Menu

Extreme couponing?

I was never that extreme but I was pretty hardcore for a few years. I clipped multiple coupons, did multiple trips, multiple shopping orders, etc. It did save us money but eventually my eyes were opened up to the junk we were eating and I had to switch gears and start eating healthier. Frozen pizzas, pop-tarts, chips, etc are not something that is going to make for a healthy family. I make an effort to be frugal but we eat healthy now and don't use many coupons.

I wouldn't consider myself extreme, but maybe skilled. I find that the availability of coupons I like, good sales, and my energy for it go in spurts. I pay way, way less than I used to for laundry detergent, other cleaning products, deodorant, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, Listerine, and Head & Shoulders shampoo. For grocery products, it is tempting to pick up lots of cheap junk food, but I try not to do that. I've gotten the most benefit from the principle of stocking up at the lowest grocery prices. Many products regularly go on sale for as much as 60% off. There are coupons for non-junk food, too. Olive oil, seasonings, rice, pasta and sauce, bread, yogurt, some brands of eggs or dairy products such as sour cream, lunch meat, soup, frozen or canned vegetables and fruits regularly have coupons for them in my local paper.

My favorite website is southernsavers.com. She posts coupon match-ups for a lot of stores which allow you to create printable lists by clicking the checkbox next to the items you plan to purchase.

ETA: Tis the season for baking product coupons too, so now is a good time to start.

Edited by abacus2

We no longer use coupons for most foods for the same reasons PP stated - way too unhealthy! We do, however, stock up to what some might call an extreme on nonfood items (toothpaste, for example). However, what one family calls extreme is our family's normal. :D I like knowing I have a year's worth of toilet paper or whatever in the house. I get my coupons from eBay, give each of my older kids a stack with some $ and we hit the stores late at night when the lines are nonexistent.

We no longer use coupons for most foods for the same reasons PP stated - way too unhealthy! We do, however, stock up to what some might call an extreme on nonfood items (toothpaste, for example). However, what one family calls extreme is our family's normal. :D I like knowing I have a year's worth of toilet paper or whatever in the house. I get my coupons from eBay, give each of my older kids a stack with some $ and we hit the stores late at night when the lines are nonexistent.

:iagree:

Same here! When I was extreme couponing for groceries, we all gained weight. Still consider myself extreme on household goods, toiletries, meds, etc. Really is the way to go for one income families, but you've got to keep it in balance. You gotta figure your time is as costly an investment as money. All in all, a great way to save money and Christmas shop :)

Cheap is expensive. I don't care if they are all but free, 145 boxes of cake mix and pop tarts and hot pocket type stuff are not economical in the least in terms of energy levels, weight and health. I did it for a few shopping cycles and then was like, um we are so never going to eat this cr@p. Simple, whole foods with less meat, salt and sugar are a much better value in the long run. I don't need it for hh stuff and cleaners because we roll very cheap there- few paper products, reuse containers and bags and foil, simple cheap cleaners like vinegar, bulk Dr. Bronners, baking soda and soda water for glass. Occasionally for soaps and toothpaste I guess, but again we are simple people when it comes to personal products.

Edited by kijipt

I did a little bit and it can be worth it if you have the time but I found that for the effort it wasn't. A lot of coupons were for food I'd never buy or cleaning products I prefer to make. Toothbrushes are something we get for free at the dentist office after cleanings. I do use them on occasion for razors and such but it's easy to get sucked in and start buying stuff you just wouldn't otherwise.

I did it for a while but the coupons aren't as good as they used to be. Stores have tightened their policies in retataliation to "extreme couponing" and prices are higher in general. Couponing takes too much time and effort for me in the store with 3 kids so I just watch the sales flyer and shop that way.

Cheap is expensive. I don't care if they are all but free, 145 boxes of cake mix and pop tarts and hot pocket type stuff are not economical in the least in terms of energy levels, weight and health. I did it for a few shopping cycles and then was like, um we are so never going to eat this cr@p. Simple, whole foods with less meat, salt and sugar are a much better value in the long run. I don't need it for hh stuff and cleaners because we roll very cheap there- few paper products, reuse containers and bags and foil, simple cheap cleaners like vinegar, bulk Dr. Bronners, baking soda and soda water for glass. Occasionally for soaps and toothpaste I guess, but again we are simple people when it comes to personal products.

This is us, too. There are better ways for us to save money purchasing whole foods that we actually eat, investing in non-disposable items, etc.

