Menu

Beautiful Hair People

What kind of shampoo do you use if you are using other leave in products in your hair daily? I recently got a flatiron but am also experimenting with leave-in oil and dealing with the waves.

I am concerned about buildup on my super fine hair. The shampoo can't be too harsh either because I tend toward the haystack look.

Don't suggest no-poo. That's never going to happen.

Help me! I am fashioned challenged.

I use sulfate-free shampoo. Right now I am using Aveeno Pure Renewal.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aveeno.com%2Fhair-care%2Fpure-renewal-sampoo&ei=Hl0tUKWnEeiMyAHOg4CQBg&usg=AFQjCNHiZZGdLISXKPKJtdKtzxS8hW_2aw&sig2=mUdZRyg3Gb_tcOPRWZ19qg

No poo doesn't work for me because I need product.

My hair cannot live without Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle Deeep Conditioner. Nothing I have tried -- even $40 conditioner comes close to it.

PS -- I have fine hair -- lots of it, though.

I use Kiss My Face Whenever shampoo and conditioner. But my hair is curly, tends to be dry, and I would never flat-iron it. In fact, I don't use any tools at all. I use some KMF gel on it wet and let it dry on its own.

I'm sort of feeling like you're battling between damaging your hair and trying to fix it, and I'm not sure that works out so well. In my experience, it's better to just acknowledge what your hair actually does, and work with that.

Is a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner , I use Matrix.

Then towel dry. Use one or two pumps of Chi Straight Guard.

Scrunch to let dry. Or blow dry with a fat round brush.

Then right before flat ironing spray each section of hair lightly with Chi Shine Infusion. My hair flat irons better if I wash and dry at night before bed and then flat iron in the morning.

I usually let my hair scrunch dry if I'm just going to be home. But I do the flat ironing thing if I'll be out and about.

The Chi products make all the difference in how my hair looks when it is flat ironed. I buy all of these products on Amazon, but you could get them at a salon too.

Is a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner , I use Matrix.

Then towel dry. Use one or two pumps of Chi Straight Guard.

Scrunch to let dry. Or blow dry with a fat round brush.

Then right before flat ironing spray each section of hair lightly with Chi Shine Infusion. My hair flat irons better if I wash and dry at night before bed and then flat iron in the morning.

I usually let my hair scrunch dry if I'm just going to be home. But I do the flat ironing thing if I'll be out and about.

The Chi products make all the difference in how my hair looks when it is flat ironed. I buy all of these products on Amazon, but you could get them at a salon too.

OK this is good to know. Thanks!

I use Kiss My Face Whenever shampoo and conditioner. But my hair is curly, tends to be dry, and I would never flat-iron it. In fact, I don't use any tools at all. I use some KMF gel on it wet and let it dry on its own.

I'm sort of feeling like you're battling between damaging your hair and trying to fix it, and I'm not sure that works out so well. In my experience, it's better to just acknowledge what your hair actually does, and work with that.

I think my hair is similar to yours is the KMF sulfate free? Where do you buy it? Do you feel the KMF gel helps retain the curl and retain fuzz? I've been on the lookout for something like that but haven't had any luck. I don't want my hair to be stiff though. I have some Matrix mouse my stylist recommended and it works ok but not great.

You can tell me what you use:bigear:

Sure!

Sulfate-free shampoo

Aussie 3-Minute Miracle (sometimes I use regular Aussie moist)

Comb conditioner through in shower, put up in shower cap while finish shower

Rinse with lukewarm water leaving a tad bit of conditioner in.

Blot hair dry with microfiber hair towel like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquis-Microfiber-Towel-Lisse-39-Inches/dp/B000AM82GM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345167231&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=terry-free+hair+towel

I only blot the ends. My hair does better if I apply my product with my hair wet but not sopping.

