Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

I am staying offline more often for Lent, but I wanted to pop in here and say thanks for directing me to this thread and the eventual social group. I am in the midst of exploring things right now, but I am a Cradle Catholic and cultural Italian Catholic that grew up in the 1980s happy lovey dovey CCD. Consequently, I feel as though I actually didn't learn too much other than a few basics. I am a first generation American on my father's side, so we did do a lot of things that were things my family apparently did in Italy that were intrinsically Catholic. My grandmother and father really didn't go to Mass much, but they followed everything else and said the Rosary. It's kind of weird in retrospect. My husband was raised without religion in his life other than basic Christianity. His mom went to Catholic schools but didn't practice, his dad went to vacation bible school randomly without a particular attachment to religion.

You can see where I have some struggles going on here! I am looking forward to exploring the thread so it might help my thoughts.

Welcome.

It sounds like you had the same CCD experience quite a few of us from the 70s/80s did. We love helping each other out. Feel free to post.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am staying offline more often for Lent, but I wanted to pop in here and say thanks for directing me to this thread and the eventual social group. I am in the midst of exploring things right now, but I am a Cradle Catholic and cultural Italian Catholic that grew up in the 1980s happy lovey dovey CCD. Consequently, I feel as though I actually didn't learn too much other than a few basics. I am a first generation American on my father's side, so we did do a lot of things that were things my family apparently did in Italy that were intrinsically Catholic. My grandmother and father really didn't go to Mass much, but they followed everything else and said the Rosary. It's kind of weird in retrospect. My husband was raised without religion in his life other than basic Christianity. His mom went to Catholic schools but didn't practice, his dad went to vacation bible school randomly without a particular attachment to religion.

You can see where I have some struggles going on here! I am looking forward to exploring the thread so it might help my thoughts.

I'm a revert myself, my husband is a convert. I think there is no better time than Lent to learn more about the Faith! Welcome!

Welcome!

I'm a revert, my Dh is cradle/Italian.

Welcome--your story is very similar to mine. I'm a "revert" and my husband is a convert--he was basically "nothing" growing up but had been dabbling in Quakerism when he converted.

I am also a Cradle Catholic exploring coming back. I find it interesting that you described CCD as "happy lovey dovey" because that's how I remember it as well. I don't think I really learned much of anything about what the Church actually believes. I'm discovering that now.

Elise in NC

Do Catholic Churches have something equivalent to Sunday School at Protestant churches?

Here is a link to a post I made a while ago: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/412456-how-to-combine-faiths-in-one-nuclear-family-catholicprotestant/

I'm still struggling. I contacted the director of Faith Formation to find out what would be available for my younger two kids. Currently all of my children are still very involved at the AG church and I'm having a hard time even considering taking them away from it. Our AG church is wonderful about educating the children about Christianity and making it interesting, challenging, and fun. I'm hoping to hear something back today from them.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

The class I remember growing up was on a Saturday, interestingly most of the kids from my class in public school were also there. Nuns were teaching the class, and though I couldnt wait til Saturday to go to church school, the nuns were strict and the work was hard...I remember being reprimanded for not finishing assignments. My mom still has the class graduation picture, I was 8. It is what I learned there that has kept me close to God. Sad part is, when I was nine we moved away and my parents never went back to church. I went back when I was 18, but what I had known growing up had all changed. It was very discouraging, still is. If it had not changed, I would still be RC. Its the one big pet peeve I have about the protestant churches...CHANGE. It is one thing our RC friends can commiserate with me, one of them grew up Old Catholic - a separate group since Vatican I.

Do Catholic Churches have something equivalent to Sunday School at Protestant churches?

Here is a link to a post I made a while ago: http://forums.welltr...olicprotestant/

I'm still struggling. I contacted the director of Faith Formation to find out what would be available for my younger two kids. Currently all of my children are still very involved at the AG church and I'm having a hard time even considering taking them away from it. Our AG church is wonderful about educating the children about Christianity and making it interesting, challenging, and fun. I'm hoping to hear something back today from them.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

*Some* Catholic churches have 'Sunday School' (CCD) before or after Mass, but never during. That is for families to worship together.

My children converted with me this past Easter Vigil and, though it was difficult, they've fallen more in love with their faith.

So, I would 'reframe' your potential problem, and then make some transitional choices for them. We'll go Sunday morning to the AG while we attend Saturday Vigil Mass at the RCC. THat way, they can ease over, and, you may find that they like it more, but for different reasons.

