Menu

I need information on Sea World Orlando!

We're planning on being in Florida in a few weeks and suddenly DH wants to go to Sea World for a day. Does anyone have any information or tips? We're thinking we would be there for the day and then maybe spend a night in a hotel in the area. Any information would be appreciated! Thank you!

We're planning on being in Florida in a few weeks and suddenly DH wants to go to Sea World for a day. Does anyone have any information or tips? We're thinking we would be there for the day and then maybe spend a night in a hotel in the area. Any information would be appreciated! Thank you!

Will you only be there for a day? I ask b/c the most expensive way possible to do theme parks is for one day, lol. If you can extend your time by a day or two, there is a flex ticket you can buy that gets you into several attractions at a reduced price.

We did Universal for one day last time, for Harry Potter. That one day cost about a third of our entire week long Disney package. I nearly died :svengo:

I agree that the one day is the most expensive way to do it! Go to their website and see what specials they are offering. I think they had a 2nd day free or cheap the last time I went.

My parents live an hour from there so we have annual passes and loooove Seaworld. It's the themepark feel without standing in lines forever. The shows are amazing. ALL of them. Not sure how old your kids are but Happy Harbor is fun for the little ones and they have a splash pad where you can go and cool off. If you have older kids that can ride the roller coasters and younger kids they have to stay with a parent ask for a kid swap pass. We love Seaworld!

My best tip is to eat lunch at Sharks. It is the only quite, cool, calm place in the park. You need to go by there and put your name in and see what time they will seat you. Then come back at that time. Or, if you are a small party you can usually get a table in the bar area quickly...people don't know about it, but you can't see all the tanks there.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I think we'll only be there for the day. I know it's not the best option but all of a sudden DH really wants to go, so I guess that's that. We'll be going with another family so we'll have 4 adults and 4 children ranging in ages 2-6.

Forgot to say that Sharks can seem very expensive, but don't worry. The kids meals are the same price as everywhere else, and we adults order a salad and then share an appetizer between two of us. Plenty of food that way and not too expensive compared to the counter service places.

We have been to Sea World several times this summer and I highly recommend Shamu Rocks if you are there on a day that they are open till 10pm. We love sitting in the splash zone and we do get soaking wet with cold, salty water! We love it, but not everybody does!

We also enjoy Sea Lions Tonight when they are open late, but the day time shows are great too. The night-time shows are just edgier.

Have Fun!

We have been to Sea World several times this summer and I highly recommend Shamu Rocks if you are there on a day that they are open till 10pm. We love sitting in the splash zone and we do get soaking wet with cold, salty water! We love it, but not everybody does!

We also enjoy Sea Lions Tonight when they are open late, but the day time shows are great too. The night-time shows are just edgier.

Have Fun!

:iagree: We really enjoy the dolphin and whale show too. The Clyde and Seymour (sea lion) show is good for young kids too, and is during the day, but the best shows are at night. Seaworld is our favorite theme park. We always try to save the shark tunnel and the Wild Arctic exhibits for the hottest part of the day because they are inside and air conditioned. Turtle Trek is air conditioned too, but has nowhere to sit down, so it's not a great place to plan on relaxing and cooling off.

Sharks is a great restaurant, but it is pricey. We also love the bbq place - I can't remember the name of it, but if you follow your nose you'll find it.

They generally don't say anything about food but you can't bring in anything with a straw or wrapper like a Capri Sun. They can be choking hazards for the animals.

We usually bring snacks and eat breakfast before we get there and dinner after we leave so we end up only buying one meal in the park. There is a Wendy's right around the corner from the park and we'll grab drive thru food there after we leave. There is a refillable cup you can buy for around $7-8 and you get free water refills and 99 cent soda, lemonade refills. Pass it around and it keeps you from having to lug around water. We bought ours 2 years ago and we use it every time we go to the park.

Based on all the food recs I'm assuming you are not allowed to bring your own food in? Obviously I know nothing about Sea World and apparently we'll be there in 8 days. :D

You aren't really supposed to bring your own food, but they are fairly flexible. You can bring water and I usually take low carb snacks and just tell them I'm on a restricted diet. Also, I brought toddler snacks for ds when he was little. It was never a problem.

ETA - You can ask for a cup of water from any food vendor and they will give you one for free. Just make sure you ask for a *cup* of water or they will try to sell you a bottle.

Just thought of a couple more tips. Arrive early to the shows you want to see. At least 30 min. You can check the website for showtimes on the specific day you are going so you can plan out your day.

Also, Pets Ahoy and Allure are indoor, AC, sit down shows, but arrive early for good seats!

I'm so happy I asked about this on here, you guys have given me some wonderful tips. Also relieved to hear that we won't be missing out on half of the park by only going one day.

Would you say it's the size of your typical zoo? I'm trying to decide if I should take a stroller just in case, my girls are 4 & 6 but I'm thinking between the walking and the heat it would help for them to take turns sitting?

Thanks everyone. Yes, I think we'll only be there for the day. I know it's not the best option but all of a sudden DH really wants to go, so I guess that's that. We'll be going with another family so we'll have 4 adults and 4 children ranging in ages 2-6.

One option to consider to consider is to sign up for a VIP tour. Obviously, it's more money, but for what you get, it's a good deal. The VIP tour includes the meal deal dining plan (includes all meals, drinks, and some snacks), VIP seating at the shows (and not having to wait to get in), and quick queue passes for the rides. I'm pretty sure it also includes animal feelings and some "backstage" tours where you get to see parts of the park and animals that are not accessible to everyone.

For the VIP tours, they put people into groups of up to twelve. If you have eight already, they may not add more people to your group. They have the tours planned to hit the shows right on schedule and will take you through back ways to get you there quicker. Some of the tour guides will cater to your group, see that you have young kids, and try to do more for them (as in, skip XYZ and do ABC instead). The tour itself is six hours, but you can be at the park for as long as you want and the quick queue and meal deal stays with you for the whole time.

FTR, I have never done a tour, so I have no personal experience. However, my father works for SeaWorld Orlando as an animal educator, and he's been giving a lot of VIP tours recently. Hearing him talk about the tours, they sound like a super nice way to do the park.

Some advice if the tour is not in your budget:

I agree with pp that Happy Harbour would be a good place for your kids to spend some time. The Clyde and Seamour show is also a big hit with young kids. There are a few air conditioned exhibits and shows - try to plan those for the afternoon when it's really hot.

SeaWorld does not allow you to bring in food, and they will check your bag when you come in. That's not to say they check super thoroughly, but you can't bring in a cooler. I went with a cousin once and they found juice boxes in her bag and made her throw away the straws. They let her keep the drinks, but they said the straws can be a hazard for the animals.

Seaworld is not a huge theme park and you are able to do the whole park in one day if you don't need to see all the shows - be somewhat selective. Also, plan ahead because many of the shows form lines 45-60 minutes in advance and if you arrive at show time or ten minutes before, you may not get a seat. Then again, if you're going when it's less busy, that may not be a concern (I still don't think you can fit in all shows and all rides into one day, though).

Have fun!:001_smile:

HTH

At Dolphin Cove (or something like that), the dolphins swim around in big outdoor tank, and at certain times of the day, you can buy a little tray of fish (sardine-sized) to feed them. The dolphins know perfectly well what that little tray means, so don't set it on the wall! They will take the fish out of your hands, and you can easily touch them. A dolphin spit on my daughter once, and it remains one of our favorite Orlando moments. There also is a viewing area there that a lot of people do not seem to know about, but you can sit for a long time (out of the heat, coincidentally) and watch the dolphins under water.

I love Sea World. It is spread out, but my kids have all walked it at your kids' ages. It is fairly easy to do in a day, but it will be impossible if you line up an hour before each show. We have never had problems getting seating for any of the shows, but plan your day there by the show schedule. It will require a lot of criss-crossing the park to hit everything, but it is doable.

ETA: Also try to hit the dolphin nursery. It is exactly what it sounds like it is. The keeper there will tell you about nanny dolphins.

Terri

A mother of my acquaintance did a behind-the-scenes tour at SeaWorld many years ago. The big draw was that tour-goers would get to touch a penguin. This person, who might or might not have these hugging penguin salt and pepper shakers on her table, might have dragged her daughter along just so that the mom could touch a penguin. And the mom was sorely disappointed! I--I mean, SHE--thought it was way too much money for (1) a tour of the hallway where they keep the polar bear toys and (2) about two seconds of penguin time.

I love Sea World, and not that I'm bitter or anything :tongue_smilie:, but I would not take another behind-the-scenes tour there.

Terri

Or do you think the Family Fun Tour would be more worthwhile? It includes a light meal, feeding the dolphins and reserved seats at the One Ocean show.

You can feed the dolphins on your own, for the price of the tray of fish, which I think is about $5 or so. (Which is the best deal EVER for Sea World--ticketed visitors paying to feed their animals... But it's still great fun.)

Terri

I agree that the individual animal tours are not worth the money. As pp have said, you can buy trays of food to feed the animals for a LOT less than the price of the individual animal tour. If I remember correctly, you can buy food for the dolphins, sting rays, and sea lions when you are at the exhibits. Those things do add up during the day, but they are a whole lot less than the animal tours.

What I like so much about the VIP tours is that it includes the animal feedings and the ride quick queue and the unlimited dining deal. If you're considering adding one of the animal tours AND buying a meal or two at the park, the VIP tour may not be much more than you would end up spending anyway, and then you'd have a good six hours of not being in charge:D http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-orlando/Attractions/Exclusive-Park-Experiences/VIP-Tour

If you're not looking at adding extra animal experiences and trying to get by with food brought into the park, then the VIP tour would not be something worth considering. (which is why I've never done them:tongue_smilie:)

We spent two days at Sea World in 2008. The second day was free. I read beforehand that while you can see most things in one day, it's much less stressful to take two days, at least if you have little kids. It allowed us to go on the rides and see all the shows without having to rush everywhere.

The acrobatic show was fantastic!