Menu

They TOLD me. They didn't ASK me.

This is crazy week. Everything starts up. My daughter is in high school all day and at play rehearsal after school. My son's co-op begins this week and it's ALL DAY Thursday for us because he takes 4 classes and I teach 3. We're having a stairlift installed in our home. I teach 3 bellydance classes at my home studio and that begins this week.

My mother . . . who is always THE most considerate person on the planet, INFORMED me that she and my grandmother will arrive tomorrow ans staying til Friday. My MIL also INFORMED us that she will be here Wednesday and is bringing her friend. I LIKE the friend. He's very well-mannered and go-with-the-flow. So is my mother (usually), but MIL and Mamaw are going to sit there and be annoyed when things don't go exactly how they imagined.

If it wasn't the FIRST week, I could cancel my home classes, or even skip a day of co-op, but this week is just not good. I'm going to be busy with things I cannot cancel. Mamaw will not care for the loud music coming out of my studio. She will have to endure students attempting to play zils (finger cymbals) on Day 1. It will sound wretched!

My Mamaw won't leave the house or eat anything you can't find on the Bob Evans menu. My MIL won't eat most things you would find there. Ordinarily, I LOVE to cook for people and sit and talk with them all day, but this week I just can't. I warned them about our schedule, and that their visits would coincide and NOBODY CARES. NOBODY ASKED. GRRRRRRRRR!

That is all.

Can I add that we LITERALLY sat in the house and did nothing all summer long? I would have welcomed them with bells on.

:glare: Figures. :glare:

Can you say something like, "Oh, Mom/MIL/Mamaw, that would be wonderful! I am so stressed out with the first week of school. I could really use someone here to do all of the cooking and cleaning while I focus on the kids. You're a lifesaver!" ;)

Edited by Julianna

Tell them that's fine as long as they understand you have a busy week with commitments you cannot get out of and they will have to entertain themselves during this time and put up with some noise and chaos. If they are good with that, you are fine with them coming. If they'd prefer to reschedule for a later date when things have calmed down soon, that's fine, too, but you just wanted to forewarn them.

That sounds so strange. I can't imagine people coming to stay at my house without asking.

Ugh.... I do it to my parents at least once or twice a year... Well, I sort of ask... As in "I can come up these dates. That works, right?". I'd be shocked if they ever said no. Granted, I do know their schedules for travel and such. We just do whatever they have planned, and sometimes they leave us for a bit. It works for us but I think that is something very dependent on how different families "work".

I teach 3 bellydance classes at my home studio and that begins this week.

That is so cool!! Need a bellydance emoticon.

Can't help you with crazy house guests. You may want to just let them know what the schedule is and come up with a list of possible activities for them to do during those times. At least they are coming together so they can catch up with each other while you are not there. They have chosen to come up without asking if it works for you. They have to deal with the consequences.

Did I mention it's cool that you teach bellydance? :)

:iagree: I would play sick. I've been known to do it more than once in the past.;)

:iagree: Except, I wouldn't have to play at sick. Just thinking about the whole situation would make me ill. In fact, I'm certain that just reading the OP's description of her week has made my stomach do a few flip flops!

That sounds so strange. I can't imagine people coming to stay at my house without asking.

That is so cool!! Need a bellydance emoticon.

Can't help you with crazy house guests. You may want to just let them know what the schedule is and come up with a list of possible activities for them to do during those times. At least they are coming together so they can catch up with each other while you are not there. They have chosen to come up without asking if it works for you. They have to deal with the consequences.

Did I mention it's cool that you teach bellydance? :)

Thanks for shaking your heads with me. It's all I wanted really. I hope my Mamaw thinks the bellydancing is cool too. She's gonna LOVE the sound of 8 sets of zils clanging off beat!

You know, this has NEVER happened before and I had planned to keep these women apart until my daughter got married :D I've never ignored my guests before, so it'll be surreal to see what they do. Dh and I are joking about making a drinking game of it. Mamaw complains . . . Drink. Grandma one-ups Grammy . . .Drink. Anyone mentions how well so-and-so prepares the dish I just served . . . Drink. (Like I'll have time to cook!)

If they had a history of this behavior, I'd be all for setting boundaries, but I'm just gonna ride this out and see where it goes. I'm tempted to invite my sister and her 4 kids over (she's local). The only reason I don't is that my daughter goes to high school and she'd feel bad about missing the fun while she's doing homework.