We used (and need to get back to using) the grocery game. However, I simply think the extremes are dumb unless you are giving the excess away. There is simply no way you can go through some of that stuff before it expires and if you did, you'd be doing yourself a disservice. However, having a 3-6 month supply of things you WILL use (btw, that was one thing I did have to stop, getting things I wouldn't normally get. No one needs that many specials just because they are 20cents! And no one needs 6 years of toothpaste either)....but 3-6 months of things you will use and won't make you any MORE unhealthy? I think it is a good thing.

Anyway, and we do need SOME convenience foods. Good for the family that doesn't. But we do or we'll eat out which is awful financially and health wise.

If they'd get the Kroger in town built, I'd do it in a heartbeat. As it is, I have to go a two towns over to go to Krogers and that is just hard with my schedule and responsibilities.

We used (and need to get back to using) the grocery game. However, I simply think the extremes are dumb unless you are giving the excess away. There is simply no way you can go through some of that stuff before it expires and if you did, you'd be doing yourself a disservice. However, having a 3-6 month supply of things you WILL use (btw, that was one thing I did have to stop, getting things I wouldn't normally get. No one needs that many specials just because they are 20cents! And no one needs 6 years of toothpaste either)....but 3-6 months of things you will use and won't make you any MORE unhealthy? I think it is a good thing.

Anyway, and we do need SOME convenience foods. Good for the family that doesn't. But we do or we'll eat out which is awful financially and health wise.

If they'd get the Kroger in town built, I'd do it in a heartbeat. As it is, I have to go a two towns over to go to Krogers and that is just hard with my schedule and responsibilities.

I totally agree! I would love to stock up on the items that "pay you to take them out of the store" and then donate them! There was a family we watched last night that said the Lord was the reason they couponed. They donated a massive stockpile to charity.., I think it was like 21,000 worth of items? So wonderful.

That of course.. is on a massive scale. Im not lying to myself by thinking we could do THAT. :tongue_smilie:

oh, i am watching it too! i really love it (even my husband enjoys it). i realize those are extreme cases, but it really does make me think i'm a fool to not use coupons. so yesterday i went to the grocery store and shopped the sales and used coupons!! i saved $122. i bought 3 carts completely full of food & products that we would have eaten or used anyway. my total was still $430 for everything, but i'm stocked up on a TON of stuff!! i am going to try & keep with it to get the numbers down, but for my first trip we were happy. the biggest thing i need to relearn is buying enough of something to last 6-8 weeks (i guess coupons rotate anywhere from 6-12 weeks...but space is limited so 12 weeks isn't doable for me).

so yesterday, i bought more toilet paper, shampoo & conditioner, etc. than i normally would have bought. i usually buy 1 pack, 1 set, etc. i also stocked up on gain liquid detergent, french vanilla creamer, and there was a sale on frozen shrimp - so i got 6 boxes, lol. but those shrimp only cost me $1.49 as opposed to the normal $5.

also, the night before i shopped, i stopped by the grocery store and took note of all the sales that were't advertised in the flyer. i just jotted it down in the notes section of my phone. then i went home and tried to couple all of the sales with coupons (which i don't have a ton of yet). we don't get the paper here, so i did go online and order coupons i couldn't find printable copies of. i just ordered them from "the coupon clippers" for a few bucks and used those with the ones i had printed.

anyway, i considered myself frugal before, but my eyes have been opened to a whole new option of frugal - so i'm excited to accept the challenge:D

I can hardly ever find coupons for things we would normally eat - produce, dairy, fresh meat, and staples like flour. Most are for processed stuff which we don't eat.

I use coupons for toiletries occasionally.

I also found that it is often cheaper to buy the store brand without coupon than the brand name item with coupon.

So, I use the occasional coupon, but no extreme couponing for me.

i found great coupons online. granted, i paid a few cents for some of them, but it was on things i really do buy anyway. tom's toothpaste, tom's deodorant, axe hair products (lol, i know...my husband), gain detergent, toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner, OTC meds, vitamins and supplements, cleaning products, etc. most of my coupons weren't food related and i still saved a ton of money!:)

I was a faithful coupon clipper for about a year. I got 2 papers delivered on Sundays and filed them and went to SouthernSavers.com and would print out my list.

I ended up with shelves FULL of stuff we would never use! We did use some of it, but there are shampoos we all hate, dishsoap that is too "soft" to really clean dishes (and leaves a film). Spray cleaners we don't like, Zataran's rice we can't stand, and the list goes on.

I have yet to go through and toss all that stuff.

There were a few foods we ate, but 3 of us gained weight eating cheaply and DH said to STOP buying processed as he needed more energy for work.

I now just BUDGET and buy accordingly. This e-book is very helpful for saving without coupons:

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Guide-Groceries-under-ebook/dp/B00703HTGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350220299&sr=8-1&keywords=feed+family+on+%24250

Her argument is that during the amount of time it would take to clip coupons and shop multiple times, etc.....she could have made her own mixes, dips, sauces, or pastes in similar costs AND much healthier as they would not have the preservatives or additives.

Another one is:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QQ9VHI

I haven't read this second one, but I think I may get it.

oh, i am watching it too! i really love it (even my husband enjoys it). i realize those are extreme cases, but it really does make me think i'm a fool to not use coupons. so yesterday i went to the grocery store and shopped the sales and used coupons!! i saved $122. i bought 3 carts completely full of food & products that we would have eaten or used anyway. my total was still $430 for everything, but i'm stocked up on a TON of stuff!! i am going to try & keep with it to get the numbers down, but for my first trip we were happy. the biggest thing i need to relearn is buying enough of something to last 6-8 weeks (i guess coupons rotate anywhere from 6-12 weeks...but space is limited so 12 weeks isn't doable for me).

so yesterday, i bought more toilet paper, shampoo & conditioner, etc. than i normally would have bought. i usually buy 1 pack, 1 set, etc. i also stocked up on gain liquid detergent, french vanilla creamer, and there was a sale on frozen shrimp - so i got 6 boxes, lol. but those shrimp only cost me $1.49 as opposed to the normal $5.

also, the night before i shopped, i stopped by the grocery store and took note of all the sales that were't advertised in the flyer. i just jotted it down in the notes section of my phone. then i went home and tried to couple all of the sales with coupons (which i don't have a ton of yet). we don't get the paper here, so i did go online and order coupons i couldn't find printable copies of. i just ordered them from "the coupon clippers" for a few bucks and used those with the ones i had printed.

anyway, i considered myself frugal before, but my eyes have been opened to a whole new option of frugal - so i'm excited to accept the challenge:D

Totally agree! It was like midnight last night and my husband was looking at our flyers from last week and googling everything he could:lol:

Annnnd its Sunday.. which means the coupons are coming!

I will add another book or two :D

I grew up with this book as our STAPLE for cooking as it uses ingredients we could actually get in Africa. I still use it.

The start of the book talks about saving $$ by eating in season meals and local produce and goods. It is put out by the Menonites, who I have great respect for, and their premise is that we can feed the world by cutting back on our own eating costs.

http://www.amazon.com/More-With-Less-Cookbook-World-Community/dp/083619263X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350221312&sr=8-1&keywords=more+with+less+cookbook'>http://www.amazon.com/More-With-Less-Cookbook-World-Community/dp/083619263X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350221312&sr=8-1&keywords=more+with+less+cookbook

In addition to the above book, I personally love the following book, it has frugal recipes from around the world! Excellent book:

http://www.amazon.com/More-With-Less-Cookbook-World-Community/dp/083619263X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350221312&sr=8-1&keywords=more+with+less+cookbook

If you use a lot of packaged foods, it might be for you. For non-food items its probably still a decent idea on the occasion. Here is the biggest problem is its time consuming, and even if you pay someone to clip the coupons for you, you have to add the cost of the clipping service for every coupon you get into the cost of the item. You have to add the gas spent for all the store trips, and don't forget all your time spent on keeping current with all the deals. You have to decide mostly if your time is worth it. I have very little ones, and my time is taken up with them all day. I need study at night. My time is too little right now and the little time I have is too valuable to save a few dollars.

Totally agree! It was like midnight last night and my husband was looking at our flyers from last week and googling everything he could:lol:

Annnnd its Sunday.. which means the coupons are coming!

well, i wished you lived here! we could be excited together, lol. my husband thinks it is awesome too & the show blew his mind (regardless of what they purchased, he was floored at the quantity). we don't get the paper & i don't plan to subscribe. instead, i will just order coupons i really want online. what it would cost me to buy a newspaper, i can just spend that at a clippers website and be guaranteed to get what i really want & will use:) i'm also loving that i can just print them!!! that is so cool to me! and i can't believe i never thought to do it before!!

well, i wished you lived here! we could be excited together, lol. my husband thinks it is awesome too & the show blew his mind (regardless of what they purchased, he was floored at the quantity). we don't get the paper & i don't plan to subscribe. instead, i will just order coupons i really want online. what it would cost me to buy a newspaper, i can just spend that at a clippers website and be guaranteed to get what i really want & will use:) i'm also loving that i can just print them!!! that is so cool to me! and i can't believe i never thought to do it before!!

Oh I know!! My favorite lady on the show got 1800 worth of food, etc.. for free. Now that is INSANE. I know thats.. extreme.. but I would be happy with a fraction of those savings! She basically works a full time job by couponing.. but 1800 in one week? Thats a heck of a lot more than dh has ever made at his job!:tongue_smilie:

And thank you Dawn for the links!!!

