Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

You could get this:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0007I5FE6

Very popular with my girls.

I just picked one up. I think it'll help us all in the house (somehow being the only full-blown Catholic in the house - dh isn't and the kids have yet to make their FHC - everyone thinks I always have all the answers ;) ).

I was so good all of January not spending anything extra except court shoes for the older two for tennis. Now, in the span of one day, I have spent a small fortune on Amazon. :lol:

I'm not sure if anyone saw this from Elizabeth Foss: A Papal Notebook. I love the idea. I saved the PDFs to the desktop to print later and ordered some of the books to read. I think I'll have the kids focus on this and our memory verses for Lent in their religion composition books between now and Easter. God willing, we'll have a new pope to add to the "notebook" by Easter! :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read through all 25 pages of this thread (and I assume there was a social group prior to the board switch?) so possibly Simcha Fisher is a well-known author here, but I thought her post on Lenten penancewas great (I generally think all her stuff is great, though).

I adore Simcha!! I "knew" her from the NFP board on Delphi all those years ago. Her wit and wisdom are amazing!

So... logic stage ladies... oxford press' The Medieval and Early Modern World seven volume set... Catholic friendly anyone?

It looks somewhat easier to read than Light to the Nations (although Light to the Nations is topping my list right now).

This is an interesting story my nephew, who went to Franciscan University in Stuebenville, OH, sent to me last night.

This is from Scott Hahn, a professor at Franciscan. Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

Few people, however, noticed at the time.

Only now, we may be gaining a better understanding of what it meant. These actions were probably more than pious acts. More likely, they were profound and symbolic gestures of a very personal nature, which conveyed a message that a Pope can hardly deliver any other way.

In the year 1294, this man (Fr. Pietro Angelerio), known by all as a devout and holy priest, was elected Pope, somewhat against his will, shortly before his 80th birthday (Ratzinger was 78 when he was elected Pope in 2005). Just five months later, after issuing a formal decree allowing popes to resign (or abdicate, like other rulers), Pope Celestine V exercised that right. And now Pope Benedict XVI has chosen to follow in the footsteps of this venerable model.

This is an interesting story my nephew, who went to Franciscan University in Stuebenville, OH, sent to me last night.

This is from Scott Hahn, a professor at Franciscan. Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.

Only now, we may be gaining a better understanding of what it meant. These actions were probably more than pious acts. More likely, they were profound and symbolic gestures of a very personal nature, which conveyed a message that a Pope can hardly deliver any other way.

In the year 1294, this man (Fr. Pietro Angelerio), known by all as a devout and holy priest, was elected Pope, somewhat against his will, shortly before his 80th birthday (Ratzinger was 78 when he was elected Pope in 2005). Just five months later, after issuing a formal decree allowing popes to resign (or abdicate, like other rulers), Pope Celestine V exercised that right. And now Pope Benedict XVI has chosen to follow in the footsteps of this venerable model.

Well now I'm confused. I thought it was Pope Gregory Xii who retired roughly 600years ago.

Evelyn, since you're doing 52 Books this year, too, maybe you should add The Pope Who Quit to your reading list :) Dh was given it for Christmas and I was just glancing at it last night.

Pope Benedict also declared a "Celestine Year" in 2009 to commemorate the 800th anniversary of the saint's birth. He's clearly had Celestine on his mind for quite awhile.

Well now I'm confused. I thought it was Pope Gregory Xii who retired roughly 600years ago.

Dh (theology professor) was telling me last night that the "600 years ago" number is coming from a strange situation where there were a few different popes at once and no one knew who was legitimate (I think it was pretty complex and this is a gross oversimplification). The Council of Basel was involved though, when I google that it's not obvious how. Anyway, it was during the time of the Great Schism so there were all these political power plays. Eventually, all the popes stepped aside so that one could be legitimately elected.

So, technically, that was the last time but it really wasn't at all a parallel situation. And other than that, Celestine V (the one Elinor mentions) is the ONLY other Pope to have abdicated.

So tonight when we were saying our evening prayers, DS says he wants to dedicate his to Pope B16. He wanted to pray that he would get better quickly so that he could get back to "Pope-ing." :D After I stopped giggling, I explained that he would not be Pope-ing anymore. DH and I had a good chucle about that when he got home.

BTW-is it Pope-ing? Poping? Popeing? It just looks wrong the 2nd and 3rd way. Of course, it's also not actually a word....

Its 'pontificating'

So... logic stage ladies... oxford press' The Medieval and Early Modern World seven volume set... Catholic friendly anyone?

It looks somewhat easier to read than Light to the Nations (although Light to the Nations is topping my list right now).

It seemed perfectly fine when we used it two years ago, but I am not overly sensitive. The series covers world religions from a purely historic view.

Is Cardinal Dolan more liberal? I have heard about him a lot in passing lately, but nothing in depth. Didn't he not hold the POTUS up to task when he had the chance? Or am I thinking of something else?

Not liberal in the least, and man, I love him awful. :D I'd love to see him elected. I doubt it, but it's fun to cast your imaginary vote! I don't think any of the cardinals that are supposedly in the running are liberal.

Anyone doing anything fun for Fat Tuesday?

I just made two King's cakes, we'll fit some pancakes in there for a snack and I am making dessert, too, we fast all sugar for Lent and no TV till 7 pm.

I DO have to go upstairs and get out all the stuff--we make a crown of thorns, and I need to get the statues and crosses covered with purple.

I just made two King's cakes, we'll fit some pancakes in there for a snack and I am making dessert, too, we fast all sugar for Lent and no TV till 7 pm.

I DO have to go upstairs and get out all the stuff--we make a crown of thorns, and I need to get the statues and crosses covered with purple.

Whoa. That's awesome. I was just going to go buy DD a donut. Maybe I'll go all out and let her get one with sprinkles. :)

I'm an absolute zombie so far today. Usually we get up early and do donuts for breakfast but I've been up since 8 am YESTERDAY because I was awake all night working on this project I have to finish today. I'm waiting on a phone call to get me the information I need to finish my part of the project then I'm going to take a nap. I'm thinking about calling it a day to focus on great literature and letting DD just listen to audiobooks all day and play with Playmobil.

Evelyn, since you're doing 52 Books this year, too, maybe you should add The Pope Who Quit to your reading list :) Dh was given it for Christmas and I was just glancing at it last night.

Pope Benedict also declared a "Celestine Year" in 2009 to commemorate the 800th anniversary of the saint's birth. He's clearly had Celestine on his mind for quite awhile.

That's an excellent suggestion, thanks!!

When I went through RCIA we were given this book to read/study during lent. I LOVED LOVED it, and was excited to finally find it again. And its a kindle version, so I can start right away! And only $4. I highly recommend it. It is designed to be used in 6 minutes a day, and has tons of interesting trivia/factoids/etc for the season along with the scripture readings. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Lent-ebook/dp/B00AYP6DN4/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360696365&sr=1-2&keywords=little+black+book+lent

I have NO CLUE what I am going to be doing for Lent. I always give up sodas and it truly never brings me any closer to Christ - so why am I doing it? I want to do some reading but our library here has one shelf if that of Christian/Catholic reading, and I have no money to buy something new. I'm really torn.

When I went through RCIA we were given this book to read/study during lent. I LOVED LOVED it, and was excited to finally find it again. And its a kindle version, so I can start right away! And only $4. I highly recommend it. It is designed to be used in 6 minutes a day, and has tons of interesting trivia/factoids/etc for the season along with the scripture readings. http://www.amazon.co...black book lent

I just bought it - thanks!

Whoa. That's awesome. I was just going to go buy DD a donut. Maybe I'll go all out and let her get one with sprinkles. :)

I'm an absolute zombie so far today. Usually we get up early and do donuts for breakfast but I've been up since 8 am YESTERDAY because I was awake all night working on this project I have to finish today. I'm waiting on a phone call to get me the information I need to finish my part of the project then I'm going to take a nap. I'm thinking about calling it a day to focus on great literature and letting DD just listen to audiobooks all day and play with Playmobil.

That sounds like a good day!

I made the two because we have a bible study (with Fr Pacwa's books) for the six weeks of Lent, and it's at my house, so I made an extra cake. :D THey all just left and I have to say, what an amazing bunch of ladies, they are on fire for Christ.

When I went through RCIA we were given this book to read/study during lent. I LOVED LOVED it, and was excited to finally find it again. And its a kindle version, so I can start right away! And only $4. I highly recommend it. It is designed to be used in 6 minutes a day, and has tons of interesting trivia/factoids/etc for the season along with the scripture readings. http://www.amazon.co...black book lent

Our Parish supplies one of those for each family during Lent. I love them, too.

A gentle suggestion, take it or leave it, to anyone still trying to figure out what to do for Lent. Until very recently, adult Catholics didn't wonder what to do during Lent. They gave up food. That is, they observed the (much less strict than medieval times) fast, which was quite moderate by the mid-20th century: one meal a day, with leeway for two smaller meals as necessary to maintain strength. Even with this greatly moderated fast, manual laborers and those with health conditions making it too difficult were easily dispensed.

Now the fast is devotional; but it's still the 2000-year-old Catholic tradition to fast every day in Lent. It was also traditional to figure out how much money you were saving on food and give that amount to the poor.

That was it. Nobody had to figure out a customized penance; the rich ate as little as the poor (usually less in fact, as they were less likely to be doing manual labor). It was a source of unity among Catholics, socioeconomically, geographically and temporally, and between the Christian west and east.

YMM totally V. But I just thought I'd mention it.

A gentle suggestion, take it or leave it, to anyone still trying to figure out what to do for Lent. Until very recently, adult Catholics didn't wonder what to do during Lent. They gave up food. That is, they observed the (much less strict than medieval times) fast, which was quite moderate by the mid-20th century: one meal a day, with leeway for two smaller meals as necessary to maintain strength. Even with this greatly moderated fast, manual laborers and those with health conditions making it too difficult were easily dispensed.

Now the fast is devotional; but it's still the 2000-year-old Catholic tradition to fast every day in Lent. It was also traditional to figure out how much money you were saving on food and give that amount to the poor.

That was it. Nobody had to figure out a customized penance; the rich ate as little as the poor (usually less in fact, as they were less likely to be doing manual labor). It was a source of unity among Catholics, socioeconomically, geographically and temporally, and between the Christian west and east.

Thanks for mentioning it! ;) I've been considering something along this line, maybe based on time of day (not eat from 7pm to noon or something). My other inclination is the "no-S plan" (no snacks, no sweets, no seconds). So your post was a helpful nudge....

Our very old Catholic encyclopedia says that a fast day used to be 4 oz. of bread at breakfast, 8 oz. at lunch, a normal dinner. Dh and I do this. It's not THAT hard. The greater penance is that it's incredibly boring.

I had a big insight a few years ago that I should stop trying to be all creative and reinventing the wheel all the time and just "do what I'm told" in this regard. There is a lot of wisdom in these old traditions.

Which is not at all to look down on or condemn anyone who is giving up something different, but I wanted to chime in that this is a great practice. It has been the only Lenten sacrifice to ever "work" for me.

I just had one sent to my ipad. Thanks.

Our very old Catholic encyclopedia says that a fast day used to be 4 oz. of bread at breakfast, 8 oz. at lunch, a normal dinner. Dh and I do this. It's not THAT hard. The greater penance is that it's incredibly boring.

I had a big insight a few years ago that I should stop trying to be all creative and reinventing the wheel all the time and just "do what I'm told" in this regard. There is a lot of wisdom in these old traditions.

Which is not at all to look down on or condemn anyone who is giving up something different, but I wanted to chime in that this is a great practice. It has been the only Lenten sacrifice to ever "work" for me.

This is interesting to me.

I imagine it's a bad idea for a nursing mom, or no?

Since I've never tried it, I'm not sure how it would effect milk supply.

This is interesting to me.

I imagine it's a bad idea for a nursing mom, or no?

Since I've never tried it, I'm not sure how it would effect milk supply.

I've done it while nursing. I'd butter the bread. I mean, none of this is obligatory anymore, so it's fine to tweak. I just kind of like the principle of starting from the norm. I used to come up with these crazy, undoable penances one year and practically nothing the next. This is a happy medium for me. I do drink coffee, too. With cream. Dh does not allow me to give up coffee :laugh:

Women "in delicate condition" were always, always dispensed. Eat healthy foods you don't like instead. ;)

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even attempt it if pregnant. So, depending on how things go the next few weeks, I may need to have a back up fast in mind. ;)

I've always been ravenous while nursing, but that may partly be from small me + giant babies. I would have gnawed dh's arm off* if I'd tried to fast.

*Not, of course, on a Friday.

Very curious what would be an appropriate meatless substitute for Arm of Husband. :laugh: :laugh:

I've always been ravenous while nursing, but that may partly be from small me + giant babies. I would have gnawed dh's arm off* if I'd tried to fast.

*Not, of course, on a Friday.

I think nursing is a more individualized situation than pregnancy. During pregnancy, women should do their best to eat really optimally. Nursing I feel like you can see how you respond and how your baby responds and I think some kind of fasting MIGHT be doable but I don't think any woman should feel guilty for not fasting from food while nursing.

Last year I was nursing a one year old almost around the clock and did not fast (though I abstained from meat on Fridays). This year I am nursing a two year old not quite around the clock. But, also am border-line hypoglycemic and I'm not sure what I should do. I would like to try to observe the fasts (and am fascinated with the idea of making a Lenten-long fast), but I'm not sure how my body would handle that situation. Hmm ... maybe the idea of no sweets/snacks/seconds would work. That way I can make sure I don't spike/crash with my blood sugar and yet can limit food. Anyone else have hypoglycemia issues (or issues where you need regular meals, well, regularly) and have been able to observe a modified fast?

Last year I was nursing a one year old almost around the clock and did not fast (though I abstained from meat on Fridays). This year I am nursing a two year old not quite around the clock. But, also am border-line hypoglycemic and I'm not sure what I should do. I would like to try to observe the fasts (and am fascinated with the idea of making a Lenten-long fast), but I'm not sure how my body would handle that situation. Hmm ... maybe the idea of no sweets/snacks/seconds would work. That way I can make sure I don't spike/crash with my blood sugar and yet can limit food. Anyone else have hypoglycemia issues (or issues where you need regular meals, well, regularly) and have been able to observe a modified fast?

Perhaps it is better for you to abstain rather than fast. Abstain from something(s) rather than fasting from food.

I'm like this and I am nursing a two-year old. You could just try it out for a couple of days with a backup fast in mind. I butter my bread and put real cream in my coffee. That amount of high quality fat seems to keep me level all day. Even on non-fast days when I eat plenty, if I haven't had good fats, I'm crashing all over the place.

If it attracts you, give it a shot. But have a plan B ready. No shame in staying healthy :)

For those who follow the pre-1970 cycle, or are open to doing two sets of readings, here's another "black book" courtesy of archive.org. It looks like a real treasure. (I wish I'd thought to check for something like this earlier, as it starts at Septuagesima.)

Meditations for Lent from St. Thomas Aquinas -- Sheed & Ward, 1937

Thanks for letting me know about this--just ordered a used copy for $4.00 :)

In the Catholic Church are fasts not set then? It's not no oil, meat, wine for X days, wine on these days is OK, fish is OK here-it's more open to the individual?

I had been studying/attending an Eastern Orthodox Church until several months ago, so forgive any questions that seem obvious.

In the Catholic Church are fasts not set then? It's not no oil, meat, wine for X days, wine on these days is OK, fish is OK here-it's more open to the individual?

I had been studying/attending an Eastern Orthodox Church until several months ago, so forgive any questions that seem obvious.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but what I have been taught is this:

Ash Wednesday and Good Friday: Fasting is eating only one regular size meal plus two smaller meals, the sum of which cannot equal a full meal (so more like snack size meals)

All Fridays during Lent (though we are to abstain year round, but I have read that if we do eat meat on Fridays outside of Lent we are to serve a different penance): We abstain from eating meat, though fish/seafood is okay, as are things like broth made from meat.

Other than that, I do not believe we have the proscribed fasts like the EO church does. Did I get that right?

