Menu

A 1 mo old kitten found me - now what? Long narrative.

All day I've heard a cat mewing. It was coming from the pasture across the road -- I know, because I was out there many times today looking for this distressed cat.

This evening DS3 asked me if I had been hearing a cat. He went out several times looking for it, and said it sounded like it was in the driveway near the house, but he couldn't find it.

At 9:30 pm, Aidan (our dog) desperately needed to go out. DS3 opened the front door and a kitten ran off the porch.

DS3 wrested Aidan to the floor, and I went out there and called the cat, and this tiny kitten raced across the yard to me. I have small hands and it fits in one of them. It immediately started purring and I wrapped my shirt and both hands around it in case it was cold.

This cat is about as big as two field mice. My hands are 6" long and he fits in one of them!

I called the neighbor, who came over around 10:30 when he got home, to see if the cat was from a litter his cat had -- no such luck. His kittens haven't opened their eyes yet. He has 2 litters of kittens over there now, and would not take this one.

My neighbor knows the farm owner and he went home to email her to come and get her cat tomorrow -- she's up around 4:30 a.m., so it was definitely too late to call her.

I took the kitten into the basement because he needed care and he'd be owl bait if he stayed out, and maybe die from exposure to the elements. We fed it some skim milk and it lapped it up -- but hardly any. Poor thing must be starving, so I stuck my finger in the bowl to see if he'd suck it to get milk, but he didn't. It would take me 1.5 hours to drive to Walmart and back, and I don't have any KMR.

We have a 3' high canvas laundry basket that we put him in, but he nearly got out when he climbed to the top!

We have a soft dog crate that Aidan broke the zipper on (Aidan likes to zip and unzip things). DS3 taped the foot long opening in the zipper on both sides with packing tape. He put a variety of soft materials, including towels, in the crate.

Meanwhile, the cat fell asleep in my hand, cradled against my stomach, after spending about 10 minutes cleaning himself. I wrapped him in a t-shirt - like he was in a bowl - and put him in the crate. DS3 added one of Aidan's soft toys -- a gingerbread man.

Aidan was breathing heavily and snuffling at the vent in the floor above the basement (there is no duct). So I put the crate under the piano, with the bandaged side of it against the piano's side in case the cat tries to escape.

In one corner I put a small bowl with 2T of milk in it. This is a 36" crate. Then I turned out the lights and went upstairs.

Problem #1: Is skim milk okay for a kitten that little? I probably have some canned evaporated milk if that would be better.

Problem #2: No litter box. I decided to throw away the things the cat is on, so hopefully that won't be a problem for him. This is a barn cat anyway. I do not want to wake him up by putting a shallow box with newspaper in it into the crate. When he is awake he wants me to hold him.

Problem #3: I have a 50 lb. terrier who has a very high prey drive. Obviously, he cannot be around the cat.

Problem #4: 2 of my children are highly allergic to cats. What do I do if the farmer won't take him? The shelter here is full up.

So what should I do in the morning? The kitten will be awake. Do I feed it more skim milk, and wait for the farmer to contact me?

I can't let the cat roam around the basement -- we will never see him again -- he is too tiny and, gosh, he could be attacked by a mouse.

I have already asked my husband to take two of the neighbors kittens to live at the office, because the neighbor has a whole lot of cats and DH loves cats. But he won't do it because he can't stand leaving the cats all alone there at night.

Advice would be helpful and appreciated. I've had cats before, but I've never been around one this tiny. I wonder how such a tiny cat can be so loud -- even his purr is loud. Do I need to set an alarm and get up to feed him during the night?

Thanks,

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

Mmm, well the milk was an okay stop-gap measure for now but generally it's not good for cats. Ugh, this is a hard one. Generally speaking a farm store will have kitten formula to feed it. The kitten might be old enough for hard cat food that is softened with a bit of water, but you have to keep an eye on the softened food for mold. Do you have a church or home schooling group you can post to that might be able to take the kitten?

Awwww. I wish I lived closer.

I wish you did, too! Now more than ever! Where's your advice? Start with what I should feed this cat, and how often! I don't want him to starve to death between now and 6 a.m. when I get up. DS3 wanted me to sleep in the basement with the cat. There is no way -- I'm sure there is a mouse or two down there. (DS3 is sick and has seen two surgeons today and yesterday about two surgeries he has to have soon, so there is no way he will be sleeping down there.) Everyone else in the family has been asleep since before I retrieved the cat.

The dog is the big problem. He is a velcro dog and he will bark, whine, and howl if I spend too much time with the cat. If we didn't have a dog, that cat would be asleep in a cereal bowl on my desk right now, and I would stay awake with it all night to make sure it is okay. OTOH, I want the dog, and I do not want a cat. Aidan has stuffed toys bigger than this cat -- and he shakes those toys to death. I have to keep them separated.

On top of everything else, I misplaced the home phone when I bought the cat inside. I took it outside with me so I could call my neighbor if I found a cat. I have no idea what I did with the phone because I've been focused totally on the cat.

I wonder what DH will say in the morning when he finds out about this. He's always worried that someone will dump a bunch of dogs in our yard, and I'll become the Crazy Dog Lady. Instead, we get a cat.

I have to say there is nothing cuter than a 2-mouse sized cat curled up in my hand, cleaning himself. He did a good job, too. There must be a gene for extra small cats around here, because the neighbor's mother cat looks like a half grown kitten -- she weighs about 5-6 lbs. This cat is tiny and very young, but he can do everything a regular cat can do already.

Edited by RoughCollie

Mmm, well the milk was an okay stop-gap measure for now but generally it's not good for cats. Ugh, this is a hard one. Generally speaking a farm store will have kitten formula to feed it. The kitten might be old enough for hard cat food that is softened with a bit of water, but you have to keep an eye on the softened food for mold. Do you have a church or home schooling group you can post to that might be able to take the kitten?

I know three people who are looking for homes for a total of 18 kittens, to no avail. One of my friends is looking for homes for a dozen adult cats, too. Everyone else I know has many dogs.

My car is in the shop. If I get it back tomorrow (this has been the promise for a week), I will be in town and will buy appropriate food for the cat. DH will do it, but he is gone from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Dog food and tuna aren't good for cats either, IIRC, so he is stuck with milk for the moment.

I have some poached chicken in the fridge. Can he eat that if I grind it up? I have some boiled ground beef in the freezer (for Aidan, if he gets sick). Can the cat eat that? What about a scrambled egg? I'm just not set up for cats. The neighbor gives his cats milk and they eat cat food and food they hunt, so he's no help. Cat food -- he has that -- I can get some from him and turn it to mush with boiled water.

What do farm kittens eat? The farm across the road is a dairy farm, and they have a lot of cats who all live outside (or in the barns). I'm pretty sure they don't have time to fuss over the cats, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully this will be a very short term problem.

Edited by RoughCollie

We've had a couple kittens at about a month old, and they've been willing to eat softened or hard cat kibble. I have pictures of the tiniest balls of fluff curled up near my oldest child when she was a baby, all three sound asleep. Those little fluffballs are almost 20 pounds now, so I'd think your kitten would give moistened cat food a good go.

If he doesn't make it, just lie and say he did, okay? :crying:

Do you have any canned cat or dog food?

I have canned dog food -- grain free, high quality stuff. Lamb, rabbit, and buffalo.

Should I go back down to the basement and keep an eye on the kitten? He didn't look or act like he was dying.

I have canned dog food -- grain free, high quality stuff. Lamb, rabbit, and buffalo.

Should I go back down to the basement and keep an eye on the kitten? He didn't look or act like he was dying.

IMO and I've raised a ton o kittens, he is probably fine. Cold, hungry, terrified, but fine.

When I find a cat, first I check their eyes, are they blue? Then they are under 8 weeks - generally speaking. Based on the size you are describing, I'd say about 4-5 weeks (but there are really small cats out there). If he/she is licking milk, then a little watered down smooshed dog food is going to be okay tonight IF he/she will eat it. Not good long term, but tonight it is okay. Make sure he/she has water tonight. A shoe box with some sand, flour, cornmeal etc will do for a litterbox in a pinch.

If he/she is awake, go see if the dog food will work. It will set your mind at ease tonight.

Oh, some additional thoughts... generally speaking, if the cat is super affectionate then there has been human interaction at a high level. Barn cats are not generally cuddled by their owners and are sometimes semi feral. Some people know that barns have barn cats and think that "one more" won't hurt and will just drop off unwanted cats in the general vicinity.

