Menu

How can I say no now?

DD has been complaining/whining/nagging about wanting a snake for awhile, so DH and I told her to put together a proposal and present it. She finished this tonight. I did help her find a template, use powerpoint, and to get the research materials, but for the most part, it's her work. (I put on the first couple of slides. The whole thing is 16 pages long)

I'm guessing there's something hissing in our future....

post-14599-13535087419643_thumb.jpg

post-14599-13535087419761_thumb.jpg

post-14599-13535087419881_thumb.jpg

post-14599-13535087419643_thumb.jpg

post-14599-13535087419761_thumb.jpg

post-14599-13535087419881_thumb.jpg

Edited by dmmetler

I let them have snakes that they find in the yard (garter), BUT... I have a two week limit.

After about 10 days they are tired of finding food for them and they are let go.

About a month later another one is found and repeat. None in the winter :D.

they get a snake, I am a cool mom, and I don't have a smelly snake for more than two weeks at a time.

Lara

Wow, call me nuts, but I could still say no! I would compromise with just about anything! A new puppy, a new X-box with 2 year of Live attached to it, a new car.....YUP! Name your price and you got it kid, you just DO NOT get a snake! :lol:

Wow, call me nuts, but I could still say no! I would compromise with just about anything! A new puppy, a new X-box with 2 year of Live attached to it, a new car.....YUP! Name your price and you got it kid, you just DO NOT get a snake! :lol:

:iagree: Um... yes, this. I'd give the kid a trip to Disney before he'd get a snake. Although, anytime he's asked for anything more than a dog, it's shut down immediately. I told him if he was insistent on variety, I would consider a goldfish. :D

You're a brave, brave woman for opening the door to this...

What a great proposal! Well done!

I would grant her a trial in this way...

I let them have snakes that they find in the yard (garter), BUT... I have a two week limit.

After about 10 days they are tired of finding food for them and they are let go.

About a month later another one is found and repeat. None in the winter :D.

they get a snake, I am a cool mom, and I don't have a smelly snake for more than two weeks at a time.

Lara

We did this when we lived in TX. We probably kept a half dozen ring-necked snakes through the years, for a week or two at a time. We also kept a tarantula for a while. We had a terrarium on the patio. It was a great experience for the kids, but they always released their pet and went back to playing/cuddling with the dog and cat in the end.

Not sure if you are at all looking for advice, but I have a bit of experience... It's a good idea to avoid pet stores and buy from a reputable breeder. If you are a first time owner, it's better to start with an older snake rather than a hatchling. Make sure that you have everything set up a day before so you can monitor that the temperatures are right.

If you need any other details about snake keeping, I can send you links and/or share our knowledge. We love corns so much! :D