Menu

New chat board!!!

Folks,

For at least the last year, the General board has moved so fast that discussions often disappear into the third or fourth page of topics before they've had a chance to be seen--particularly if they're on more serious matters that take time and thought to respond to. We've thought for some time that it would be a good idea to have a board just for chatting, so that education-related threads on the General board don't get buried so quickly.

Here's the old definition of the General board...

"For general questions about classical education methods, teaching techniques, readiness, supplemental activities, field trips, assessments, frustrations, online resources, etc. or just for hanging out and chatting!"

We'd like to move the "hanging out and chatting" threads over to our brand-new Chat Board in the Lounge area, and keep this General board for the rest.

We won't move topics at the moment--we'll give you a couple of days to start new chat topics on the Chat Board instead of here. (Then we'll probably start reassigning general chit-chat to the other board if it pops up here.)

Give the new arrangement a chance to work out...and we'll see how it goes!

SWB

Hanging out and chatting in the new chat forum sounds good!

What will be the focus of the general board then? I'm not following it.....more detailed info?!?!?! Thanks.

"For general questions about classical education methods, teaching techniques, readiness, supplemental activities, field trips, assessments, frustrations, online resources, etc."

I'm game! But please help me understand what differentiates the new General Board from the K-8 board. Isn't the new General Board just asking for the same stuff we usually post on K-8 (or high school)? I thought we just always put the more "educational" topics on either K-8 or High School (depending on age) and the "Off Topic" (not educational) stuff on the General Board.

Just want to make sure I separate out the right stuff now between K-8 and General.

I'm game! But please help me understand what differentiates the new General Board from the K-8 board. Isn't the new General Board just asking for the same stuff we usually post on K-8 (or high school)? I thought we just always put the more "educational" topics on either K-8 or High School (depending on age) and the "Off Topic" (not educational) stuff on the General Board.Just want to make sure I separate out the right stuff now between K-8 and General.

I think adding the Chat board makes it so the new boards can sort of readopt the 2000s guidelines, which were, generally,

General Board: general hs topics (field trips, scheduling, behavioral issues related to schooling, etc)

K-8: CURRICULA issues related to K-8

High School: CURRICULA issues related to high school

The new Chat board would be for all non-schooling related conversations. In the old days, these threads were on the General board, but with an OT: flag in the subject line. Back then, they were much less of an issue, and they were sort of frowned upon to some degree.

BTW, I think this is an AWESOME move. THANKS!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...