Menu

1st grade, what do you use?

greenbabybottoms

My dd, 6, is almost ready to move up to 1st grade in much of her curriculum. We currently are using five in a row, Mcruffy math, explode the code and reading eggs for kindergarten. She has10 lessons left in reading eggs and she is 1/2 was through explode the code book 3. So reading/phonics is my 1st priority right now. She does enjoy the ETC books but would that be enough phonics instruction without some sort of supplement? I feel like she is a Pretty good reader for kindergarten, rarely having any problems with dr Seuss, dick and Jane, or other beginner readers. This is what I have been playing around with but I would love feedback.

Science-real science 4 kids per level

Social studies-story of the world

Spelling- not sure, maybe aas or other suggestions?

Math- also not sure, Mcruffy is working well for us now but not sure if so etching else would be better, she needs very hands on with math and also a spiral approach

Reading/phonics- open to suggestions

We focus on plenty of reading time at this age along with math (CLE 100) and writing/grammar (FLL/Phonics Pathways) - the three Rs.;) Science and History are group lessons for all ages (6-11). Along with this we do memory work of some poetry and the Bible.

CLE is a great spiral program which both of our girls do well in. We started them in MUS, but the mastery approach was not the best fit for them. Though ds11 seemed to thrive with it.

Edited by dereksurfs

I use k12phonics, started it in kindy and am keeping on with it. We don't do any spelling except what is in that program. I don't know anything about ETC so I'm no help there! I do know I have my son read books above grade level yet also have him read easy readers for fluency.

For math I use math mammoth, life of Fred, which covers many things, and Miquon math. We used it for the first time today and my son loved it.

For science we are picking and choosing different books or videos. We haven't delved into history yet. Probably in a few months I'll open up story of the world and first language lessons for language arts.

Other than that we read and listen to books.

My ds5 is doing some 1st grade work. He is doing Singapore Standards 1A for math and we are about halfway through it. He will also do 1B this year. He is doing Abeka Reading and Poetry 1. We are waiting until next year (which will be his official first grade year) to start FLL1, WWE1, and a spelling program. He will most likely do Rod and Staff Spelling 2 next year. For science, history, and foreign language I combine my kids, and we are using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2, Story of the World 1, Song School Latin, and Salsa Spanish. Next year he will continue to do science and history with ds8, but I'm not sure what I am going to do about foreign language with him yet. Ds8 will probably do Latin for Children A and ds5 will not be ready for that yet.

writing with ease level 1

first language lessons level 1

spelling workout a (switching to aas)

rod and staff second grade social studies

minimus latin

memoria press astronomy

basic music theory

handwriting (just a basic practice book)

rod and staff manners and health habits

explode the code 1 (will do book 2 and possibly 3 during the year as well)

beyond the code 1

My DD is in first and we use,

We do a weekly theme . This is more for her Pre-k aged brother but I try to find things for her also. This week DS is learning the letter L, so our theme for the week is leaves. We went on a leaf hunt to gather leaves and we looked up the kind of leaves we found. We are going to do this science experiment Friday http://littleaustinite.com/2009/11/pigment-chromatography/

Phonics: Explode the code (she is in the middle of book 3 as well) and The Reading Lessons.

Math: Horizons 1

Science: We use Singapore Early bird science as a jumping off point. We also do science based on what ever theme we are doing for the week.

History: Story of the world volume 1

Grammar : First Language Lessons

Literature : We are doing a Fairly Tale study.

Writing :New American Cursive book 1

Geography : Evan Moor Beginning Geography

Edited by AbbieJack

Spalding/O-G programs are the best for spelling and phonics, imo. Lots to choose from here:

Logic of English

Phonics Road

Spell to Write and Read

Writing Road to Reading

My first grader uses Math Mammoth, Spell to Write and Read, copywork, and she reads me a book. When she was learning to read we used OPGTR. Everything else we do is busywork, but she likes busywork.

This is what we are using currently with dd6:

Writing Road to Reading for spelling, phonics, and some writing

Scott Foresman for grammar

A combination of IEW Primary Art of Language and WWE2 for writing

MEP for math with MM blue to supplement a few areas (measurements, money). We were using McRuffy also, but when we ran out of levels for my oldest we tried switching to Saxon (no luck there) and found MEP which has worked very well for all of the kids. It is very spiral and you can make it hands on with manipulatives like c-rods and an abacus or any other random household items.

Science, geography, Bible, and art are covered using My Father's World Exploring Countires. We will be done with this in December and I am putting together homemade history and science (using Magic School Bus) which I will post on my blog when I am finished- hopefully in a week or two. Science and history at this age really doesn't need to be anything more than reading some great library books and maybe throwing a few experiments or nature walks in for fun!

She does quite a bit of memory work including Bible verses, poetry, hymns, and various other things.

I am using How to Tutor to teach her cursive (her request)

Most of what she does is just tagging along with her older brother. If she was my oldest I really don't think I would have her doing this much but for some strange reason she feels the need to keep up with him!

Right now my plan is to use sonlight core A. I know some say it's disjointed in core a but I don't care bc it gets us reading and learning about cultures which is exactly what we want for first grade.

I've started buying the SL books used and im about $70 in and half way done. :)

SL core A

FIrst language lessons 1

Writing with ease 1

Singapore math 1b/2a (just where we "should" be in the fall)

Reading on level from the library

Maybe handwriting but probably not

And maybe all about spelling 1 (not sure yet)

SL science A

My big girl is a 1st grader and here are the main programs we are using this year:

BJU Bible 1/2

BJU English and Spelling 1/2

BJU Heritage Studies 1

Horizons Math 3/4 and some Singapore Math 3

Mr Q's Life Science

Readers, library, music, art/crafts, read alouds, hand writing

PE, bike safety, health, patriotism (required by state)

I utilize this website often:

http://havefunteaching.com/

Edited by MissKNG

This is Pigby's first grade year, we use pretty much all the WTM recommendations.

WWE1

FLL1

StartWrite software

AAS2

MUS Alpha

SOTW1

ES Biology

Artistic Pursuits

For reading, he made it through OPGTR last year, so just reads on his own, reads aloud to me, and learns most of the rules again through AAS.

With my 1st grader I use:

Singapore Math

All About Spelling

Bravewriter Lifestyle (copywork, narration, poetry teatime, Friday Freewrites)

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and library books - We'll give SOTW a try when we get to that point, but for now we're still on prehistory.

Spanish with Salsa videos and bilingual books

New American Cursive (at her request)

Artistic Pursuits

Lots of read-alouds and independent reading

I will have a first grader in two months. Here is what I've bought but not used just yet:

Daily:

ABeka language arts (writing, spelling, reading, language)

MUS Alpha

Golden Children's Bible

Modern language: Xitsonga

Others to fit in:

SOTW 1

Science: 106 Days of Creation Studies from SCM

Art: Drawing with Children and Come Look with Me

Music: a picture book to teach the instruments and music to listen to that goes along with that theme

maybe an ABeka health book I'm borrowing

Excited to start some of this. :)

Math: We are finishing up Right Start B. I am planning on using Singapore Math and MEP after that.

Grammar: FLL

Writing: WWE, and we may continue with Zanor Bloser (or we may just do handwriting practice on our own)

Reading: We are using Sonlight Readers. I am also having my daughter quickly go through the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading just for review and to make sure we haven't missed anything.

Phonics/Spelling: We are using All About Spelling. We also review all of the letter sounds, vowel teams, consonant teams, etc. that she has learned thus far. We use the cards from Phonics Road (but the ones from AAS or homemade ones would be great for this as well).

Science: Real Science Odyssey along with lots of living books

History: A combo of TOG and SOTW

Edited by ForeverFamily

PlumCrazyMom, that looks like so much fun. I was inspired to go hunting for a chess teaching app for DS and found a dinosaur one which he should love. Thanks for the idea!

Grade 1 has ended up looking like this for DS this year (totally not how it started but what we fell into):

Prima Latina, Latin Memory Songs

Miquon, MCP, The Verbal Math Lesson

Cursive Copywork, part-time Classical Writing Aesop (grammar and phonics for spelling in the context of DS's writing)

Classical Conversations Acts and Facts cards

Ambleside Online Yr1 (want to add artist & composer study once I have my act together)

Daily reading aloud to me from books of interest

Piano

DS also pursues history, science and drawing on his own initiative

Here is my plan for next year when my 3rd child will be a 1st grader:

Math: Saxon 2

Language Arts: Phonics Museum 1 workbook and primers followed by Logic of English Cursive, Saxon Phonics 2, Veritas Press Literature 1 (and other living books from VP 1st grade), McGuffey Reader (the first one, hardcover version)

Latin: Latin's Not So Tough 1

Greek: Hey Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek 1

Logic: Building Thinking Skills Primary

Memory Work and Enrichment: CC Cycle 2, Character First, First Catechism, IEW Poetry Memorization, AWANA, family devotions and manners book

In Summer:

Math supplements: Carson-Dellosa Singapore workbooks, Activities for the AL Abacus (from Right Start), maybe Ray's Primary Arithmetic, Five Minute Fact Drills (by Susan C. Anthony)

History: SOTW 1

Science: Nancy Larson Science 2

Bible: A Child's Story Bible, The Gospel for Children (to memorize)

Language Arts: anything not finished during the year, VP literature books that don't come with guides to be used for narrations

And of course, family read alouds......

Here is my basic 1st grade plan:

Reading: Little Stories for Little Folks and TONS of other books

Phonics: ETC

Copywork

Math: Right Start and Miquon

Maps, Charts, and Graphs B (my son LOVES this)

Science: NOEO Bio

History: American history using D'Aulaires biographies and some other books (basic intro to American history)

Picture study: Renoir, Rembrant

Composer Study: Carnival of Animals

World cultures: Asia, Europe, and Australia (finishing our trip around the world using picture books, folktales, animals, food, etc)

Religion: Neumann Press books

We also read lots and lots of books, both picture book and chapter books.

We currently are using five in a row, Mcruffy math, explode the code and reading eggs for kindergarten.This is what I have been playing around with but I would love feedback.

Science-real science 4 kids per level

Social studies-story of the world

Spelling- not sure, maybe aas or other suggestions?

Math- also not sure, Mcruffy is working well for us now but not sure if so etching else would be better, she needs very hands on with math and also a spiral approach

Reading/phonics- open to suggestions

I would keep using Five in a Row if you are both enjoying it. It will cover your social studies/science in a gentle way, especially if you pick up some related books at your library to go along with your Rowing. (In other words, I don't think you need to add social studies/science right now. When you get tired of Rowing, pick up SOTW 1 & start RS4K. There is no hurry.)

If you do AAS, you won't need another phonics program. Keep up reading to her and having her read to you. If she enjoys ETC, by all means keep it. Otherwise, AAS will give you enough.

Math - If McRuffy is working for both of you, KEEP DOING IT. The grass is not greener for everyone. You'll read lots of people's opinions on The Best Math Program & you'll see plenty of threads on here about math woes. It is best to stick with one program as long as it is working for you both.

Roll into 1st grade gradually. It doesn't have to be a sudden transition. Don't forget park days, field trips, spontaneous art/craft projects, and listen to some music while you are working. Don't stop having fun!

[My dd#3 is finishing up the second half of her first grade year & will be "promoted" to 2nd grade in January. She'll continue working on the same stuff that is in my signature line. During the first half of her 1st grade year, we did math, lots of reading, some Spell to Write & Read, and lots of crafts.]

I would keep using Five in a Row if you are both enjoying it. It will cover your social studies/science in a gentle way, especially if you pick up some related books at your library to go along with your Rowing. (In other words, I don't think you need to add social studies/science right now. When you get tired of Rowing, pick up SOTW 1 & start RS4K. There is no hurry.)

If you do AAS, you won't need another phonics program. Keep up reading to her and having her read to you. If she enjoys ETC, by all means keep it. Otherwise, AAS will give you enough.

Math - If McRuffy is working for both of you, KEEP DOING IT. The grass is not greener for everyone. You'll read lots of people's opinions on The Best Math Program & you'll see plenty of threads on here about math woes. It is best to stick with one program as long as it is working for you both.

Roll into 1st grade gradually. It doesn't have to be a sudden transition. Don't forget park days, field trips, spontaneous art/craft projects, and listen to some music while you are working. Don't stop having fun!

[My dd#3 is finishing up the second half of her first grade year & will be "promoted" to 2nd grade in January. She'll continue working on the same stuff that is in my signature line. During the first half of her 1st grade year, we did math, lots of reading, some Spell to Write & Read, and lots of crafts.]

This was kind of my plan to go gradually. I was hoping to start with some sort of phonics/reading first and do it for about a month before adding something else new. I'm think of starting with first language lessons after Christmas and going from there. I am estimating she will be done with math around march. We will keep up with etc just because she enjoys the workbooks. At this point I really don't know that she's learned a lot from them but I think it's actually my fault, I should have bought the 4th book instead of te 3rd. I didn't realize the one I have was so easy for her until I got sidetracked last week while she was doing it and by the time I came back to check on her she had breezed through 15 pages, I generally only ask her to do 1 or 2 a day.

My other though though was to let her just continue with etc workbooks, reading together and our math until around march (when she should finish the kindergarten math) then take a month or two off before starting first grade over the summer. We are stay inside and hibernate from the heat summer people but during the spring and fall have a hard time not being outside. I thought it would be nice to have those few spring months off and plan lots of field trips then just start back full swing in June.

Do most of you take a long "summer" break or shorter random breaks throughout the school year?

I don't love 5 in a row. I like the concept but I really need something more concrete. My girls enjoy reading the stories over and over so we do the reading but don't always do a lesson with it, I just kind of base it on how our day is going.

He is doing LOE's manuscript book and a little bit of handwriting in Saxon Phonics 1 already but no copywork yet. Later this year he will do Phonics Museum K as a supplement (just the workbook and primers) and that has a little copywork in it. He will also do the Veritas Press Literature K guide when he is reading more and that has a little bit of copywork to it as well, but none of those are daily. The focus this year is more handwriting than copywork in all the materials I have. He already knows a plain manuscript style but he is learning more of a D'Nealian style this year. So I'm just wondering if WTM or Teaching the Trivium authors would feel he needs to be doing actual copying of sentences. I could have him copy from Bob Books I guess. In the beginning of the year I thought he would be doing Pre-Scripts from CC but they have delayed that until this spring so it was no longer part of my curriculum plans.

I know LOE author, Denise, would say they shouldn't be doing copywork they can't read. What say you?

We will start in a few months ... as of right now, this is what I'm planning:

Math: CLE 100

LA : CLE LA 100

History/Science/Bible/art/music: What we are doing as a group ... haven't decided yet

Reading: LTR 105-109 and plenty of read alouds/practice

Do most of you take a long "summer" break or shorter random breaks throughout the school year?

I take shorter breaks as needed. I'm not sure what most people do. It appears to me that it is more typical to take a long summer break but still there are a lot who school year round with more but shorter breaks so I don't know how accurate my perception is.