Menu

Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos

Kathryn

I just read about this (on FB of all places :glare: ) Actually, they don't have the right to sell your photos, but to use any of your content without compesation. Having an account means that you have given them permission to use your photos. This is why we don't use Instgram. Never saw a use for it and now it seems even less useful.

It's only for "public" Instagram photos, and is fairly standard language for these sites. However, there's been a (hopefully) growing shift back to a recently resurrected Flickr... which makes sense to me: I'd want an app that plays nice with more than just Facebook and its own website. I think Instagram's recent kerfuffle with Twitter will have greater repercussion than this flap.

Help me understand this. Is this only for Instagram photos or all photos on FB? I put photos I take on my iPhone on my FB page for friends and family to see, but I have never used Instagram. Does that mean my photos are safe (until the next policy change)?

Facebook acquired Instagram. If you don't currently use Instagram to post your photos you are safe..for now :) . People who currently use Instagram have until January 16th to delete their Instagram account and photos...otherwise they are "opting-in" to the new policies.

Wow!

Anytime I think about caving and signing up for FB some heinous FB thing pops up.

Hopefully word gets out and all those user delete their photos and close their accounts.

The way I read it is that it only affects Instagram photos, not all Facebook photos. I have photos on Facebook, but none of them are from Instagram. Am I wrong?

I just read about this (on FB of all places :glare: ) Actually, they don't have the right to sell your photos, but to use any of your content without compesation. Having an account means that you have given them permission to use your photos. This is why we don't use Instgram. Never saw a use for it and now it seems even less useful.

The articles that I've seen specifically say that they can sell them without notifying or compensating people. Here's another: http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/technology/social/instagram-sell-photos/

It's only for "public" Instagram photos, and is fairly standard language for these sites. However, there's been a (hopefully) growing shift back to a recently resurrected Flickr... which makes sense to me: I'd want an app that plays nice with more than just Facebook and its own website. I think Instagram's recent kerfuffle with Twitter will have greater repercussion than this flap.

This.

I read the terms of conditions on instagram itself, and this is what I got from it. My stuff is all private, so from what I'm seeing I don't have to worry about it.

The good thing with pressures like this is someone out there will eventually develop a program which is similar, but without the "sell you down the river" aspect.

I saw this notice as well, and one of my favorite photographers isn't using it anymore. A tremendously talented art community who loves this style is what will save the day.

This is how it always goes, isn't it?

Here's a good article from The Verge:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780158/instagrams-new-terms-of-service-what-they-really-mean

Photos you've marked private or restricted access to won't be used for promotions. Can you imagine the potential lawsuits?

I really don't have a dog in this fight as I have never used either, but hasn't Facebook made everything public a couple of times causing everyone to reset their preferences?

I go into my kids accounts every few months and change everything back to private. Whenever facebook makes changes or puts in new features, those features are automatically set to public until you notice and set them back. I hate for my high schoolers to be completely out of the facebook loop, especially since they have so many old friends back East, but honestly the whole Facebook think infuriates me.

Facebook also has the right to use your photos.

Also, from the CNet article: Update, December 18 at 2:50 p.m. PT: Instagram has backed down, as we report in thisCNET article posted a few minutes ago. Instagram says it will "remove" the language that caused a user revolt over the last day.

For now.

They're not changing their new policy, just clarifying it in light of the controversy:

"Systrom writes that it will "modify specific parts of the terms to make it more clear what will happen with your photos," and that it has no plans to sell them."

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3781860/instagram-on-its-new-tos-its-not-our-intention-to-sell-your-photos