Menu

My neighbor makes odd animal noises

Elinor Everywhere

This neighbor is directly behind me, and we share a common wall. He isn't a "problem" neighbor per se; we've had a talk or two about his yappy dog, but that's it. Here's what I know:

- he meows, gobbles like a turkey, crows like a rooster, and makes other assorted sounds

- he is in his early 60s (I'm guessing here)

- he's married

- he's lived in the house for at least 15-20 years, and they raised their son there (who was a J.D. at one point, but now he's in his 20s and hopefully has cleaned up his act)

- I've seen his garage when his door is up and it is SPOTLESS. You could seriously eat in there.

- he keeps to himself and doesn't talk to the neighbors on either side of him

He isn't bothering me, but we do kind of look at each other with raised eyebrows when we hear him. Do you think he has something akin to Tourette's or something like that? We, and our dog, are simply curious.

ETA: He does all this in the back yard (we have small lots in our neighborhood).

My grandfather has dementia, and is way more jovial than he ever was before. But he does make weird animal noises, he barks both at my dog and to himself when she isn't around. But he also makes bird noises, horse whinnies, and other animal "calls" sometimes in response to seeing a picture of the animal or the animal itself, and sometimes just because

If your neighbor is in his 60 s I might consider it a possibility :(

My grandfather has dementia, and is way more jovial than he ever was before. But he does make weird animal noises, he barks both at my dog and to himself when she isn't around. But he also makes bird noises, horse whinnies, and other animal "calls" sometimes in response to seeing a picture of the animal or the animal itself, and sometimes just because

If your neighbor is in his 60 s I might consider it a possibility :(

Hmmm, that could make sense. Even if he's in his late 50s he could have early-onset.

My Dad used to play his guitar and "sing" in animal noises all the time to us kids when we were little. Now he does it for the grandkids. He will also bark at dogs if they are barking when we walk past. Does this make him strange? LOL Or maybe it's grabbing you by the hand, walking like an ape and making wild ape calls IN PUBLIC while he drags you around that might make him strange? :laugh: All I know is that I do NOT embarrass easily as a result of growing up with the Dad I have.

Are you sure he's not doing it while he's on the phone with his grandchildren or something? (Just trying to find a way to avoid getting the guy a one-way ticket on the Crazy Train.)

And as someone else said, could the guy's career involve voiceover work for cartoon characters?

Or maybe he's just a wackadoodle. ;)

Sooooo. I gotta ask....

Do you meow, crow, and such back?

Because I gotta admit...

I would totally make a noise right back.

Yk. Just to see what happens next.

Maybe he is trying to open a magical portal or something. Or commune with the squirrels.

I just want to help the adventure along.

Hahaha, right now I'm voting for the wackadoodle. :laugh:

We've surreptitiously peeped over the wall (we are at a higher elevation so this is not difficult), and he's not on the phone, nor is anyone ever in the yard with him. I don't know if he's a nice guy because he won't really talk to anyone. When we walked over one year to complain about his yapping dog he and his wife hid and pretended like they weren't home. Their son finally got up and came to the door, a bit apologetic that his parents would't come (they heard us).

Today I was reading on the back patio and he was out there gobbling away. My dog finds the whole thing extremely interesting. :tongue_smilie:

Sooooo. I gotta ask....

Do you meow, crow, and such back?

Because I gotta admit...

I would totally make a noise right back.

Yk. Just to see what happens next.

Maybe he is trying to open a magical portal or something. Or commune with the squirrels.

I just want to help the adventure along.

Hahaha, yes, I am SO tempted to do this!! Especially the meowing....I'm good at that. :p

On my screen right now, this thread is followed immediately by Remudamom's "Gah, gah, gah....mil" thread. For some reason, this has caused me to have a terrible case of the giggles! :smilielol5:

I think part of my giggle-fit is the fact that my father (a man in his 60's) has been known to stand in the meat section of the grocery store and use his turkey call (one that is kept on your tongue, so that no one can see where the noise is coming from.) He's perfectly sane, really! It's just one of his favorite Thanksgiving pranks!

Wait, seriously?? Who would have that?

I would! I've always wanted one, but have so far held off because other members of my family are somewhat more sociable than I am. I really don't like random people coming to the door. I figure that anyone I actually wanted to have over would know me well enough to get my sense of humour. When I am an old lady, I am so getting a "Go Away!" doormat - much more my style than a red hat. :D

On my screen right now, this thread is followed immediately by Remudamom's "Gah, gah, gah....mil" thread. For some reason, this has caused me to have a terrible case of the giggles! :smilielol5:

I think part of my giggle-fit is the fact that my father (a man in his 60's) has been known to stand in the meat section of the grocery store and use his turkey call (one that is kept on your tongue, so that no one can see where the noise is coming from.) He's perfectly sane, really! It's just one of his favorite Thanksgiving pranks!

:lol: :lol:

I would! I've always wanted one, but have so far held off because other members of my family are somewhat more sociable than I am. I really don't like random people coming to the door. I figure that anyone I actually wanted to have over would know me well enough to get my sense of humour. When I am an old lady, I am so getting a "Go Away!" doormat - much more my style than a red hat. :D

This is so funny to me!!! I hope you live next door...I'm gonna come calling. :D Just kidding - I really don't socialize all that much myself. With my neighbors, I mean. :)

Maybe he is a bird caller. Have you ever seen the bird callers that Letterman has on his show every year? It cracks me up to watch them making those sounds. From the interviews, it seems like they work pretty hard on learning different calls.

But the meows? Barking? I think he's a bit of a nut job, but he seems harmless. :)

Maybe he is trying to attract animals? Maybe he is practicing for some sort of entertainment program? My husband used to make animal sounds to entertain our kids.

I'd rather have an animal voice impersonator anyday over a crotchety or nosy neighbor.

I completely agree!

My neighbor has been doing this for about 3 years now (at least), and there is never anyone around. Odd, but not annoying because it only lasts a few minutes or less.

I make animal noises. My turkey is especially good, and I like my noises. I tend to do it if I haven't spoken in some time.

My father meowed at my mother to express affection, and to say hello and goodbye. My mother was especially fond of cats.

However, this was/is all indoors and I don't think the neighbors know/knew.

Today I was reading on the back patio and he was out there gobbling away. My dog finds the whole thing extremely interesting. :tongue_smilie:

Hummmm, he may be doing it for your dog. When I'm stuck in traffic and I see a dog in a car, I make animal noises just to give the bored mutt a thrill. I also love to make non-lip-moving mews when a cat is around. Girl cats will run right up my chest and start sniffing my face.

Speaking of hummmmm, did you know if you hum very deeply in a public bathroom with those metal stall dividers you can get some to resonate?

Hummmm, he may be doing it for your dog. When I'm stuck in traffic and I see a dog in a car, I make animal noises just to give the bored mutt a thrill. I also love to make non-lip-moving mews when a cat is around. Girl cats will run right up my chest and start sniffing my face.

Speaking of hummmmm, did you know if you hum very deeply in a public bathroom with those metal stall dividers you can get some to resonate?

You are very fascinating! I wish you lived in my neighborhood. I do!! :lol:

The thing is, we've only had the dog for 1 year, and the guy has been doing the noises for at least 3. And I swear, there is no one around him when he does it. No wife, no kids, no stranger walking down the street, no animal. Just the guy in his small backyard. That's why I can't figure it out. He can't be doing it as a joke, because he has no idea we are in our yard or patio most of the time, and there is nobody else to see. Unless he's just cracking himself up, and that I can get. :D

People with Tourette Syndrome often have vocal tics and OCD. The spotless garage would make me think OCD.

This was my first thought, as well. I've always wondered if he goes outside in the backyard to do it because it annoys his wife? Or something?

My friend's husband is OCD, and her child has Tourette's. Hmmmm.

I would be more weirded out by the spotless garage than the animal noises. I mean, obviously there are plenty of legit reasons to be making animal noises in one's backyard. But a spotless garage? Nothing good ever came of such a thing.

Terri

My dh only wishes I would keep a spotless garage. Or kitchen!! :lol:

Wait, seriously?? Who would have that?

Ha. I would. we get so many solicitors in my neighborhood I finally put up a sign that says, "no solicitors." They ignore it. I answer the door, put one hand on my hip and point to the sign with "THE MOMMY LOOK." They still try. I stand there and shake my head. Finally they go away.

I would be more weirded out by the spotless garage than the animal noises. I mean, obviously there are plenty of legit reasons to be making animal noises in one's backyard. But a spotless garage? Nothing good ever came of such a thing.

Terri

I wonder if while I'm seeing all the messed up, piled up garages of my neighbors and thinking, "They must have some kind of hoarder or ADHD or I wonder what issue." - they are seeing my cleaned out once a month, clean enough to park a car in garage (tho we don't) and wondering if I have OCD? ;p