Menu

Anyone NOT have a dresser?

I've been trying to simplify things around here (story of my life :glare: ) I've been thinking of getting rid of our dressers to free up some space and also eliminate a few eye sores (a few of our dressers are functional but not pretty and who knows when I'll have the time to restore them).

So does anyone else have a sans dresser clothes organization system?

Haven't had a dresser since, oh, 1980. We had a five-drawer chest for awhle, but in 1987 we bought a waterbed that had drawers underneath, and the chest was left behind.

I put as much as possible in the closet. Mr. Ellie has a wire-drawer-thingie for his socks and undies, and I have a hanging thingie (if only I could remember what it's called, lol) that has all my socks, undies, and whatnots.

so in our bedroom, we have only a beautiful bed and two nightstands.

No dresser in my girls' room.

I blogged about their closet and you can see a picture of it. The closet has a lot of built in shelving and I added to it with a 2 shelf bookshelf. While I like not having a dresser, it does seem rather crowded and the girls have a tendency to want to wear something on the bottom while messing up everything above it. Also, the closet just always look messy unless I constantly work on it as you can see from the before picture. That is the standard way it looks.

Edited by lisamarie

No, with the economy as it is, I've had to let her go and have my lady's maid dress me. Please don't tell the neighbors. :lol:

Anyway.... I hate dressers. We are in the process of renovating our walk-in to include enough shelves, baskets, and hooks to eliminate the need for the two dresers in our bedroom. My girls have only had one for the last few years; before that they just had a closet organizer (when we moved, they had more space for a dresser and less closet space.)

i just sent my ugly, gajillion year old chest of drawers to college with my son! I thought about replacing it with something simple but I think I am with you, I am just going to hang things and use some stackable cubes in the closet. I love having more room and I don't want to spend the money. I am really loving the fact that it is gone!

so in our bedroom, we have only a beautiful bed and two nightstands.

Sounds heavenly :001_wub:

In our room, we have two cribs, a changing table (blankets, shoes, etc for the babies), a small dresser (for the babies clothes), our queen bed, a side table, and in our closet we have our dresser. Our room is small too!

We only have one shelf in our closet (standard high shelf) and the chance of us installing more is slim to none due to finances and dh's work schedule.

I was thinking of getting baskets from the dollar tree and using them as well as some of the hanging cubby things you can attach to the closet bar.

I'm also purging our clothes stash and refuse to hang on to anything that I don't wear regularly.

Lisamarie- Love your closet makeover :)

Angela- :lol:

We didn't have one in one of the places we lived. It was optimal - I'd prefer not to have one. We had a huge closet, the entire length of one wall - about 15' I'd say? It wasn't a walk in, but we had two regular double bifold door openings - between them we had shelves. We hung up all the shirts/etc, and put our pants/jeans/shorts on the shelves. Then we just had a little plastic drawer thing underneath that held unmentionables and socks. :)

If we build a house in the future, I plan to have all clothes storage in the closet, as well. I'd rather not have a dresser. :)

I never realized that not using dressers was so common. I would love to get ride of mine, because it takes up too much floor space for the amount of storage space I get in return.

Exactly! I thought I had invented it. :D My mother, however, will think differently when she sees it. She likes a LOT of furniture. I think it is a generation thing.

I do now, but I didn't in my last house. We had a regular sized closet that contained most of DH's stuff, then a smaller closet with hanging bar on one side of the passage from MBR to MBA, and another closet all with shelves directly across from that one (on the other side of the passage from MBR to MBA). I used large dishpans to hold bras, socks, etc. and kept them on the shelves, and keep stacks of sweaters fairly organized. Jeans were folded on a shelf, and then the closet across the way held dresses, blouses, dresspants, etc.

No dressers here, well except for one in our foyer. lol

Our kids closets have systems in there with room for hanging, drawers, shelves and larger shelves for toys. Everything behind closed doors and the real estate is pretty open in their rooms.

Our closet will get a closet makeover soon but right now everything is hung up and our undergarments, pj's, workout clothing are folded on a shelf in there.

This is so funny! We ordered a dresser yesterday! ;) We haven't had one in ... I don't know, more than ten years? And we have a teeny-tiny closet (dh had to get custom-made hangers 'cause the closet isn't deep enough for standard ones), and somehow we've survived. ... I'm still really looking forward to have a bit of storage!

(If we had a real closet, I'm sure it would never have been an issue...)

If all your clothes are in a closet where do you put the closet stuff? Example-each of my kids have keep totes. It has all that keep stuff in them. Toys too. I hate seeing toy boxes in a bedroom so that is where the toys are. Also stuff they won't let go of. My older daughter had a ton of Ashton Drake dolls that she don't want on shelves anymore but she won't get rid of them.