Menu

Deli meats during pregnancy???

I knew about it and ate deli meat during my pregnancy. I had horrid morning sickness and sometimes the only thing I could choke down was a turkey sandwich from the deli. Honestly? I think the whole listeria thing is overplayed. It is EXTREMELY rare. I tried to eat at places with a high turnover that kept their meats in a cooler until served (ie not on the counter at room temp).

Nitrites and nitrates are also in lunch meat and HUGE no-nos. Panera has a few paninis which use real chicken meat instead of lunch meat. There is also the portobella mushroom panini and AWESOME salads.

You used to eat lunch meat because you didn't know better. Now you do. Can you eat them in good conscience?;).

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

*shrug*. I've probably eaten a deli sandwich (from a local place I trust) at least once every two weeks or so this pregnancy. I too think the listeria thing is way over-dramatized (you can get it on raw veggies and salads now too, apparently) and the thought of heating lunch meat to steaming makes me want to hurl.

Don't stress. Moderation is the key :grouphug:

Well I've known about it for my last 3 if not 4 pregnancies but I ate it anyway. With my 3rd kid I had hyperemis, deli meat was one of the very few foods that I could occasionally get down without it coming back up. I figured it was better to eat something and take the miniscule risk than to eat nothing and suffer the very high risk of dehydration/lack of nutrition (because I couldn't drink any liquids so my liquids were coming from whatever food I could keep down). While I do try to be careful, I don't worry about it when I'm craving something that isn't ideal. I'll eat anyways without guilt. No one eats perfectly all the time. Don't beat yourself up over it. You needed food, you ate, no harm done.

Exactly.

I hate the way all these rules make pregnant women worry too much.

I always think back to my great grandmother, who was pregnant at the turn of the last century, and she'd get a keg of wine for each pregnancy, and nobody else was allowed to touch it. It was considered fortifying. :) She birthed 8 healthy children. I'm sure she ate cured meat, too, and lived on a subsistence farm without modern hygiene. Sometimes I think we know too much today, and that knowledge has certain drawbacks.. When I was pregnant with my boys, I noticed how the rules changed from one to the next. There are 3 years between them. It kind of just made me roll my eyes. I figured what worked for one would work for the other.

:glare:

I had all of my kids before this was a rule. My girls are all healthy, smart, and strong. And cute, too. :D

It is so easy to get caught up in a place where you feel like everything you put in your mouth is nutritionally worthless or poison. Deli meat is FOOD! Not the absolute best and purest food, but it;s food, not poison. Sure- it has potential danger... so do eggs, fish, peanuts, ground meat... Even drinking too much water (several gallons [?] at once) can cause problems http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm

This is not to scare you but to make you realize that, while you do have to be more careful at this time, you still have to eat- and you may not always be able to eat perfectly. Constant stress over food can also be harmful to the baby. Your body releases stress hormones. So when you're in a less-than-ideal situation regarding food, make the best decision you can *at that time* and think about how your next meal can be extra-healthy to balance it out. :grouphug:

I was horribly sick with one of my pregnancies- so sick that I lost over 20 pounds. The doctor told me to eat whatever I could get/keep down. That child is my healthiest, and my best eater... and a fabulous baker/cook too!

Now- a favorite recipe- I think I got it from a pregnancy book I read and tossed when I got to the chapter on "reducing stress" :glare:

Peel & freeze and overripe banana. Use it like ice cream in a milkshake. I still make frozen banana shakes... LOVE them with almond or coconut milk.

No, I can't, which is the problem- I feel horrible for making such a bad choice. I get real weak when I'm starving :( I hope every thing turns out OK.

(And thanks!!)

And usually, I buy everything Nitrite free, but let it slide when eating out.

Thanks AdventureMoms- I also read how rare it actually is.

There are natural choices. You can also buy a chicken or turkey to cook and eat at home. When I was pregnant, and not vegan, I ate baked turkey and cheese at night, just enough to carry me through. My boys were over 10 lbs each and I can REALLY understand hunger!:grouphug:

*shrug*. I've probably eaten a deli sandwich (from a local place I trust) at least once every two weeks or so this pregnancy. I too think the listeria thing is way over-dramatized (you can get it on raw veggies and salads now too, apparently) and the thought of heating lunch meat to steaming makes me want to hurl.

Sushi was my favorite food EVER. I just would not take the chance while pregnant. I have eaten sushi for decades but I wouldn't take that chance, just lime I didn't drink coffee or wine. I am not saying I am any better AT ALL, but it really IS taking a chance. Just like if I were pregnant right now I wouldn't eat canteloupe.

FWIW, I have heard nothing at all about the lunchmeat warnings, but since I had a baby who got campilobactor (sp?) and his diapers were scary enough for me to RUSH him to the ER, I am admittedly far more cautious than probably necessary. I heeded ALL warnings during my pregnancy.

Still, I agree that food rules are changing all the time. Todays dangers will be tomorrows healthful nutrition.:glare: Milk does a body good? IMO, No Way.

Edited by Denisemomof4

I ate a turkey and cheese sandwich with mustard nearly everyday for 2/3 of my last pregnancy. I'd barely been able to eat for a few months when my dh mentioned he was eating a turkey sandwich for lunch. Something clicked in my head and I just knew that I NEEDED a turkey and cheese sandwich RIGHT THEN. I didn't worry about it. By the way, did you know soft serve ice cream is off the table too because of listeria (if you're very careful about it). Which I obviously wasn't. :tongue_smilie:

Honestly, I can't keep up with all this stuff. The "rules" keep changing and I get so confused. Just this week, I asked DH to hand over some black licorice and he said "no way -that is poison for the baby!". What????? Sure enough, black licorice is a big no-no. I had no idea and I am pretty sure I ate it with all the others since it is one of my favorites.

Everything in moderation.

Congratulations!!!! :D

Honestly, I can't keep up with all this stuff. The "rules" keep changing and I get so confused. Just this week, I asked DH to hand over some black licorice and he said "no way -that is poison for the baby!". What????? Sure enough, black licorice is a big no-no. I had no idea and I am pretty sure I ate it with all the others since it is one of my favorites.

Everything in moderation.

Congratulations!!!! :D

For real? Why??? That is a new one. I thought I'd heard all the Pregnant and Paranoid rules.

It's gone beyond ridiculous.

I feel like a downer posting this but I know someone who got sick from listeria bacteria at 32 weeks pregnant and almost lost the baby and there was a point where the doctors didn't think she was going to live either. Both ended up ok and while mom made a complete recovery after many days in the hospital baby spent months in the NICU and now, at 11 years old, has developmental delays, both physical and mental. It's heartbreaking to hear this woman's story and not something I can take lightly anymore.

For her, it was just a regular, ordinary hot dog from a well established (and clean) vendor. She was out running errands, was desperately hungry, and allowed herself to break her no deli meat rule and bought a hot dog. Of course, it was a complete one in a million fluke but it's a decision she deeply regrets to this day.

There are no guarantees in life and really, any number of things can go wrong but ever since I've known this woman I've not been able to bring myself to eat hotdogs or deli meat while pregnant. I know we as mommas all do the best we can for our children, nobody is perfect, and we certainly can't avoid everything but her story sure is a heartbreaking one.

Mamas, don't stress over what you eat, but do be aware that terrible things can and do happen. :grouphug:

I feel like a downer posting this but I know someone who got sick from listeria bacteria at 32 weeks pregnant and almost lost the baby and there was a point where the doctors didn't think she was going to live either. Both ended up ok and while mom made a complete recovery after many days in the hospital baby spent months in the NICU and now, at 11 years old, has developmental delays, both physical and mental. It's heartbreaking to hear this woman's story and not something I can take lightly anymore.

For her, it was just a regular, ordinary hot dog from a well established (and clean) vendor. She was out running errands, was desperately hungry, and allowed herself to break her no deli meat rule and bought a hot dog. Of course, it was a complete one in a million fluke but it's a decision she deeply regrets to this day.

There are no guarantees in life and really, any number of things can go wrong but ever since I've known this woman I've not been able to bring myself to eat hotdogs or deli meat while pregnant. I know we as mommas all do the best we can for our children, nobody is perfect, and we certainly can't avoid everything but her story sure is a heartbreaking one.

Mamas, don't stress over what you eat, but do be aware that terrible things can and do happen. :grouphug:

But the hotdog was cooked right? It must have been improperly cooked or maybe a cross contamination issue?

Yet (cooked) hot dogs are allowed at least they were 4 years ago when I was pregnant (deli meats were supposedly bad then). It's only cold meats that are supposedly the problem. This actually makes my point. The odds of getting listeria from a deli sandwich are extremely remote. Not eating cold deli meats doesn't really protect you from listeria (as your friend's frightening story shows).

Yet (cooked) hot dogs are allowed at least they were 4 years ago when I was pregnant (deli meats were supposedly bad then). It's only cold meats that are supposedly the problem. This actually makes my point. The odds of getting listeria from a deli sandwich are extremely remote. Not eating cold deli meats doesn't really protect you from listeria (as your friend's frightening story shows).

:iagree:

Hormel makes a line of lunch meat and even bacon without nitrites, which I think is the issue with lunch meat during pregnancy. This is also better for kids too.

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/HormelNaturalChoicemeats.aspx

I greatly appreciate this info you offer here, Ann. We do buy lunch deli meat although I didn't consume while pregnant. I always feel kind of guilty eating it. Now that I know there is a safer, healthier deli meat I can buy, I am a convert! Thank you very much!

I am always suspicious of the prepackaged deli meat. Now I will choose it over the fresh cut ones.

I greatly appreciate this info you offer here, Ann. We do buy lunch deli meat although I didn't consume while pregnant. I always feel kind of guilty eating it. Now that I know there is a safer, healthier deli meat I can buy, I am a convert! Thank you very much!

I am always suspicious of the prepackaged deli meat. Now I will choose it over the fresh cut ones.

Hormel (and other natural brands) proclaim no added nitrites/nitrates, except that which is naturally occurring in celery salt or something to that effect. BUT, please keep in mind that ...

From

This notion of "nitrite-free" or "organically cured" meats is a public deception. This method of curing instead of adding nitrite salts directly to the meats, they add celery salt which is about 50% nitrate. They then add a starter culture of bacteria to the celery salt to reduce the endogenous nitrate to nitrite "the curative molecule". So they can label it nitrite free but in fact they are generating more nitrite from the celery salt that what is allowed to be added as a salt. That is the reason for the higher nitrite content in the "nitrite free bacon". It is the exact same molecule as added to regular cured meats it just comes from a natural source, celery. I think it is probably less healthy than regular cured meats because of the bacteria load and the unknown efficacy of conversion by the bacteria. Some covert 40% some convert 90% so the consistency of the residual nitrite is highly variable. My hope is that we create awareness and educate scientist, physicians and food people of this concept.

Even this FAQ answer from Applegate Farms doesn't come close to a full picture but uses roughly the same # of words as above. They add nitrates all right -- just not chemical nitrates!

Do Applegate Products Contain Nitrites or Nitrates?

Applegate FAQ (Official Rep) 8 months ago

The short answer is yes, but with another longer story. Nothing is ever simple, is it?

All animal proteins are made up of amino acids that contain naturally occurring nitrites and nitrates. And so Applegate products made with animal protein will have levels of naturally occurring nitrites and nitrates.

In addition, the celery juice and sea salt used to cure our meats also contain naturally occurring nitrates.

For these reasons, the USDA does not allow animal protein products to state “nitrate/nitrite free†on their labels. So, being law-abiding citizens, we don't state that.

Packages for our products are required to say “no added nitrites†since they contain the naturally occurring variety, but were cured without the addition of
chemical
sodium nitrate. (emphasis mine; underscore not in original text)

Edited by mirth

Hormel (and other natural brands) proclaim no added nitrites/nitrates, except that which is naturally occurring in celery salt or something to that effect. BUT, please keep in mind that ...

From

This notion of "nitrite-free" or "organically cured" meats is a public deception. This method of curing instead of adding nitrite salts directly to the meats, they add celery salt which is about 50% nitrate. They then add a starter culture of bacteria to the celery salt to reduce the endogenous nitrate to nitrite "the curative molecule". So they can label it nitrite free but in fact they are generating more nitrite from the celery salt that what is allowed to be added as a salt. That is the reason for the higher nitrite content in the "nitrite free bacon". It is the exact same molecule as added to regular cured meats it just comes from a natural source, celery. I think it is probably less healthy than regular cured meats because of the bacteria load and the unknown efficacy of conversion by the bacteria. Some covert 40% some convert 90% so the consistency of the residual nitrite is highly variable. My hope is that we create awareness and educate scientist, physicians and food people of this concept.

Even this FAQ answer from Applegate Farms doesn't come close to a full picture but uses roughly the same # of words as above. They add nitrates all right -- just not chemical nitrates!

The short answer is yes, but with another longer story. Nothing is ever simple, is it?

All animal proteins are made up of amino acids that contain naturally occurring nitrites and nitrates. And so Applegate products made with animal protein will have levels of naturally occurring nitrites and nitrates.

In addition, the celery juice and sea salt used to cure our meats also contain naturally occurring nitrates.

For these reasons, the USDA does not allow animal protein products to state “nitrate/nitrite free†on their labels. So, being law-abiding citizens, we don't state that.

Packages for our products are required to say “no added nitrites†since they contain the naturally occurring variety, but were cured without the addition of
chemical

Now what am I supposed to eat? Make my own lunch meat!!!

I think the "natural" lunch meats might actually have a higher risk of Listeria. There was an outbreak with one of the popular health food store brands a few years ago. Nitrates protect against the growth of the bacteria to some extent, and the levels of nitrate aren't always as consistent in the celery powder, or whatever the manufacturer uses.

Listeria is also the concern with soft cheeses, IIRC. The worst incidents have been associated with products that were contaminated after pasteurization, but before packaging. Raw dairy contains some substances that actually inhibit listeria. But there are no guarantees. Many different refrigerated, prepared foods could theoretically grow it. And contamination is an issue -- I'm guessing that's what happened with the hot dog the PP's friend ate. Maybe the vendor wasn't washing his hands after handling them, or some juices got into the condiments. Because the meat is pre-cooked and listed as "ready to eat" on the package, they might not be very careful about such things.

In pregnancy, I reheat packaged turkey and ham in a pan with a little water, and make sure to clean the work surfaces and wash my hands afterward. Salami and pepperoni are most conveniently heated on top of pizza. :D

Edited by Eleanor

From

chemical

This is the thing. Most so-called "natural" lunch meats say "No Added Nitrates" then (In small print) say "except those found naturally in celery juice."

But that "qualifier" is a lie. It is not true. Food scientists know that combining celery juice with lactic acid produces nitrates. So they add both celery juice and lactic acid. It is not "naturally" occurring in celery juice, but a predictable chemical reaction of combining two products with intent.

As for Homel, my alarm bells went off when I saw "natural" but as far as I could see they do not use celery juice/lactic acid. They claim a pressure treatment. I'd still be a little skeptical, but they don't seem to be using the nitrate trick most "No Added Nitrate" brands use.

Bill

What is a nonchemical nitrate?

I took it to mean "synthetic" nitrate. So a non synthetic nitrate is one that occurs naturally in celery powder.

Curiously enough, Hormel's cold cuts still include celery powder + starter culture in most products. Who knows what their deal is. Maybe they cure the meats in the same old "deceptive" manner and then kill all culturing bacteria off in the end using HPP? Or maybe they really add the rare and highly sought after nitrate-free celery powder because it's fun? (Most likely they just forgot to tack on the "except that which occurs naturally bit", or it's written very small)

What gets me is that all these "no added nitrites" cold cuts cost quite a bit more than the standard variety where at least the added nitrite level is a known quantity. And standard brands don't add any extra bacteria either!

Oven Roasted Deli Turkey

• Serving Size: 56g
  • Servings Per Containers: Varied
  • Per Serving:
  • Calories: 60
  • Calories from Fat: 10
  • Total Fat: 1g
  • Saturated Fat: 0g
  • Cholesterol: 25mg
  • Sodium: 460mg
  • Total Carbohydrate: 1g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0g
  • Sugars: 1g
  • Protein: 11g
  • Vitamin A: 0%
  • Vitamin C: 0%
  • Calcium: 0%
  • Iron: 0%

• Ingredients: Turkey Breast Meat, Water, Salt, Potato Starch, Turbinado Sugar, Rice Starch, Carrageenan (from seaweed), Baking Soda, Celery Juice Powder, Lactic Acid Starter Culture (not from Milk).