Menu

Sealed hard redwheat from 1999 at Goodwill for 3.99 buy & use?

It should be fine.

http://www.homefoodstorage.com/wheat.shtml?utm_source=REFERENCES_R7&LS-2659

Regardless of which one you choose to store, make sure you only store it in the actual kernel. You don't want to buy it for long term storage if it's already ground into flour. (So you will need to purchase a flour mill yourself). In the flour form it begins almost immediately to lose its nutrients. However when it remains as a kernel (or it's also called a wheat berry) it retains nutrients for almost 20-30 years, when properly stored.

You will want to store the wheat kernels in either #10 food grade enamel lined cans, or in food grade buckets lined with a special lining. This will ensure it stores for the longest length of time and will keep bugs from getting into the food.

Well I bought it, it was two buckets sealed hard red wheat berries, 45 lbs in each bucket. Honestly my friend gave me wheat berries that they had sitting in their pole barn of all places and I am just now finishing it up and it was also from y2k. This was probably 2 years ago. If they aren't any good, I'm only out 8$. I was getting ready to buy 25#'s for $27 on amazon.

I wouldn't eat it. What if it was sitting in a hot garage for the the last 13 years. :ack2:

Like I said, I had the exact same wheat from a friend and it sat in their polebarn. Not much difference Imo. I don't have a lot of extra money, if it tastes fine, I will use it. Egyptians used to store it in a hot temple. Everyone has to do what they gotta do to provide for their families.

Like I said, I had the exact same wheat from a friend and it sat in their polebarn. Not much difference Imo. I don't have a lot of extra money, if it tastes fine, I will use it. Egyptians used to store it in a hot temple. Everyone has to do what they gotta do to provide for their families.

Oh not judging at all. I had only read your original post when I answered, not your follow up.