Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

I found SUCH an amazing article on Lent today...

Do You KNow Why Lent is 40 Days?

We are studying the Pentateuch in Bible study this year and we just discussed Moses on Mt. Sinai for forty days. Someone asked our Sr. about the significance of the number forty - Noah, Moses, the Israelites, Elijah, Jesus - and she talked about gestation. During that time period of forty, God is creating something only we can't yet see it (much like pregnancy; it wasn't until very recently that we could "see" what was happening in the womb). Then she spoke of how after the forty days of gestation during Lent, the new converts are "born again" in the waters of baptisms. :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious question regarding song lyrics. At Christmas, my SIL gave dh and I a couple "mixed tapes" of some new-to-us Christian music (we listen to all types of music; one day we were talking to her about different CCM artists and we hadn't heard of the ones she liked ... sorry for the backstory). So, this one comes up every now and then and has a nice sound. But then I started listening to the lyrics and it started to bother me. But, then I thought maybe I was reading too much into it and thought I'd ask here:

There's not much to the song, but the "there's a place where religion finally dies" is repeated a few times in the song. And it dawned on me (but again, maybe I'm bringing too much baggage to the song?) - religion has to die for us to find the grace of God. It felt, to me, a definitely anti-Catholic (or anti-liturgical church) song, kind of along the lines of the whole YouTube "Why I hate religion but love Jesus". I'm debating removing it from the playlists as I don't want the kids thinking religion (Church) has to die in order to be with God in His Grace. But, I thought I'd get some opinions here because my past (with the evangelical side as well as with SIL might be clouding things - she is evangelical and also not very pro-Catholic in her beliefs, though she doesn't show us any animosity and I don't want to think she added this song purposely to try to make a theological point, if that makes sense).

I would say you could take it a few ways. I read it that "religion" is the empty actions of a hypocrite - kind of like the pharisees where Jesus gets out his "Woe to you..." litany. If we don't drop that "follow the rules yet have no relationship with God", we aren't truly in relationship with God.

That's also the point of Jefferson and the "I hate Religion but Love Jesus" video, which I actually love. I am FB friends with him as well and his perspective is deeply relational. He is saying the same thing: In order to be truly in relationship to God, you have to stop putting your faith in the ritual and put it in the relationship. That does not mean (and he was very specific about this) for anyone to leave organized religion. It means more to "BE" in relationship and the doing that we do now has meaning.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well.

I was aware of the recurrance of the number 40, but had never heard anyone relate it to birth...very insightful. Thanks for sharing.

I know, I felt like a numbskull for not putting those two together before because it's not like we haven't counted those weeks before!!!

Since no one in the real world will understand,I wanted to share with you ladies.DH and I had the opportunity to attend the Stations of the Cross last night.We really did not know anything about it,but since our RCIA leader asked,we decided to give it a try.It was one of the most amazing and powerful hours. I have never experienced anything like this in the protestant world.I'm getting so excited for Easter Vigil.

Robin

Freaky coincidence?

Lightning strikes St Peter's after Pope announces resignation

Earthquake rattles Rome near Pope's summer home.

If there is a flood or plague of frogs I'm thinking His Holiness might want to rethink the retiring thing. :laugh:

The lightning strike was real? I've seen pictures but I though it was just figurative--you know, the Pope resigning is about as likely as getting hit by lightning.

I think earthquakes are really common in that part of Italy so I don't know how much weight to put on that . . .

Since no one in the real world will understand,I wanted to share with you ladies.DH and I had the opportunity to attend the Stations of the Cross last night.We really did not know anything about it,but since our RCIA leader asked,we decided to give it a try.It was one of the most amazing and powerful hours. I have never experienced anything like this in the protestant world.I'm getting so excited for Easter Vigil.

Robin

We went to stations on Friday after Mass and I was having a hard time not crying!

Vigil is just the most beautiful thing ever. I cannot wait to go this year, and I can't wait to see what you think if it!

The lightning strike was real? I've seen pictures but I though it was just figurative--you know, the Pope resigning is about as likely as getting hit by lightning.

I think earthquakes are really common in that part of Italy so I don't know how much weight to put on that . . .

Yeah, a few news stations played the hit on video. Of course anything can be photoshopped today.

I'm sure it was coincidence.

We went to stations on Friday after Mass and I was having a hard time not crying!

Have you ever been to a Tenebrae service? Amazing. I cry every time, even the kids do (though that used to be because they were afraid of the dark). It's hard to find one around here, our current priest started it in our parish, and seems like a little-known tradition, but SO powerful.

I am no longer practicing, and am in the Episcopal Church now, but I will say that the Easter Vigil when I was brought into the Catholic Church, years ago, is still my favorite service ever. Episcopal church's have the Vigil too, and it is wonderful, but that particular parish...it was amazing. The church had masses in Spanish and Phillipino, and at the Vigil the choir did an "around the world" style thing...with the Spanish and Phillipino choir joining the regular one. Plus african drummers. They sang hymns in English, Latin, Spanish, Philipino, and several other languages. The entire thing was MIND BLOWING...the most holy thing I've ever been part of. The JOY in the room as the priest blessed us all, and the laughter as small children got wet with holy water...it was amazing.

Have you ever been to a Tenebrae service? Amazing. I cry every time, even the kids do (though that used to be because they were afraid of the dark). It's hard to find one around here, our current priest started it in our parish, and seems like a little-known tradition, but SO powerful.

We end one of the Holy Week services in the dark and we quietly walk out--but that's not what you're talking about, right? It sounds amazing.

FYI...

I've been here 13 years.

I've seen all the crappy Catholic bashing for years. I've stood up and defended my Faith to the best of my ability.

I've seen how the "Christians" can treat Catholics and read their snide comments about where's that in the Bible...you worship Mary...the Pope...the Saints...there's nothing wrong with birth control...

I joke about it and say it before they say...so if any of you have a problem with me, there it is.

And before I congratulate someone, anyone, who mentions fake converting, I am going to be clear she is past the fake convert stage.

I am so, so sorry my post came across...maybe...somewhat insincere? "Fake convert" is probably a terrible way to put it, but it's how I put it *to myself* at the time. I wanted to convert years before, but I took it SO seriously (as I think a person ought)--like a *marriage*--that I didn't feel like I could "sign on the dotted line" unless I was 100%. And time after time, when I looked for answers to the issues I had with the Church, I ran into walls with the people at different RCIA groups.

Catholicism is so different from the other Christian denominations I've had experience with...it requires a completely different way of life. It wants EVERYTHING. *whispering*: It wants into my bedroom. When I was Evangelical & I went to the grocery store, I looked like everyone else there. If a stranger started talking about religion, our beliefs were VERY likely to be close enough for polite conversation. If I got a divorce or used bc, that was mostly my business.

So it was like...I decided to force myself to be ok with giving it what I could instead of everything. This is very not like me, compromise. LOL And it turns out, I couldn't do it--hence not finishing RCIA in 2011/12. If the parish we're at now hadn't had such good books to read, there's NO WAY I would have made it through this year with all the chaos my life has been in, but instead? The doctrine of the Church, the Saints, the community--have given me the grace & strength to survive it.

************************************************************************************

I'd be hesitant to congratulate someone on a conversion story that sounded flippant or insincere, too, & I think I've "known" you long enough to understand your feelings--esp when you clarified below. And the joking comments? I'd probably have been able to tell more easily that they were jokes if they hadn't been interspersed with other comments that weren't joking. Between it all, I was genuinely confused & thought maybe I'd lost any ability to read internet-tone at all.

And I'm also sorry that there's any contention here in this thread. I was trying so hard to present my story in a neutral enough way that it would be appropriate for the boards as a whole--since I've come here for so many years with religious questions to the boards as a whole--that I think I clipped out too much of what was personal--the smooshy feelingness of it all. I mean, I feel SO gushy about Catholicism right now that I do try to tone it down, even for Catholic friends, but...maybe...you can't tell a conversion story w/out too much emotion? I mean...it's emotional.

As far as explaining...in the right context, it's such a privilege & joy to get to talk about why I'm converting. I don't mind for any of you guys at all, if you'll excuse my sometimes-bumpy language.