Apply Sebastian Potion 9

This leave-in conditioner is simply amazing. I have tried so many different things, but nothing compares. I tried those Moroccan argan oil products. Yuck! I tried Bumble & Bumble. Yuck

http://www.amazon.com/Sebastian-Potion-Wearable-Treatment-16-9/dp/B003G42Y6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345167297&sr=8-1&keywords=sebastian+potion+9

Apply Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curling Cream (sold only at Sally Beauty)

Again, tried many products and nothing compares. It fights frizz and gives the curl control without being crunchy or sticky. I tried Bumble & Bumble. Yuck

http://www.sallybeauty.com/curl-cream/SBS-140734,default,pd.html

I then lightly dry my hair using a diffuser. Upside down at first, then side to side with my hair sort of hanging. Don't touch too much or brush while drying.

Then, I apply a fine mist of Garnier Fructis Flexible Control Anti-Humidity Aerosol Hairspray

http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTIS_STYLE^STYLE_DISCOVER^STYLE_FULL_CONTROL

Applying it while my hair is slightly wet sort of seals in moisture and seals out humidity.

Note -- This is the only Garnier Fructis product I like that I've tried. I absolutely hate the shampoos.

It sounds like a lot, but really it's quite fast.

I pick my products based on 1) smell and 2) the way they make my hair look. Surprisingly, sometimes the MOST EXPENSIVE shampoos make my hair look HORRIBLE.

I used to LOVE kiss my face whenever back when it smelled like grapefruit. Right now I alternate between Biolage for fine hair and something cheap from Suave (they have a new one called Everlasting Sunshine that smells amazing).

I'm allergic to Pantene (makes my scalp break out in an itchy rash) but if you're not, it makes hair look gorgeous. Some cousins with very curly hair LOVE it.

As for products, I use a spray in conditioner (usually Biolage), and a tiny amount of Biosilk whenever I use any sort of heat treatments. I don't use too much else, I like my hair soft.

ETA: Most sulfate free shampoos leave my hair texture feeling off after 2-3 weeks. If they work for you, go for it.

Edited by Katy

I don't know what constitutes "no poo" for you (I know it means no shampoo, but there are different ways to do no poo). I use conditioner for cleansing and then conditioner for conditioner, too (I don't rinse it out). Learned this in the Curly Girl book. I use Suave coconut conditioner. This is for if you want to bring the curl out in your waves. After I started doing this my frizzy kinda curly hair became more ringlety curly.

I just had a keratin treatment done a month ago, so I use sulfate-free shampoo. The shampoo/conditioner I use is called Keratin Complex. I buy it at Target. I love how soft and healthy it makes my hair feel. Part of that is the keratin treatment too, but my 41 year old hair looks and feels like it did when I was in my 20s.

I pick my products based on 1) smell and 2) the way they make my hair look. Surprisingly, sometimes the MOST EXPENSIVE shampoos make my hair look HORRIBLE.

I used to LOVE kiss my face whenever back when it smelled like grapefruit. Right now I alternate between Biolage for fine hair and something cheap from Suave (they have a new one called Everlasting Sunshine that smells amazing).

I'm allergic to Pantene (makes my scalp break out in an itchy rash) but if you're not, it makes hair look gorgeous. Some cousins with very curly hair LOVE it.

As for products, I use a spray in conditioner (usually Biolage), and a tiny amount of Biosilk whenever I use any sort of heat treatments. I don't use too much else, I like my hair soft.

ETA: Most sulfate free shampoos leave my hair texture feeling off after 2-3 weeks. If they work for you, go for it.

Yes, I mix some baking soda in with my shampoo about once a week.

What is a keratin treatment. Hmm..is this something you do at home?

Oh, I saw a teenager with the longest, smoothest, straightest hair and I just flat out asked her how she got her hair like that. She said she pays to have her hair blown out. I don't know, I sometimes blow dry my hair and usually end up looking like the poster mom for hair static. :D

No, it just has a slight wave. If I don't brush it and I scrunch it, it will go more curly. Otherwise it straightens very easily (just by brushing!).

