Menu

Are these door knobs trendy or cheap looking?

Those are the same as in the house we are buying that is mostly brand new. I don't like them, but could live with it if I disnt know both the cat and dog would be able to easily open them.

I don't want the cat to be able open the door at all hours of the night!

They aren't my favorite style of door knob (and I especially don't think I would like something super shiny), but I don't think they scream cheap or anything. I mostly don't like them because my cat can open them.

Congratulations on the new house! :party:

Well, I am glad they don't scream cheap. We have put so much money into the "core" of the house, things that we can't/don't want to change. I knew that we'd be changing faucets and painting and such; I just wasn't expecting that. The lines just seem so severe, and I agree that they look very modern/contemporary, which we are not. That's why I wasn't sure if it was some new trend. Thanks for the input...

Um.. I would vote "builder standard", too. But they scream "flush" to me.

(I am very fortunate to have a house with "builder standard" from the 19th century, so I may not be up on doorknob trends)

lol. yes, this, too.

Honestly, when we were looking at doorknobs we thought those looked like they belong in an office, not a home. We settled on brushed nickle knobs. Door knobs are expensive, can they be removed and give you an allowance if you don't care for them?

Sigh. Any store recommendations on where to find them well-priced? The ones on Craigslist aren't much better. No switching them via the builder at this point. I don't know why we thought they'd be different. We have been SO thorough on everything, and this really slipped through.

What you might also try is spray painting them. We spray painted several knobs in our house and they came out great:

We used this:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000C0175U

They have various metallic finishes from that same brand.

We just bought that exact stuff for some curtain rods we're doing...I'll ask my husband what he thinks after he's seen them, but that's a great idea.

He came home last night and I seriously cried because we have toilet handles for door handles. He laughed and said he will make it better.

I put them on our doors leading to our backyard and garage, but in brushed nickel. I wanted easy access when coming/going when grilling outside or doing laundry (garage). The dog did open the door a couple of times, but we just learned to keep it locked. My sister did some remodeling on her house and they guy put them on all her interior doors. I don't like hers. Seems weird. You can replace them for about $15-$20 each. Maybe replace one at a time, or save so much each month and then in a year, you could replace them all at once?

They're accessible. I wish we had them on every door! It sounds like the builder gave some thought to making a home you could age in.

I'm going to use that style when we build. In 20 years when I don't have use of my hands due to the arthritis, I can open a door with my elbow with those style knobs.

I have used the metal spray paint too. The latest was on a metal table stand that was a hideous yellow. I used the wrought ironspray and it turned out wonderful and looks great next to my actual wrought iron plant stands.

I wouldn't want that texture on a doorknob because it would get yucky, but wouldn't hesitate to use another finish in a pinch.

We currently live in a 100 year old house, I'm really looking forward to doors that actually close and latch! And several plugs in each room, and more than one overhead light in each space!

We had them in brushed nickel all through our house (custom home, built @1996) and I hated them when my kids were tiny because they were so easy to open. Also, they are exactly the right height that I frequently get my belt loops hung up on them! We've replaced several over the years. A lot of the closets had a lever on one side and a knob on the inside so we just flipped them.

I'm so sorry for saying that! I doubt it looks quite like that on the door. Just in the picture it's sort of just floating there. Hehe. You should have seen some of the wackiness in our house when we bought it. There were even wall paper murals.

Don't worry, I am exhausted and stressed. The bank is totally stressing me out. Tears were bound to come whether it was the door handles or the speck of dirt on the carpet, or the wind blowing the wrong way. :)

They look like something you use to flush a toilet.

I know, I'm horrid.

I agree that door knobs are very expensive!

I had the same thought!

I think they are fine though. I doubt the doors look like toilets LOL

I don't think I've noticed knobs much. We have these rubbed bronze I think they are called things. I told dh I thought they were ugly and then I discovered how much they cost. Holy cow!

Well, my dh built our own home 9 years ago and he still managed to sneak *SHINY BRASS KNOBS* :bored: and hinges on all the doors. Blerch. I didn't want brass knobs, but I was pregnant and wasn't paying attention. I can't stomach changing them all out; it would be over a thousand bucks. I just try to ignore them.

You know, we NEVER noticed anyone's flooring until we built this house. Now, we walk in and whisper - "their tile is laid straight...or their tile is small...." NEVER noticed it before, lol. It will be fine. I described them to my mom this morning as airplane wings. :p