Menu

Gluten, dairy and egg free breakfasts?

Help me please!! I often make smoothies and oatmeal, but my growing boy needs something filling for the morning and we're all getting tired of oatmeal.

My imagination is failing me. I've tried making quinoa for breakfast, and didn't get rave reviews on that. I could try and hunt for gluten-free breakfast sausages. They like bacon, but I can't fathom adding that into our diets regularly, although perhaps I should for ds as he's too thin?

Suggestions???

Here we don't usually do typical breakfast for breakfast. Would your family handle it ok if you went outside the breakfast box?

My allergy son had guacamole and teff crackers (I just use teff flour, ghee, and salt) along with a blended fruit "smoothie" this morning. Sometimes it is leftovers from dinner the evening before. We make granola instead of oatmeal.

Edited by sbgrace

Corn tortilla shell are gf and I believe are dairy and egg free but you would have to check. We often will do sausage, bacon, or ham for breakfast, but have also done left over hamburgers, chicken, steak, fish. Soups are a good idea. We always have a pot of rice cooked and that makes it easy to do a stir fry type of dish with leftovers.

I recently heard of something called a cantaloupe-bacon wrap. I tried it with a vinaigrette dressing and it was delicious.

My son just ate the cantaloupe and bacon.

Sweet and salty/crunchy. Very good stuff.

Prosciutto/ melon is a classic appetizer. Cantaloupe/ bacon is something I only had a few months ago, but the whole sweet/salty thing is always good here.

Do a search for gluten free baking. I have experimented with pancakes using coconut flour (they were good!) but want to try cheaper versions using brown rice flour.

My dd's love coconut yogurt but I am not happy with the sugar content. I just bought a plain one to try mixed with flavored stevia, or sweetener of your choice.

Often I will cook rice, millet, amaranth (think cream of wheat) or quinial, let cool, then add coconut milk or coconut yugurt, a variety of nuts and seeds, then raw honey. Can't get much healthier than that! We usually add cinnamon.

Buckwheat pancakes (use xanthan gum for the eggs and an alternative dairy)

Cream of buckwheat or cream of rice cereal

Oatmeal cookies! Load it up with "healthy" ingredients. I modified the recipe on the back of the Trader Joes gluten free oats bag. Added nuts, dried fruit, chia seeds, etc.

Potato pancakes/latkes and bacon

Sausage! My boys love sausage. You can get various flavors of chicken sausage at Costco and Trader Joes. Most are gf, but stay away from the kinds with cheese obviously. Pair with gf bread.

Arepas (a corn cake) and some black beans on the side. I ate this a lot when I spent a semester in Costa Rica.

Gf bagel with hummus. Sometimes I also add lox to it.

Smoothies with protein. (powders, nut butters, etc.)

PB & J with gf bread and an alternative milk

Chex or the Envirokids brands of gf cereal with alternative milk.

Either coconut milk yogurt or almond milk yogurt with a gf granola for a parfait.

HTH!

Homemade granola with fresh fruit and coconut milk (or as a parfait with coconut cream).

Granola is super easy and forgiving. You want to toast the longest-cooking ingredients first and longest, then add in the quicker cooking ingredients later in the process. Oats, for instance, go in first while unsweetened macaroon coconut goes in very last (as it will toast very, very quickly). Once everything is toasted, stir in your fat (for dairy-free breakfast, I would use coconut oil), a pinch of salt, and your sweetener of choice (a little honey or maple syrup to taste).

You can do large batches in the oven (search for recipes and substitute out ingredients that work for you), or you can make "skillet granola". That's my favorite, but it has to be made fresh (nearly) every time. I use a large, dry skillet over medium high heat. Add oats and stir regularly until they turn golden and you can smell the toasting. Then add seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, or sesame. These will toast a little faster (turn heat down to medium as necessary), and some of the seeds will puff up and "pop" a bit like corn. Next add nuts, then last, a generous quantity of unsweetened macaroon coconut. That will begin to toast quickly, so be careful not to burn it. Add a generous quantity of coconut oil and stir 'til it's all melted and mixed in. Sprinkle on a bit of salt, then drizzle in a little honey or maple syrup and stir.

Serve immediately (nice and hot but crunchy) with (coconut) milk and fresh fruit.

Or put cans of coconut milk in the fridge (Thai Kitchen is a good, thick brand -- Trader Joe's also just started carrying coconut cream rather than the "lite" coconut milk they used to have) for a few hours (or days), then open and whip with a mixer. You can add a couple of drops of vanilla. If necessary, you can add sweetness, but coconut is naturally pretty sweet already. Use this along with fresh fruit and granola to make parfaits.

It's quite easy to make your own breakfast sausage patties. If you're not up to putting the meat through a grinder or food processor, just get ground meat that has some fat content (pork or dark meat chicken work well). Then mix in about a teaspoon of salt per pound of meat, and your choice of seasonings: pepper, minced onion, sage, etc. There are many recipes online if you'd like ideas. Fry a little bit of the mixture and taste to check the seasoning, then make the patties. Yum yum.

If you find a recipe you like, you can make up a few pounds of the patties (cooked or uncooked) and freeze them between squares of wax paper.

These are good with homemade hash browns. I dice the potatoes, toss them with oil, and cook them on a baking sheet in the oven at 375 until they're done (turning once or twice).

Black beans are also good as a breakfast side dish.

This thread is making me hungry. :D

our staples are gluten-free bagels with peanut butter, gluten free cereal (which i buy by the case in big bags) with peanuts for xtra protien (and almond milk), and sometimes I make turkey sausage and toast sandwiches. here is the sausage i make - but i add a tb of maple syrup and a tsp of oil

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-turkey-sausage-patties/detail.aspx