Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a hurry, so here's it quickly:

Tripped coming out of the confessional, loudly cursing as I did so. As I started to ask if I needed to come back in (probably only a word or two uttered) from in the confesional the priest said from behind the door that I was good to go! :o :laugh:

(Wish I had the time to link to the original story -- it was in the old social group.)

Hey, Light to the Nations users - question please :)

Does the teacher's book have any interesting projects or extension activities? The site doesn't have any samples of it :(

Since Aimee's question got buried -- and I have a couple of my own to ask -- I just started a thread on the General Education forum. It's meant to stand in for the "Catholic Homeschooling" social group that we had on the old boards. So this would be for any topics that are directly related to home education in the context of our faith.

Catholic curriculum & educational philosophy "social group"

Not sure if this is allowed, but I guess we'll find out. :)

Cheat sheets are also totally fine. You can write a list of the things you'd like to confess and also write down what you are supposed to say when, including the Act of Contrition.

Speaking of cheat sheets, there is an app for that. Mea Culpa

I haven;t actually used it for confession yet, but I'm considering it.

Tripped coming out of the confessional, loudly cursing as I did so. As I started to ask if I needed to come back in (probably only a word or two uttered) from in the confesional the priest said from behind the door that I was good to go! :o :laugh:

(Wish I had the time to link to the original story -- it was in the old social group.)

Hahahahaha! That's hilarious!

How serious is that app? Playing Dungeon and dragons is listed as a sin!

And in vitro fertilization is a mortal sin? (It may be and I just didn't know)

I don't know about D&D. I suppose for some people it could be. And I'm pretty sure IVF has been deeply frowned upon by the church since it became reality.

Well, dearest Catholic ladies, I may be too careful and reserved to post this later, but I will be bold and post it now: Thank God for our local Catholic hospital! (crying) I've just had a miscarriage there, and the remains will be respectfully buried by them along with other lost little ones. There will be a memorial and a garden we can visit. Thank you, thank you for holding on to respect for life-- God's creation-- even when the world tells us such things are not important. Even if you are thought old fashioned or peculiar by the world, (not by me) you have held onto the essence of our faith. Hold on to this, never let go.

I prefer face to face confession, which I think is unusual. My dh hates face to face and will usually go when he can be anonymous.

I like face to face because then it can become more spiritual counseling if the priest knows who he's dealing with. Plus, knowing you will have to look somebody in the eye and confess a sin is a powerful deterrent!

Once we had a guest priest and I took advantage of it and made an appointment with him for a general confession. I think he thought I was verging on scrupolosity and practically kicked me out, telling me I'd been absolved and to not think of those sins anymore. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

Well, dearest Catholic ladies, I may be too careful and reserved to post this later, but I will be bold and post it now: Thank God for our local Catholic hospital! (crying) I've just had a miscarriage there, and the remains will be respectfully buried by them along with other lost little ones. There will be a memorial and a garden we can visit. Thank you, thank you for holding on to respect for life-- God's creation-- even when the world tells us such things are not important. Even if you are thought old fashioned or peculiar by the world, (not by me) you have held onto the essence of faith. Hold on to this, never let go.

I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through. :crying:

Well, dearest Catholic ladies, I may be too careful and reserved to post this later, but I will be bold and post it now: Thank God for our local Catholic hospital! (crying) I've just had a miscarriage there, and the remains will be respectfully buried by them along with other lost little ones. There will be a memorial and a garden we can visit. Thank you, thank you for holding on to respect for life-- God's creation-- even when the world tells us such things are not important. Even if you are thought old fashioned or peculiar by the world, (not by me) you have held onto the essence of faith. Hold on to this, never let go.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh, Little Nyssa, I am so sorry for your loss! I am glad, though, that your baby will be given a burial and the respect that any person deserves. I am glad you have a place you can visit. {{{{HUGS}}}

hugs and love to you and your little one, who now waits for you with the Father.

That's hilarious!

Robin

Well, dearest Catholic ladies, I may be too careful and reserved to post this later, but I will be bold and post it now: Thank God for our local Catholic hospital! (crying) I've just had a miscarriage there, and the remains will be respectfully buried by them along with other lost little ones. There will be a memorial and a garden we can visit. Thank you, thank you for holding on to respect for life-- God's creation-- even when the world tells us such things are not important. Even if you are thought old fashioned or peculiar by the world, (not by me) you have held onto the essence of our faith. Hold on to this, never let go.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you. I've had 5 losses and I know how hard they are to endure. What a blessing that your baby was treated so respectfully.