((Unsinkable))

Robin

The Vigil is absolutely amazing. I entered at last year's Vigil and since my baptism was many years ago at our old protestant church, I will forever consider the Easter Vigil my Catholic birthday. :) I still get weepy thinking about it all. (Bring tissues!!! Heck, I'll need tissues this year even though I don't know anyone entering the Church. Then again, I could usually use a tissue or two at any point in time during regular Sunday Mass. ;) ) Next year, God willing, I will be a blubbering mess as my oldest two will enter the Church at the Vigil (youngest ds will make his FHC a month or so after his brothers enter the Church).

As far as explaining...in the right context, it's such a privilege & joy to get to talk about why I'm converting. I don't mind for any of you guys at all, if you'll excuse my sometimes-bumpy language.

I'm so excited for you and your family!

When I was reading your turtle story, I was really happy that you were back, but THIS is what I really wanted to know! I remember all the problems you had finding a good fit with RCIA, and I'm so glad you didn't give up!

Congratulations to everyone here who's "Coming Home" this Easter! :hurray:

Vigil is just the most beautiful thing ever. I cannot wait to go this year, and I can't wait to see what you think if it!

I typically go to Stations only once during Lent (Good Friday), but I'd like to go more this year.

I always cry...

I have love Stations more and more every year. The Vigil is going to blow you away. Have you been to one before? You are coming into the Church this Easter? (Sorry I'm relatively new to this thread so I'm still getting to know who is who)

We are planning to enter the church this year. I have never been to Easter Vigil. I really can't wait to go. I have a feeling I'm going to cry a good bit of the time. I can be a bit of an emotional person, plus these darn pregnancy hormones are working a number on me right now.

Robin

We end one of the Holy Week services in the dark and we quietly walk out--but that's not what you're talking about, right? It sounds amazing.

Well, it is on Good Friday evening, so maybe it is the same? There are 14? 16? candles behind the altar, and a series of prayers, songs & readings, and after each, one candle is snuffed, because the light of the world is going out. As the candles go out, someone switches the overhead lights down too, so by the end it's completely dark, and there's a loud thundering noise (has a name, starts with S, can't remember it now!), as the tearing of the veil in the temple, then we leave silently (or something resembling silence for those herding children).

The Church really knows how to make an emotional impact. Seeing the light go out Friday night, then seeing it come back Saturday night, it really drives the whole idea deeper than just reading/talking about it could. I wish these kinds of traditions were more common. I know the Easter Vigil Mass happens at every parish, but I think some of them do away with parts they think are unnecessary (the "smells & bells"), maybe not realizing why those things are necessary for our hearts & minds to really absorb it all. And I know Tenebrae is not at all common here - I grew up Catholic, and never heard of it until I was 30 when we got this new priest, and my mom never heard of it until last year when she came with us.

Wasn't the whole "Fish on Fridays" developed to help the starving Spanish? fisherman? Middle ages maybe? I'm getting old. I forget the lore on that one.

Almost. Catholics have fasted and abstained from meat on Fridays (often Wednesdays and Saturdays also - this survives in the observance of Ember Days) since the beginning, as we see in the Didache. Fish not being considered meat we inherited from Judaism.

The story that Some Pope started the custom of fish on Friday to help a nephew in the fishing industry (this is the version I usually hear) is a jumbled version of "Cecil's Fast." The English Reformation ended the practices of fast and abstinence, which hurt the fishing industry, which was hurting the Navy (which was closely linked to fishing) and was contributing to unemployment and piracy. Sir William Cecil, one of Elizabeth's advisors, introduced and got passed an act to ban meat on Fridays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and throughout Lent. This was very controversial at the time as being (to some) the reintroduction of evil popish practices; but today it's remembered only as a confused urban myth about Why Catholics Eat Fish.

I am so, so sorry my post came across...maybe...somewhat insincere? "Fake convert" is probably a terrible way to put it, but it's how I put it *to myself* at the time. I wanted to convert years before, but I took it SO seriously (as I think a person ought)--like a *marriage*--that I didn't feel like I could "sign on the dotted line" unless I was 100%. And time after time, when I looked for answers to the issues I had with the Church, I ran into walls with the people at different RCIA groups.

