Menu

Hmm...should I go out to dinner?

All of my guys went somewhere for the evening, and I thought I'd surprise my girls by going out to dinner. We don't eat out often, and dd16 and I both work at a nice-ish restaurant, so we can use our employee discounts for our two meals, and then it wouldn't be too expensive.

The problem is that dd14 doesn't want to go out tonight. She's not very hungry, and she just doesn't want to go anywhere at all. :sad: We don't have that many opportunities to go out together, and dd16 would like to go.

Do I ask dd14 to go anyway, knowing that she really would rather be home? Or, do I let her stay home and just older dd and I go out? OR, maybe older dd and I should stay home with her and eat a nice meal at home (and then do the dishes afterwards :glare: lol!) It would not feel very good leaving her home, and it wouldn't feel very good to make her go if she's not up for it.

Wwyd? :confused:

All of my guys went somewhere for the evening, and I thought I'd surprise my girls by going out to dinner. We don't eat out often, and dd16 and I both work at a nice-ish restaurant, so we can use our employee discounts for our two meals, and then it wouldn't be too expensive.

The problem is that dd14 doesn't want to go out tonight. She's not very hungry, and she just doesn't want to go anywhere at all. :sad: We don't have that many opportunities to go out together, and dd16 would like to go.

Do I ask dd14 to go anyway, knowing that she really would rather be home? Or, do I let her stay home and just older dd and I go out? OR, maybe older dd and I should stay home with her and eat a nice meal at home (and then do the dishes afterwards :glare: lol!) It would not feel very good leaving her home, and it wouldn't feel very good to make her go if she's not up for it.

Wwyd? :confused:

I would go out. I'd be tempted to make dd14 go, but I could be persuaded to let her stay home.

My dd views it as a treat to have the house to herself.

My girls used to view it as a treat to occasionally have the house to themselves, but now that I'm working two jobs, and dd 16 has her own job, and all of the boys have jobs, and dh is at work from 5:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. pretty much 7 days a week, dd14 ends up left home alone a little more than I feel comfortable with. :( I want her to enjoy her evening though too, and if that means that she doesn't go out, I'd like to respect that.

I'd treat it like any other two gals I'd like to get together with for dinner -- which, in my world, means I'd try to reschedule if one of us wasn't up for the outing. It also means that I would schedule it and make it an important appointment (and leave 'guys' to handle their own meal from time to time rather just waiting for them to be otherwise occupied).

Can you get the food to go and all eat together at home? Pick up ice cream and a movie for dessert?

I know, I thought about that too. Honestly though, part of my full-time job in foodservice entails doing hours and hours of dishes nearly every day, and I was looking forward to being served in the way that only a really nice restaurant can accomplish. It feels like if I order the food to go that I'll be paying for a really nice dinner out, but then losing out on that lovely (and fairly rare) feeling of being served. (Selfish, huh? I'm not proud of feeling that way. :001_huh:)

It would depend on why she doesn't want to go. Is she feeling low physically? If so I would reschedule. If she simply isn't in the mood I would say, 'get in the mood honey cuz we are going to go have fun.' I would bet that if it is the latter it won't take her long to be enjoying herself.

I know, I thought about that too. Honestly though, part of my full-time job in foodservice entails doing hours and hours of dishes nearly every day, and I was looking forward to being served in the way that only a really nice restaurant can accomplish. It feels like if I order the food to go that I'll be paying for a really nice dinner out, but then losing out on that lovely (and fairly rare) feeling of being served. (Selfish, huh? I'm not proud of feeling that way. :001_huh:)

I like to go out to dinner so there is no kitchen clean up, too, and I don't work in food service. Not selfish, just reality!

It's not selfish, and there's nothing to feel bad about. :grouphug: