Menu

A 1 mo old kitten found me - now what? Long narrative.

We need a kitten rescue train. :001_smile: We do rescue trains all the time on the Bearded Dragon rescue site that I'm a part of.

I would be happy to take him and spoil him, but I'm about 5 hrs. away in Delaware. Anyone in between willing to be part of a train to drive short legs of the trip from Pittsburgh, PA to get him from Point A to Point B? I could make it as far as Nottingham, PA (Herrs Potato Chip Factory area); which is about 45 min. away from me or Rising Sun, MD (Plumpton Park Zoo area).

I'm not anywhere close to either of you, otherwise I would! If you're serious, you should make a post to see if anyone is willing to help.

When are you going to post a picture of Owly?? :D

The farmer came over here -- it is not her cat. She will take it, though, if no one else does. She was not enthusiastic about that -- she did not leave with the cat. She does not get her farm cats spayed or neutered. I asked why and she said that so many of them get hit by cars that it isn't worth it.

I called a guy down the road whose daughter is a known softie when it comes to animals, and one of her cats died recently. So I embarked upon a sales pitch, and when she gets home from work, he will ask her if she wants this cat. I made sure to mention that if I can't find a home for the cat, it will cost me $75 to have it put down. I'm pretty sure the lady won't be able to stomach that happening. :D

12 shelters said they were not taking any cats.

None of my kids friends or teachers want the cat.

I took the cat out for a walk today, so it would get some exercise. It followed me the whole time. If I stopped, it sat on my foot and looked around. I taught it how to leap from log to log on a pile. I also showed it a couple of hollow logs, but it would not go inside one to explore.

DD named the cat Mr. Nibbles. If we were keeping the cat, his name would still be Owl Bait. I am tired of the kids getting to name every animal we get. My name choices are much better. I am still irritated with myself that I didn't insist Aidan be named Jetson.

The farmer is so short that when Aidan stands on his hind legs, he comes up to her neck! I wisely (for a change) did not comment on that.

I am sure he will not be our cat. DD's allergies are way too severe. He seems to think I am his mother. He follows me around, he is always looking at me, and his mouth is open most of the time because he squeaks until I let him onto my lap.

This is my Sweetie Wheatie. I love him to bits, even though he gets into mischief when my back is turned.

Edited by RoughCollie

Oh my goodness, that kitten is so adorable. And it seems he has a great personality - I love how he follows you around. If I didn't already have a senior female and a high maintenance 1 year old I'd take him in a heartbeat. (And I live just a few hours south of you!)

Here are pics of the cat. He weighs 13.8 oz. My dog weighs 60x that. Today the cat figured out 3 different ways to get into my lap from the floor.

[ATTACH]10535[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10537[/ATTACH]

Hey, he qualifies for priority mail flat rate. :D (Just kidding :tongue_smilie:)

Go ahead, try to change the subject with dog pictures!:auto:

The center picture was taken a couple of weeks ago, when Aidan and I went on vacation with my mom. His hair is finally growing out after I clipped him way too short.

Can you believe that one of the kids' friends came over today expressly so I could give him a haircut with his own clipper! I told him he must be crazy, since he saw how Aidan looked after I clipped his hair. I wonder if he'll let me borrow them for Aidan -- they are the same brand, but somehow the guy did not end up bald.

Sadly, the guy's father is allergic to mammals, so I couldn't foist the kitten off on him. This guy has had a crush on DD for 6 months, and she wasn't home today. So I gave him free advice on how to meet a girl in the cafeteria at college, how to ask her out, and how if he gets rejected there are plenty of fish in the sea.

The worst part was that I came home after going to pick up meat, and I didn't remember that DD went to a friend's house after school. She called and said, "Do you know where I'm calling from?" I answered, "Your room?" So now she knows that the memory I have of seeing and talking to her was from this morning, but only because she is wearing a new outfit and I described it perfectly.

This cat has got to go. I'm so busy trying to find it a home, teach it how to do cat things, and preparing meals for it (it is picky)! I'm going crazy here. Now I have to go offer the cat his third dinner -- he rejected the first two. We are back to Evo 95% salmon and herring, well watered down. He rejected the kitten food tonight, even though I fixed it 3 ways: dry, moist, and watery mush!!!! He is too thin; he has to eat! I probably should not have taken him outside for exercise. I want to keep his muscles in shape so they don't atrophy, but he used up calories he is not replacing.

Oh, how I wish I were a spinster who has a pet rock.

Edited by RoughCollie

We are firm believers that animals pick us. You have been blessed with little Owly it seems :D. She is so, so cute and appears to be a complete sweetheart.

Just 2 months ago, I nearly hit our newest kitty while driving in our neighborhood. I had ds9 jump out to check on her, and she followed him home and refused to leave. We named her Clementine, and she's been a great addition to our family.

I wish I could help you with your little one!

post-4175-13535087637637_thumb.jpg

post-4175-13535087638087_thumb.jpg

post-4175-13535087637637_thumb.jpg

post-4175-13535087638087_thumb.jpg

.... He is too thin; he has to eat! I probably should not have taken him outside for exercise. I want to keep his muscles in shape so they don't atrophy, but he used up calories he is not replacing.

Oh, how I wish I were a spinster who has a pet rock.

Ummmm....based on the pics I'm pretty sure your "he" is a "she". If you care, check her butt, if you see dot dot it's a girl, if you see dot space dot, it's a boy, the space is for "things" to come, iykwim.:D

I'm also pm'ing you!

I'm not anywhere close to either of you, otherwise I would! If you're serious, you should make a post to see if anyone is willing to help.

I am 200% dead serious. Truly, if anyone would be willing to drive a leg and the OP is interested, I am absolutely serious.

Ummmm....based on the pics I'm pretty sure your "he" is a "she". If you care, check her butt, if you see dot dot it's a girl, if you see dot space dot, it's a boy, the space is for "things" to come, iykwim.:D

I'm also pm'ing you!

Okay. I'll check it in the morning. But it seems to be missing a crucial part ... what about that one? Note the *one*, not two!

Also, what kind of cat is this? I know it's a DSH, but is it a tortie, or what? IOW, what word best describes its fur? It's colors are brown, dark brown, and cream.

This weekend I hope to find out if the soft-hearted lady will take the cat. I'll be gone from 7:30 a.m. until mid-afternoon tomorrow because I'm making a trip to Costco (it is far away). While I'm out, I'm going to buy KMR and 2 kitten bowls. The vet said to feed it KMR. It has to eat more. It finally ate dinner -- how much, I couldn't tell. It doesn't eat like a dog does, all at once. It eats for a minute, stops for three minutes, starts and stops, over and over. I have to hold it in my lap, or it won't eat. Maybe I should get a bottle, too, in case it will eat more that way.

The poor dog has to prove to me that he really has to go out, and doesn't merely hear a cat, before I'll open the door. I nearly had heart failure when we stepped onto the dark porch tonight and there was something lying in the shadows that could have been a cat. Thankfully, it was Aidan's stuffed purple spider from last Halloween.

Edited by RoughCollie

Here are pics of the cat. He weighs 13.8 oz. My dog weighs 60x that. Today the cat figured out 3 different ways to get into my lap from the floor.

[ATTACH]10535[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]10537[/ATTACH]

S/he's adorable!! I hope the nice lady wants him/her. Owly sounds like such a sweetheart. :001_smile:

Try cutting back on the water mixed in with the canned food, and see if it still agrees with his stomach. It will help him get more calories per bite, which is especially important for cats in general, and kittens in particular. They do tend to eat often, regardless. :tongue_smilie:

Try cutting back on the water mixed in with the canned food, and see if it still agrees with his stomach. It will help him get more calories per bite, which is especially important for cats in general, and kittens in particular. They do tend to eat often, regardless. :tongue_smilie:

I did that, RaeAnne, and he/she/it wouldn't eat it. It has to be very watery. I think the KMR is a good idea because it should get more calories into the cat. The vet said it should eat that for the next 2 weeks, given that it is about a month old and is so thin.

The cat must think I'm its substitute mother. It only eats when I am holding it, and it eats more when I stroke its back with one finger. I hold it against my stomach and it curls up and gazes at me -- at my face -- making constant eye contact unless I look away. Then it lies on its back and goes to sleep. It's like holding a baby. I thought about softly meowing to it, but that's taking things too far.

I think someone is secretly already attached. :001_smile:

Nope. I just want to do what is best for the cat while I have it. I figure since he's helpless and I've got him, it's my duty to do my best for him. Mostly I am thinking about how to find a home for him, and checking him over for fleas, mites, signs of disease, worms, and injuries, and hoping he doesn't have germs. I have used two rolls of paper towels on drying my hands (after washing them thoroughly) since he's been here. I change my shirt or apron every time I hold him, and place a towel on my lap when I do. I wonder if I should wear disposable latex gloves when I handle him, but I don't.

I'd feel better if he had a bath (which I think he is too fragile for), and if he had been to the vet. I do not want to spend $108 just for a checkup and tests to see if he has various feline diseases he would have caught from his mother. I can't recall the alphabet soup of diseases (if the vet had told me the actual names I'd remember). The vet told me how the mother cat usually gets them. A male cat gets into a fight with a diseased cat, and the male has open wounds. The male gets the disease and then transmits it to the female, who transmits it to the kittens -- the entire litter will have the disease and should be put down.

Anyway, I hope this kitten is healthy. Because if I spent $108, if he had one of these diseases, he'd have to be put down, and that would cost me $75. Then the vet would make me take his body home to bury (which infuriates me), unless I wanted to pay for cremating him (which is, as I recall, over $100 additional). All because some irresponsible idiot dumped a kitten.

If I owned a cat, I would not take in a stray unless I could keep it in another building (shed, barn, garage) away from my cat.

I just recalled that a few days ago, a red car I'd never seen before stopped in front of our house for about 1/2 minute, and then zoomed off before I had a chance to go out there to find out what was up. The car was on the wrong side of the road when it pulled over. I bet a passenger dumped the kitten and that's how he ended up across the road on the farmer's land. The driver's door was not opened.

If this cat had not been owl bait, I would have left it out there. We have great horned owls right here, I hear them all the time), and that kitten would have been history. During the day a few months ago, a hawk swooped 10' above Aidan while DD was nearby. So an alternate name for the cat would be Hawk Bait.

"The great horned owl takes a wide range of mammalian prey (including mice, rats, squirrels, rabbits, and skunks), avian prey (almost any species of bird), and fish and amphibian (especially frogs) prey. They also eat large insects and spiders among an assortment of other invertebrate species. " http://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/greathornedowl.htm

Four adult cats have disappeared lately at night (3 from the farm, 1 from down the road) with no sign of them at all. I wonder if an owl got them. No one has seen any coyotes around.

Edited by RoughCollie

I did that, RaeAnne, and he/she/it wouldn't eat it. It has to be very watery. I think the KMR is a good idea because it should get more calories into the cat. The vet said it should eat that for the next 2 weeks, given that it is about a month old and is so thin.

The cat must think I'm its substitute mother. It only eats when I am holding it, and it eats more when I stroke its back with one finger. I hold it against my stomach and it curls up and gazes at me -- at my face -- making constant eye contact unless I look away. Then it lies on its back and goes to sleep. It's like holding a baby. I thought about softly meowing to it, but that's taking things too far.

I'm wondering about worms, considering the weight, but hopefully not. I found a litter of kittens plus mama, and that was all they had, fortunately. I don't blame you for not wanting to pay all of that for a cat you won't be keeping. You can be Owly's aunt. Sometimes that is all we're called to do. :001_smile: I feel badly that you can't keep him/her when he is so attached, but I'm glad he's getting such good care in the meantime. Stupid cat I've never met, gah....

There is good news!

I had to go out today to buy cat supplies and groceries, so I was gone for 4 hours (1.5 hrs travel time).

DS3, who would not have let the kitten become owl bait either, but is not particularly interested in *her*, fed and played with her for two 45-minute sessions while I was gone.

DD came home with 2 of her friends, both of whom like cats. The guys played with the cat while DD got ready to go to the homecoming dance.

So the cat had lots of attention this afternoon.

DD, DS2, and a friend came here after the dance. She (the friend) fell in love with the cat. She texted her mother, who gave her permission to bring the cat home with her, so he will be leaving tomorrow evening.

The family has 2 kittens now that they are fostering for a cat rescue. The rescue will find a good home for this kitten too, and will make sure it gets vaccinated, neutered, and a general checkup at a vet.

The best part is that I don't have to take care of the cat any more. I showed her how to feed it, and all the supplies I bought. I told her to feed it every two hours, but she doesn't have to get up in the middle of the night to do so. She played with and fed the cat, then she, DD, and I watched episode 2 of Gray's Anatomy, then she went back to the cat.

Truth is, I didn't really have to show this girl anything. She knows plenty about cats, including how to tell whether a kitten is a girl or a boy. What I thought were budding male parts were spots of dark colored fur.

I feel a little bit anxious about sending this cat into the unknown. I'd rather have found a permanent family for her that I had personally checked out. But my leads all fell through, and I think the cat will fare better in a home checked out by the cat rescue than as a barn cat.

The farmer does not have her cats spayed or neutered because so many of them get killed by cars and farm equipment when they cross the road. Plus, she has had 3 adult cats mysteriously disappear without a trace in the past couple of weeks. So she was an option, but not the best option, and definitely not better than the cat going to a foster home while awaiting placement through a cat rescue service.

I bought the cat a litter box, bottles (which he wouldn't take, so he is weaned), toys, several cans Fancy Feast, a can of KMR 1 liquid, a can of KMR2 powder, 2 stainless steel bowls, 2 Sunday papers, and 2 packs of 30 puppy pads with which to line her crate. Her new family has plenty of cat litter, and the girl knows how to train the cat to use a litter box.

The cat eagerly lapped up 1.5 oz. of KMR 1 at each meal (she was offered 2 oz. each time) and ate about 1/2 tsp. of Fancy Feast.

I learned that 2 tsp of Fancy Feast microwaved for 10 seconds will explode and cover the interior with cat food bits. This excited the dog, who hunted all over the kitchen for Fancy Feast while I cleaned the microwave, and the girl fed the cat.

Thanks to KatherineTheGreat's assertion that the kitten is female, I bought a pink litter box.

I cleaned out the crate, and put in all the new stuff, so the cat will be ready to go. I am happy that I don't have to throw away any more old towels and clothes every time I turn around, since the cat did not use the litter tray I had in there for its intended purpose.

I also cleaned the cat with baby wipes tonight. While I was cleaning her, I realized that she already did that for herself, so my gigantic name brand sensitive something or the other box of baby wipes was kind of a blonde moment purchase.

I am 98% sure that the cat's name will be changed from Owl Bait to something less appropriate.

Edited by RoughCollie

I'm so glad that Owly is going to her new foster home! People who foster animals like that are very careful about where the cats go and will not thrust the cat out into the cruel world if a permanent family doesn't appear. (Perhaps if you tell them that her name is Owly, instead of Owl Bait, they won't be as tempted to change it. . . ;))

(Perhaps if you tell them that her name is Owly, instead of Owl Bait, they won't be as tempted to change it. . . ;))

I told them that some folks here call *her* Owly. That didn't wash. One of their foster kittens is named Machiavelli. I think they like labels, rather than names that actually describe the cat.

On the bright side, the cat likes Fancy Feast. Those cans are tinier than I remember. He's eating the last of the can I brought home at 7 pm now. His new owner mixed it with a little bit of KMR and a few pieces of dry cat food.

I still think of the cat as a him.

BTW, pet stores don't sell clothes for cats, so I didn't get to buy her a pink sweater. Based on the selection at Petco, cats seem to be the no-nonsense animals of the pet world. Even the fish have plants and castles, and there was plenty of fun stuff for the birds and rodents, too.

Unfortunately, the only shirts they had that would fit Aidan were made of a material I don't like and had the Steelers name and logo prominently displayed. Aidan is not the football, slippery material type. He's more Lands End or LL Bean in style, wool and cotton, not rayon. I still need to buy him a few shirts and a hat.

Edited by RoughCollie

RC, are you going to be OK when Owly goes to her new home? :grouphug:

Oh yes, I am thrilled. I can't quite believe she will be leaving this evening. I need the 98% of my brain back that has spent the last few days trying to find this cat a home. I have to decide on a color to paint my living room. I think the low point was when I realized, as I cleaned her with baby wipes, that I didn't need to do this as she cleans herself.

She's not as fun as you'd think. She wouldn't drink KMR out of a bottle. There are no clothes available for her. She cleans herself. I'd be better off with a Betsy Wetsy.

I would rather have given her to a permanent home, so I could check it out and make sure it is perfect. I wonder if that is a sign that I'm a control freak. The cat is better off nearly anywhere than in that barn.

Oh yes, I am thrilled. I can't quite believe she will be leaving this evening. I need the 98% of my brain back that has spent the last few days trying to find this cat a home. I have to decide on a color to paint my living room. I think the low point was when I realized, as I cleaned her with baby wipes, that I didn't need to do this as she cleans herself.

She's not as fun as you'd think. She wouldn't drink KMR out of a bottle. There are no clothes available for her. She cleans herself. I'd be better off with a Betsy Wetsy.

I would rather have given her to a permanent home, so I could check it out and make sure it is perfect. I wonder if that is a sign that I'm a control freak. The cat is better off nearly anywhere than in that barn.

OK, good. I was just worried that you sounded like you were maybe getting a little more attached than you realized, but I agree that adorable kittens are still a big responsibility, particularly if one doesn't really want that responsibility. Kind of like babysitting a little niece or nephew--they're sweet when you have them, but you are so glad when they go home :tongue_smilie:

I am so relieved that she won't have to go live in the barn. Truly, if my DH wasn't (supposedly) allergic, I'd have driven to you and taken her off your hands.

I am so relieved that she won't have to go live in the barn. Truly, if my DH wasn't (supposedly) allergic, I'd have driven to you and taken her off your hands.

You are very sweet! This morning I got a call about another woman who wanted her for a pet. Can't go back on my word, so I had to turn down a permanent home.

RC, are you going to be OK when Owly goes to her new home? :grouphug:

ETA: I think cats ARE the no-nonsense animals of the pet world. I can't imagine any cat I've ever known tolerating a kitty sweater, even the ones who seem to think they are actually dogs :lol:

I hope the kitten is happy in her new home!

We had a cat who liked wearing clothes -- t-shirts, mostly. I'm pretty sure our other cats thought he was some kind of nut, but he weighed close to 30 pounds (and he wasn't fat,) so probably none of them said anything to him about it. :tongue_smilie: He only wore the shirts on special occasions, though.

I have enjoyed reading this story about Owly, and I am so glad you've found her somewhere to go, even if temporary. I think the foster situation will be great for her.

I am sure she will find a permanent home soon; perhaps you can put the person who offered to take her in touch with the rescue/foster people and it will all work out in the end.

Bless you for taking the time and effort to make sure she found somewhere to go! You are a very special person!

I'm glad you found her a home. Now you can get to work on the two adult cats that our jerk renters abandoned. I've been feeding them everyday and wondering where all the kittens are. 8(

I'd get them neutered or spayed, were I you. Because if you don't have kittens now, you will soon.

:iagree: check with your county to see if there are any grants for this. i have gotten them before.

I might have found a place. I'm calling tomorrow. When they were living there they had about seven cats. I don't know if they took some and left others or if the kittens panicked and ran off.

You are very sweet! This morning I got a call about another woman who wanted her for a pet. Can't go back on my word, so I had to turn down a permanent home.

Oh gosh, make sure the rescue wanted you to do this! Or at least tell the lady how to contact the rescue.

I'm so glad you found a nice, safe place to send HER. I'm so happy you were the one to find her. Maybe you will be a cat lady someday, when life circumstances are different. :001_smile:

And cats are VERY high maintenance, just not in the low-class way dogs are. ;) Although if you're determined, an XS dog sweater can be used (S for a full-grown cat), not that I would know....