Catholicism is so different from the other Christian denominations I've had experience with...it requires a completely different way of life. It wants EVERYTHING. *whispering*: It wants into my bedroom. When I was Evangelical & I went to the grocery store, I looked like everyone else there. If a stranger started talking about religion, our beliefs were VERY likely to be close enough for polite conversation. If I got a divorce or used bc, that was mostly my business.

So it was like...I decided to force myself to be ok with giving it what I could instead of everything. This is very not like me, compromise. LOL And it turns out, I couldn't do it--hence not finishing RCIA in 2011/12. If the parish we're at now hadn't had such good books to read, there's NO WAY I would have made it through this year with all the chaos my life has been in, but instead? The doctrine of the Church, the Saints, the community--have given me the grace & strength to survive it.

************************************************************************************

I'd be hesitant to congratulate someone on a conversion story that sounded flippant or insincere, too, & I think I've "known" you long enough to understand your feelings--esp when you clarified below. And the joking comments? I'd probably have been able to tell more easily that they were jokes if they hadn't been interspersed with other comments that weren't joking. Between it all, I was genuinely confused & thought maybe I'd lost any ability to read internet-tone at all.

And I'm also sorry that there's any contention here in this thread. I was trying so hard to present my story in a neutral enough way that it would be appropriate for the boards as a whole--since I've come here for so many years with religious questions to the boards as a whole--that I think I clipped out too much of what was personal--the smooshy feelingness of it all. I mean, I feel SO gushy about Catholicism right now that I do try to tone it down, even for Catholic friends, but...maybe...you can't tell a conversion story w/out too much emotion? I mean...it's emotional.

((Unsinkable))

((Aubrey))

Thank you for the apology but it was unnecessary. You did nothing wrong by telling your story, and definitely not to me.

I thought we were OK and having a conversation in your thread. I did want to make sure that I was correct about your conversion not being "fake" anymore. I did not and do not see the problem in asking if was I right about your conversion now being real.

As for my other jokes, about worshipping the Pope, etc. I do that to deflect what I've seen happen too many times, both here and IRL. I felt badly when you got confused and so I apologized and stopped.

I did not post on the boards for almost a year and feel uncertain and odd upon coming back. My DD was very sick with uncontrolled seizures and was hospitalized many times. It hasn't been a smooth return for me. I hope yours is wonderful.

I wish the best for you and your kids and DH...all are welcome in this place...

We are planning to enter the church this year. I have never been to Easter Vigil. I really can't wait to go. I have a feeling I'm going to cry a good bit of the time. I can be a bit of an emotional person, plus these darn pregnancy hormones are working a number on me right now.

Robin

Bring a pocketful, most definitely.

I want to hear how everyone likes it!!

Well, it is on Good Friday evening, so maybe it is the same? There are 14? 16? candles behind the altar, and a series of prayers, songs & readings, and after each, one candle is snuffed, because the light of the world is going out. As the candles go out, someone switches the overhead lights down too, so by the end it's completely dark, and there's a loud thundering noise (has a name, starts with S, can't remember it now!), as the tearing of the veil in the temple, then we leave silently (or something resembling silence for those herding children).

The Church really knows how to make an emotional impact. Seeing the light go out Friday night, then seeing it come back Saturday night, it really drives the whole idea deeper than just reading/talking about it could. I wish these kinds of traditions were more common. I know the Easter Vigil Mass happens at every parish, but I think some of them do away with parts they think are unnecessary (the "smells & bells"), maybe not realizing why those things are necessary for our hearts & minds to really absorb it all. And I know Tenebrae is not at all common here - I grew up Catholic, and never heard of it until I was 30 when we got this new priest, and my mom never heard of it until last year when she came with us.

I'll have to ask, it was such a whirlwind week for us, I do forget some things. That does sound absolutely beautiful, though. If I remember correctly, we Do do something like that.

We have a very tradition loving NO parish, so I wouldn't be surprised.

"Strepitus" is the s-word for the loud noise at Tenebrae. We used to go to a Tenebrae service every Wednesday of Holy Week when we lived near a monastery that did it. I don't know of one around here but we are thinking of doing a version at home. Friday night is an even better time for it but our parish does the Passion service at night rather than the afternoon.

Almost. Catholics have fasted and abstained from meat on Fridays (often Wednesdays and Saturdays also - this survives in the observance of Ember Days) since the beginning, as we see in the Didache. Fish not being considered meat we inherited from Judaism.

The story that Some Pope started the custom of fish on Friday to help a nephew in the fishing industry (this is the version I usually hear) is a jumbled version of "Cecil's Fast." The English Reformation ended the practices of fast and abstinence, which hurt the fishing industry, which was hurting the Navy (which was closely linked to fishing) and was contributing to unemployment and piracy. Sir William Cecil, one of Elizabeth's advisors, introduced and got passed an act to ban meat on Fridays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and throughout Lent. This was very controversial at the time as being (to some) the reintroduction of evil popish practices; but today it's remembered only as a confused urban myth about Why Catholics Eat Fish.

Where have you been with this answer???!! I don't remember much of this story, clearly! But the 3 days a week rings a bell. But, I couldn't even remember that until you wrote it down. Thanks for clearing up my foggy memory (which might not have ever had all the details right anyways!)

Welcome, Aubrey! I read about your story here and found the other thread out of curiosity. I just thought it meant you weren't ready to convert before, and were testing the waters. I thought you sounded very sincere.

Thank you for sharing your journey. I am so happy for you and your family!!! Welcome home!

((Unsinkable))

I am glad you shared this. If it werent that we have close RC friends, I would not even consider trying anymore. My first try at RCIA was an eye-opening disappointment regarding 'the' mother parish in our area. So we ended up attending the other parish. But they were only offering adult confirmation in Spanish and frankly, after the interrogation on the phone before I even showed up to class made me reconsider. I guess its the up front people I am coming across in trying to get answers or even how, when to sign up for RCIA that is discouraging me. I feel like such a speck in the pews. In such a large parish how do you get attention of a priest?

I am glad you shared this. If it werent that we have close RC friends, I would not even consider trying anymore. My first try at RCIA was an eye-opening disappointment regarding 'the' mother parish in our area. So we ended up attending the other parish. But they were only offering adult confirmation in Spanish and frankly, after the interrogation on the phone before I even showed up to class made me reconsider. I guess its the up front people I am coming across in trying to get answers or even how, when to sign up for RCIA that is discouraging me. I feel like such a speck in the pews. In such a large parish how do you get attention of a priest?

:grouphug:

Call and make an appointment. You don't have to tell the secretary what you want to see him (or one of them) about. Just state that it is personal and you'll need about 30 minutes of his time.

So, I've got something neat and a question.

First, the neat. Today's service was nice and even had our priest discussing different religions - and not in a negative way. Oldest was floored and it helped heal a lot that she's heard at other churches. It was something we're not used to because in other churches we've been to, if they've discussed different religions it was not in a good way. She's coming closer and closer to not viewing all organized religion as a bad thing and I cannot express in words how happy that makes me.

Now, for the question. I noticed several people taking the bread but not the wine during the Eucharist. Why?

First, the neat. Today's service was nice and even had our priest discussing different religions - and not in a negative way. Oldest was floored and it helped heal a lot that she's heard at other churches. It was something we're not used to because in other churches we've been to, if they've discussed different religions it was not in a good way. She's coming closer and closer to not viewing all organized religion as a bad thing and I cannot express in words how happy that makes me.

Now, for the question. I noticed several people taking the bread but not the wine during the Eucharist. Why?

The neat: awesome! It's great that you're hearing good info from the priest, and that your dd is both listening and being helped.

The question: here it's mostly habit. Both contain the "body, blood, soul and divinity" of Jesus, fully on their own, so you're not missing out on anything by receiving under only one form. Some people have gluten or alcohol issues that make one or the other not okay for them, but for most people it's just habit.

Where have you been with this answer???!! I don't remember much of this story, clearly! But the 3 days a week rings a bell. But, I couldn't even remember that until you wrote it down. Thanks for clearing up my foggy memory (which might not have ever had all the details right anyways!)

My apologies - I'm trying to stay off the boards during the week this Lent, and already the hour approaches to go back to real life until next Sunday. God bless and be well. :)

Which way to receive the Blessed Sacrament varies regionally, and sometimes parish-to-parish. And it also just comes down to personal preference, sometimes. Both are "complete" ways to receive. As Violet Crown said, both are "body, blood, soul, and divinity." Some parishes who normally only do one will offer both on Holy Thursday.

You must have both hand free to receive the Precious Blood so if you are carrying a baby or coralling a child it's better to skip it. Incidentally, you are supposed to use two hands for receiving the bread as well but in this case you can receive on the tongue if your hands are full.

I had a season where I felt strongly that I should receive under both forms when the opportunity presented itself but I generally skip it these days just so I can get back to my pew with the little ones.

If I have a cold or something, I will abstain from receiving the Precious Blood. Also, when I had a squirmy baby or toddler in my arms I would usually receive just the Host.

As others have said, Jesus is fully present, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, under both forms.

Just wanted to share something that warmed my heart.

My best friend (in the entire world) is atheist. She doesn't celebrate lent, but she always remembers that we do. Today she came over and invited my dd11 to her daughter's birthday party/sleepover. She remembered that it was "close to Easter" and asked if Autumn needed a non-meat meal at the party. The heartwarming part is that I could tell how sincere she was about it. Although they aren't her beliefs, she NEVER belittles them - I can tell that her tolerance extends to her home because her children are bright and curious children - she never shushes them when they ask a question; in fact she often calls me to answer a question about Catholicism or Christianity that she can't answer. When my husband leaves on business trips, she has us over for dinner and always remembers "no meat on Fridays"... and never, ever appears put out by it (even though I would gladly bring a different dish).

Just thought I'd share in light of recent posts and some issues between us and others on the boards. She (my friend) is someone I proudly call my "best" and, despite our differences, we can talk about anything (including our beliefs and non beliefs). I wish everyone could be like her, lol.

Just wanted to share something that warmed my heart.

My best friend (in the entire world) is atheist. She doesn't celebrate lent, but she always remembers that we do. Today she came over and invited my dd11 to her daughter's birthday party/sleepover. She remembered that it was "close to Easter" and asked if Autumn needed a non-meat meal at the party. The heartwarming part is that I could tell how sincere she was about it. Although they aren't her beliefs, she NEVER belittles them - I can tell that her tolerance extends to her home because her children are bright and curious children - she never shushes them when they ask a question; in fact she often calls me to answer a question about Catholicism or Christianity that she can't answer. When my husband leaves on business trips, she has us over for dinner and always remembers "no meat on Fridays"... and never, ever appears put out by it (even though I would gladly bring a different dish).

Just thought I'd share in light of recent posts and some issues between us and others on the boards. She (my friend) is someone I proudly call my "best" and, despite our differences, we can talk about anything (including our beliefs and non beliefs). I wish everyone could be like her, lol.

What a wonderful friend!

If I wanted to read Hilaire Belloc, where should I start?

Something on the idea civilization and what that means for Westerners and non? I'm thinking Europe and the Faith?

I haven't read much Belloc but his book The Path to Rome is absolutely phenomenal! I can't believe it isn't a classic that everyone should read. I highly, highly recommend it.

Sharing a resource I found because of listening to Relevant Radio, a pdf file with an outline for Brant Pitre's pocast, Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist

http://www.brantpitre.com/

Exactly the info we need to share with friends that are on the verge of retiring from the protestant world into nothingness(homegroups?) because they have been so anti-catholic their whole lives and just cant see the fullness of the faith yet.

A quick follow up on Lent for us: as a family, the girls and I are reading the daily saint together and the daily Mass readings and discussing them. It has really been a nice focus to our day.

My 6th grader, who struggles some academically, is doing the Friendly Defender cards with me twice a week, and it is making a big difference for her. We read the card, and she tries to answer. Then we read the answer and look up the reference verses.

She is doing the OT this year for Bible history, so she is gaining context there. But many Catholic kids are just not familiar with the actual Bible. We use the missal at Church, and she knew the readings, but I think it is very important that we teach them how to look things up in the Bible. It is just a skill I grew up with as a protestant that I have had to intentionally teach my cradle Catholic kids.

Thanks! I don't have a Kindle, so I checked and it's available on iBooks for the iPad for free as well. It's $.99 on the Nook.

I should have noted that you can download the free Kindle app for Mac, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android, PC...did I miss any? I just assumed this was common knowledge--sorry! Glad to hear you can get it free on iBooks, too.

A quick follow up on Lent for us: as a family, the girls and I are reading the daily saint together and the daily Mass readings and discussing them. It has really been a nice focus to our day.

My 6th grader, who struggles some academically, is doing the Friendly Defender cards with me twice a week, and it is making a big difference for her. We read the card, and she tries to answer. Then we read the answer and look up the reference verses.

She is doing the OT this year for Bible history, so she is gaining context there. But many Catholic kids are just not familiar with the actual Bible. We use the missal at Church, and she knew the readings, but I think it is very important that we teach them how to look things up in the Bible. It is just a skill I grew up with as a protestant that I have had to intentionally teach my cradle Catholic kids.

What a great idea for using the Friendly Defender cards. I think I will start doing that with the boys. I completely agree with the need to be able to find things in the Bible. Using the cards seems like a very natural way of going about teaching them that skill.

What are you using for your 11 year old for studying the OT this year?

I am using Ignatius Press Image of God 6: God's Merciful Love.

http://www.ignatius.com/IProducts/23947/gods-merciful-love--grade-6-student-text.aspx

It is pretty good, but maybe more invloved in activities than I would choose. I do like it though. It relates well to the kids, and it is thorough. I know Seton just put one out too. I may look at that for my next dd.

I haven't read much Belloc but his book The Path to Rome is absolutely phenomenal! I can't believe it isn't a classic that everyone should read. I highly, highly recommend it.

Thank you!

And it's free for Kindle:

http://www.amazon.co...he path to rome

:001_smile:

You can't beat free!

Sharing a resource I found because of listening to Relevant Radio, a pdf file with an outline for Brant Pitre's pocast, Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist

Exactly the info we need to share with friends that are on the verge of retiring from the protestant world into nothingness(homegroups?) because they have been so anti-catholic their whole lives and just cant see the fullness of the faith yet.

Brant Pitre is amazing. I love that book. He also speaks in free audio at Scott Hahn's site www.salvationhistory.com.

http://www.salvation...pel_of_matthew2

These look amazing.

I am using Ignatius Press Image of God 6: God's Merciful Love.

http://www.ignatius....udent-text.aspx

It is pretty good, but maybe more invloved in activities than I would choose. I do like it though. It relates well to the kids, and it is thorough. I know Seton just put one out too. I may look at that for my next dd.

We're using Seton's OT bible history this year (the new one). It's good - though dull for her taste.

You said the Image of God is involved in activities - does that mean it has some hands on?

I love Brant Pitre! I have that talk on audio and my friend bought the book by the same title, which she says is excellent. She used it with her daughter as part of her religion in 9th or 10th grade.

I am staying offline more often for Lent, but I wanted to pop in here and say thanks for directing me to this thread and the eventual social group. I am in the midst of exploring things right now, but I am a Cradle Catholic and cultural Italian Catholic that grew up in the 1980s happy lovey dovey CCD. Consequently, I feel as though I actually didn't learn too much other than a few basics. I am a first generation American on my father's side, so we did do a lot of things that were things my family apparently did in Italy that were intrinsically Catholic. My grandmother and father really didn't go to Mass much, but they followed everything else and said the Rosary. It's kind of weird in retrospect. My husband was raised without religion in his life other than basic Christianity. His mom went to Catholic schools but didn't practice, his dad went to vacation bible school randomly without a particular attachment to religion.

You can see where I have some struggles going on here! I am looking forward to exploring the thread so it might help my thoughts.