Menu

Sleep Machines?

I just use a regular household fan. The one I have now is over 15 years old and probably cost $15-20. I have a sleep machine, but only use it when I travel. I like the fan much better.

We used a fan for years, but I didn't always want it blowing on me, and I hated how I had to clean the blades and how it kept blowing dirt in one concentrated area. It was not a ceiling fan.

I also use a fan. I have since college because I needed help drowning out the hallway noise in the dorm.

I also use my iPhone. There are several great apps that provide ambient sounds. The ones I have are Sleep Machine, White Noise and Sleep Stream 2. I am pretty sure the first 2 have a free lite version.

I haven't ever been happy with the electronic noise variation ones like that. Sometimes/often you pick up the repeat loop, sometimes the noises are just not good for sleep to me (because of erratic tones like sea gulls or bigger and lesser waves; I like a solid sound). That one has some negative reviews about how loud it isn't and about durability.

I can tell you what we use happily and have for many years though!

We had what Dawn posted (though then it was called SleepMate) for most of my single life and early married years too. I had it at home growing up, took it to college, and had it for our early married years too before it finally stopped working.

We've had these (three of them) for almost 9 years now and I'm really happy with them. http://www.amazon.com/Marsona-TSCI-330-Travel-Sound-Conditioner/dp/B000X2FSA2/ref=sr_1_10?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1348873998&sr=1-10&keywords=white+noise+machine I needed something loud enough for my really restless sleeping special needs kid to sleep with. This one is great at being loud enough to really mask outside sounds.

Edited by sbgrace

We have two of the Homedics sound spa machines. The ones we have are so old (DD's is 8 years old) that they don't make that style anymore. I guess the new version is the Sound Spa, I see they are about $20 on Amazon, walmart.com, etc. They've been great, lasted forever, we take them with us anytime we're going somewhere overnight.

I've seen the one that Dawn posted recommended many times over the years.

I know it is not the same but just in case...

There are some cool sleep sound apps available!

:iagree: You're right. They're not the same. I've found they're typically better. Here's how most sleep machines work - they take a recorded noise and loop it. We went through several sleep machines. In two of them, you could hear the loop. Trust me when I say it can make you nuts. The other was MUCH more expensive and much better - it was an actually generated noise white machine. No loop. But it eventually broke.

And then iPhone came to the rescue. With an app like Ambiance, the loop for the sound is drastically longer for most sounds than with the old-fashioned kind of sound machines. Longer loop means you don't hear it. Unless they've improved in the last ten years, you're better off with your phone IMO.

Yes! We have one, and so do my boys. We love them and take them with us when we travel.

This one is fantastic!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KUHFGM/ref=wms_ohs_product

Thank you! Thank you!

And to the others who agreed with this.

It is half of the price, so I will try this one.:)

DH has a CPAP machine that drives.me.crazy. :glare: I cannot sleep with the noise that is makes. Hopefully this will help.

Thanks, hive!

Um, I have a Conair one that costs $18.95 and I am very happy with it. I have had it for a few years now and it is still working great. It has six sounds, a sleep timer setting, allows two different alarms and plays a cd. I also have a CD that plays sounds from inside the womb. It is 20 years old and I still listen to it sometimes.

• 1 month later...
UPDATE:

I have had this one for a little more than a month and *love* it. It is soothing and covers up dh's cpap wonderfully.

If anyone is looking for a sleep machine, I highly recommend it. :) Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions, hive.

:iagree: We use them nightly. Glad you like it.

I have only Marpac/Marsona products. One I had from 1975-2005 (my mom used it and handed it down to me).

I now have 3. One older model that is large (older version of this one:http://www.amazon.com/Marsona-1288A-Programmable-Sound-Conditioner/dp/B000N244Y8/ref=sr_1_8?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1351900627&sr=1-8&keywords=marpac, one travel size (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Marsona-TSCI-330-Travel-Sound-Conditioner/dp/B000X2FSA2/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1351900704&sr=1-4&keywords=marpac and one just like the one already mentioned.

The problem with the cheaper one is that you can't turn it off without unplugging it and the plug is behind the bedside table. You also can't control the volume or the actual sound, which I do like to mess with.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

We have this one http://www.target.com/p/conair-sound-machine/-/A-13650129?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|13650129&CPNG=Health+Beauty&kpid=13650129&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=13650129&kpid=13650129&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=13650129

We've had it for over 5 years, and it is still working well. It has good sounds that are nice and smooth, without any annoying sounds like seagulls or loud waves (and I'm really picky about sounds at night b/c any little thing will keep me up).

I run an air purifier. I don't like the cold air from a fan (especially during winter in WI) but this makes plenty of white noise and cleans the dust ouit of the air to boot!

This isn't the exact one we have - but close

http://www.target.com/p/hunter-fan-quietflo-hepa-air-purifier-90/-/A-11254929?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|11254929&CPNG=Home+Improvement&kpid=11254929&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=11254929&kpid=11254929&ci_gpa=pla&ci_sku=11254929

I just use a regular household fan. The one I have now is over 15 years old and probably cost $15-20. I have a sleep machine, but only use it when I travel. I like the fan much better.

:iagree: I have a hard time sleeping unless I have a fan on. My oldest fan is at least 20 years old and I got it second hand.

Did you buy it off amazon or did you find it locally? Good for me to know in case mine dies sometime...

I bought it from Amazon. :)

For those who mentioned liking the fan, that is what the sound reminds me of. I even brought it with us to the hotel last night (thanks to the others who offered that idea ;)) and slept very well.