Ash Wednesday and Good Friday: Fasting is eating only one regular size meal plus two smaller meals, the sum of which cannot equal a full meal (so more like snack size meals)

All Fridays during Lent (though we are to abstain year round, but I have read that if we do eat meat on Fridays outside of Lent we are to serve a different penance): We abstain from eating meat, though fish/seafood is okay, as are things like broth made from meat.

Other than that, I do not believe we have the proscribed fasts like the EO church does. Did I get that right?

Yes, this is exactly right as far as the modern "rules." And, as far as I know, the RCC has never had the kind of specific fasting guidelines that the EO churches have.

Yes, this is exactly right as far as the modern "rules." And, as far as I know, the RCC has never had the kind of specific fasting guidelines that the EO churches have.

Well, truth be told, the RCC probably had the same rules when it was one church with the EO, and for a long time afterward.

Over the years - the last half century really - the fasts and abstaining has become rather lax. When I was a kid, fasting was fasting - bread and water on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. There were more fasting days such as Christmas eve when one's family had a big feast after midnight mass. Also when I was a kid no meat was the rule for every Friday. It was so prevalent that the school served three types of food - egg salad sandwiches, fish or regular meals for non-Catholics.

Well, truth be told, the RCC probably had the same rules when it was one church with the EO, and for a long time afterward.

Over the years - the last half century really - the fasts and abstaining has become rather lax. When I was a kid, fasting was fasting - bread and water on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. There were more fasting days such as Christmas eve when one's family had a big feast after midnight mass. Also when I was a kid no meat was the rule for every Friday. It was so prevalent that the school served three types of food - egg salad sandwiches, fish or regular meals for non-Catholics.

I grew up in a very culturally Catholic town and even in the 80s, meat was never served in the cafeteria on Fridays.

No meat is still, technically, the rule for every Friday. We're just allowed to substitute another penance. We try to observe this at home but a few weeks ago I put bacon in the pasta. Dh sniffed the air when he got home and I said, "My alternative penance was making dinner instead of asking you pick up takeout." :001_unsure: Not sure if that was legit.

I don't love fasting but I think it's such a shame that the rhythms of the liturgical year are so out of whack in the modern culture. It used to be that all of Lent, all Vigils of Solemnities, the Ember Days (three days, four times a year near the start of each season) were all fast days. I have often wondered if Holy Mother Church has a sure fire weight management program there :laugh: But I know in our family it is awfully easy to feast like crazy and give seriously short shrift to the fasts. But I've also found that we get better at fasting the more we do it so we're working on it slowly.

Am i the only one sitting here reading while trying to finish off any chocolate i can find and draining the end of a delicious bottle of Pinot Noir?

On a serious note, I'm really looking forward to Mass tommorow morning.

Dh is putting the kids to bed but on his way to the kids' room he said, "Maybe after we can have a drink and . . . some bacon?"

I totally wish we had some ice cream to kill off or something but we are really low on Fat Tuesday treats.

I've always wondered about broth. I have a lot of meatless meals but so many of them call for chicken broth or homemade vegetable stock which I never have. Glad to know I'm not condemning my family to a few extra decades in Purgatory for using chicken bullion on Fridays during Lent.

I don't want to do this which means I probably should. I'm giving up all sweets for Lent. No candy, no cookies, no ice cream (still leaves me 3 1/2 hours to eat it tonight), no lemonade, no sugan in tea. Nothing. Nada.

I wish I'd had an extra donut today.

I've always wondered about broth. I have a lot of meatless meals but so many of them call for chicken broth or homemade vegetable stock which I never have. Glad to know I'm not condemning my family to a few extra decades in Purgatory for using chicken bullion on Fridays during Lent.

I don't want to do this which means I probably should. I'm giving up all sweets for Lent. No candy, no cookies, no ice cream (still leaves me 3 1/2 hours to eat it tonight), no lemonade, no sugan in tea. Nothing. Nada.

I wish I'd had an extra donut today.

I try and fail at this particular penance every year. But sugar really messes me up so I really should kick it for my health, too. Feel free to kick my butt about it whenever you want.

But now I might need to make dh go out for ice cream. Why aren't those kids asleep yet!?