As others have already said, couponing just isn't terribly helpful for some folks.

We're vegans, and we eat relatively little processed, packaged food. There don't tend to be very many high-value coupons on even the packaged/convenience foods we do eat. And, although I hear tell of coupons for fresh produce, I've rarely seen one, even when I was trying hard to coupon seriously.

I did the free trial of the Grocery Game a couple of years ago and found literally not one deal that was helpful to me. The only items ever on her weekly list that were things I would actually buy were in-store sales, not matched with a coupon, that I would have found by simply walking the aisles during my regular shopping trip.

The fall-back position of enthusiastic couponers when I explain this is that it's still worth it just for the household cleaners and toiletries, but that has still not been my experience. We buy only cruelty-free brands and products (items that do not include animal-derived ingredients and that have not been tested on animals). So, my options in any category are limited to one or two items I've researched and that meet those standards. While I do see occasional coupons on those brands/items, and I use them when I do, it's just not enough to make much of a dent in our budget.

Honestly, I usually can't find enough coupons in the paper to offset the cost of buying it.

Strategies I've found that do save us money:

- I watch sales, and stock up when the prices are good. I visit the websites of my preferred stores the night before I go shopping. I check for sales and write the information on my list.

- I shop primarily at Target, which has the best prices in town on most of the items I buy regularly. I hit the mainstream grocery store and the health food store only for things I can't buy at Target. (I love Aldi, too, but there isn't one close enough to make an every-week trip practical.)

- I use my Target debit card for groceries. It has no fees for normal usage, and I get a 5% discount on everything I buy with it.

- I buy store brands for the vast majority of our food. Since most of what I buy are single-ingredient products (old-fashioned oatmeal, dried beans, flour, organic sugar, rice, plain tomato paste, frozen fruit, nuts, etc.), there is no measurable difference in quality or flavor from the name brands.

- I buy simple fresh fruits and veggies that are in season and mostly when they are on sale.

- I make a detailed list -- color coded by store, organized by category, including sales --- before I shop. I make sure to buy enough food to make meals for the whole week. Extra trips to the store too often end up meaning impulse purchases.

- I keep an eye on waste, trying to make sure we actually use everything I buy.

If I'm good about these things, I can feed a family of four, including two teens who eat more than the adults, a healthy, vegan diet (with a few luxuries and less-than-healthy treats) for about $130 per week. It's not the same kind of number that those extreme couponers get, but it's below the USDA's "thrifty" estimate for our family size. And it's not based on junk food and doesn't require me to spend time clipping coupons. So, I'm content.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

my husband thinks it is awesome too & the show blew his mind (regardless of what they purchased, he was floored at the quantity).

And that's the thing right there. My personal feeling is that the last thing most Americans need is more food. Instead, we need better, healthier food. There are all kinds of costs, some individual and others global, to the kind of manic consumerism fostered by these kinds of shows.

She basically works a full time job by couponing.. but 1800 in one week? Thats a heck of a lot more than dh has ever made at his job!

Yes, but you can't "spend" that $1,800 on anything real or meaningful. It won't pay your rent or the medical bills one might rack up eating a diet consisting primarily of couponed foods. No one "needs" $1,800 worth of processed foods.

:iagree:

Same here! When I was extreme couponing for groceries, we all gained weight. Still consider myself extreme on household goods, toiletries, meds, etc. Really is the way to go for one income families, but you've got to keep it in balance. You gotta figure your time is as costly an investment as money. All in all, a great way to save money and Christmas shop :)

I've noticed that most of the people on the extreme couponing shows are overweight to obese, with only a few exceptions. The food they pile into their carts makes my stomach do flip flops.

Even if I were willing to feed that stuff to my kids they would never eat it. They're insanely picky eaters. It would just sit on the shelf. I consider myself frugal to the "extreme" though. I buy bottom of the barrel but my kids eat very well, especially considering how picky they are. There is an ethnic wholesale market near me where milk is 2.69. gallon, 5 lb mozzarella $17, chicken less than $1/ lb. I save so much money going there. I make 100% from scratch. So anyway, to the OP, sorry but I don't have any good tips because I consider the couponable food unhealthy!

Also, no stores near me have double coupons. It seems the way to go "extreme" is to match coupons with sale while getting the double discount. And generic is almost always cheaper than name brand with the coupon.

In theory extreme couponing might be a good idea for a desperately poor family willing to eat anything, but the resources needed to coupon (access to the all those flyers which can require driving around to collect them, so you need a working car), internet access (online coupons), driving to different store (again, working car) plus storage space, isn't really realistic for the poorest of the poor.

I used to coupon much more than I do now. I just don't have the time. However, there are coupons for healthy products. I have about 20 lbs of organic carrots that I got for free as well as a bunch of organic lettuce. I also have a couple of cases of organic tomato paste and diced tomatoes that I also got for free. Coupons are great for HBA and cleaning products. I am tired of hearing that couponers are unhealthy and overweight. We try to eat mostly healthy foods and no one in my house is overweight. Just don't use those coupons for the processed food. By the way, I also have about 10 lbs of cheddar cheese that I bought for $1lb using coupons (Cabot).

We also do all the other stuff like buying in season, stocking up, cooking from scratch,etc

Haven't read the other responses but in our state it doesn't work. We have no stores that double coupon and the sales aren't that great. Walgreens and CVS I hear have decent incentives.

As an aside, I think extreme couponers border on hoarding. My dh and boys rolled by a garage sale that was trying to get rid of excess extreme couponing items. My dh said it was funny. It looked like a grocery store set up in the front yard. And I know they didn't get that stuff "free" like the shows because you just can't here.

I coupon. I buy from ads and combine the two when I can.

I am an avid couponer as of a few months ago. Some people would consider me extreme, but I am not at all like the people on those shows. I have my binder organized and spend several hours per week making my lists and clipping coupons. I consider it my other part time job and, honestly, I make more per hour than I do at my "regular" job so it is definitely worth it. We don't buy a lot of convenience foods either, yet I find a lot of coupons on basic staples, meat, spices, cereal, yogurt, drugstore items, personal items, makeup, dairy, and feminine products to dramatically lower our out of pocket expenses. I often get our personal product items (toothpaste, deodorant, body wash, razors, etc) for free or near free. I have a stockpile and have non-perishables items stocked with what our family needs for at least 6 months or so; I don't "hoard" - everything fits into our cabinets except our soda stash which we keep in our basement. I can't stand clutter, lol. We drink mostly soy milk in our family and there are always coupons for this that cost us less than half what we used to pay at Costco. I got about 40 packs of sliced and shredded Kraft cheese at the end of August all for free (sadly, we are now almost out - yes, we eat a lot of cheese). You CAN eat healthy and still save a ton of money on coupons - we do! I also don't buy things like pop-tarts, candy, and many boxed side dish foods; I just don't clip those coupons. I used to be a big store brand person too, but now that I shop sales (rather than what we need) and pair with good coupons (and know my rock bottom prices) I can stock up paying much less and then shop from my stockpile. I would say I easily save at least $100 per week couponing. We have a great local website that does all the store sale matchups with coupons for me so I just go through and make my list each week and pull my coupons. I have to shop anyway so it doesn't take me any more time to do that. I really enjoy it and feel like I am doing a great deal to help my family. Even my dh is a convert and that is saying a lot:tongue_smilie:.

Edited by Blessedchaos

I used to coupon much more than I do now. I just don't have the time. However' date=' there are coupons for healthy products. I have about 20 lbs of organic carrots that I got for free as well as a bunch of organic lettuce. I also have a couple of cases of organic tomato paste and diced tomatoes that I also got for free. Coupons are great for HBA and cleaning products. I am tired of hearing that couponers are unhealthy and overweight. We try to eat mostly healthy foods and no one in my house is overweight. Just don't use those coupons for the processed food. By the way, I also have about 10 lbs of cheddar cheese that I bought for $1lb using coupons (Cabot).

We also do all the other stuff like buying in season, stocking up, cooking from scratch,etc[/quote']

In my world, "organic" isn't necessary for health. And, because it's so much more expensive than conventional, we would eat less produce if I focused on organic.

As I said, I acknowledge that there are coupons for foods I buy. However, in my experience from multiple attempts, there are not enough coupons on enough items to make it worth my time to jump through hoops to get and use them.

(I don't know what HBA means, and, as I said, they don't often work on the cleaning products I use, either.)

Look, if it works for you, that's wonderful. I suspect I'd have a much easier time making coupons pay off for us if we lived in an area in which stores doubled and/or had more liberal coupon policies. Here, there are pretty strict limits on how many coupons we can use on items, how many sale items we can buy at once, and no one doubles. I'd also probably have better luck if, ethically, I could be more flexible about which brands and items we purchase. But, in my case, it's just not a measurable difference.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I just told dh last night that I wasn't sure if our stores would double coupons either. It seems like that is where the real savings comes in at. Hmph..