My children *love* the liturgy. I mean, they love it. And we were non denom, multi million dollar stage/lights/concerts/fun. There is something transcendently beautiful that speaks to children at the Mass. And, frankly, I think they know it more than we, as adults do. They have a deep sense of the sacred.

When my kids went with their grandmother to a local AG a few months ago, they were very disappointed and ...left with a lurching feeling, they wanted to be dropped off home early and requested that we attend the Sunday evening services ..kind of like a palate cleanser. The only thing they could articulate about it was that they didn't feel they were being respectful of God at the other service. Too rock band.

So, I guess what I'm saying is to not sell them short because they are children. :grouphug:

There is something transcendently beautiful that speaks to children at the Mass. And, frankly, I think they know it more than we, as adults do. They have a deep sense of the sacred.

I agree with this. My dd was raised in a non-denom church, and we've now been going to an Anglican Church for 9 months. She absolutely loves the liturgy, and feels the power of the Spirit. On Ash Wednesday (her first) she literally got chills when our priest put the ashes on her forehead, and had a very difficult time singing the next song (she's in the adult choir). She feels the liturgy in a deep and lovely way.

*Some* Catholic churches have 'Sunday School' (CCD) before or after Mass, but never during. That is for families to worship together.

My children converted with me this past Easter Vigil and, though it was difficult, they've fallen more in love with their faith.

So, I would 'reframe' your potential problem, and then make some transitional choices for them. We'll go Sunday morning to the AG while we attend Saturday Vigil Mass at the RCC. THat way, they can ease over, and, you may find that they like it more, but for different reasons.

My children *love* the liturgy. I mean, they love it. And we were non denom, multi million dollar stage/lights/concerts/fun. There is something transcendently beautiful that speaks to children at the Mass. And, frankly, I think they know it more than we, as adults do. They have a deep sense of the sacred.

When my kids went with their grandmother to a local AG a few months ago, they were very disappointed and ...left with a lurching feeling, they wanted to be dropped off home early and requested that we attend the Sunday evening services ..kind of like a palate cleanser. The only thing they could articulate about it was that they didn't feel they were being respectful of God at the other service. Too rock band.

So, I guess what I'm saying is to not sell them short because they are children. :grouphug:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

My children have all been to Mass. My oldest appreciates the reverence and beauty but loves her church. My next dd hates Mass and loves the AG church. My oldest son could care less, and my youngest loves his AG church. It complicates the situation because my husband's entire family attends the AG church. My dds' entire social circle is at the AG church. They have a wonderful youth pastor and adult leaders. My entire family is either dead, live very far away, or are non-practicing Catholics. Plus my husband travels a good 20 days or so every month so he isn't even home many Sundays. He supports me but feels that the AG church is better for the kids.

I guess my problem is that I want us to all be at one church and I don't know that that will ever going to be possible. It makes me sad. Maybe I'm an idealist and want us to all happily walk into Mass and be fully active in the Church. I find it very hard to express what I'm frustrated about.

I am going to a study the priest is doing on Colossians tonight. I am excited.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I agree with this. My dd was raised in a non-denom church, and we've now been going to an Anglican Church for 9 months. She absolutely loves the liturgy, and feels the power of the Spirit. On Ash Wednesday (her first) she literally got chills when our priest put the ashes on her forehead, and had a very difficult time singing the next song (she's in the adult choir). She feels the liturgy in a deep and lovely way.

That is wonderful!

My oldest dd is very music oriented. Unfortunately the Catholic Church I have been attending is very lacking in the music dept. We have a couple of singers and a guitar. I know that sounds rude but it's the truth. The congregation barely sings above a whisper if they sing at all. I'm surprised because it's a rather large church. At the AG church music is VERY important. They have professional music ministers with lots of equipment, instruments, and vocalists. I wish there was at least a choir.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

OK, so this is VERY cool

We already knew that Shakespeare was Catholic and wrote in code, to escape that 'Good Queen Bess' BUT, I had NO IDEA that The Twelve Days of Christmas was written by Jesuits in code

“The Twelve Days of Christmas†celebrates the official Christmas season which starts liturgically on Christmas Day and ends twelve days later on the Feast of the Epiphany. “My true love†refers to God, “me†is the individual Catholic. The “twelve lords a leaping†are the twelve basic beliefs of the Catholic Church as outlined in the Apostles Creed. The “eleven pipers piping†are the eleven Apostles who remained faithful after the treachery of Judas. The “ten ladies dancing†are the Ten Commandments. The “nine drummers drumming†are the nine choirs of angels which in those days of class distinction were thought important. The “eight maids a milking†are the Eight Beatitudes. The “seven swans a swimming†are the Seven Sacraments. The “six geese a laying†are the Six Commandments of the Church or the six days of creation. The “five golden rings†are the first five books of the Old Testament called the Torah which are generally considered the most sacred and important of all the Old Testament. The “four calling birds†are the Four Gospels. The “three French hens†are the Three Persons in God or the three gifts of the Wise Men. The “two turtle doves†represent the two natures in Jesus: human and divine or the two Testaments, Old and New. The “partridge†is the piece de resistance, Jesus himself, and the “pear tree†is the Cross.

BUt, I was reading some blogs, and one smart homeschooling mom picked up that in Beatrix Potter's Benjamin Bunny, there is a throwaway line...it seems

They are trying to get into Mr MacGregor's garden and Benjamin says, "“It spoils people’s clothes to squeeze under a gate; the proper way to get in is to climb down a pear tree.â€

MacGregor's garden is seen as Eden, and Peter had a Genesis type journey through the book (Warned not to eat, does anyway, runs out of the garden naked, MacGregor taking his clothes and making a scarecrow out of them would be the angel with the flaming sword, his overindulgence makes him sick)

And then Bejamin syas this and if you read the article the Pear Tree is the Cross...so, the way to return to Eden is by the Cross.

Very cool.

Here's the blog post on the Garden/fall and Peter and here's the post on Benjamin and the Narrow Gate

I can't wait for her next post.

Can someone else considering conversion or undergoing conversion PM me for a less public conversation about it? Thanks!

My dh and I are enrolled in RCIA now and are planning to join the church this year at Easter Vigil. I will try to pm you, but honestly I don't quite know how to use that function ( I have 5 kids with #6 on the way and am not on the boards too much), so if you don't get a message from me, please feel free to send me one and I'll respond.

Robin

I was reading the Pagan thread (really interesting!) and liked the idea of a little home alter. Anyone here do one? What's this look like? I'm picturing a place to keep a prayer intentions book, maybe a candle, something else? I don't know what I'm picturing but I want one. RIght now I've got a Rosary on my dresser along with medicine and perfume and that's the closest I've got to a religious center in my home.

I was reading the Pagan thread (really interesting!) and liked the idea of a little home alter. Anyone here do one? What's this look like? I'm picturing a place to keep a prayer intentions book, maybe a candle, something else? I don't know what I'm picturing but I want one. RIght now I've got a Rosary on my dresser along with medicine and perfume and that's the closest I've got to a religious center in my home.

We sort of have one. It's in our living room which is where we do family prayer. It's the top of a bookcase and it has three candles. Two tapers we light whenever we pray. Then there is a thicker one which is lit at the table on Saturday night's as part of our little "Lord's Day Liturgy" that we do before we eat. We light it on our altar for all Sunday prayers and also during the Octaves of Easter and Christmas. Then there is a small, acrylic picture frame. We change out the picture in it using the Rosary note cards Magnificat sells. (I hope they still sell them--we got ours a long time ago). So, right now the picture is the Garden of Gethsemane. For Advent it was the Annunciation picture. Some pictures are up for weeks at a time, some just for a week, depending. It also has our family Bible. We are still on the hunt for nice art and/or a main crucifix to hang on the wall above it.

We really like having this small space that changes slightly with the seasons and feasts. We have sometimes gotten different colored candles to match the liturgical season but lately we've stuck to just natural beeswax year-round.

Guest Connie Rossini

OK, so this is VERY cool

We already knew that Shakespeare was Catholic and wrote in code, to escape that 'Good Queen Bess' BUT, I had NO IDEA that The Twelve Days of Christmas was written by Jesuits in code

BUt, I was reading some blogs, and one smart homeschooling mom picked up that in Beatrix Potter's Benjamin Bunny, there is a throwaway line...it seems

They are trying to get into Mr MacGregor's garden and Benjamin says, "“It spoils people’s clothes to squeeze under a gate; the proper way to get in is to climb down a pear tree.â€

MacGregor's garden is seen as Eden, and Peter had a Genesis type journey through the book (Warned not to eat, does anyway, runs out of the garden naked, MacGregor taking his clothes and making a scarecrow out of them would be the angel with the flaming sword, his overindulgence makes him sick)

And then Bejamin syas this and if you read the article the Pear Tree is the Cross...so, the way to return to Eden is by the Cross.

Very cool.

Here's the blog post on the Garden/fall and Peter and here's the post on Benjamin and the Narrow Gate

I can't wait for her next post.

Thanks for the compliment and for linking to my posts! I've also found an allusion to the Epiphany/Baptism of the Lord in My Side of the Mountain. I hope to do more in the future, including at least one book by Dr. Seuss.

I have a few. I'll have to get some better pictures.

I am also a Cradle Catholic exploring coming back. I find it interesting that you described CCD as "happy lovey dovey" because that's how I remember it as well. I don't think I really learned much of anything about what the Church actually believes. I'm discovering that now.

Elise in NC

It seems quite a few of us had gaping holes in our catchesis. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and can definitely relate!

In my young adulthood, I had an older friend who mentored me and taught me so much. I continued to study the Faith on my own and have never stopped. I felt like I had found an old trunk, a family heirloom, in the attic, and when I opened it I was astonished to see it contained priceless treasure. Why had no one told me about this before???

Anyway, welcome! Please ask any questions and we will be happy to try to help you find the answers.

Our house is torn up at the moment, but I did have an icon wall in my living room. When we get things put back together, I plan to have an icon corner in our dining room using a corner shelf that my mil gave us. She had it made from an old door that came from my husband's grandparents' old farmhouse.

It seems quite a few of us had gaping holes in our catchesis. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and can definitely relate!

In my young adulthood, I had an older friend who mentored me and taught me so much. I continued to study the Faith on my own and have never stopped. I felt like I had found an old trunk, a family heirloom, in the attic, and when I opened it I was astonished to see it contained priceless treasure. Why had no one told me about this before???

Anyway, welcome! Please ask any questions and we will be happy to try to help you find the answers.

Thank you!

I want to know more. The more I learn the more I find myself saying, "Yes! That makes total sense!" After attending Mass for the past few months I have really noticed how "me" focused I felt at our Protestant church. I would walk out after tge service and comment to my husband about whether or not I liked the sermon or if the worship time was good or not. What has been amazing is that I feel so differently about Mass. It's not about me at all. It's all about Him. I had never noticed that before. It's so refreshing.

I'm headed to a Bible study the priest is doing on the book of Colossians. I am very interested to see how it goes. I've been to plenty of Protestant Bible studies but not a Catholic one. I can't wait.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

Wow, you have all been busy today.

Mommymilkies - I hope you found the help you needed.

Speedmom4 - ask St. Monica for her intercession regarding your children.

ElinorEverywhere - I loved your story about your dd on Ash Wednesday.

Justamouse - Way cool!

Aggieamy - I don't have a home alter. I have little things all over my house as reminders. Prayer cards stuck here and there, statues in various rooms, crucifixes in each room, palms from last Palm Sunday and rosaries hanging within easy reach.

My dc are amazed at what I didn't know growing up Catholic:

Didn't know how to say the rosary

Was unsure of the Hail Mary

Didn't know any other saints except Joan of Arc and St. Francis

Didn't know the Eucharist was actually Jesus

Didn't know Immaculate Conception referred to Mary (learned that from a reader's digest quiz)

Didn't know any Latin at all -had never been to a Latin Mass

And this with perfect attendance at CCD some years. I did know many bible stories and all about the life of Jesus because I read children's bibles over and over. CCD was a HUGE joke and waste of time!

I started the FB group. PM me if you want in. :)

I may have to beg and plead with Parrothead because I know she hates Facebook. I just want somewhere less exposed.

I'm not on FB, either, but I'm hoping the groups will be running before long.

It does not have to be either/or.

But even when the social groups are up, we are still open enough that some people might feel more comfortable asking questions where they don't have an audience.

So really, just another option.

I would really, really, really love Chucki to get on Facebook though. :)

We have one, though it's only about half there right now because our house is listed for sale & we put a lot of stuff away. It's a doublewide 2-drawer-tall file cabinet, and I have an altar cloth in each liturgical color (either got them at goodwill or made them, it's just a rectangle of fabric) so we can put on whatever is right for the season. On top of the cloth is a little bookstand that holds a prayer book, rosaries belonging to whoever didn't leave theirs somewhere else recently, a couple of small saint statues I got from my grandma, sometimes a candle in a jar, usually the palms we bring home on Palm Sunday (they got taken back to church a month ago for ashes). I have a liturgical-year poster set & a stand to hold them, but it's kinda big so that's been down since we listed the house. Near bigger holidays more things get added. Above it on the wall hangs a cross-stitch my mom made me with a quote from St Francis, and on a nearby wall is a crucifix (needs to move to the altar, but I don't have a plan yet). Prayer cards come & go for a variety of reasons, propped against the bookstand. The kids (and dh) know not to just set stuff on there, even though it's a horizontal surface.

My younger dd has set up a mini-altar in her room from time to time, on a folding tv tray set up below her crucifix. She puts her Bible, rosary, holy cards on there, maybe a relevant craft she's made.

and liked the idea of a little home altar. Anyone here do one? What's this look like? I'm picturing a place to keep a prayer intentions book, maybe a candle, something else? I don't know what I'm picturing but I want one. RIght now I've got a Rosary on my dresser along with medicine and perfume and that's the closest I've got to a religious center in my home.

I'll see if I can add a shot of ours.

This is from a couple of yrs ago, it is now covered with prayer cards from missing friends.

We are fairly new to the church and I liked that friends have this focus area in their main living room.

The cross is from a non-church goer. It belonged to his Anglican Priest father. Friend is pleased to see it being appreciated again.

ETA: Well it appears I've forgotten how to upload a file.

Edited by Pod's mum

Would anyone be interested in a CTT group on Facebook? I have just about given up hope that our actual Social Group is coming back.

I would like that very much. I read something disturbing the other day, and I wanted so badly to come here to discuss it and my feelings about it. Because of the hate around here (the boards) and because of the boards being public, I chose not to share at this time. I've had to put the topic aside until I have a chance to speak in a safe place. I know no other Catholics IRL besides my family, but they're way more liberal with the exception of one, who is busy, busy, busy. Plus, they all live 1000 mi. away.

I went to the study on Colossians last night and to say I was impressed is an understatement!!! The priest not only has a gift for teaching but he obviously is very educated about the Bible and the history of that time. We only got through four verses because there was great discussion. Also the priest was writing down the Greek and teaching about the historical context of Colossae.

I came home and was so excited to tell dh about it. I had posted my dilemma on a Catholic forum and had received such wonderful responses. One woman posted links to the Journey Home show on You Tube. I watched a man who had been raised in an AG church (the denomination I currently attend) and he said the exact same thing I did about Mass being Christ centered and not "me" centered. I was completely floored. It felt like confirmation that I am on the right track. The guest on the show recommended Rome Sweet Home and I am going to go ahead and order it.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I went to the study on Colossians last night and to say I was impressed is an understatement!!! The priest not only has a gift for teaching but he obviously is very educated about the Bible and the history of that time. We only got through four verses because there was great discussion. Also the priest was writing down the Greek and teaching about the historical context of Colossae.

I came home and was so excited to tell dh about it. I had posted my dilemma on a Catholic forum and had received such wonderful responses. One woman posted links to the Journey Home show on You Tube. I watched a man who had been raised in an AG church (the denomination I currently attend) and he said the exact same thing I did about Mass being Christ centered and not "me" centered. I was completely floored. It felt like confirmation that I am on the right track. The guest on the show recommended Rome Sweet Home and I am going to go ahead and order it.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

We have three priests that serve our parish and each homily is like a history lesson. They always teach context. They have a LOT of schooling to go through to become a priest, and I really appreciate that.

I reverted last year, and one thing you will find in reading all of those conversion books is that the process is almost always the same, the same journey and you really understand that it's not just you. And, the conversion process is also just like your first, when you came to the understanding of Christ (that was in the book, Forming Intentional Disciples, and the author wrote out the process and yep, you can just check it off.)

If you really want a great book that will blow your mind, read How to Go From Being a Good Evangelical to a Committed Catholic in Ninety-Five Difficult Steps. You will swear that the author had a video camera set up in your house and somehow knew all your thoughts.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Forgive me again! for not doing the quote thingy right. I promise not to use it anymore until I learn.

I just wanted to add that I love the Journey Home. It is very assuring to hear testimonies from others who have experienced the same things. It can be VERY lonely at first.

I have everybody who PMd me responded to or added. To make the FB group Secret (and not readable by your family and friends), it meant you all have to friend someone who is already a member and then that person will add you to the group.

So if you want in, PM me for my FB page link and let me know your name (so I know who to look for). Then add me as a friend (you don't have to keep me as one if you don't want to ;) ) I will accept the friend request and add you in to the group.

I am sorry if I have missed anybody. The ipad is glitchy sometimes. Justamouse and Parrothead can also add people, if I don't get to you quickly enough.