Menu

What are you getting your kids for Christmas?

I have no idea except for my son. He will get food, clothing, etc to help him as he is working full time at a wage just a bit above minimum wage and living on his own.

I don't have any ideas for my dd19, for whom what I really, really want is a treatment that stops her fainting and gives her back her life.

DD who will turn 16 a week before Christmas __ I don't know anything for her for her birthday or Christmas.

At least I don't have to get anything for dh for his birthday or Christmas- he bought himself a woodworking tool for his anniversary present and it cost enough to cover the other two holidays too. He will also get a cd or two plus a shirt or tie.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to get Sylvia a Fire and Rebecca an iPod. I wasn't that impressed with the Fire, though, and I'm rethinking the whole electronic gadget thing altogether. So I am at a loss for Sylvia. I'm thinking dance lessons along with the leos and shoes necessary for that. Then I was going to get her her own B&BW shower gel. Other than that... :confused:

Rebecca is easy peasy. We're going to get her a cheap prepaid phone - she doesn't really need it by any means, but she would D-I-E for a phone. It's an inexpensive WOW gift. Then I'm thinking a folding beam. She'll get a couple new leos and shorts, possibly a subscription to AG or a gymnastics mag, and some stocking stuffers. Also an inexpensive MP3 player and an AHG Explorer uni for her AG dolls. I need SS ideas.

Not Christmas by Youngest turns 7 in 2 weeks.

He has asked for nail clippers. I'm not sure why. He also asked for Lego men.

I am getting him a Lego Advent calendar, and some nail clippers with a picture on them so he can tell his pair from mine.

His extended family will likely get him something Lego related, and Gramma will get him some clothes.

I was going to get him a book. But there is nothing book related he wants that he will read more than once.

I have a 17 year old daughter and the family gift which just includes myself and my daughter is the WiiU Deluxe version, the new gaming system from Nintendo. We will also get a couple of games for the new system.

She really likes Pokemon so she will get a Pokemon plushie plus some clothes, her favorite Japanese pop drinks from World Market and some cash.

We try to do 4 gift from us: something they want, something they need, somethig to share and something to read.

What those will be this year I have no idea.

What types of things do you do for the share requirement? I have heard this poem before but always heard something to wear instead of share. That doesn't really work for us as my children always have enough clothes, so I really like the share idea.

We try to do 4 gift from us: something they want, something they need, somethig to share and something to read.

What those will be this year I have no idea.

We do something very similar here, only we also give $10 per child for a sibling gift. Our budget this year is very tight, and next year is looking even more grim for school stuff so I am turning as many of the fun extras as I can into presents this year. I do the buying for one of my grandmother's gifts for the kids, (she sends me the money, I buy and wrap the loot, and she gets to see them open it Christmas Day), and have stretched it well if I do say so myself.

This is what I know the kids are getting from grandparents, etc. that is for everyone:

Magic School Bus DVD Set

Settlers of Catan Jr

Ticket to Ride expansion

Hive expansion

Quirkle

Geopuzzles

Microscope

Our gifts to the kids:

Punk:

New backpack

Call of the wild

Bionicale

Action figure (from siblings)

Sister:

Wall mirror

The little princess

Lego set

Lego (from siblings)

Bug:

Blanket

Night Poems

Bionicales

Lego (from siblings)

I love how excited my kids are at Christmas, but really stress out about all the stuff that comes into the house; just typing it out is making me anxious!

DD will be getting her first guitar and lessons, art and baking supplies, doll accessories, clothes, a nice, hardcover version of Little Women and a few other books.

DS has a birthday in two weeks, so he'll be getting clothes, sports equipment and a few books he wants then. For Christmas, he'll get a new guitar and a hardcover classic (maybe Dickens or Dumas?), but I have no idea what else!

My boys are 16, 15, 13, & 11. Some ideas I have:

Books

Hammock

Pistol crossbow (not a toy)

Swords & shields (Vision Forum, not the wooden ones)

Nerf swords

Pop-up camo blind

Arrows for their bows

Disc golf

Board games

Mp3 players

Pocketknives

Boots, cowboy hat for 13 yo

Ds16 is getting a compound bow for his birthday this month. It's a Diamond Infinite Edge and is adjustable so that all the boys can use it and he will be able to use it into adulthood.

Edited by Cindy in FL.

They're getting quilted throws I made for them this summer, they're both getting legos, gift certificates to a couple places (the movies, a pottery place, and Barnes & Noble), DS is getting a video game. DD might be getting a My Twinn doll, though it depends. I bought a couple used dolls and I'm redoing it myself to make it look like her, so if I have time to do it and I don't ruin the doll when I change out the eyes, she'll get it this year. If not, she'll get it for her birthday next September.

I just pushed the BUY button on an Octonaut's Octopod for dd. I am half expecting an email from Amazon in the next hour, however, that it already sold. We will see. She would love it.

Maybe a bow & arrow for ds. Too much going on right now to think about it, but it will be here before I know it.

DD 10- Kindle Fire, a bike, homemade lego table (off Pinterest) and some "girly" stuff like lotions and body washes for her stocking. My family is getting her AG clothes, amazon gift cards, a blow dryer, and Lego friends sets.

DS6- homemade lego table, 20 ds games (hit a great yard sale!!) and Skylanders. My family is getting him lego sets.

DS4-homemade lego table, 20 ds games and a used DS (yard sale find). My family is getting him lego sets.

My DH got the boys a 4 wheeler to share.

My Mom use to put a lump of coal in our boot (Similar idea to stocking) It turned out to be made of licorice.

I saw someone on Pinterest had made lumps of coal out of Rice Krispies treats. I'm thinking of doing that!

Here it is:

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2010/12/advent-day-1-christmas-coal/

Edited by Mommy22alyns

Legos. More Legos. Some Transformers. And more Legos. That's all they really seem to want (other an iPad -- and if anyone's getting an iPad, it will be Mama!). DD wants more of the pink Legos, DS1 wants Technic Legos, and DS2 wants the LOTR set with Gandalf.

Oh, and they asked for some Legos.

I am totally at a loss for the 1 1/2 year old. He's #4, and the third boy in a row. We seem to have everything a toddler could want, but I want him to have something to play with.

Ah, yes, I nearly forgot -- all of them want some Legos. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My 14 year old short track speedskater has asked for two things...

The green insulated exercise skirt from Skhoop, and the Star Trek bike jersey from ThinkGeek.

I'm not quite sure what the other kids are getting yet.

Our kids always get three gifts each. When our girls were babies, we were a graduate student family with no money. At the time, we joked that if three gifts were good enough for baby Jesus, then three gifts were good enough for our kids! It's worked out so well, and made my shopping so easy, that we've just stuck with it.

Most of our Christmas gifts usually come from either ThinkGeek or MentalFloss. :D

At the moment, I know we'll get her a an itunes gift card ($15 or $25, depending on what else she gets) for Solstice, along with a Dr. Who tardis ipod charger case my husband is making for her. For Christmas, we do stockings, so she'll get some candy, one volume of manga, some makeup samples (for experimentation, not wearing outside the house yet), maybe some art supplies.

My parents give us all $10-20 (can't remember if they've changed the amount) each the day after Thanksgiving to buy our own gifts, which we wrap and bring to their Christmas party, so she'll probably use hers for more itunes. My in-laws are taking her to Disneyworld the first week of December, so I've told her to consider that as her likely present from them, though I wouldn't be surprised if they got her a little something else. She's the only grandchild on that side, one of about 20 grand-and great-grandchildren on my side of the family.

Not sure yet dd will be four on the 26th of this month so we will have to see what she gets then. I do have an amazon wish list for her and will see what Walmart has for black friday (her birthday party will always be the saturday after Thanksgiving). I just hope people don't buy her a bunch of dollar store junk or stuffed animals outside of beanie babies. She loves playing with her beanies and I prefer them over the plastic animals, much softer on the feet if she forgets to put one away :)

My 14 year old short track speedskater has asked for two things...

The green insulated exercise skirt from Skhoop, and the Star Trek bike jersey from ThinkGeek.

I'm not quite sure what the other kids are getting yet.

Our kids always get three gifts each. When our girls were babies, we were a graduate student family with no money. At the time, we joked that if three gifts were good enough for baby Jesus, then three gifts were good enough for our kids! It's worked out so well, and made my shopping so easy, that we've just stuck with it.

Most of our Christmas gifts usually come from either ThinkGeek or MentalFloss. :D

What do you wear for leggings with that skirt? Something exercise ish?