And I wouldn't buy the junkie food just to save money. I would only be interested in saving $$ on what we buy now. I love to stock up on detergent, toilet paper, trash bags, etc.. and it makes me sick to think my previous stockpiles have been bought at full price:banghead:

I used to coupon much more than I do now. I just don't have the time. However' date=' there are coupons for healthy products. I have about 20 lbs of organic carrots that I got for free as well as a bunch of organic lettuce. I also have a couple of cases of organic tomato paste and diced tomatoes that I also got for free. Coupons are great for HBA and cleaning products. I am tired of hearing that couponers are unhealthy and overweight. We try to eat mostly healthy foods and no one in my house is overweight. Just don't use those coupons for the processed food. By the way, I also have about 10 lbs of cheddar cheese that I bought for $1lb using coupons (Cabot).

We also do all the other stuff like buying in season, stocking up, cooking from scratch,etc[/quote']

There are coupons for healthy foods, even vegetables. I've used Olivia's Organic Garden coupons in the past to buy spinach and lettuce. In the winter, I buy a case of Sno-pack spinach from my local health food store, and they give me 15% off. There are ways.

Annie's Shells , which I do buy at times (although I would not call it health food, really lol), often has coupons. I found a few .75 off coupons for Evolve organic burritos. There is a vegan version. I know I can make burritos cheaper, but sometimes we need grab and go. My local store doubled those. I was pretty happy. My oldest dd also takes Lara's Vegan Bars to school for fast protein. I found a .75 off coupon in with my register receipt. Which I thought was odd, as I already buy them. The store doubled it. My dh had picked up some items on his own, and he had the same Lara bar coupon in his receipts, which the store also doubled. So I have several Lara bars in my stash. (I hide many things lol)

Sure, it's much easier to get Oscar Myer coupons, but not impossible to find others.

Edited by LibraryLover

We have an extreme couponer in our area and I just don't get it. She fills her cart with JUNK. 40 boxes of dehydrated scalloped potatoes?? No thanks! :001_huh:

I want my scalloped potatoes to actually BE potatoes.

And the entire family looks like it weighs in around 3000 pounds for five people. It's insane. I can't help looking at them and thinking, "Geez. Spend $2 and plant some dang kale in containers and balance those Spaghetti O's out!!"

Saving 40 cents on stuff I don't feel great about feeding my family seems incredibly short sighted.

And we do eat convenience foods too. I think I've got at least one box of chicken nuggets in the freezer and we visited the evil Mc Donald's on the way home from the harvest festival yesterday. But in no way would I ever accept that food like that is the BULK of what I fed my kids.

Annie's Shells , which I do buy at times (although I would not call it health food, really lol), often has coupons. I found a few .75 off coupons for Evolve burritos the other days. 100% organic, and there is a vegan version. I know I can make burritos cheaper, but sometimes we need grab and go. My local store doubled those. I was pretty happy. My oldest dd also takes Lara's Vegan Bars to school for fast protein. I found a .75 off coupon in with my register receipt.

But, you see, all of the foods you listed in this paragraph are still processed, packaged foods. The fact that some or all of the original ingredients are organic doesn't make them not processed.

I used to coupon quite a bit. However, our lifestyle has since changed, and I just don't find the savings worth the effort anymore. The cost of the Sunday paper is outrageous now, and I don't want to order the coupons I need. I also don't want to spend the time surfing the web and printing coupons either. Occassionally, I will, but not on a regular basis.

Mainly though, like others have said, we no longer eat those foods -- at least not on a regular basis. Certainly not enough to stock pile them. Also, a few years ago I went on a big decluttering kick. I donated most of my stock pile, and I loved having roomy closets and nothing under the bed. Seriously, I felt like I had so much stuff that I couldn't find anything when I needed/wanted it, and would often have to go out and buy it anyway. Ugh!! Nothing like hoarders, but too much for me. Also, this may sound strange, but I really felt in my heart that God was wanting to show me that He would provide for the family. I was really stressing and finding it difficult to "let go" in case we needed it one day. It was a real lesson for me, and gave me peace to get rid of our excess stuff. (Not to say that it is wrong to stockpile to excess. It was just wrong for ME to do it.)

:) Beachy

But, you see, all of the foods you listed in this paragraph are still processed, packaged foods. The fact that some or all of the original ingredients are organic doesn't make them not processed.

Right, except for the vegetables I mentioned. I understand what processed food is, and I am OK with some of it. I am mostly able to be a scratch cooker (and I love to cook). I raise my own organic, free range hens. We have a large organic garden, many berry bushes, grow sprouts, can, freeze etc. I sometimes do buy organic tofu, Amy's non GMO veggie burgers, Matthew's Bread, non GMO Evolve or Amy's burritos, Newman's Pizza, Annie's Organic Shells, non GMO Lara vegan bars for quick protein etc. Sometimes we do grab & go. It was great to find those coupons.

As I said, I love to cook, and cook a lot, but sometimes an Amy's veggie burger on lettuce is just the ticket. :) If there is a coupon for it, I will use it. :) I admit, I was was super-extra happy to find the Evolve and Lara coupons. Those doubled coupons practically paid me to buy them. Which was fun.

Edited by LibraryLover

How much are you all spending on non-food items:001_huh:?? Maybe I don't clean enough?? If I were to get all cleaning supplies and bathroom items free (NOT counting toilet paper--we go through lots of that), I can't imagine it would save more then a couple hundred dollars a year. I'm adding it up in my head and there just isn't that much that I buy.

How much are you all spending on non-food items:001_huh:?? Maybe I don't clean enough?? If I were to get all cleaning supplies and bathroom items free (NOT counting toilet paper--we go through lots of that), I can't imagine it would save more then a couple hundred dollars a year. I'm adding it up in my head and there just isn't that much that I buy.

I wonder about that. If I add in shampoo, toothpaste, new heads for our electric toothbrushes (which our dentist doesn't give away), conditioner, dishwasher and dish detergent, the spray for our stupid old fiberglass tub, I would think it comes out to at least $200. I don't tend to buy paper towels, but I have, especially around holidays and party times.

I should Quicken that, although I don't really want to know. I do want a massive toilet paper stash. (Please, I will not wash cloth poop rags used by anyone over age 3 or 4 who is potty-trained.)

Edited by LibraryLover

I think the point that he time couponing comes with an opportunity cost is a good one. I coupon only a very little and nothing "extreme" but I have plenty of time to make a few pots of soup and a few loaves of GF bread and quick breads (zucchini, banana, pumpkin kinds of things) and a big bag of breakfast burritos for the freezer when the kids and husband are on the go. I am pretty lazy as a cook and on any given weekday I am reheating or defrosting rather than cooking most of our food. I am sure my mostly homemade breakfast burritos are more expensive than hot pockets or commericals purchased ones on coupon but it works out to a very little per serving and most importantly, I know what the heck is going into my kiddos system. Eggs are also a great convenience food. I can make a dinner omelet faster than I can zap a plate of frozen boxed enchiladas. It takes like 2-3 minutes to make a 3 egg omelet two people can split.

I have to admit, I do love that show. Kind of a horror fascination thing, as I watch folks load up cases and cases of generic soda and hamburger helper....and I LOVE seeing those stockpiles of 900 cases of paper towels and bathroom cleaners and razors enough to survise the apocalypse.

BUT....I don't USE any of that stuff. We live in rural CA, and I don't find that our grocery stores have much to offer in the way of extreme coupon savings. And rarely are bulk, whole ingredients every even on sale.

We live on a farm/homestead and honestly are producing most of our food ourselves now...milk, eggs, meat, veggies. So we mostly are shopping for pantry staples, and usually in bulk. So no, I don't coupon, and really don't know anyone IRL who does.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't gawk with mouth agape at the extreme couponers! It is so fun to watch, and I have to admit, I love the idea of gettign something for nothing...even if it is MSG packages. :)

Edited to add: OK...yes I supposed I DO use razors. Maybe I could become an extreme couponer for razors....

I have to admit, I do love that show. Kind of a horror fascination thing, as I watch folks load up cases and cases of generic soda and hamburger helper....and I LOVE seeing those stockpiles of 900 cases of paper towels and bathroom cleaners and razors enough to survise the apocalypse.

BUT....I don't USE any of that stuff. We live in rural CA, and I don't find that our grocery stores have much to offer in the way of extreme coupon savings. And rarely are bulk, whole ingredients every even on sale.

We live on a farm/homestead and honestly are producing most of our food ourselves now...milk, eggs, meat, veggies. So we mostly are shopping for pantry staples, and usually in bulk. So no, I don't coupon, and really don't know anyone IRL who does.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't gawk with mouth agape at the extreme couponers! It is so fun to watch, and I have to admit, I love the idea of gettign something for nothing...even if it is MSG packages. :)

Edited to add: OK...yes I supposed I DO use razors. Maybe I could become an extreme couponer for razors....

Awesome:001_smile: I am currently researching/hoarding info on homesteading. I mainly am wanting to focus more on being cost effective, saving as much $$ as we can, and living a comfortable, simple life. Just checking out different methods to achieve it as of now.

Where are you finding those coupons? On which brands?

