Menu

St. Nicholas Day gift

ChrisB

We usually get one DVD for all of the kids as a St. Nicholas Day gift. Most of the time we try to get a Christmas related one, but occasionally it is more educational. A few of the DVDs have been Polar Express, Veggie Tales St. Nick, Schoolhouse Rock, etc. This year we are having a hard time deciding on the gift. What are your favorites? Our kids are 8 and younger.

I've got an 8 yo. She gets a Christmas book, some sort of candy usually chocolate coins but this year she's been commenting on how much she likes Cherry Mash so that's what I'm getting her (I've never seen her consume one - who's been sneaking my kid strange old people candy?!?!), a little toy like Schleich or a Christmas themed Playmobil, and usually a Christmas puzzle. This is the first year I couldn't find a Christmas themed puzzle though so she's not gettiing that.

We usually get one DVD for all of the kids as a St. Nicholas Day gift. Most of the time we try to get a Christmas related one, but occasionally it is more educational. A few of the DVDs have been Polar Express, Veggie Tales St. Nick, Schoolhouse Rock, etc. This year we are having a hard time deciding on the gift. What are your favorites? Our kids are 8 and younger.

The Snowman has always been a favorite of ours. There are lots of reviews over at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Raymond-Briggs-Snowman-Peter-Auty/dp/B000HIVIOW

It is calm and lovely, just set to music. There is some santa content and in the end the snowman melts away...

Just found the full thing on youtube, though the intro is different than the one we own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCEvL_hdN2A

My dc are older. From Oma & Opa, the dc usually get a tray of chocolates, marzipan, speculoos cookies, & clementines. (Fortunately they share w/ dh & I! ;) and :drool5: )

That's pretty much it here.

For younger kids, you might want to check out Demi's book about St. Nicholas.

And, not for kids, but if you haven't heard David Sedaris' description of St. Nicholas celebrations in the Netherlands, you might enjoy it.... :laugh:

My dc are older. From Oma & Opa, the dc usually get a tray of chocolates, marzipan, speculoos cookies, & clementines. (Fortunately they share w/ dh & I! ;) and :drool5: )

That's pretty much it here.

For younger kids, you might want to check out Demi's book about St. Nicholas.

And, not for kids, but if you haven't heard David Sedaris' description of St. Nicholas celebrations in the Netherlands, you might enjoy it.... :laugh:

Thanks!! lol!

The Snowman has always been a favorite of ours. There are lots of reviews over at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B000HIVIOW

It is calm and lovely, just set to music. There is some santa content and in the end the snowman melts away...

Just found the full thing on youtube, though the intro is different than the one we own:

Thanks! I'll have to watch the video. It looks sweet.

We usually do a little chocolate too...who wouldn't love that!?! The kids always look forward to putting their shoe outside the door, so it's fun giving them something small and building a family tradition around St. Nick's Day!! Thank you everyone for sharing!

We're doing chocolate coins, a clementine orange and a ticket to go see the one-act opera "Amahl and the Night Visitors." This year will be harder (to wait!) because my husband now sleeps until 9 a.m. or a little bit later because he works until after midnight.

We usually do chocolate coins and last year we also gave each of them one of those 1 dollar coins. I'm not sure what exactly we are doing this year yet but I already have the chocolate coins up in the cupboard. We give the kids a new Christmas movie on another night of Advent.

The kids always look forward to putting their shoe outside the door, so it's fun giving them something small and building a family tradition around St. Nick's Day!!

For many years, dd attended an after-school class for learning Dutch. They always had the kids put their shoes out in the hall on whatever class day was close to St. N's day & then zwarte piets would run through & fill the shoes.

The gross & funny things were...

1. that the shoes were the ones these kids had been wearing all day, so they were often dirty & sweaty.

2. that the shoes were filled w/ tiny candies & cookies, none of which were wrapped.

3. that the kids ate all the treats w/ glee! http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/ack2.gif http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/lol.gif (Of course, I have to admit that dd often shared & I've eaten some of those little cookies, come to think of it... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/leaving.gif )

(In addition to sweets, I guess they also got better immune systems. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif Anyway, I still laugh when I think about it. Your mention of filling shoes made me think of it & I got the giggles this morning remembering it....)

For many years, dd attended an after-school class for learning Dutch. They always had the kids put their shoes out in the hall on whatever class day was close to St. N's day & then zwarte piets would run through & fill the shoes.

The gross & funny things were...

1. that the shoes were the ones these kids had been wearing all day, so they were often dirty & sweaty.

2. that the shoes were filled w/ tiny candies & cookies, none of which were wrapped.

3. that the kids ate all the treats w/ glee! :ack2: :lol: (Of course, I have to admit that dd often shared & I've eaten some of those little cookies, come to think of it... :leaving: )

(In addition to sweets, I guess they also got better immune systems. ;) Anyway, I still laugh when I think about it. Your mention of filling shoes made me think of it & I got the giggles this morning remembering it....)

:ack2: I promise they put out their Sunday shoes (so not worn much) and the candies are packaged. LOL!! This gives me the giggles too just imagining it!

We always do chocolate coins in gold foil in a sock.

I'm adding books this year. I bought a lot of religious children's books for Christmas but since I now know they are going to be getting a bunch of books from other people I'm going to give them each one of them tomorrow instead.