congestion. This time I have pain. But, I do seem to feel things in my ears when I have colds, and it worries me because I had a dacryocystorhinostomy last year due to clogged tear ducts. This is on the same side of my head where I had the eye surgery so maybe something is not right. Sigh.

Well, this is good to know. I have about a 5 day supply of Cipro which would at least get me through Christmas. I was wondering if it would work for ear infections. If I'm not feeling better by tomorrow, I guess I'll start it. I do feel some movement in my ear so I hope that's a good sign.

Cipro is on off-label use. It's the Big Guns. :) Second-line antibiotic.

One thing that sometimes helps decongestion of the eustachian tubes are medications like Nasonex.

Top--absolutely!

Bottom--it works if the pressure build up isn't so great that the "trap door" the the eustachian tube won't open anymore, which is unfortunately pretty quick to happen. :(

Cipro is on off-label use. It's the Big Guns. :) Second-line antibiotic.

I can't take amox (allergic) so I've often been prescribed Cipro. What I have is leftover from an eye infection prior to surgery last year. Although I hope I don't have to use it -- it's my emergency back-up if this gets worse today and/or tomorrow because going to the doc isn't a good option right now due to the holidays. So far it seems a tad better than yesterday. Maybe the garlic is working. But oh, how I stink. I almost couldn't sleep last night for the stink of garlic. Maybe the stink of garlic just numbs everything else. LOL.

heaps and heaps of garlic.

Heat, lay wit that ear down on a hot pack, or hot water bottle or something when you go to bed.

I'll try the hot pack tonight. I've been applying compresses during the day, but nothing at night. The garlic is driving me crazy, though. Constantly smelling it is making me nauseous. Nothing covers up that smell.

I'm not sure if this will help, but when we lived overseas, it was most common for doctors to prescribe just a few days of antibiotics for a middle ear infection. Usually, things did clear up in that time and reinfection did not occur. Hopefully, your five days of cipro will do the trick.

My friend lost hearing in one ear due to an ear infection, which I had never heard of before until it happened last year to my neighbor. I don't know about my neighbor, but for my friend, she went in for a normal ear infection to the Dr on a Fri and had lost her hearing by Mon.

I go in now at the first sign of an ear infection.

Good luck.

When my DD had (severe) fungal ear infections and hearing loss, I never bought garlic oil. I made it at home. I took 4-6 fresh, clean, garlic cloves peeled them and crushed them in a (dry) bowl. I added a couple of tablespoons of pure olive oil, mixed it with the crushed garlic and left the garlic oil mixture in the bowl to stand for a while. I used a clean tsp and added drops in her ear whenever she had an earache. She would feel the 'garlic sting' and then it would disappear. When she drained it she would feel much better. However we continued this treatment until her ear canal healed. She herself used to swallow 3 crushed garlic almost every day. It wasn't easy for her and she found it sickly, even her tummy hurt sometimes (candida detox), but this upset tummy went away. She had these double ear infections for a full year, which included, itchiness, swelling of the canal, debris, redness of the ears, jaw pain, tinnitus, bumps in throat, a lot of pain in her ears.The fact that I went through a horrendous time with this recurring ear infection (after trying antibiotics) made pointing me her gut flora and that candida, wheat intolerance or Celiac disease could be the cause. The way she used to feel fatigued in the mornings, grouchy, moody were signs that something was not right in her diet. So we stopped all gluten, wheat products & high carbs, esp refined sugar, I gave her more natural live yogurt (probiotics), prepared alkali meals, (vegetables spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, aubergine), gave her more pre-biotics (e.g. leeks), even had to restrict fruits as they too were high carbs and would have an impact on her ear infection. (Diabetics can have more problems with ear infections). Takeaways, transfats & junk foods were out. I gave her vitamins with her meat, fish, eggs & vegetables. After the garlic treatment, and change of diet, without antibiotics and without any pharmaceutical product her hearing has restored fully and she no longer has any infection - she did have slight one this winter a couple of weeks ago but went after a day. The perforation in her ear which the doctor only found about 5 months ago has also now healed by itself without any medical intervention.

Serenade, I really feel for you and I hope & pray you get well soon. I personally have never had an ear pain till this winter but it was slight and once I gargled, took vitamins an had lemons I felt a lot better. Please don't worry about the smell of the garlic, your health is more important. Clean the side of your face/neck where the oil has fallen to get rid of the smell. Change your pillowcase or put a towel on top before sleeping. Try some lavender oil and rub that just on the side of your neck (eustachian tube), it will take some of the garlic smell away. Also try adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water, put a towel over your head and try inhaling the steam from your nose & breath out from your mouth.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best Wishes

Just wanted to thank you all again for your suggestions. I tried the garlic oil/mullein for 3 days, but in the end the pain got so bad I had to go to the doctor. It seemed to get better for a day, but then on Christmas it worsened, and the follow day I was getting dizzy so I figured I better see a doc. I am now on two antibiotics and am just starting to feel better today. It really brought me to my knees. I'm just happy I was able to power through Christmas -- my mom, sis and her boyfriend were all joining us, and I felt I couldn't let them down.

Just wanted to thank you all again for your suggestions. I tried the garlic oil/mullein for 3 days, but in the end the pain got so bad I had to go to the doctor. It seemed to get better for a day, but then on Christmas it worsened, and the follow day I was getting dizzy so I figured I better see a doc. I am now on two antibiotics and am just starting to feel better today. It really brought me to my knees. I'm just happy I was able to power through Christmas -- my mom, sis and her boyfriend were all joining us, and I felt I couldn't let them down.

I'm glad that you got the antibiotics. Sometimes you need the bigger guns.

Ear infections are terrible. I'm glad you were seen and got meds.

I get frequent infections from constant fluid. I'll be getting my third set of tubes as an adult in 2 weeks (as long as this doc doesn't change his mind like the last!). Tubes are the only way to keep my ears healthy, otherwise the drum ruptures, and i live on antibiotics.

I'm glad that you got the antibiotics. Sometimes you need the bigger guns.

Ouch. I don't have any good advise but :grouphug: for the pain. Ear aches are awful! It's no wonder babies scream and tug. I hope you recover quickly.

Thank you both for you sympathy. I'm finally starting to feel better today, although I can't hear well yet. Tee hee, makes it easier to drown out the LOUD boys.

I get frequent infections from constant fluid. I'll be getting my third set of tubes as an adult in 2 weeks (as long as this doc doesn't change his mind like the last!). Tubes are the only way to keep my ears healthy, otherwise the drum ruptures, and i live on antibiotics.

I wonder if tubes are in my future. I'm worried about my drainage. A few years back -- maybe 5 or 6, I had some bad colds two years in a row where I totally lost my hearing. No significant pain, but just fluid that wouldn't drain. It took a mega dose of prednisone to clear it all up. And while it's not unusual for me to have some hearing loss now and then from a cold, it usually clears up on its own. I don't know why I ended up with such a severe case this time. Last year I ended up with eye surgery because my tear ducts were not draining and I had tremendous eye infections, so now I'm worried about that whole side of my head -- this ear infection was on the same side. When they went in to do the eye surgery, they noted there were no tumors, but I can't help but worry a little bit.

Just wanted to thank you all again for your suggestions. I tried the garlic oil/mullein for 3 days, but in the end the pain got so bad I had to go to the doctor. It seemed to get better for a day, but then on Christmas it worsened, and the follow day I was getting dizzy so I figured I better see a doc. I am now on two antibiotics and am just starting to feel better today. It really brought me to my knees. I'm just happy I was able to power through Christmas ....

My dd went through a lot of ear pain, after seeing the doctors, using ear drops & spraying antibiotics (with steroids) in her ear.Then I read about how antibiotics make ear infections worse, making them return. That was the last time we used these chemicals.

We have not tried mullein. I only used fresh crushed garlic, infused in olive oil, in my dd's ears which got better each time, gratefully, with her full hearing restored in both ears.

I changed her diet & went gluten-free, low carb, as explained in another thread here. My dd also complained about eye pain, jaw pain, dizziness etc. I also stopped using sunflower oil, after researching how it can lower immune response. We kept to a wheat-free & grain-free, simple, natural diet on, meat, fish, chicken, eggs, (green) vegetables, (avoiding potatoes, fruits & high carbs) for months, Some of these viruses, bacteria & fungi which cause ear infections, feed on carbs). Check out also diabetes, because frequent ear infections may be a sign.

Recently, we've been through a bitter flu/cold but thank God, (after all the prayers) her ears and eyes, are fine

Please do check out whether or not, you have perforation in your ear. This may be causing you pain. Avoid inserting or cleaning your ears with cotton buds etc, avoid water in your ears and do not scratch your ears if they get itchy (scratching it, might increase your ear pain, hearing loss or tinnitus).

Try, having more lemons in your diet & lemon & ginger teas, gargle with saline water. A (free) consultation with a Naturopathist may be beneficial as you may get more advice on ear infections.

Take care & get better soon! :)

Cipro also has some very bad side effects for some people (ie. me). Do not take if you haven't been prescribed it before and even then read up on the side effects and discontinue if necessary.

Yeah, I started to get Achilles tension. :blink: Months later, I found out that's more common with my muscle disorder. Ooops.

I was in the same boat, with frequent ruptures and adult tubes, until I had sinus surgery. By then my allergies were under control thanks to meds and allergy shots, but it really took cleaning out the old inflamed sinus tissue and getting a fresh start to break the cycle. It's been a number of years since the surgery and I haven't had an ear inflection requiring antibiotics and/or prednisone since.