I just typed up a lengthy response and lost it - hate when that happens. I get some from our Sunday paper, but the better value ones are available online or from signing up at manufacturer's website. Silk and 8th Continent are probably the 2 most common ones, but occasionally I will find some for brands like Lactaid and some other less common ones. There was recently one available online that was $2/1 for 8th Continent so I got these for under a dollar at Walmart. Silk sent me one that was buy one get one free and then our Target had them for $2.75 each so I got each one for about $1.35. The online coupons I can usually get two prints from each coupon so I can stock up a bit when I get these.

Definitely certain regions are better than others. Our region only has one store that doubles and I do get great savings there. But I also get great deals at Target because they have their own store coupons on their website which I can match with available manufacturer's coupons when they are on sale bring the prices way down, sometimes free. CVS is another good one once you learn to use the Extra Care Bucks to your advantage. Our CVS employees are wonderful at helping to find extra ways to save. Being price knowledgeable is very important, though, to make sure you don't overspend at some of these more expensive stores.

I would love to have found that cheese! Cabot is a decent brand and doesn't use milk made with BGH. I have found Earthbound coupons for carrots and lettuce etc, although I grow both of these things in my garden. I keep on the look-out in winter for the Earthbound and Olivia coupons. Mambo Sprouts often had good coupons for such brands. I need to go look that up again.

I just cut up over a dozen peppers (there would have been more, but my kids keep eating them! lol.) There are still some in the garden. I am hoping they become a deeper red before the first frost) from my raised beds, and put them in my freezer. That feels like a real blessing. A couple of weeks ago, I processed some garden tomatoes. Many people are not in a situation to do all of this, so I feel very lucky.

Edited by LibraryLover

Makeup, laundry detergent, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, body wash, makeup, deodorant, paper towels, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, face wash (I have a teenager with acne), hair color, hair gels and products, toothbrushes, floss, razors, etc. We use reusable or homemade products when possible (cloth napkins, rags instead of paper towels, homemade window cleaner, etc), but when you can get many of these non-food items for free or near free it really does save; with 5 in our family and older children we definitely would spend more than just a few hundred a year on these items paying full price. This is a much smaller chunk of our budget than food, though.

Edited by Blessedchaos

Makeup, laundry detergent, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, body wash, makeup, deodorant, paper towels, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, face wash (I have a teenager with acne), hair color, hair gels and products, etc. We use reusable or homemade products when possible (cloth napkins, rags instead of paper towels, homemade window cleaner, etc), but when you can get many of these non-food items for free or near free it really does save; with 5 in our family and older children we definitely would spend more than just a few hundred a year on these items paying full price. This is a much smaller chunk of our budget than food, though.

Oh, you're counting make up? :tongue_smilie:

I can't even blame it all on my ballet dancer. I printed out an Elf eyeliner coupon for the first time in my life the other day. Do you know how much eyeliner ballet dancers go through in a year? lol

Edited by LibraryLover

I just typed up a lengthy response and lost it - hate when that happens. I get some from our Sunday paper, but the better value ones are available online or from signing up at manufacturer's website. Silk and 8th Continent are probably the 2 most common ones, but occasionally I will find some for brands like Lactaid and some other less common ones.

Thank you. Neither Silk nor 8th Continent are our favorites, because each is missing something (maybe B12?) from its nutrition profile. I do buy each of them occasionally when the sales are unusually good, but for my daughter (who won't drink the smoothies I make with the vitamin and protein powder), the only brand that works is Soy Dream.

I am signed up on the manufacturer's website, and I get the Mambo Sprouts e-mails, from which I get a coupon every now and then. It's nice to know I'm not missing anything obvious.

I can't even blame it all on my ballet dancer. I printed out an Elf eyeliner coupon for the first time in my life the other day. Do you know how much eyeliner ballet dancers go through in a year? lol

Sure. I save a lot on makeup now. And I stockpile it (within reason) so when I run out I don't have to pay full price. Haircolor too. I pay about a third of what I used to on haircolor.

Thank you. Neither Silk nor 8th Continent are our favorites, because each is missing something (maybe B12?) from its nutrition profile. I do buy each of them occasionally when the sales are unusually good, but for my daughter (who won't drink the smoothies I make with the vitamin and protein powder), the only brand that works is Soy Dream.

I am signed up on the manufacturer's website, and I get the Mambo Sprouts e-mails, from which I get a coupon every now and then. It's nice to know I'm not missing anything obvious.

Sure! Most of us are lactose intolerant so we are only looking for lactose free. 8th Continent isn't really our fave either, but when I can get it cheap I buy it. I do see a few here and there for Soy Dream, but not as much as the other brands.

Edited by Blessedchaos

Elf makeup is ahhhmazing! Price & Quality! :001_smile: