Menu

HOW on earth can my child....

I have several dc like that. My oldest dd (homeschooled preK-12) nearly drove me out of my mind when she was in 3rd-8th grade because she was such a slowpoke. She got better as she went through high school, and is a very accomplished college student. She'll never be fast, but she gets the job done.

I just wanted to let you know that there is hope! I've still got a sometimes-pokey 5th grader. It helps me to remember how my daughter turned out, so I calm down and know he will be ok.

Enough of the pep talk. Here are some things that helped her:

- rewards, such as breaks and food.

- plenty of outside time running around.

- a high protein breakfast featuring eggs and whole grains.

- chocolate helps the memory (for those pokey with math facts). It is a good nonprescription drug for mom, too.

- a timer, used judiciously.

- giving the child a list of the tasks for the day and discussing about how long you expect each task to take.

- having the child work near you so you can point out when he is getting distracted.

- lots of math facts drill.

- waiting patiently for them to grow up. :)

HTH,

GardenMom

My kids are part turtle. Some days they zip through their seat work. Other days it takes them hours and hours and HOURS to complete an assignment. HOURS!!!! And shall we discuss how previously-STARVING!!! children can take eons to eat their dinner? Because that one drives me straight off the cliffs of insanity.

The same way mine gets 3 division problems an hour done? And the same way it takes him 1 hour to construct one poorly written sentence. I am not dealing well with him these days. My DH got him up at 5:30 this morning to finish yesterday's math and history. And guess what - he was done in record time. Of course now DH doesn't understand why I email him every day at work with the following email title - "gaaahhhh! I cannot take it anymore...":glare:

The same way mine gets 3 division problems an hour done? And the same way it takes him 1 hour to construct one poorly written sentence. I am not dealing well with him these days. My DH got him up at 5:30 this morning to finish yesterday's math and history. And guess what - he was done in record time. Of course now DH doesn't understand why I email him every day at work with the following email title - "gaaahhhh! I cannot take it anymore...":glare:

THIS

Is it bad to feel better knowing I'm not alone? :tongue_smilie:

I understand you are just venting, but if you are looking for a possible solution from someone who used to be where you are with kids that sat staring at their math problems for hours on end, you may want to try what I found to "get the job done".

I got out some hand held white boards and we do all the problems together. We first start out reading the lessson together, then we work the problems on our white boards and race each other to see who can find the answer correctly the fastest. My kids get a kick out of trying to beat their Old Mom :001_smile: I do this with my 2nd grader, my 4th and 5th grader and my 8th grader. They all enjoy it !

This has made our school day much more fun, efficient and speedy ! We finish a Saxon lesson in one hour compared to me having to scold them and stand over them to get it done in less than 3 hours like before.

We have fun prizes for the winner of the math sets, such as the winner gets to pick his/her favorite tv show to watch that evening as a family or a favorite movie. Or I give out tickets in which the child can trade in at the end of the week and pick something from our fun treasure chest on Fridays. I try to find fun incentives to keep the game fresh and the learning fun. They no longer dread math, they really enjoy it and I find that I enjoy them so much more too.

Just a suggestion if you are so inclined :001_smile:

My kids are part turtle. Some days they zip through their seat work. Other days it takes them hours and hours and HOURS to complete an assignment. HOURS!!!! And shall we discuss how previously-STARVING!!! children can take eons to eat their dinner? Because that one drives me straight off the cliffs of insanity.

YES! I don't know how it's actually possible to stretch A BOWL OF CEREAL out to 90 minutes! But I can guarantee it has become soggy muck long before that.

Let's talk about bathroom time.. :toetap05: