Menu

How can I get this dog to SHUT UP!!

I can't take it. I'm going insane.

We have a three year old lab. Wonderful dog for the most part. Smart, loyal, obedient, no issues. Well, except that she has chosen ME as her person, and follows me every.where.I.go. Drives me insane. I can't get away from her. Okay, but most days I can handle it, I know she does it out of love...so I grin and bear, and cross my fingers that maybe I can make it to a room and shut the door firmly enough that she can't come barging in.

But it's the frigging barking at everything and nothing! It's not just doorbell-rings barking. It's every little noise, every little thing...things we can't even hear, I assume she's hearing, she goes crazy barking her big mean, scary bark (which is such a joke anyway, cuz I know the first thing she'd do is roll over and wait for a tummy rub if someone came in).

We'd love to leave the windows open during this nice cool fall. She'll look out the window and bark all.night.long if we did. She's done it before.

We use "Hush!" and "Be Quiet" frequently, and she'll stop for a second, but then is right back it it.

Never mind the protection factor. At this point, she's like the boy who cried wolf...even if she was barking at a bad guy coming in, I'd never believe her until I saw him with my own eyes.

She is driving me insane with the barking. Plus Monday I start a new client where I will be taking phone calls, and can not have background noise. Unless I can get her to stop it, I am going to have to lock her in the bedroom whenever I work (I work from home). She'll hate that.

We have a barker here too. My friend told me to try one of those calming vests that applies pressure. She used one with her dog and it helped with the barking and the obsessive following of the dog's person. I'm hoping it will work. My next step is the collar. We were looking at a vibrating one. I haven't seen the one that blows air at them so I'm going to check that out too. My sister used one of those shock collars, but her dog became a neurotic mess. I could never use that on my fur baby!

Do you have my Lab?:lol: God bless her heart, but my old lady (8years old) barks at butterflies landing too close to the house. I have calmed her a bit. When the UPS guy, a frequent visitor to the house (I am a good homeschool mom), comes, my old lady barks ferociously. Now, I know she knows the guy, and the worst she would do was pee on him, I have talked to her calmly and gotten her to chill a bit. I don't know about you, but my dh works a lot of night shifts. I want my gal to bark at weird things. During the day, when she barks at a bird landing within 30ft of the house, I tell her she is a good girl, but she needs to HUSH. I honestly think she would rip out the throat of anyone who tried to mess with her (my) kids. Labs are great, but you have to be firm with them. They are people pleasers. If you say "Good girl. HUSH!", it seems to work.

What kind of exercise and obedience/trick training does she get? Maybe I'm reading something into your post that's not there, but to me she sounds like an extremely bored dog who's trying to find something to occupy herself. Many young labs, especially if field bred, need a lot of physical and mental activity to stay sane. Hanging out with the family just doesn't cut it for young sporting breed dogs, nor does a walk or two around the block at a typical human pace. They need lots of hard running every day, plus some time spent on mental exercise. There really is a LOT of truth to the saying that a tired dog is a good dog.

Have you worked on a "hush or "quiet" command? Is she crate trained, or have you taught her a "place" command so that she knows to go to a specific spot and stay there? Some dogs have to be taught to chill out.

You can try aversives. I'd start first with a squirt bottle, although considering how much most labs love water I'd be surprised if that works very well. You can also try a shake can. Put a few pennies in an empty, dry soda can and tape over the lid. Whenever she barks toss the can in her direction to startle her and give her a command like "hush" or "quiet."

In your dog's case, if you're sure she's getting plenty of mental and physical exercise and she's still exhibiting these behaviors, then I think one of the calming vests (ThunderShirt, Anxiety Wrap, etc.) might be helpful.

Anti-bark collars, especially "shock" collars, are controversial but I do think there are instances where they're an appropriate tool. I think they should always be a last resort. I don't care for and would not use a citronella collar. I think they're incredibly inhumane considering how very sensitive a dog's nose is. Plus the smell lingers for a long time, which IMO tends to confuse dogs and "punishes" any other pet(s) in the home. I prefer a very good quality "shock" collar like TriTronics or Dogtra. The "shock" is instantaneous and then over and done with. It is (or should be) a very clear message to the dog. Of course you always start on the lowest setting and increase as needed.

What kind of exercise and obedience/trick training does she get? Maybe I'm reading something into your post that's not there, but to me she sounds like an extremely bored dog who's trying to find something to occupy herself. Many young labs, especially if field bred, need a lot of physical and mental activity to stay sane. Hanging out with the family just doesn't cut it for young sporting breed dogs, nor does a walk or two around the block at a typical human pace. They need lots of hard running every day, plus some time spent on mental exercise. There really is a LOT of truth to the saying that a tired dog is a good dog.

