Menu

What are some books that have girls surviving on their own?

helena

Scott O'dell has at least one other book like that.

There is also From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, where an older sister is the brains behind a quirky run away from home and survive kind of book.

My favorite books for that age level are:

In Place of Katya

The Diamond in the Window

Number the Stars

None of them meet your exact criteria, but they are all so good that I still enjoy them.

Julie of the Wolves

Hunger Games

The Blue Castle - but that's more of a story of a woman who finds out she has a year to live and runs away from her stifling life. L.M. Montgomery

Indian Captive - Mary Jamison or Calico Captive

She might enjoy Margaret Haddix or Caroline Cooney books, too, although those are more dystopian/thrillers with strong lead characters.

Scott O'dell has at least one other book like that.

There is also From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, where an older sister is the brains behind a quirky run away from home and survive kind of book.

My favorite books for that age level are:

In Place of Katya

The Diamond in the Window

Number the Stars

None of them meet your exact criteria, but they are all so good that I still enjoy them.

Thanks! And you're right, I just found a few O'Dell books on our shelves that have strong female main characters.

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi

This one was an instant favorite of mine as a young girl. It left quite an impression on me. So much so,that after I gave birth to my first daughter I ran out and bought a copy of the book for her. She's still too young -- but it's there ready for her!

Just a thought, considering the age of the OP's dd. Maybe she would like a non-fiction book like The Legacy of Luna by Julia Butterfly Hill.

I'd pre-read it to make sure it fits with your families values and her reading level. Its a book and she's a person I want my own children (and my daughter especially) to be aware of.

Anyway she lived in a redwood for 738 days.

I don't remember whether it would be appropriate for a 13-yr-old (because it's Stephen King) but The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is about a girl who survives in the woods alone, after getting separated from her family while hiking. It's not "horror", but suspense (like Cujo?) when she is threatened by a bear. The more I type though, the more I'm thinking, "Well, maybe not". Hahaha

I just remembered a book from when I was a kid, The Girl Who Owned a City. Does anyone else remember that one?

Just read it for my dd11's book club! Love that book. I had taken it out of the library as a kid, and then later wanted to get together a collection of all my favorite books as a kid, and I couldn't find a copy of the book anywhere (this was pre-internet, pre-Amazon). It must have been out of print for a while. I was so excited when I found a copy in my 30's.

I also loved Julie of the Wolves and Z for Zachariah as a kid.