Menu

Favorite first math curriculum?

We really love MEP Reception because it really gets the kids to think about math beyond the numbers. There are so many skills in there I never would have thought to cover in an early math program. Plus it is free! It would be a great set up for any math program even if you don't continue with MEP. We use the videos from Education Unboxed also as some added fun with the Cuisenaire Rods.

Well, for VERY first math, I love R&S ABC series "Counting With Numbers" to teach how to write numbers and do basic counting. I use that around age 3.5ish. Their little sayings for how to form the numbers are great.

Next, around age 4ish, I do Singapore Essential Math K. I use C-rods with Book B (where it gets into adding/subtracting). For kid #3, I'm also using the videos at http://educationunboxed.com. Also, alongside EM K, I did a 100 chart with DS2, bundling straws into 10s and also using coins. We talked about place value over and over until it clicked. When it did, he took off in understanding.

After that, we continue on with Singapore Standards Edition 1A on up. All my kids are mathy, hence the earlier start.

You can easily do K math without a curriculum. I needed one for DS2 because he learns better with a pictorial presentation combined with the hands-on. My oldest taught himself K-math (and more). My youngest will probably do the same, but he likes workbooks - he thinks he's doing school if he's doing workbooks. :tongue_smilie:

We LOVE Saxon K-3. The kids love the variety, the manipulatives, and the mommy time. I love the scripted program, and the open and go. The kids are challenged and happy.

:iagree:

The below post is pretty much my recommendations exactly (except I do R&S at 4, SE K at 5/K, 1A/B for 1st)! My 6 year old loves Singapore. The first week of school she told me "I never knew math could be so fun!!!"

Well, for VERY first math, I love R&S ABC series "Counting With Numbers" to teach how to write numbers and do basic counting. I use that around age 3.5ish. Their little sayings for how to form the numbers are great.

Next, around age 4ish, I do Singapore Essential Math K. I use C-rods with Book B (where it gets into adding/subtracting). For kid #3, I'm also using the videos at http://educationunboxed.com. Also, alongside EM K, I did a 100 chart with DS2, bundling straws into 10s and also using coins. We talked about place value over and over until it clicked. When it did, he took off in understanding.

After that, we continue on with Singapore Standards Edition 1A on up. All my kids are mathy, hence the earlier start.

You can easily do K math without a curriculum. I needed one for DS2 because he learns better with a pictorial presentation combined with the hands-on. My oldest taught himself K-math (and more). My youngest will probably do the same, but he likes workbooks - he thinks he's doing school if he's doing workbooks. :tongue_smilie:

We didn't use this, because I found out about it too late, but I've always thought Gnomes and Gnumbers would have been a great, fun intro to math. It would have appealed to my guy, anyway. Gnomes, art, gems, math... What's not to love?

Plus, it's free.

We've used Right Start Level A for our two eldest and really enjoyed it.

I did just purchase Miquon Orange though for DD to try it out and am enjoying it, but honestly, I like the variety of Right Start A's materials and the more laid out lessons better (so far).

However, from a cost standpoint, Miquon is 1000x better. :D

I have yet to get fully comfortable with a pre Saxon 54 curriculum. For now it's a hodgepodge of

How to Tutor Copywork. $19.80 and also includes a full phonics curriculum and handwriting instructions that pair well with the Spalding WRTR 6th edition hand.

Grube's method free The ORIGINAL conceptual curriculum

African Waldorf free skip counting and much more

5 minute frenzies. Addition and multiplication free Just the answer keys can be used with regular paper folded into boxes and numbers written along the borders.

All of this is cheap to implement without workbooks and/or a printer. This is all mostly copywork, recitations and hands on.

I might use some Professor B because I have it, but it's more expensive and more teacher intensive than the above, so I recommend the above resources first. As soon as I found HTT, I decided I MIGHT be able to shelve PB. We'll see.

I still am keeping my ears open for something more independent, but...I'm not wasting any more energy or money actively looking.

Edited by Hunter

All of this is cheap to implement without workbooks and/or a printer. This is all mostly copywork, recitations and hands on.

Sounds like my kind of curriculum. I just got an old copy of How To Tutor.

I was going to say Prof. B Math. The beginning exercises in Level 1 have made for an awesome start for my oldest so I'm using them now with my 4yo.

Edited by SCGS

For helping me find a teaching style, providing resources for making a sophisticated level of mathematics comprehensible to a young child (and me :D) and for fostering a hands-on spirit of discovery for my son that was the perfect sort of start for a child like him: Miquon.

We followed up with many other things one the passion was lit including MEP, Singapore, and RS elements and game, but Miquon was huge in providing a road map to me and giving a "big picture" sense of understanding to my son.

Bil

I grew up on Saxon and used it for grade 1 with my oldest son. I have since switched to Singapore with both my boys with some LOF for the oldest and some MM for the youngest and for my daughter I use mostly MM, for some reason she prefers it to Singapore.

We LOVE Saxon K-3. The kids love the variety, the manipulatives, and the mommy time. I love the scripted program, and the open and go. The kids are challenged and happy.

:lol: we HATED Saxon K-3. Had to pitch it. I would get bored to tears just thinking about it.

:lol: we HATED Saxon K-3. Had to pitch it. I would get bored to tears just thinking about it.

Just the homework sheets sent home from school bored me to tears in Saxon 1. It was the same.thing.every.day. :tongue_smilie: At one point, I remember telling my friend that I was going to puke if I saw another apple seed. :lol: