Menu

Can you explain to me why stepping on a step for exercise

Jean in Newcastle

The only access to my house is up 107 steps! You should see people who come to visit me -- they cannot talk for at least 2 minutes. Then, they typically ask for a glass of water. :)

I lived here while pregnant with both of my kids, and also while on crutches for 9 months with a 2 and 5 year old. :huh: Carrying up the groceries is the real difficulty.

Oh, but you should see the view!

Ruth in NZ

When I was in the Navy, I was a chain smoker. I could not run a mile and a half in under 15 minutes, tough I was we'll within the weight guidelines. The Navy put me in a step aerobics class. After 3 months, I killed the 1.5 mile run in 12 minutes. Step aerobics works. It's a bit painful at first, but it works.

The only access to my house is up 107 steps! You should see people who come to visit me -- they cannot talk for at least 2 minutes. Then, they typically ask for a glass of water. :)

I lived here while pregnant with both of my kids, and also while on crutches for 9 months with a 2 and 5 year old. :huh: Carrying up the groceries is the real difficulty.

Ruth in NZ

I think I'll pass :-)

Actually, I'd probably pass out. Around step 50.

Oh yes. Steps are HARD. You are using the biggest muscles in your body to do it, but wow--is the payoff huge. If you can build those muscles, you will have some serious calorie burn going on! lol.

In my weight lifting program I started out just stepping up on the first step of my staircase and then back down several times on each leg. I slowly increased the weight of the dumbbells I was holding up to nearly 20 pounds in each hand. I would sweat, get out of breath, my heart would pound. Then I moved to stepping up on a stepping stool and of course had to decrease the number of times I could do it--just adding that little bit of height was tough. But I love the energy and metabolism boost I get from having strong muscles in my legs and buttocks. But woweee--is it painful to do! :scared:

Good point about lifting your body weight with one muscle group - also kickboxing works a variety of muscle groups at different times, so no one group is working the whole time.

And I agree - I can do a 45 minute kickboxing class, but stepping kills me!

Step is a great workout but anytime you change your form of exercise it is going to be difficult because our bodies adapt to what we do. Since you exercise regularly and you are fit I'm sure you will adapt pretty quickly to step. Stick with it and you might find you love it!

I totally thought when we moved into an apartment with stairs that I'd be in better shape, after all, I do go up and down 20 times a day (at least when I counted.) But sadly, it doesn't work the same as step class. Guess I will have to use the bottom step and really go at it for an hour to do any good. Finding the hour is a whole 'nother matter.

Since you exercise regularly and you are fit

This is highly debatable. I'm 64 pounds overweight. My kickboxing is not graceful and my kicks are well-aimed for your shins! But I'm working hard and I am building muscle. Our kickboxing was cancelled for the month so 4 of us got together and put together our own "Do it Yourself" Kickboxing Bootcamp. Part of it was step, part was kickboxing and part was circuit training. I think I need a wheelchair this morning. . . :laugh:

Ruth in NZ

I WILL get to NZ one of these days (I will I will I will I will). I've been wanting to go since 1992 and I think I've been quite patient. :lol: We are huge sailors, and were very involved with the America's Cup in 1992 (San Diego), and I raced with a lot of Kiwis. Since then, I've been dying to go. We always joke that NZ is the perfect place for us - the only sports we like are sailboat racing & rugby (well, and tennis). We're misfits here but would fit right in down there!

And when I get there, I want to see your view. :D

Jean, I'm not on the boards that much anymore but I think I remember you saying before you had fibromyalgia? I have it and I know for me any sort of exercise that concentrates on one muscle area and involves repetitive motion d**n near kills me. I can keep up in kickboxing classes, zumba classes, bollyfit classes, but if any of them start to focus on a certain muscle group for more than 1 minute I have to walk in place until they are done.

Not sure if it's do to the fibro or something else, but sometimes it's just the way your body responds. Now if it's just an endurance thing, then just keeping at it will increase your ability. GL!

I love step aerobics. I know they aren't 'cool' anymore and a lot of places have dropped it, but they were the best thing for me. I have my own step now but I haven't done anything with it. Since New Year's is coming up and everyone around me is making their resolutions, I might make mine to use the step more.

I love step aerobics. I know they aren't 'cool' anymore and a lot of places have dropped it, but they were the best thing for me. I have my own step now but I haven't done anything with it. Since New Year's is coming up and everyone around me is making their resolutions, I might make mine to use the step more.

You should check out BodyStep, it is very popular around here. The newest releases (routines) are very athletic, very different than the 80s style step class. Think lots of plyometrics, it is a very powerful class.

I have very pitiful knees. Is that bad for trying step aerobics?

I don't think it is. The class I go to has a lot of plyometric type moves but there are always modifications for those who need them. I guess the only way to find out how it will affect you is to give it a good try.

I have very pitiful knees. Is that bad for trying step aerobics?

I understand, over the years of keeping an ear to the ground on this issue, that stepping can be low-impact and easy on the knees. You don't want to place the step so high that your leg bends at more than a 90-degree angle, and you also don't want to be bouncy on it: hit with the heel first going up, and the heel first going down.

I have an old knee injury which can be aggravated by running but never by the step. That said, I use a totally old-school workout that is no-frills, which means very little twisting and torquing. I have noticed that in the movements that involve stepping down on either side of my step (you stand on it so that you are facing one of the short ends, and step down to the side) my knee feels some strain, but hasn't been sore or been injured.

ps -- thanks for this thread! it's been hard for me fit the step in, hearing how kick-tushie it is inspires me ...

I totally thought when we moved into an apartment with stairs that I'd be in better shape, after all, I do go up and down 20 times a day (at least when I counted.) But sadly, it doesn't work the same as step class. Guess I will have to use the bottom step and really go at it for an hour to do any good. Finding the hour is a whole 'nother matter.

Doesn't have to be the bottom step. When DD was a newborn she would only fall sleep in the moby wrap while going up an down the stairs. Lemme tell ya...I was in good shape fast. Also when I had to carry the twins (30+ lbs each by the time they walked) up and down the stairs. At the same time.

So either run up and down the stairs for half an hour, or carry about 60lbs of weight while you do it. You'll get in shape. Or pass out. Either one of those seemed like a possibility at the time.

Jean, I'm not on the boards that much anymore but I think I remember you saying before you had fibromyalgia? I have it and I know for me any sort of exercise that concentrates on one muscle area and involves repetitive motion d**n near kills me. I can keep up in kickboxing classes, zumba classes, bollyfit classes, but if any of them start to focus on a certain muscle group for more than 1 minute I have to walk in place until they are done.

Not sure if it's do to the fibro or something else, but sometimes it's just the way your body responds. Now if it's just an endurance thing, then just keeping at it will increase your ability. GL!

Yes, I have fibro and I had the same experience with repetitive motion. I wouldn't join a class that was specifically step but last night we fit it in with more fluid exercise.

Doesn't have to be the bottom step. When DD was a newborn she would only fall sleep in the moby wrap while going up an down the stairs. Lemme tell ya...I was in good shape fast. Also when I had to carry the twins (30+ lbs each by the time they walked) up and down the stairs. At the same time.

So either run up and down the stairs for half an hour, or carry about 60lbs of weight while you do it. You'll get in shape. Or pass out. Either one of those seemed like a possibility at the time.

LOL! Passing out sounds more likely.