Menu

what to put inside a pinata

Acorn

Any ideas? I am feeling like this is impossible.

1) Peanut allergy

2) Strawberry allergy- rules out starburst and skittles that pass rule #1

3) I have an aversion to plastic trinkets that get thrown out

So far, I have tootsie rolls and smarties. The guests are ages 5-7.

What is the theme of your party? When we had a Lego party for my son, I just bought a ton of legos and put in the pinata. For the pirate party, I put eye patches, tattoos, pirate stickers. For a Pinkalicious party for DD we put in lots of pink things...pink candy, bubble gum, candy lipsticks and rings. So I usually start at the theme and see where that takes me.

Otherwise, I just try to find something more useful (I also hate too many plastic things that we'll just throw away) like markers (I like to use the pip squeak size), pencils, erasers, things like that. One time for a girl party I bought hair things (barrettes, elastics, ribbons) and they were a hit. I've also used dice, gold coins (the bubble gum ones were fun), and small gift coupons (free frosty thing at Wendy's, stuff like that).

I've had good luck finding cheap things online, I know some of my ideas seem expensive but they really weren't. And also, it doubles as a goody bag. ;)

ETA: Oh, I wanted to mention, I always use the pull string pinatas after some scary incidents with the pounding kind. :) So some of these things might not work if there will be bats swinging! :lol:Also, we have mostly winter bdays so we are inside.

What is the theme of your party? When we had a Lego party for my son, I just bought a ton of legos and put in the pinata.

ETA: Oh, I wanted to mention, I always use the pull string pinatas after some scary incidents with the pounding kind. :) So some of these things might not work if there will be bats swinging! :lol:Also, we have mostly winter bdays so we are inside.

We will be swinging plastic swords. Two years ago, we got through a pinata using a plastic bat. It will be some of the same guests, so I think we should be okay. Wish me luck!

Sometimes a pinata takes forever to break! If you fear this might be the case, mist it with some water a short time before they start hitting it. The cardboard will soften up a bit and break easier! You can even mist the inside so the color on the outside doesn't run even a tiny bit.

For the filling - try the Target $1 bins? Glow sticks are fun. Stampers or other small art supplies?

I'm not one for the "grab" and "go" idea of pinatas esp. for my shy kids so.....I put goodie bags in the pinata with one for each kid.

Myra

I agree, but we have heard from only a fraction of invitees. I need to seal up the pinata and paint it soon. I just know that more people will call if I do that. Last time, I just told the kids they could get one of each item.

I think it's fine to put in whatever, and then the kids can trade afterwards. I might avoid peanut cups and the individual squares of Starburst if I know the allergies are severe (b/c they aren't wrapped as well as the little mini bags), but I've see plenty of allergy kids at plenty of parties, and none of them have ever had an issue with wrapped candy.

You can always have extra candy kept separately. Then, if a mom isn't comfortable with mixed wrapped candy, you can give that kid first whack at the pinata (so it doesn't break on their turn), and then give them a bag of whatever candy rather than have them scrambling for it.

I agree, but we have heard from only a fraction of invitees. I need to seal up the pinata and paint it soon. I just know that more people will call if I do that. Last time, I just told the kids they could get one of each item.

I just make a certain amount of grab bags to go inside the pinata. Next I make extras for the children who didn't RSVP on time or come at the last minute or if a sibling comes that I didn't know about. When the pinata breaks I just toss the extras into the mix - no one ever notices in the excitement and chaos!

Myra

I can list the peanut free candy (it's also milk and egg free, but that's just our allergies here), but I don't know about strawberry allergy:

Double Bubble bubble gum

Laffy Taffy (apple, banana, grape)

Krabby Patties

Pixie Sticks

Sweetarts

Gummy Bears

Dots

Twizzlers (black)

JujyFruits

Nerds

Peppermint candies

Peeps

Candy corns (some brands)

Blow Pops

Dum dums

It's close enough to Halloween that it should be easy to find large bags of small individual bags of these candies. HTH!

Hmmm....well the prankster in me says shaving cream, (ah...college memories :lol:,) but I have a feeling that's not what you're looking for. ;)

I like the idea of non-food items because then the allergy kids are on a level playing field. I'd go with stickers, tattoos, little fun erasers, etc.

What about:

Little plastic eggs filled with homemade play-do, or small containers {the mini ones} with play do in them.

Mini Beanie Babies {here you can get them for $1 or less each}

rubber/plastic bracelets {ones that support a good cause}

yo-yos {plastic or not these things get LOTS of use around here}

mini packets of crayons

cute pencils

When our church did a pinata one year they found children of all ages acted VERY greedy over it. In order to avoid greed on behalf of some, thus tears on behalf of others. They filled little brown lunch sacks with the same stuff in equal rations for each child. The sacks had names written on them. Once the beast was broken open each child scrambled to collect their own little party bag while confetti continued to fall out of the pinata. :)