Have you worked on a "hush or "quiet" command? Is she crate trained, or have you taught her a "place" command so that she knows to go to a specific spot and stay there? Some dogs have to be taught to chill out.

:iagree:

My first question is "How much exercise is this lab getting?"

Also, have you tried adding white noise to drown out outside sounds?

Here are some ideas for toys that give the doggie mind a good workout but are cheap to make--

You can make your own food dispensing toy by using a muffin tin, tennis balls, and your dog's favorite treats. Simply fill each section of the tin with some treats, place tennis balls on top, and give to your dog! This game can be made more complex by leaving some of the sections empty, using balls of different sizes or textures, or flipping the tin upside down.

You can fill a 2L bottle with treats (well, not fill, just put in a handful of regular dry food or maybe a few treats), screw on the cap, and punch a few holes in. The dog will roll it around to get the treats out. It's rather loud, but it does occupy them.

Kongs are great, as are frozen, hollow shank bones (I think they are shank bones--they are straight, about 7 inches long, and contain marrow when you buy them). Fill with peanut butter or spray cheese and freeze. Pupsicles! These keep my Golden busy a long time. They don't splinter.

We also used the shake can with our Golden. It only took a few weeks to break the habit. That isn't working with the pom-chi because it scares him everytime and he pees and then starts shaking. We have decided to go with a shock collar made for small dogs, the ones that go off automatically if the dog barks not the ones that require you to push a button in time for the do to learn the cause and affect. That way he will learn that it is his behavior that causes the shock and basically teach himself. I know some people think those are inhumane but we briefly used one with the Golden during training and every member of the family tried it at the setting that we used on the dog and it was not painful. It was just enough to grabb your attention. Our collar had a tone you could hit before you hit the shock and after a week just hitting the tone was enough to get the dog to obey.

For the record, our Pom-Chi did not used to bark until one of the kids brought a strange dog in the house when he was still a puppy against my express directions not too. The dog saw it as a threat to his territory and that is when the barking started. It has got progressively worse since then. He barks anytime the door opens or closes, anytime he hears a doorbell (even on tv), anytime he sees any animal or any person of any kind outside the windows, if he hears people talking outside or hears them from upstairs when they are downstairs. Caging doesn't help nor does confining him to our room. He is ok if he is sitting in your lap because he knows you can swat him but if he is out of reach he will not quite bark but sort of ruff. After talking to the trainer and vet they have both said that the collar is probably the quickest most humane way and that he would probably learn within a week especially if he is a heavy barker.

my dog, a rescue who was with the rescue organization for 5 years, and i've had him now for 2, barks at noises and like CRAZY at my husband. I've found the best way to get him to stop barking is to make him came and sit next to me. if he is still looking alert, like he wants to go 'defend' me, i tell him to lie down. So he knows i'm in charge of him, its not his job to go defend me.

he came crate trained so we put him there for bed.

but he's 10 years old and does not need as much exercise - when he seems esp hyper, i make my 16 yo take him outside and chase him. 3 minutes max, he's exhausted lol! i cant imagine taking care of a young dog . . i have an injury and cant even walk this old dog any more.

Our dog isn't an incessant barker like yours, but something like this might help. Ours used to bark when it was time for a walk. If she barked, I'd either wait for a brief pause in the barking, or if none was forthcoming, would hold her muzzle a couple seconds, then immediately put the leash on (the leash was the reward.) Now when we get ready to go, she usually goes and sits quietly. If she doesn't, I turn my head away and wait. (usually I need to wait only a couple seconds before she's quiet.)

So this weekend, I would suggest getting something your dog likes (if it's a food lover, bits of cheese,etc. should work.) When the dog barks, give a "Hush!" command (or whatever you say) , hold the muzzle briefly and if it's quiet when you let go, pop the treat in immediately. This rewards the "quiet" part. Work hard on that until the dog responds to your "hush!" command.

From your post, it doesn't sound to me like your dog has the foggiest idea of what you want.

We have adopted a chihuahua mix, lovely and clever little dog but she does have the obnoxious chihuahua bark.

I have read and what you have to do is train them on the quiet command. First start rewarding when they are quiet of their own accord (treats or toys) while you issue the command.

Then start issuing the command just before they are about to bark and reward when they are quiet.

The final stage is issuing the command once they have started barking and rewarding when they quiet down. It takes time. I have also read about squirting water if necessary.

We have seen a lot of progress but there is room for improvement.

There is a book called Click to Calm that was very helpful in re training our dog who became anxious noisy and aggressive after being attacked by our other dog (whom we no longer have)

The Thundershirt also works wonders for anxious clingy barky days around here. We have weather rolling in and he was pacing, following me around and making a bunch of noise. The Thundershirt calms him right down, he is sleeping now!

I always try to react in a calm way to barking and over excitement, otherwise I, as the pack leader, am just joining in the noisefest. Dogs respond incredibly well to our body language.

When both of mine are barking at something out the window and acting like fools I insert myself between them and the window, causing them to back up a couple of feet, give the sit hand signal and then treat once they have been quiet for about 3 seconds, saying good hush, in a quiet voice.

If they pop back up and start at the window again, I say Uh uh! and repeat the whole procedure.

About the following you around mine do that too, I am always in their line of sight if they can manage, and there is a party in the bathroom every morning when I wake up and stumble in there....at least until I kick them out! :glare: :lol:

I just don't let them in the kitchen, it is too dangerous to have them on the floor in there, so they lay in each doorway and watch me.

You might try some differentiation training. That is, teach the dog what you DO want them to bark at and REWARD them for it. For a while everytime the dog barks, check to see if it's something you want to know about. If it is, reward the dog (treat and praise), if it's not, ignore the dog and send "idiot dog" vibes. Many dogs will soon figure out which barks get them rewards and which gets them called an idiot.

What I would NOT do: calm the dog. A lot of people do this and I think it's often a mistake. Calming a barking dog can train them that "the way that I get pets and attention and cooing from my person is to bark and act crazy".

Even if the dog's barking is born out of anxiety, I don't think it's the best strategy. I think it just teaches them that they are correct to be anxious over whatever the problem is. If it's anxiety, I think the best thing to do is a combination of "dog, that thing is not big deal" type vibes when you are in the moment of anxiety and then desensitization training at other times. For dogs with extreme anxiety Bach's Rescue Remedy can be helpful.

Thanks, all, wise and useful ideas once again!

We have tried the shock collar a few years ago. It didn't really work all that well. The one time it worked, she squealled quite painfully, and my boys didn't like that. Then she figured out if she rolled around enough, she could get it to rotate around on her neck so the box that detects the bark would be out of placement. So I had to tighten sooo much on her so it would work, it seemed as if it was just TOOO tight for her to breathe.

We don't crate her as she's completely trustworthy. We did crate her until she was about 2 but then she actually learned how to get out of the crate. Yes, it's true. A completely metal type crate. We came home to her being out of the crate, roaming the house. Figured we must not have locked it all the way. Blamed DH, lol. Few days later, same thing, she's out of the crate. ???? Few days later, I made sure to put her in, put the latches firmly in place, get home, she's roaming the house?!?!? 4th time, put her in, latched it firmly, and set up a video camera. She actually would wiggle her body in a prone position, enough to bend the frame where the plastic tray insert slides in and out, just enough to slip under it. It was amazing to see, actually. We couldn't even tell it was bent until we looked at it closely after seeing her do it. So since she'd proven herself 4 times in a row that 1. She wouldn't stay in the crate, and 2. We could trust her in the house alone, we no longer crate her. Plus I had spent over $150 on that large, sturdy, metal crate, wasn't investing in another at that point.

The exercise part, yes, that's probably part of her issue. While the boys do play with her often and we take her for walks, she is a suburban dog with a surburban family so probably not getting enough exercise for her breed.

I'm definately going to take up some suggestions though. I'm going to try the spray bottle of water when I can find one if training doesn't seem to do the trick. I am going to start asap with the treat for hushing. She's definately food motivated and treats have worked for other training.

thanks again all! All suggestions were welcomed as I'm about at my wits end with the barking so I've got to get it nipped!!

Just remember to stay calm while trying to break her of the habit, we have a coondhound and a lab/heeler mix (we think) and when the get going at something, my first reaction is to yell and clap my hands and it NEVER works. At that point I have just joined the party :lol:

Having them wear a backpack during walks and slowly increasing the amount of weight is a great way to wear them out faster. It also seems to give some dogs a feeling that they are doing a job and can mellow them out IMO.

If it makes you feel any better Edy, our lab mix, has started trying to shove ahead of us in the hallway and going through doors. She was abused so we try to avoid stern verbal corrections or threatening body language as much as possible. She will cower and slink and sometimes pee and it is just awful.

So I have been walking down the hallway and through doorways like a drunken sailor for the last week. I try to use my spidey senses and block her on each side from being able to squeeze through and shove me out of the way.

According to my DH and DS it is funny to watch :glare: