Menu

Help with a (mostly) non-talking 2 yr old.

Punchie

I need help with what to do with my toddler. I know the most common answer is to play or to let them be kids, but I'm not good at coming up with ideas on the fly. I need to have a list of things to choose from. DH thinks I should start doing school with her - highly informally - but to dedicate time strictly to her and work on basic concepts in a fun way.

I think I've been selling her short b/c she doesn't really talk. She is in speech therapy, but I think she's one of those kids who just doesn't see it as worth the effort when she can effectively communicate as is. She's pretty much a normal child other than the talking issue. I tell myself that I'll sit down with her once she can talk b/c she can't learn until she can talk - completely stupid and erroneous, but that's been my thought process.

What can I do to play school with her? I need concrete ideas, lists, something that gives me the basics of what to do. I don't want formal, I just want, "here's a fun game idea to help teach/reinforce X". She knows her colors, most of her shapes, some of her letters, and can follow a short story by pointing to the picture that shows the outcome (I discovered this during all of the testing she went through in the past sev wks to see if she still qualified for services). If you ask her to name the object/concept, 90% of the time she can't/won't, but if you ask her to show you X, she gets it right 90% of the time.

I have this game, that I need to break out and play with her.

Would any of the Kumon books be worth looking at?

I know this is a very simple thing to solve, it's just that I am one of those people who cannot operate without a pre-created outline.

My son didn't talk until he was three. At age two I did starfall.com with him, read books, listened to music, and let him play with blocks, playdoh, trucks, bead mazes, and just about anything else. I talked to him constantly, telling him everything I was doing. At two a workbook mst likely not work. Allow her to color and scribble, she most likely not be able to write for a while.

Give her board books to look at, play audiobooks in the car, when she's playing, and before she goes to sleep. I tell you, having her listening to books is one of the best things you can do.

I cant answer the "what to do with a 2 Yo" question, but for my son who needs a lot of sensory stuff, I keep a board on Pinterest full of ideas and have ingredients on hand. I'm not very go with the flow or creative wih educational stuff, but its a nice compromise I think. I just pull up my pins, look at what I have on hand, how much time and mess is involved etc.

I know you said nothing "formal," but perhaps they might get your brain spining with ideas.

teachmejoy.com and Floweringbaby.com both have paid "curriculm," but they also have samples to get the ball rolling

Brightly Beaming is an awesome free resource.

I too need some good structure.

I used what I found there and came up with 10 topics(letters, music, etc) then tweked them to get about 30 variants (look at letter page in picture dictionary, make letter with play dough, color animal of letter; Sing nursry rhyme, listen to "insert type" music, dance to music) I wrote those 30 ideas on index cards. Do a few a day, add more cards as you feel like it, but don't devote your resources to making ideas(like I have issues with), rather spend more time using the cards.

My nearly 2 year old is not really talking either and it has also meant I am slower doing things with her than I was with my older child, but I have found that sitting down and playing with her one on one does help the speech a fair amount. At this age I just get out a particular toy and play with her or bring out the art supplies and let her scribble or paint. We have started doing some basic puzzles together and she does www.starfall.com - just the letter section. I also read to her and try to have a session of reading totally apart from what I read to my elder child. If she happens to like drawing or worksheets you can try the tot time printables at www.1plus1plus1equals1.com (go to the blog and then the tot printables) - and if you browse the tot school blog posts you will find a lot of ideas of other things to do with 2 year olds.

I'd look around the house and find what games you have to play with her, talk to her all the time, read to her as much as you can and let her draw and that would be enough.

I find young kids, including those who aren't speaking much, often enjoy listening to and eventually singing those easy, repetitive happy songs. Raffi songs are always winners. I think it's fun and easy to add this in, and WAY less annoying to repeat yourself a million times when you sing.

I think the best thing for her at this age would be to read to her a lot. Get interesting picture books from the library. Even if she can't talk, she may be picking up language skills. My kids never talk before age 2 (middle son who actually has a speech problem talked at 3). My oldest started reading letters at the same time he started talking. He was soaking things in. ;) (he's a perfectionist and tended not to do anything until he could do it perfectly, so he wouldn't talk until he knew he could say the sounds correctly).

It sounds like she's on target or ahead for a 2 year old, so I don't think you need to do anything Ă¢â‚¬schoolĂ¢â‚¬ wise beyond reading to her, involving her in everything you do (from cooking to cleaning), and talking to her as you do things.

When people say let them play, they mean let them play - not you directing their play. Undirected play is excellent for a child's mental development. Let them entertain themselves without electronic toys that play for them. That's when they'll take a cardboard box and make a space ship out of it. ;) Of course, at age 2, the pretend play may not be there as much. I can't remember what age that typically starts.

My son also didn't start talking until 2. He wouldn't even stop moving for me to read board books to him. If you're looking for something formal, have you seen the preschool items from My Father's World? http://www.mfwbooks....50/10Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½ They have a package for 2-3 yros and a package for 4-5 yros. You could just buy Lauri's toys on your own, too.There's also Mudpies and Magnets. http://www.amazon.co...magnetsĂ¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½ My 5 yro is using More Mudpies and Magnets this year. It has really simple experiments and projects about nature. We made an earthworm habitat the other day - with a jar, soil and taped black paper around the jar.

I think the best thing for her at this age would be to read to her a lot. Get interesting picture books from the library. Even if she can't talk, she may be picking up language skills. My kids never talk before age 2 (middle son who actually has a speech problem talked at 3). My oldest started reading letters at the same time he started talking. He was soaking things in. ;) (he's a perfectionist and tended not to do anything until he could do it perfectly, so he wouldn't talk until he knew he could say the sounds correctly).

It sounds like she's on target or ahead for a 2 year old, so I don't think you need to do anything Ă¢â‚¬schoolĂ¢â‚¬ wise beyond reading to her, involving her in everything you do (from cooking to cleaning), and talking to her as you do things.

When people say let them play, they mean let them play - not you directing their play. Undirected play is excellent for a child's mental development. Let them entertain themselves without electronic toys that play for them. That's when they'll take a cardboard box and make a space ship out of it. ;) Of course, at age 2, the pretend play may not be there as much. I can't remember what age that typically starts.

We already read extensively (she can sit for 2+ hours straight for reading), and I'll bring out play dough, moon sand, and paints for her to use when we're at the table. She also does imaginative play w/DD6 like making things in the kitchen, building forts out of couch cushions, and playing w/baby dolls, blocks and playmobil. When I cook and bake, she'll help me pour in the indredients. We also have a water table that I need to dig out of the garage.

I know you said nothing "formal," but perhaps they might get your brain spining with ideas.

teachmejoy.com and Floweringbaby.com both have paid "curriculm," but they also have samples to get the ball rolling

Brightly Beaming is an awesome free resource.

I too need some good structure.

I used what I found there and came up with 10 topics(letters, music, etc) then tweked them to get about 30 variants (look at letter page in picture dictionary, make letter with play dough, color animal of letter; Sing nursry rhyme, listen to "insert type" music, dance to music) I wrote those 30 ideas on index cards. Do a few a day, add more cards as you feel like it, but don't devote your resources to making ideas(like I have issues with), rather spend more time using the cards.

Yes!! You sound like me! If I don't have a very prominently posted list, it won't get done. I love the index cards. I was also thinking of creating a board similar to what I use for DD6 to make sure our subjects get done. I could make categories for shapes, numbers, songs, etc... I need to carve out some time to spend with DD2 one on one. She desperately needs it.

I will take a look at those sites for ideas, thank you!

I would ask her SLP. Reading picture books, helping her build her fine motor, playing with developmentally appropriate toys. There are so many math and phonic related toys out there and great board books.

Her therapist gave me some ideas for iPad apps, which have been useful in helping her with shapes. I also talked to her about montessori. DD2 is on the waiting list for our local montessori pre-school. I think she would do well with the problem-solving, hands-on aspects of it.

I find young kids, including those who aren't speaking much, often enjoy listening to and eventually singing those easy, repetitive happy songs. Raffi songs are always winners. I think it's fun and easy to add this in, and WAY less annoying to repeat yourself a million times when you sing.

She loves songs/singing. I have some Laurie Berkner cds on her Christmas list. I'll have to add Raffi as well. She watches/listens to a lof of They Might Be Giants.

Pretty much the entirety of DD's day in free-play. I just need to find things to do one on one with her b/c I don't spend enough time with her. And she loves to learn. I stayed up way too late last night looking on amazon and a few other sites for ideas of things to do with her.

I'd second the suggest to read aloud to him. Mine are all late talkers :glare: & they've enjoyed books with animals where I make the sounds. (I make them to go along with books like Are You My Mother by P.D. Eastman).

Mine have also liked puzzles at that age. Definitely let her color alongside you & older sis. (I just have to be sure to get the markers/crayons back after our session. Oy! Our walls!)

My 2 year old twins are speech delayed too. Well one just "graduated" but my DD is still in speech. They are 28 months.

I recently put together busy bags, I got all the ideas from Pinterest. So far their favorite is the pasta stringing. I dyed the pasta with food coloring, they string it onto yarn.

I also bought the first set of bob books, and printed out some activities to go with them. They haven't done them yet, idk how that will go. They ask to do school with their brother, so I just print out random work sheets for them to scribble on.

I also ordered some abc stamps from amazon yesterday, they love letters, hopefully that buys me 5 minutes of time to school their bro.

For starters, the game you have is awesome!!!! You will love it!!

We have early walkers, late talkers in our family. Younger dd will be 2 tomorrow, and she says a dozen words maximum...and most of those are sounds (beep, hiss, etc). Older dd only said 4 words at age 2.

Things we did:

1) Letter of the Week -- but we have realistic expectations of what a non-verbal 2yo can do. Lots of coloring and crafts, and daily review (about 5minutes) of the weekly poster. Our house is crowded, so I would store the poster behind the couch at night, and hang it in front of the tv during the day.

2) My Sound Box books by Jane Belk Moncure -- Any decent library should have a copy of these books. We read one each week combined with the curriculum above. Make the sound, and ask your child to make the same sound whenever you turn a page. If you are reading the M book, before you turn the page, say, "Mmmmmmmm. [child's name] says Mmmmmmmmmm?"

3) Halfway through the year, I made CVC (consonant vowel consonant) flashcards for the refrigerator. Every week, I put one or two on the fridge, and I asked her to make a new word on the fridge with magnet letters in the minutes before lunch. During lunch, we reviewed the words we had done before. Leapfrog has the best magnet letters.

Gotta go. Todder is creating chaos!

Don't discount just following HER lead. Play beside and with her. Go to her play kitchen and let her lead you thru her baking/baby doll/dress up play.

Get out the paint and finger paint with her. Pick up a coloring book and ask her if she wants to join you coloring (I like blank paper, myself). Make a big mound of homemade playdough, sit at the table, and play with your share while she plays with her. Talk, listen, ask questions, but don't lead or teach, just for a small part of the day. Allow yourself to be a kid and enjoy the things you have for her. You'll be modeling, you'll be "teaching," but mostly, you'll be building relationship, and that will help her talk and go far to help her when things get more formal.

Ooh yeah, Leap Frog DVDs and those letter things are great! We did some store bought workbooks at that age as well. Nothing formal. But maybe you would like something like http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/joyful_learning.html or http://totallytots.blogspot.com/ . I didn't find these until mine were a little older.

But be encouraged, every time you talk to her, read to her, play with her...she is learning! And 2 years old is not necessarily delayed for speech. My 2nd was a late talker as well, but when he was ready, it was like a switch was flipped. Each kid has their own time to do things.

I haven't read closely but do you sign with her? Signing changed our life. Read well trained mind the preschool years. She is inspiring.

I've thought about signing, but haven't ever done it. She can sign "more", but that's it. What would be a good resource?

I recently put together busy bags, I got all the ideas from Pinterest. So far their favorite is the pasta stringing. I dyed the pasta with food coloring, they string it onto yarn.

I also ordered some abc stamps from amazon yesterday, they love letters, hopefully that buys me 5 minutes of time to school their bro.

Did you do anything special when you dyed the pasts? Vinegar or a rinse?

She likes stamps and inkpads, so I might have to get some for her.

When we started speech therapy for my ds two years ago, the very first thing the SLP said to do was to put up EVERYTHING. You said she doesn't see it as worth her while to make the effort to speak because she can get what she wants anyway, and you're RIGHT. From that point on EVERYTHING in our house required verbal acknowledgement. You want a glass of milk? Say /a/! You want to play playmobil? Say /a/. Pick you up to eat? Say /a/. What color do you want to use next in fingerpaint? Point and say /a/.

Seriously, that's the first step. Then you pick your toys and activities based on your ability to integrate that language work. Anything Melissa and Doug is good. Just literally go into Kohls or ToysRUs and buy. Felt sandwhiches, fingerpaint, racing cars (oops, for boys), stacking blocks. Your dd's long attention span is phenomenal. That's how my dd was. Now I have a boy, lol. He goes from son up to son down. ;) Anyways, hehe, I suggest you just go through ToysRUs and buy things. What *I* do is I buy a toy, take it to therapy where the SLP uses it with him during the session, then I bring it home and use that same type of language with him. That way I'm learning how to play with him and how to use the toys to build speech.

Games with turn-taking are good. Who goes next? Mommy? What does Mommy need to do? You take those steps and language routines down to their level. When she has only a sound, she makes that sound to get to spin. You require verbal output for the game to happen. No talking, game stops. My ds LOVES the Richard Scarry games. There's Busytown and Busy Airport. We've used both of them in speech on and off for a couple years. Lots of language in them and lots of ways to simplify or kick it up.

We have the MFW preschool cards, and they're definitely good. Again though, it's not what you do but how you use it. Require her to use whatever she has (a sound, a syllable, a word) to make the play happen.

Beyond that, I would get what she likes. Take her to ToysRUs (but don't buy anything that day, lol, that would open up a pandora's box) and just see what she is drawn to. Walk the aisles and make notes. My ds is very kinesthetic, so most of our games involve movement. Your dd might like things that are intricate like the doll house with the small mice they sell or Polly Pockets. You buy it, put it all in a box, and it only comes out when you work on speech. Which dress do you want? Sign yellow or pink. Want shoes? Say /a/. Hold the pieces back and provide them to her one by one as she uses her words or sounds.

And yes, sign and speech are interchangeable. Both are language, and signing work would be VERY worthwhile to you on a lot of levels. Our therapist used sign with him interchangeably during the ST sessions for quite a while. When she *initiates* sign, then you'll know you've got something going. It's definitely worth doing. We used Signing Time videos. Your library should have them, or I bought the entire set on amazon surprisingly affordably at the time.

BTW, not that you asked, but PROMPT is the most effective therapy for apraxia. You might check into it. We also take flax oil, and other people use fish. Makes a big difference for us.

We try to get her to say the word, or part of the word, when she wants something. Sometimes it works, and sometimes she throws herself on the ground in a tantrum. A lot of times, she makes sound in the back of her throat kind of like "ng". Her vocabulary has increased significantly. She used to say only "mama", and now says about 50 words. She had a burst when my dad and step-mom visited a few months ago. I think b/c they couldn't understand her and that forced to to use more words.

I will have to check out the Signing Time DVDs. It looks like our library system has them.

I bought some toys for her last night - stamp pads, stamps, lacing beads/laces, buttons, the Brain Quest cards for 2-3 (DD6 loved them), and some cards I saw on a montessori site that can be used for grouping. I think I might buy the Big Red Letter Book and the Big Blue Number Book from that same site as well.

I will also check out PROMPT. One of the evaluators said we should have her SPT check her tongue since she had a little bit of trouble mimicing tongue movements. She thought there's a possibility that could be tied to her speech issues.

For signing I thought of fun or useful signs and then looked them up online. I simplified ones that were too difficult. My daughter came up with some.

Its been a long while but off the top of my head---

dirty

mad

beautiful

all animals (dog, cat, horse...)

bath

milk

colors (blue, red...)

listen

focus

careful

thank you/ please

wait

be patient

Introduce slowly as needed. My daughter loved signing. It changed our life. BE prepared for people to let you know how you are ruining her chances of ever talking though. You'll need a thick skin.

Definitely start signing with her. I suggest getting and reading the original Babysigns book. It leaves out all the bells and whistles of other programs and gets into the nitty gritty of brain development and speech and also gives details on how to do it---no DVDs required. It really helps alleviate their frustration. Also my oldest was a late talker, what really helped him was adding a daily omega 3 supplement. We gave him flaxseed oil, but any omega (DHA/EPA etc) would work. Norton naturals makes several good ones.

For speech problems with toddlers---signing and dietary supplements and changes are key imho. I only used the book above and every time I read a book or talked to my child I would use the sign---every time. They eventually picked it up.

Have you ever seen the book Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready? I also found The Toddler Busy Book useful.

It's mostly all stuff you could dream up... If you didn't have three kids and your creativity wasn't zapped. ;) Sometimes it's just nice to have a book, even if the activities are a bit duh.

Yes and also good for that age is The Fun With Mommy&Me book. Mudpies To Magnets, Everybody has a Body, Growing Growing Strong, Peak With Books, Earthways, The Little Hands Art book, Oak Meadow Preschool and Kindergarten---all of those are great for that age as well.

Also The Out Of Sync Child Has Fun is great for any child, not just those with dx'ed sensory issues.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for and I didn't have time to read all of the responses so please forgive me if this is a repeat. With both of my boys (ages 2 & 5), we did sign language from 6 mo and up. Sign language helps children who don't yet have the developmental skills to formulate words communicate (they can sign at a very early age). It also helps them understand language skills. Signing helps children learn to speak sooner due to the understanding they develop through sign language. I find the "Signing Time" videos helpful for teaching young ones sign language. It's fun for us to learn too ;).

Sign language helps children who don't yet have the developmental skills to formulate words communicate (they can sign at a very early age).

Sorry to nitpick, but late talking is often *apraxia* which is motor control, not a developmental delay. It's why it needs therapy, not just waiting, because it's not a developmental delay. So yes, ASL helps the communicative intent of the child come out when the motor control of speech is holding him back. Typically a dc will have expressive and receptive language that are about equal, including in a developmental delay. With late talkers, what you more commonly have is a child with excellent receptive language and an "expressive delay" as they sloppily put it, or more accurately motor control problems (praxis, apraxia). Late talking isn't a developmental delay.

Like I said, nitpicky, but it bugs me. My ds is not developmentally delayed. Back to your regular programming, lol.

Sorry to nitpick, but late talking is often *apraxia* which is motor control, not a developmental delay. It's why it needs therapy, not just waiting, because it's not a developmental delay. So yes, ASL helps the communicative intent of the child come out when the motor control of speech is holding him back. Typically a dc will have expressive and receptive language that are about equal, including in a developmental delay. With late talkers, what you more commonly have is a child with excellent receptive language and an "expressive delay" as they sloppily put it, or more accurately motor control problems (praxis, apraxia). Late talking isn't a developmental delay.

Like I said, nitpicky, but it bugs me. My ds is not developmentally delayed. Back to your regular programming, lol.

I didn't mean that your child is developmentally delayed. I'm sorry if it came across that way. What I meant was that it helps with develpmental skills in general...not delays. When they can't use the motor skills needed to speak (ie, a 1 y/o, etc., not developmentally delayed) they are able to use their hands to speak...that's what I meant. It helped both of my kids develop language skills (I believe earlier than they would have had we not done sign language). I did not assume that your child had developmental delays. Again, I'm truly sorry if it came across that way.

OhElizabeth, I found that information useful as well as interesting. Thanks for taking the time to get it out here.

To the OP, I've been looking at Timberdoodle's stuff for the littler ones. This isn't addressing the delayed speech, but just the general toddlerness.

Definitely start signing with her. I suggest getting and reading the original Babysigns book. It leaves out all the bells and whistles of other programs and gets into the nitty gritty of brain development and speech and also gives details on how to do it---no DVDs required. It really helps alleviate their frustration. Also my oldest was a late talker, what really helped him was adding a daily omega 3 supplement. We gave him flaxseed oil, but any omega (DHA/EPA etc) would work. Norton naturals makes several good ones.

For speech problems with toddlers---signing and dietary supplements and changes are key imho. I only used the book above and every time I read a book or talked to my child I would use the sign---every time. They eventually picked it up.

What exactly does the DHA do?

Have you ever seen the book Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready? I also found The Toddler Busy Book useful.

It's mostly all stuff you could dream up... If you didn't have three kids and your creativity wasn't zapped. ;) Sometimes it's just nice to have a book, even if the activities are a bit duh.

I bought the Preschooler Busy Book on Amazon, so it should arrive sometime this week. I'm sure it has things I could thing of myself, but it's nice to have it laid out in front of me. Our library system doesn't have Slow and Steady, unfortunately.

Fatty acids are necessary for brain development. EVERYONE should be taking them. There isn't enough in our food anymore. Even on the healthiest diet possible people are going to miss them.

omegas help with speech, eye contact, behavior, learning, sensory issues etc. Not to be used alone, but along with SLP and any other therapy a child may need. I started giving them to my ds daily after he turned 2 and was still not talking enough and within the week he started stringing words together into phrases then sentences and reciting ABCs etc.

Even now I notice a difference in my children's overall behavior and ability when we are out of supplements.

It will help, trust me. Nothing about them will hurt. They're necessary for brain growth and development. That's why they have begun adding them to formula etc.

just choose your method of getting them---fish oil from a reputable company, like Norton Naturals or Carlson's or flax seed oil.

The body is supposed to convert omega 3 to dha (what the brain uses to make connections). Apraxia is a connection issue, getting motor control to connect from the brain to the muscles. The good fats help make those connections. You can eat fish, take fish oil, take flax oil, etc. Everybody has their preferred formula or mix. My ds gets fussy with some of them, so I just give him flax oil. Even now, 2 years later, there's a dramatic difference between him on the flax oil and off. It doesn't eliminate the need for the speech therapy, but it lets the speech therapy work. When he takes his oil, he's more able to get in an DO the things she's trying to get him to do. It just makes everything connect better.

There's an apraxia kids yahoo group where some other things get mentioned (Nutriveyda, etc.). Diet can definitely help.

Ooo, we have the preschooler and toddler busybooks! They're fun! Age 2 is right on the line where ds crossed over from the toddler to preschooler book. It's very open and go, as you say. :)

Omega-3 vs DHA --> Is one better than the other?

I put Nordic Naturals Children's DHA (liquid) in my Amazon cart. With 3 kids, that seems to be the most cost effective. Out of curiosity, how long would it take for me to notice changes once we've started the supplement?

Is the apraxia yahoo group childrensapraxianet? I will ask DD's SPT about apraxia when I see her on Wednesday.

I think the one you mentioned is pretty common. Start with one bottle obviously, to see what it does for you. You have to keep it refrigerated, and TASTE with fish oil is a huge issue.

Yes, that's the yahoo group. It's kind of a hodgepodge. I used to read there.

Some SLPs won't diagnose apraxia or don't know how to recognize it. They'll tell you they can't diagnose it till the child is talking, blah blah. If you get an apraxia *specialist* they can identify the apraxia pretty easily, even at this age. With a regular SLP, you'll often get the run-around.

I give my ds calcium (I grind it with a pill grinder and give it on a spoon, yuck) and sometimes a Primadophilus. I don't give him other vitamins, but he gets vegetables and fruit every day. A 6 yo can eat a salad every day. We don't drink cow's milk, so I try to be faithful on the calcium. Don't want weak bones, whew.

Out of curiosity, how long would it take for me to notice changes once we've started the supplement?

Some say months, some weeks, some days. We saw spontaneous words and more attempts to actually *SPEAK* (vs. saying "Ugh!" for everything) within the first week. We do flaxseed oil because I already had it in the house. Your results may vary. And he just takes the normal vitamins that all the other kids take, FWIW.

Thank you! I've ordered the supplement, so we'll start that once it arrives.

I like vitamins mainly b/c it can be hit or miss in terms of fruits and veggies. Sometimes they can't get enough of them, and other times they want nothing to do with them. And I can never tell if any given day is an on or off day. Maybe I should start juicing. Or make more smoothies.

I also have a non verbal 2 year old. He has just a few recognizable words.

We are working on taking him off dairy after I finally realized that his horrible burning poop was caused by the dairy. He's off milk but still sneaks cheese and I haven't taken away the hidden dairy in other foods. He eats such a limited number of things that I'm slowly trying to find replacements for the few things that he does eat.

I'd like to put him on flax seed oil as well. Do any of you who use it have a brand that you would recommend? I'm clueless when it comes to good brands for supplements. I've never been one to use them so I don't have any idea of what I should be looking for when it comes to finding a good quality supplement.

We had seven children and then... Daniella. ;) Our oldest son did some speech therapy, but frankly we were never really worried about any of our children. However, Ella was very different. She didn't "mostly" not talk by two, she DIDN'T talk at two. She didn't even really make sounds. It bordered on alarming for us and it went on for months.

We did interact with her a lot and she was read to and sung to a lot.

Lo and behold, she turns three next month. The past three months have been nothing short of a little shocking for us. She went from few words to speaking in complete (and fairly complicated) sentences.

At this point it's almost funny that we were ever worried and if you met her NOW, you'd have no idea she was ever a non-speaker.

I truly believe reading aloud with her, singing, etc., that we did was very worthwhile. We taught her a few signs but not many and we did speak TO her and interact with her and explain things to her despite not being able to speak.

Did we do school? No. But she sits in on our "Circle Time" of Bible, reading aloud, singing, etc. She cooked with me, cleaned with us, etc. I will add we have a very verbal household (with there being seven girls in it and all.) ;)

I brought up the possibility of apraxia with the SPT this morning. She said it's possible that DD could have it and would bring a checklist of what to look for when she comes back on Friday. She did some mouth movement/sound exercises and DD had trouble with sounds made at the back of the mouth.

I also have a non verbal 2 year old. He has just a few recognizable words.

We are working on taking him off dairy after I finally realized that his horrible burning poop was caused by the dairy. He's off milk but still sneaks cheese and I haven't taken away the hidden dairy in other foods. He eats such a limited number of things that I'm slowly trying to find replacements for the few things that he does eat.

I'd like to put him on flax seed oil as well. Do any of you who use it have a brand that you would recommend? I'm clueless when it comes to good brands for supplements. I've never been one to use them so I don't have any idea of what I should be looking for when it comes to finding a good quality supplement.

For flax oil I use Spectrum organic. Sometimes it's in a refrigerator case and sometimes on the shelf. I find the kind with added junk (lignans, blah blah) doesn't work as well, not sure why. I don't know if it's just unnecessary filler or what. Anyways, I try to get just straight Spectrum Organics flax oil. It comes in flavors, though honestly my ds doesn't like any of them. The cinnamon is nasty strong, and the lemon is like shoe polish. They do make it in some fruit-flavored, thickened smoothie things that are nice. They're just twice as expensive. They do taste better though.

When you say he eats a limited number of things, is it food rejection or food allergy? Our SLP specializes in apraxia and feeding disorders. The two can go together. Sometimes the dc is having sensory or tone issues in addition to the apraxia. So if you get someone who is knowledgeable about BOTH, that might be helpful to you. If you'd like to see what I'm talking about, here's the website for our SLP. www.teachtofeed.com She has some good resource pages too. And as far as speech therapy, what she does is PROMPT. It's the best therapy for apraxia, so it's a good way to look.