Menu

Fun ideas for a stay-at-home-all-day Christmas?

ksr5377

So it's looking like all three children are succumbing to the flu, even the two who were vaccinated. Needless to say, it's highly improbably that by Tuesday everyone will be healthy enough for traveling and all the huge family events we typically go to. Also, I understand they could potentially still be contagious for several days after symptoms have subsided. And yet the DR. said to send them back to school (forgetting we homeschool) when they were fever free for 24 hours? Anyways, that's another issue. So as I said, we normally have crazy, chaotic holiday celebrations. We NEVER just stay home. I need some ideas for some low key things to do for the 4 & 6 year old. I tried to warn my 6yo that we probably wouldn't be going anywhere and she just so sad, I would like to be able to do something special for the day.

Hmmm, our entire lives are crazy, chaotic -- we are up and dressed and going someplace every single day of the week, pretty much every week of the year. So my kids consider it a treat to stay in their jammies all day, watching movies (we rarely watch television at all, especially during the day) and putting together Legos (you can tell by my kids' ages how often we usually sit on the floor playing like that).

Playtime together is lovely. Is there a craft could do together? Do some of their dolls need a spa day? A special jigsaw puzzle? Put together the pieces of the puzzle, and realize that it spells out some "secret" message to go look in the closet for a box, which has an extra surprise movie in it? FOr that matter, hide most of their gifts, and have a treasure hunt to find them and open them?

Sorry you're going through this. We've had this happen a few times. and we always found it made for a nice Christmas in a low-key sort of way.

Once on their own my kids set up a "Christmas Cafe" for breakfast. (Actually I think it was the day after, but the idea still is good). They spent time making a simple breakfast and served it on holiday paper plates. I remember it being a very warm and cozy time.

Or spread a blanket out and do a lunch picnic.

Another year I got each kid a small tree and hauled out all the craft stuff I could find and let them make ornaments. I just left it all set up for a few days and they went to it. I think that was the year when it was moving through the house one person at a time and the baby was sick right before.

Decorating a gingerbread house is fun and time consuming. Sometimes I would just get the Wilton kits they have at Walmart or Michaels.

Have a sleepover in sleeping bags by the Christmas tree.

If they are well enough later in the evening, go out for a movie.

Load them up in the car and go out to look at Christmas lights.

Make a recording talking about Christmas memories--both theirs and yours.

Give your daughter a holiday-themed manicure.

Good luck with this--I could go on but I really need to get crackin' on my to-do list because it's Christmas business as usual at our house!

We love to stay home. I usually have to figure out a way to decline invitations to go out, lol. My kids are usually consumed by their presents all day. Eventually, my dh tends to make it out to the garage usually bringing one or both of the kids with him. We like things low key. I'd second board games, or even Christmas movies if everyone feels lousy.

Oh Hugs, it can be a little lonely spending Christmas at home when you are accustomed to being around a lot of family for the holidays.

Try to focus on memory making activities. Do things you might not do regularly.

1. Make a fort in the living room or set up a tent.

2. plan a special party they can invite their dolls/stuffed animals too....prepare snack plate, make a name card for each guest, lay out a table cloth (sheet) and have a tea party.

3. make home made play doh in several shades and everyone play together....get daddy involved, they make the best things out of play doh

4. make your own pizza even if it is hoggie roll cut in half with toppings on it

5.draw a pretty picture on a window with washable markers

6. movie marathon...how many movies can we watch in the next 2 days?

Laugh, hug make memories and take pictures. This could be the Christmas they remember all their lives!

We stay in pjs all day, play with the toys, work on a Christmas puzzle, watch Christmas movies. This year we are making Butterbeer and pretzel dogs. If they are feeling better, maybe a nice Christmas hike. Make cookies, eat cookies. Make a gingerbread house. Get one of those foam board kits they sell at Michaels and put it together...these usually are discounted by now. We did a Christmas train one year and I am thinking of getting the gingerbread house this year.

Hope you all are better to enjoy the day. One of mine was sick last year and it was the pits, she was miserable and could not enjoy her gifts. This year we went into quarantine mode 2 weeks before Christmas day so we can avoid any sickness or be over any we did catch.

They may be well enough by next week. Often the symptoms aren't so severe if you've been vaccinated. Doctors send kids back to school after 24 hours of being fever free all the time. Maybe you can go out and do a little something and then play at home together. A drive at night to see Christmas lights would be fun along with the other ideas.

OH my gosh, FOOD! I'm sure this sounds ridiculous but I didn't even think about what we would be eating that day! I suppose it won't be much of a Christmas dinner if I just make the items I was to bring to the big events. Two veggie trays and two desserts probably won't cut it. I'm usually planning on NOT having food in the house around the holidays since we travel.

You can have a Candle Nativity devotional using music on mp3/CD and random candles from around the house.

Sing: Joy to the World or Oh Come all Ye Faithful

Light: Mary and Joseph candles

Read: Luke 2:1, 4, 5

Light: Jesus candle

Read: Luke 2:6-7

Sing: Away in a Manger

Light: Shepherd candles

Read: Luke 2:8

Light: Tallest Angel candle

Read: Luke 2:9-14

Light: Other angel candles

Sing: Hark the Herald Angels Sing

Read: Luke 2:15-17

Light: Wise men candle

Read: Matthew 2:1, 2, 9, 11

Sing: We Three Kings

Read Matthew 2:12

Snuff out wise men candles

Read Luke 2:20

Snuff out shepherd candles

Read Luke 2:15

Snuff out angel candles

Read "And many years later, Mary and Joseph passed away."

Snuff out Mary and Joseph candles

Read: "But the light that began in Bethlehem was the Light of the World. The Light still shines in the darkness and the darkness has never overcome the light."

Sing: Silent Night

We are those annoying cheesy people that take hours to open gifts and "ooooo and aaaaaa" over every little thing. We eat, sit around, watch tv, eat more, crack a bottle, eat more......possibly nap, eat more. That's about it. I love to sit around and do nothing.

We have stayed home the last several years. We have a huge breakfast/brunch of all their favorite things and spend the day watching movies (they always get new ones in their stockings), playing games, and we usually make a gingerbread house from one of those all-inclusive kits.

We always stay home and we love our Christmas day traditions. Kiddos get an early start with stockings. I make a nice breakfast. We open presents one at a time, slowly. We eat Christmas cookies and fun foods like pigs in blankets, taquitos, or pizza rolls. We watch a new DVD (it will be Madagascar 3 this year). I will put the lasagna (prepped the day before so I get Christmas off) into the oven and we'll eat around 3 or 4. Dessert is usually chocolate milk shakes or just ice cream. Everyone enjoys their gifts--the kids will play all day, Mom and Dad will read new books.

We typically stay home, though often with visitors stopping in.

We make a fire in the fire place, read, take the dog for a nice walk in the woods. I can't remember ever watching tv or movies on Christmas day, but it may have happened. I don't know what we do all day. In past years, I have cooked a proper Christmas dinner and folks come over for that. This year I am bagging that! We may go see the Hobbit, though.

OH my gosh, FOOD! I'm sure this sounds ridiculous but I didn't even think about what we would be eating that day! I suppose it won't be much of a Christmas dinner if I just make the items I was to bring to the big events. Two veggie trays and two desserts probably won't cut it. I'm usually planning on NOT having food in the house around the holidays since we travel.

If I could offer a word of advice, it would be to carry in or make it very simple. We had going through our house over Thanksgiving but since I was well I decided to make a turkey dinner. Bad news as I came down with it on Thanksgiving. I should have gone to Fresh Market and picked up an entree and a few sides, or sent the well ones out.

We never go anywhere on Christmas, either. We turn on some Christmas music. Our routine is to hit the stockings first thing, while still in PJs, then take a break for breakfast.

Our traditional morning food has always been bagels, but we've recently discovered that our preferred bagel shop is using a non-vegan ingredient. We haven't found a substitute yet. So, I'm not sure what we'll have this year, but something simple for sure.

Those of us who wish to shower and dress do so at this point. (Some prefer to stay in PJs all day, but I can't really wake up and feel human unless I shower and wash my hair.)

Once we're fortified, we start on the tree. We take turns opening gifts, stopping to discuss and appreciate as we go.

By the time we're done with presents, everyone is usually ready for a break. I head into the kitchen to work on dinner. (A few years ago, we decided to make our favorite Indian-inspired feast, since it's everyone's favorite meal. I try to get some things started the day before so I don't have to spend all day in the kitchen.) Everyone else naps or reads whatever new books or watches a new DVD from under the tree. Sometime in the afternoon, we might play a board game. I usually end up napping a bit.

In the evening, we set our table nicely, turn down the lights, light candles and have our special meal. We always start with English Christmas crackers on each person's plate, and no one is allowed to eat until we've popped open the crackers, read the joke, traded the prizes as necessary and put on the ridiculous paper crown.

After dinner, we might watch something or play another game together.

I really like being home for the holiday.