Robin

As a point of terminology -- just as we don't worship Mary, we don't adore her, either. (Adoration is for God alone.) You might hear some Catholics saying otherwise, but they're either misinformed or maybe just being careless in their use of language. It happens. :cool:

The special honor, love, trust, veneration we give to Mary is an extension of the honor we give to other created things, but in the most pure and intense form. :001_wub:

The worship of God is in a whole different category. This Catholic Encyclopedia entry has a technical description.

As for how to make Mary part of our lives -- the natural way would be to ask her, simply, as a child would, to show us how. She is very understanding and gentle, and would never want to barge in and put someone off. Not that it can't be helpful to study her theological and scriptural significance and so on, but she's a person, and personal relationships are built on experience.

Or as my grandfather used to put it: If you want to be close to Jesus, you ought to be nice to his mama! LOL!

I actually have never heard anyone say they adored Mary or the term Marian adoration. Whenever anyone I know says it, it means praying before the Blessed Sacrament, as in, "Are you going to Adoration?"

I'm so sorry to hear the pain you are experiencing. :grouphug:

What a wonderful way to memorialize your dear little one.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug: :crying:

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1300814.htm

Under the current rules, which remain in effect, upon the vacancy of the papacy, cardinals in Rome "must wait 15 full days for those who are absent" before they can enter into a conclave and begin the process of electing a new pope.

However, Pope Benedict inserted an additional provision that grants the College of Cardinals "the faculty to move up the start of the conclave if all the cardinal-electors are present," as well as giving them the ability "to delay, if there are serious reasons, the beginning of the election for a few more days."

However, the conclave still must begin no more than 20 days after the start of the "sede vacante."

Go, Cardinals, go!

Btw, I am reading a really interesting book that just came out called The Vatican Diaries by John Thavis. I got it on my kindle. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and finding it a wonderful read. He is a good writer who is respectful but tells it like it is. Really fascinating stuff.

Right now I am watching EWTN's mass from the Basilica - in thanksgiving and for the election of the new pope. Very lovely. I think I got over my sadness and now I am just going to wait patiently to see who the new pope will be!

Feeling a bit lost right now. I didn't expect the closing of the doors to hit so hard.

We watched this morning, starting with the wait for him to emerge from the Apostolic Palace to the arrival at Castel Gandolfo. His blessing to the people in the square was so touching. But nothing really hit until the closing of the gate. It still brings a bit of a tear to my eye thinking about it. I think it was the finality of it all that the gates represented.

I'm thankful that the conclave was moved up. Limbo is unsettling.

I am mourning the loss, and I am at zero tolerance for Catholic bashing right now.

I know the Holy Spirit is at work, and we will soon have a new Pope. But I will feel more settled when we see that white smoke.

I agree with both of you. I don't like this feeling of limbo and feel much more settled as well when we see that white smoke. I guess the only upside is we don't have to wait the customary 15 days for the conclave to begin.

May I ask a question about fasting during Lent in the Catholic Church? I am a Protestant, but interested in learning about other traditions.

One question is about the purpose of the fasting. What is your understanding of what it accomplishes?

I know that Fridays are fast days from meat (correct? or is there more to it? ) Are there other fast days before Holy Week?

I have a question, too, about the Friday fasts from meat. What is your understanding of why fish is allowed? in keeping with the fast to have a dinner of delicious & expensive scallops or other fish? There isn't any seafood at all where I am that is not at least double the price of the vegetarian fare or the poultry we normally eat, so it seems more like "treat night" to me. How do you view that? I get why eggs are okay and meat is not, but have always wondered about the fish. (When I was a child, I didn't like fish, but I LOVED beef, so it made sense to me then! But now, I LOVE seafood!)

Hi Laurie4b! Fasting is an act of penance and also a way of learning to detach oneself from, well, the worldly things we get attached to! In Lent people tend to give up stuff, like candy or facebook or coffee, etc. The abstinence from meat is a very old tradition. I read it about it just a couple years ago and now for the life of me I can't quite remember its significance But I do vaguely think that fish was seen as a poor man's food. People caught cod and salted and dried it and that got them through the winter. Meat was for the rich, so to deliberately not eat meat on Friday was in a way to renounce worldly things. Friday is significant because Good Friday is the day Jesus died. There is a difference between fasting and abstinence. There are two fast days in the Roman Catholic rite (other rites are stricter). These are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. On those days you can only eat enough food to add up to one moderate meal. Or is that right? Someone correct me on that. I never seem to get it straight so that's how I do it! Gee, I am such a good Catholic, LOL. But really they keep modifying and it has gotten more and more complicated!

I agree with you about the fish thing. My dh and I love seafood and fish so it really isn't a hardship. For my kids, that's another story. But when I cook the fish in Lent, I make it very plain. I don't do anything rich with it. Broiled cod with a little olive oil and there you have it. And you can go completely meatless. The Church encourages us to eat very simply, like rice and beans and put the money saved into a 'rice bowl' to give to the poor.

There are three things one is supposed to focus on to prepare oneself for coming of Easter: prayer, almsgiving and fasting. A very popular prayer, especially on Fridays is Stations of the Cross. This is where you relive the whole passion of Christ. It is very moving.

Hi Laurie4b! Fasting is an act of penance and also a way of learning to detach oneself from, well, the worldly things we get attached to! In Lent people tend to give up stuff, like candy or facebook or coffee, etc. The abstinence from meat is a very old tradition. I read it about it just a couple years ago and now for the life of me I can't quite remember its significance But I do vaguely think that fish was seen as a poor man's food. People caught cod and salted and dried it and that got them through the winter. Meat was for the rich, so to deliberately not eat meat on Friday was in a way to renounce worldly things. Friday is significant because Good Friday is the day Jesus died. There is a difference between fasting and abstinence. There are two fast days in the Roman Catholic rite (other rites are stricter). These are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. On those days you can only eat enough food to add up to one moderate meal. Or is that right? Someone correct me on that. I never seem to get it straight so that's how I do it! Gee, I am such a good Catholic, LOL. But really they keep modifying and it has gotten more and more complicated!

I agree with you about the fish thing. My dh and I love seafood and fish so it really isn't a hardship. For my kids, that's another story. But when I cook the fish in Lent, I make it very plain. I don't do anything rich with it. Broiled cod with a little olive oil and there you have it. And you can go completely meatless. The Church encourages us to eat very simply, like rice and beans and put the money saved into a 'rice bowl' to give to the poor.

There are three things one is supposed to focus on to prepare oneself for coming of Easter: prayer, almsgiving and fasting. A very popular prayer, especially on Fridays is Stations of the Cross. This is where you relive the whole passion of Christ. It is very moving.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I wondered if the fish thing was just that--what used to be poor man's food is now for the well-to-do. I didn't know the difference between fasting and abstinence either. I didn't know there were only two days of abstinence.

We have, in our nondenominational church, set up stations of the cross with prayers. When I've googled before, it looks like there are a bunch of different options. I liked it when we had it as a help for meditation. Is there a standard set of Station of the Cross prayers that RC's use?

Laurie4b there are many versions of station of the cross prayers. Some can be found here and here.

There used to be more fasting and abstaining days. This page has a table of which are still required and which have been abolished. There are some traditional Catholics who still follow the old rules. Nothing wrong with that. I think of it as the requirement is the bare minimum. Everything else is gravy.

Actually, abstinence refers to not eating meat. Fasting refers to reducing one's overall food intake (which includes not eating meat!). So there are two days of fasting (Ash Wed. and Good Fri) but every Friday in lent is a day of abstinence. Some people observe this all year round. When I was growing up we would never eat meat on Fridays. Here's a good blog post about the difference and what it means on a deeper theological level. http://newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/2011/03/real-difference-between-fasting-and.html

The 14 stations are always the same but you can have varying prayers to go with each station. In fact when the Pope says the Stations of the Cross in Rome at the Colosseum each year, he writes his own prayers into each station to make them pertinent to current issues. So it is a prayerful combination of very traditional as well as the contemporary. Here is a link to it from last year: http://www.catholictv.com/Good-Friday-Way-of-the-Cross.aspx