Barn cats eat anything that move: birds, mice, bats, snakes, bugs, groundhogs, etc.

Oh, some additional thoughts... generally speaking, if the cat is super affectionate then there has been human interaction at a high level. Barn cats are not generally cuddled by their owners and are sometimes semi feral.

This cat is very affectionate. His eyes are brown. He came running immediately when I called to him. He is not the least bit feral. I used to have a feral kitten, so I am sure about that.

This cat is very affectionate. His eyes are brown. He came running immediately when I called to him. He is not the least bit feral. I used to have a feral kitten, so I am sure about that.

Then he is just small. :001_smile: I would try the dog food.

I've got no advice on what to do with him other than to keep him, which you can't, I know.

I've got to go to sleep, but I wish you a restful night with your houseguest.

What do the little barn kittens eat once they are weaned? This little cat is too small to eat anything except bugs. Anything bigger, and he'd be the dinner.

I would assume mama barn cat gives them whatever she catches.

I would just go down and give him a little meal with the canned food if you can, just because skim milk isn't very satisfying for a kitty. He sounds like he is healthy, but gee, why make him stay hungry....

If he/she is awake, go see if the dog food will work. It will set your mind at ease tonight.

Thank you for your advice. I found some Evo 95% salmon and herring canned dog food in the pantry. I mixed 2 T with 4T of water.

When I unzipped the top of the crate, he woke up and started purring loudly. I put the bowl of food in there and he ate all but about 1 tsp. of it.

I put a shallow plastic (disposable) lid with high sides (for a lid) filled with flour in the crate. I was surprised that I didn't have any cornmeal. I replaced the milk bowl with one that has 3T of bottled water in it. He investigated both, then meowed for me to pick him up. I petted him and by now he is probably asleep again. If I had taken him out, I'd be awake all night holding him while he sleeps.

I will be really shocked if he isn't chipper and hungry in the morning. It is 2 a.m. here, and I get up at 6, so I'll feed him again then. Hopefully I'll be awake enough to teach him how to use a litter box. (Warm wet cotton ball rubbed lightly on his tummy while he's standing in the litter box, IIRC.)

Then I'll visit the man next door to get some cat litter.

For a minute, I wondered if it would work to have a basement cat. But no ... my son's bedroom and study area are down there, and he is allergic to cats.

Thank you again for your advice. He was hungry!

I would just go down and give him a little meal with the canned food if you can, just because skim milk isn't very satisfying for a kitty. He sounds like he is healthy, but gee, why make him stay hungry....

Now see, RaeAnne, that's why I need you all. I had no idea what to feed him -- and I didn't want to do more harm than good.

I feel much better now that he's eaten. I didn't remember that I had canned dog food here -- the kind that likely won't be harmful to a cat.

The shock of having a tiny kitten in the house has worn off. And I do mean shock -- I didn't expect such a tiny cat to come running to me when I called. I've never seen a kitten this small, and it sent me into a tailspin. I was worried I'd do something wrong.

So I posted here, and it's a good thing I did.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Now see, RaeAnne, that's why I need you all. I had no idea what to feed him -- and I didn't want to do more harm than good.

I feel much better now that he's eaten. I didn't remember that I had canned dog food here -- the kind that likely won't be harmful to a cat.

The shock of having a tiny kitten in the house has worn off. And I do mean shock -- I didn't expect such a tiny cat to come running to me when I called. I've never seen a kitten this small, and it sent me into a tailspin. I was worried I'd do something wrong.

I'm so glad that things are looking up a bit over there! Now you must post a picture so we can all oooh and aaah with you tomorrow morning. I'm dying for a tiny little cat here, but we have allergies too. The best I can do is get my fix of crazy affectionate purring kitty-ness at horseback riding lessons :tongue_smilie:

Aw, he sounds precious. Our "tiny" kitten that we (mostly my Mom and sister, but I helped on weekends when I visited) hand-raised from birth was always a loud purrer (she started at 3 days old!!! She she was smaller than a mouse LOL). She just turned a year old on September 29 and she still has a loud motor. :D

I'm glad he's got a full belly. He should have a nice sleep now that he's full and warm.

Oh, kitty got some primo canned food, so he's all set! :tongue_smilie:

Feed him was so different from feeding Aidan when he was a puppy. The kitten just lapped up the food very neatly (and loudly ... I could hear the little lapping sounds). Then he meowed up at me to pick him up, and I felt like Gulliver, a giant looming over the Lilliputian kitten. He made no mess at all!

Aidan, OTOH, would stand in his food while he ate, and splashed around in his water bowl before tipping it over. Meals with him were an adventure! For a year, I had an unfolded beach towel under his bowls.

I hope this kitten goes home to his farm tomorrow. I'm already getting a tiny bit attached to him.

Just yesterday, I was telling stories about my cats to DS3. I told him how much he'd enjoy having a cat for a pet, and why ... and contrasted that with having Aidan the Terror.

Then today, this happens.

You are a very good person to be working so hard to help him. Kitties know when you're doing your best, I swear they do. They are very forgiving. :001_smile: I hope you find a very good home for him. Or for your son. He could move out, and take the dog with him.... But that's my hierarchy over here! :lol:

Aidan, OTOH, would stand in his food while he ate, and splashed around in his water bowl before tipping it over. Meals with him were an adventure! For a year, I had an unfolded beach towel under his bowls.

Oh my gosh. :lol:

Just yesterday, I was telling stories about my cats to DS3. I told him how much he'd enjoy having a cat for a pet, and why ... and contrasted that with having Aidan the Terror.

Then today, this happens.

;)

You are a very good person to be working so hard to help him. Kitties know when you're doing your best, I swear they do. They are very forgiving. :001_smile: I hope you find a very good home for him. Or for your son. He could move out, and take the dog with him.... But that's my hierarchy over here! :lol:

My daughter is also allergic to cats, so she'd have to move out too.

Maybe this is my chance to have a peaceful life with only 2 teenagers in the house! :D And no dog who gets into mischief every time I turn around!

This cat could be the beginning of me finding my Bliss! :001_smile:

Is it okay if I send them all to your house? :auto:

When I find a cat, first I check their eyes, are they blue? Then they are under 8 weeks - generally speaking.

Thanks for this tip. My 8yo found a tiny kitten high in one of our pine trees last night, and it had blue eyes. The thing walked around crying for its mama all night long.

Someone has been dumping their unwanted kittens in front of our house. Including last night's baby, we now have six unplanned kittens. I don't mind one or two, but SIX??? :glare: And then the fear.....how many more are they going to dump?

if you stick to regular finely groud meats and rice you'll be fine. You can mix a little tuna in there too. Cows Milk will make his tummy feel not so good...which comes out not so good :tongue_smilie:

Even good quality dog food softened up is good. Kitten won't need much at one time.

Good Luck!

What have you named him? :auto:

I have not named him because I do not want a cat. If I wanted one, I'd already have one. It would be a different story if I did not have so much going on in my life already. Plus, he is a kitten, and I do not want to ever own another baby pet again. Give me the grown-ups any time.

Now that he's been here for 24 hours and 17 minutes, I just want him to go home. Someone came over from down the street whose brown kitten is missing. Unfortunately, hers is 6 months old, and she thinks this one is 3-4 weeks old. I was hoping she'd just take him, but no.

I asked the kids if they thought I should have just left him outside to fend for himself and they all said, "of course not".

Tonight I was sitting in a chair, and the cat was on the floor with DS3. He looked up at me and in a combination of climbing and leaping, got into my lap. DS3 was pretty amazed that he could do that, being that he's only as big as a minute.

We let the cat out of the crate periodically, and closely supervise him, but he follows me around the basement. It's like being followed around by a mouse -- I can't move without making sure I know where he is every single second.

DD sat by the crate and did her homework so the cat would have company. She is okay since she didn't touch him or anything he has touched. Naturally, with her severe allergy, she is the one who absolutely adores cats.

Right now, I think I should have been a spinster who has a pet *rock*. This cat is just one more problem to solve. Don't worry, I am still giving him the best of care. He is helpless, after all. I am just tired of being needed. This poor attitude may have something to do with my having had only 3 hours of sleep last night -- I am too old for that. Plus I had to deal with a school psychologist today, and that always puts me in a bad mood. I look at these school people and wonder which part of XYZ they don't understand. They use the broken record technique on me, trying to get me to say what they want to hear. It doesn't work and it makes me mad. I just wanted her out of my house once I found out she does not want a cat, and I was too tired to take her down a peg or two.

If I name him, his name will be Owl Bait because that is what he is. While I'm at it, I'll change my name to Curmudgeon, because that is what I am. The best thing that happened today was that I managed to put gas in DH's fuel-free car without calling him to help me figure out how to get the gas to come out, and without spilling any on my shoes. Pumping gas is a man's job. Period. So I should have been a spinster who has a yard man, a gas man, a handyman, and a plumber on speed dial.

To top it off, the Red Sox had a horrible season, and I despise their GM and manager, and they got rid of two of my favorite players. This is almost as bad as when that Traitor Johnny Demon went to work for the Yankees.

Oh, and DH has a man cold.

Love,

RC, the absolute best Curmudgeon on the planet

Edited by RoughCollie

Didn't you mention your dh needing an office cat? This might be the perfect opportunity to slide a sweet little kitten into his heart.

He has a man cold. He looked at the cat and managed to utter four words: No. Hairballs. Litter box.

Last night he said, "It's 7 o'clock." In Man Cold Language, this means: I've been home for 3 minutes and I'm sick. Bring me my dinner, a glass of milk, and 2 napkins. Don't forget to cut up my meat for me because I'm too sick to do it. I don't have the strength.

Edited by RoughCollie

My daughter is also allergic to cats, so she'd have to move out too.

Maybe this is my chance to have a peaceful life with only 2 teenagers in the house! :D And no dog who gets into mischief every time I turn around!

This cat could be the beginning of me finding my Bliss! :001_smile:

They always are! :D

Is it okay if I send them all to your house? :auto:

Of course! They will be so sick being around my FOUR cats, one little cat won't be a problem! :lol:

I understand being tired of being the caretaker. I found a cat with her litter of kittens. We found a home for one kitten right away, kept the other two (whoops!), and had Mama in our BATHROOM for a YEAR (let her out at night, when our other cats with whom she fought were in bed) because I couldn't bear to send her to a kill shelter. I still think flushing everyone out and starting fresh with Owly is a great idea, but if it doesn't work, I do hope you find a good home for him very soon. :) It's much easier to rehome a kitten than an adult cat!

We need a kitten rescue train. :001_smile: We do rescue trains all the time on the Bearded Dragon rescue site that I'm a part of.

I would be happy to take him and spoil him, but I'm about 5 hrs. away in Delaware. Anyone in between willing to be part of a train to drive short legs of the trip from Pittsburgh, PA to get him from Point A to Point B? I could make it as far as Nottingham, PA (Herrs Potato Chip Factory area); which is about 45 min. away from me or Rising Sun, MD (Plumpton Park Zoo area).

Edited by contessa20

It's much easier to rehome a kitten than an adult cat!

Not around here, because there are too many kittens. I know of 19 kittens whose owners are looking for homes for them, along with 16 adult cats. Four were born two weeks ago, and their owner went from having 2 cats in May to having 9 cats now. He knows everyone b/c he's lived and worked here all his life (he is 72), and he cannot find homes for 7 of his 10 kittens.

There are a lot of farms around here. The farmers don't get their dozens of cats neutered -- that is where the oversupply comes from. It is how my neighbor ended up with his two original cats.

He had the first one spayed. The day before the second one was scheduled to be spayed, he realized that she was pregnant. When her first litter had been weaned, he made another appointment, but she turned up pregnant again. I hope he gets her spayed in time, along with the kittens or he'll end up having a kitten factory over there.

At least he takes good care of his cats otherwise, and he will keep those he can't find homes for. He's like the Pied Piper. Every time he comes over here, his cats follow him. If I go over there near feeding time, his cats are all lined up in front of his house, like wash on a line. They are super friendly, and take turns greeting me before returning to the line.

The additional 4 cats and 1 kitten, I found out about yesterday. The landlord is forcing his tenants to get rid of their cats by Nov 1st. None of them have been neutered because they are all males who live indoors. The owners do not take good care of their cats -- I went into their apartment once, and I will never go in there again. I can't breathe in there, the smell is so bad.

I put a found cat notice on Craigslist today.

Edited by RoughCollie