Menu

Not cut out for sell-from-home businesses....

Jess4879

I tried Avon and bought more than I made. I tried Labels and sold 5 packs...in 3 years. I am now trying Epicure and I gathered 2 orders - at Christmas time. Sad, I know. And to add to it? The most popular item - on both orders - to a quantity of 5 units - is out of stock. Nice. I am seriously not cut out for these types of businesses. :lol:

My SIL sells Arbonne and she has parties every week and says she's making money at it. If she can get people to buy overpriced body lotion, one would think I could sell a jar of cinnamon? :wink:

As my husband lovingly pointed out -- at least we got a hefty start up package that we have been enjoying tremendously.

Next year I might try jewlery. HAHAHAHAHA

I know how you feel. I was a Pampered Chef seller for a while, but I hated trying to talk people into having parties. I managed to limp along for about 2 years but only because I was living in Navy housing so we had a big turnover of new people coming it. When it was our turn to move I got out of it because I didn't want to have to start from scratch.

Ahem. ;)

I've been selling Uppercase Living for almost five years. I'm not a great salesperson either -- with this, people seem to come to me. I don't make a lot of money and don't try to build a downline. I just enjoy it and make $100 to $200 a month or less. I don't like to do parties, and usually will only do catalog shows. I still sell enough to stay active, because people like decorating with the vinyl (I also do some businesses signs).

For me, I just chose something I enjoy and moved forward from there, but it makes a difference that I wasn't in it for money and that people come to me. I'm considering getting out of it in the new year because I have so much else going on plus I don't want to focus on selling people things anymore. I don't have a problem with direct sales any more than retails sales with a storefront, I just know I have different things I want to focus on.

I sold Arbonne for awhile. I made GOOD money- my biggest check was over $8,000 for one month; however, that didn't last long, I built too fast and couldn't keep up the volume. The key is to get a real go-getter in your down line, for me it was my sister. This fizzled for us long ago, but I'm a believer that people can make a ton of money with MLM stuff. I just can't stand selling and how obsessive you need to be about it with everybody, all the time.

I am not cut out for selling anything. I could not sell bread to a starving man.

So I'd be ecstatic if I had 2 orders and they were not from famiy who feels sorry for me.

One is from my Mom and I am VERY sure it's more of a pity order, although she does use Epicure...so perhaps I'm wrong. maybe.

I definitely can't live, eat and breathe a company, which is probably my downfall... :) I find that so many people are losing interest in parties - both hosting and attending. I can't even find people who want to commit to a book show! I think I make it too easy to say no. My pressure-sales are lacking...either that or it's because I didn't order the motivational cd....hmmmm....

Guest inoubliable

:grouphug: That sort of home-based business i hard. I'm convinced the only people who make any real money are the people who get other people to sign up "under them". I've tried a whole bunch of companies - the only people I ever knew to make any sort of money were the people up-line.

I did Pampered Chef for a while and I did well enough, but it really felt like work to try to get people to book parties. I understood how it was beneficial for them, but it still felt like I was asking a favor. It was mainly after doing the Pampered Chef gig that I started hating being on the phone. I had far too many phone calls that were meant to be 5 minutes and turned into an hour.

I just cannot try to convince people they need something I know they don't really *need*.

:iagree: Having been in places where I can't afford to buy things, I am awful at asking others to do that even if I know it's their choice.

I used to sell Usborne Books, but I bought more than I brought in. I'm currently a Mary Kay rep, but I do it so I can get the discount for myself. I have a couple of clients: my sister, her MIL, and 2 friends, but I've never done a party nor do I intend to. Unfortunately, I stupidly bought more inventory than I needed in my starter pack, and now I'm stuck with things I won't use. If anyone needs Mary Kay, pm me and I'll sell it to you CHEAP :smilielol5:

My husband's best friend makes a living selling collectibles on ebay. He employs two people to pick and pack so not all the money goes to him. He puts a simple add in local papers and fliers, "cash for collectibles." He pays people bottom dollar for collectibles... figurines, beanie babies, animation cells, comic books, anything collectible. Then he puts them up on ebay. Maybe you could start something small scale like this?

My husband's best friend makes a living selling collectibles on ebay. He employs two people to pick and pack so not all the money goes to him. He puts a simple add in local papers and fliers, "cash for collectibles." He pays people bottom dollar for collectibles... figurines, beanie babies, animation cells, comic books, anything collectible. Then he puts them up on ebay. Maybe you could start something small scale like this?

I tend to get into things, not because i want the business end, but because I use the products and figure I might as well make some money at it...but it never works out that way!

:iagree: Having been in places where I can't afford to buy things, I am awful at asking others to do that even if I know it's their choice.

I used to sell Usborne Books, but I bought more than I brought in. I'm currently a Mary Kay rep, but I do it so I can get the discount for myself. I have a couple of clients: my sister, her MIL, and 2 friends, but I've never done a party nor do I intend to. Unfortunately, I stupidly bought more inventory than I needed in my starter pack, and now I'm stuck with things I won't use. If anyone needs Mary Kay, pm me and I'll sell it to you CHEAP :smilielol5:

My Aunt sells Mary Kay for the same reason and she gave me some samples to try that she got in her starter pack. I really like the eye shadow, but I'm scared to try anything else...next thing you know I'll be selling that too!!!

Honestly, things like require a lot of time, patience, and work to turn into any noticeable money. You have to be willing to keep trying without giving up BUT you also have to be willing to put quite a bit of time in. It's not for the hobbiests. :) You have to be willing to learn or already have a bit of a nonrude, politely pushy work personality.

:grouphug: That sort of home-based business i hard. I'm convinced the only people who make any real money are the people who get other people to sign up "under them". I've tried a whole bunch of companies - the only people I ever knew to make any sort of money were the people up-line.

Well, yeah, that's how direct sales businesses are designed to bring in profit for the rep. If you want to make more money, you don't necessarily want to do more parties yourself. The better idea (if you want a successful business) is to have willing people working for/under you while you do your 2-3 parties a week. I know the top sales persons in our company sell about $4000/month, meaning their income is about $1200/mo. from their own sales. But I also know they're making far more than that, and it's because they have a couple dozen people or more in their downlines.

Honestly, I don't get these party sales at all. Does anyone really want the stuff? I find that the people who are successful are the ones that are able to relentlessly pressure people into buying stuff they don't want. We moved a while back and I seemed to quickly make a new friend at church. I was excited because I didn't have any friends. Except, she was actually just a Mary Kay salesman using church to make new contacts.

Years ago, when we were completely and totally broke, I was pressured into buying a 40 food chopper that I have never used. After that, I said no more parties ever again. And, I've never done one again.

Honestly, things like require a lot of time, patience, and work to turn into any noticeable money. You have to be willing to keep trying without giving up BUT you also have to be willing to put quite a bit of time in. It's not for the hobbiests. :) You have to be willing to learn or already have a bit of a nonrude, politely pushy work personality.

I think that's it, in a nutshell. My personality is along the lines of, "I don't want to bother you, and you probably don't want this anyway, but want to buy xyz?" Not the way to exude confidence and build a business :rolleyes: . Some people are born for this kind of work and excel!

Honestly, I don't get these party sales at all. Does anyone really want the stuff? I find that the people who are successful are the ones that are able to relentlessly pressure people into buying stuff they don't want. We moved a while back and I seemed to quickly make a new friend at church. I was excited because I didn't have any friends. Except, she was actually just a Mary Kay salesman using church to make new contacts.

Years ago, when we were completely and totally broke, I was pressured into buying a 40 food chopper that I have never used. After that, I said no more parties ever again. And, I've never done one again.

Yes. People do like to shop at parties. They're going to be buying home decor (in my case) anyway, so "why not check out my friend's party to see if the company has anything I'd like? I'd love to bless my friend if I'm going to be spending the money anyway." That's one common attitude. Then they can get together with friends, laugh, drink some wine, and shop. At my last party a couple of weeks ago (I do like 2-3 a year, LOL), a gal showed up that I know and she came up to me, looked me in the eye and said, "I never. ever. do these parties. Ever. But Allie showed me your catalog I'm interested." She spent about $100 and is thrilled. She'll never host her own party, but yes, she did want to shop at her friend's party.

I apply no pressure. I don't even really do a presentation anymore at my parties. We just sit down and look at catalogs, plus I have a free take home project they can do with some vinyl (put something on a wine glass or votive holder or cell phone), if they want to. It's all very low-key and truly no pressure. It can be done. People who know me know I sell the vinyl, and if they ask a question, I'll answer it (or if they're commenting on decorating, I'll throw my two cents in), but I don't think anyone would say I go overboard in the least.

The ARE the types of reps you speak of, yes. I admit that. But in talking with the gals who sell UL on our demonstrator's Facebook group, most are not like that. And many, many have tons of interest from the people around them.

I am a Tupperware consultant. But the approach I use is that I provide a service and a product. If what I have to offer fits a need a person has, I am happy to sell to him/her. If it does not fit, then I am not the one for him/her to be buying from. I do some marketing. But I concentrate a lot on what my customers like or want and when an item that fits that comes along, I let them know. I try to be a true consultant, not just a sales person. Thankfully I do it for my personal time, not because I have to bring in cash. This distinction makes a HUGE difference as there is no pressure. I am also watching my personal purchases carefully so I am not spending more than my profit.

I have sold Avon for over 10 years. I do not do it as a main business, though. I have a very small population base to sell to, and most of my customers are friends (because you know... it's a small town and we all know each other anyway), or elderly ladies that were customers of my departed mil, who sold it before me.

I do it mainly for the discount because I do use the products (and I LOVE the accessories, fashion and jewellery). It is a way for me to inexpensively keep my wardrobe fresh, and to keep my lipstick and nail polish addictions affordable.

I can usually sell enough to pay for what I use, and I do NOT go out and sell. I distribute my catalogues a couple of places in town and to my regular customers. That's the extent of my usual effort. I did just have an open house party with a friend who sells handbags and wallets. We did it as a fashion make-over party. Between us, we had over $10K in orders. I made not quite $2K profit on my part of it. She made slightly less than that. For us, that was a huge haul, but ... it is holiday time, so people wanted to spend. I don't think we'd get such a sales high like that any other time than that, but she wants to do it again sometime in spring when the spring fashions are out and in late summer when the fall fashions come out. I'm game for it, as Avon doesn't have quotas I have to meet to stay active. I used my own fashion purchases as displays, and I spent maybe $30 on make-up and samples for the make-over part. I also used my own nail polish to give quick polish-changes to a few ladies.

That said, I only continue with Avon because I actually like the stuff and make good use of my discount. I think it sells okay for me because it isn't expensive, but the products aren't tinker-toy crap just because it's cheap. My only complaint is that I have fussy skin and can't use any of the foundations and face creams. Other people seem to like them a lot, though. At any rate, I wouldn't recommend that someone sell anything they don't really like and use. It's easier to sell something you like and almost impossible to fake enough convincing enthusiasm for something you don't like.

I am not cut out for selling anything. I could not sell bread to a starving man.

So I'd be ecstatic if I had 2 orders and they were not from famiy who feels sorry for me.

What she said.

I don't know anybody, except a few people. And I don't want to bother acquaintances to spend money they might not have on things they probably don't need or want because I have a home-based business. Bleh.

Ahem. ;)

I've been selling Uppercase Living for almost five years. I'm not a great salesperson either -- with this, people seem to come to me. I don't make a lot of money and don't try to build a downline. I just enjoy it and make $100 to $200 a month or less. I don't like to do parties, and usually will only do catalog shows. I still sell enough to stay active, because people like decorating with the vinyl (I also do some businesses signs).

For me, I just chose something I enjoy and moved forward from there, but it makes a difference that I wasn't in it for money and that people come to me. I'm considering getting out of it in the new year because I have so much else going on plus I don't want to focus on selling people things anymore. I don't have a problem with direct sales any more than retails sales with a storefront, I just know I have different things I want to focus on.

These products are lovely. I can see why people find you!

What she said.

I don't know anybody, except a few people. And I don't want to bother acquaintances to spend money they might not have on things they probably don't need or want because I have a home-based business. Bleh.

I can't bother people to buy either. If I know they use it, I will pass along a catalogue, but I just can't push someone to buy! I know a lot of people who lost relationships because of home-based businesses and I don't want to be in that boat. I figure if they know I sell it, when they want it they will come to me.

When ds was little, I sold Pampered Chef for awhile. I really like and use a lot of the products, and doing the shows was fun - like having my own cooking show. :-) However, I was terrible at calling people and getting them to book a show. And as hard as I tried to coach the hostesses, I was frustrated that no matter what I did, I might show up and do all that work for three people. The shows were work, too; that's a lot of product to haul into someone's house, set up, cook food, clean up, then bring everything home and wash up.

Party lite was a bust for me. Bad Michigan economy at the time and the stuff just cost too stinking much. Besides didn't really know anyone but family. Hmmm wonder if I could sell something now? Can't do scency, Mary Kay, Avon or Tupperware those are all taken around here. Need something that will appeal to older and younger people and seasonal residents.

I know several woman who do well selling Pink Papaya, Pampered Chef, and certain other things but selling is not my thing. At all. I might buy if I like the product. I adore Pampered Chef, but usually I find something that works as well(or nearly) for less money so...

I've been to several low pressure parties lately, like what Milovany described and they were fun. I didn't buy, but no one seemed to mind.

i sold Avon for several years, and I started making real money at it once I started signing people up under me. The problem was it was a lot of work. Work to keep my customers coming back and work to help those under me. Ds was a preschooler at the time, and the whole reason I started selling it was to be able to spend time with him. Instead I was working most of the day, even when we were at home. I eventually decided it wasn't worth it because it wasn't giving enough time with my family. And if I cut back, the money wouldn't be worth it.

He used to like to "do computer writing" which just meant typing stuff on a word processing program. The first word he ever typed on the computer was Avon. I was impressed until I found out how he knew the word. Duh. There were always Avon boxes piled up in our computer room. He had been seeing them ever since he could remember. :rofl:

i sold Avon for several years, and I started making real money at it once I started signing people up under me. The problem was it was a lot of work. Work to keep my customers coming back and work to help those under me. Ds was a preschooler at the time, and the whole reason I started selling it was to be able to spend time with him. Instead I was working most of the day, even when we were at home. I eventually decided it wasn't worth it because it wasn't giving enough time with my family. And if I cut back, the money wouldn't be worth it.

He used to like to "do computer writing" which just meant typing stuff on a word processing program. The first word he ever typed on the computer was Avon. I was impressed until I found out how he knew the word. Duh. There were always Avon boxes piled up in our computer room. He had been seeing them ever since he could remember. :rofl:

:laugh: @ ds typing Avon. That's cute.