I wish I had your hair. :D

:iagree:

My hair is like this, it will look like is has a bit of curl to it, but as the day goes on it just falls out no matter what I use. I hate it. I always tell people it looks like I have a really old grown out 80s perm. I wish it was one or the other. I've thought of trying to get a spiral perm, but I'm also scared to do that.

I'm not a hairdresser, so there is no way I would attempt to do the keratin treatments myself.

When I had it done, it took about 2 hours (I have medium length hair). They put the solution in, and it has to sit for a while. After they rinse it out, they have to dry the hair about 80%. Then they flat iron your entire head. You will have Joan Jett straight hair for 3 days (you can't get it wet OR put it up/in a pony tail/wear a hat). Going 3 days without washing it was the hardest part. Wearing my hair THAT straight for 3 days was a close second.

Aside from making my hair look "young" again, it has a nice shine to it (without having to spray oils or any shine-enhancements), it dries a LOT faster than it used to, so less damage from the hair dryer, and it requires little to no styling products at all.

The first keratin treatment I had done was a "temporary" treatment. They said it would last 6 weeks and gradually wash out. It lasted 2 weeks. The permanent keratin treatment is supposed to last up to 8 months. I'm about a month in, and it's still holding strong. We'll see in a few more months though.

Also, if you color your hair, you can have the treatment done just after coloring it, and it will hold the color in longer.

I'm not a hairdresser, so there is no way I would attempt to do the keratin treatments myself.

When I had it done, it took about 2 hours (I have medium length hair). They put the solution in, and it has to sit for a while. After they rinse it out, they have to dry the hair about 80%. Then they flat iron your entire head. You will have Joan Jett straight hair for 3 days (you can't get it wet OR put it up/in a pony tail/wear a hat). Going 3 days without washing it was the hardest part. Wearing my hair THAT straight for 3 days was a close second.

Aside from making my hair look "young" again, it has a nice shine to it (without having to spray oils or any shine-enhancements), it dries a LOT faster than it used to, so less damage from the hair dryer, and it requires little to no styling products at all.

The first keratin treatment I had done was a "temporary" treatment. They said it would last 6 weeks and gradually wash out. It lasted 2 weeks. The permanent keratin treatment is supposed to last up to 8 months. I'm about a month in, and it's still holding strong. We'll see in a few more months though.

Also, if you color your hair, you can have the treatment done just after coloring it, and it will hold the color in longer.

Thanks so much! I need to investigate this.

No, it just has a slight wave. If I don't brush it and I scrunch it, it will go more curly. Otherwise it straightens very easily (just by brushing!).

I wish I had your hair. :D

This is similar to my hair. I have a wave underneath, with a straight layer on top. So if I dry it naturally, it looks stringy. Before the keratin treatment, I used to mousse it and scrunch to get it more curly. Now, I just blow dry it out straight. Sometimes I'll use the flat iron to smooth it out a bit, but it's not really necessary.

Oh! The other change I made was to use a flat paddle brush instead of a vented brush.

Depends on how hard or soft your water is and how much humidity is in your air. The girls and I have different products that work for us depending on whether we are in Illinois for the summer or AZ in the winter. So don't be discouraged if you try something that works for someone else and end up with less than pleasing results.

When my hair is straight, ill use w/e is cheapest.

When its curly (which it is naturally and when i get it permed for more defined curls)- I use Tresemee (sp?) curly shampoo and conditioner. My stylist recommended it and its pretty cheap really. The only styling product I use is Mousse.

Since I cover my hair though, its always pulled back, so it doesnt really matter except at home. :lol:

Cheap Suave is the answer here. I put a ton of stuff in my hair to make it into giant smooth curls. The Suave Clarifying gets *all* of it out very well. I first read about it that "Don't Go to the Hair Care Aisle Without this Book" (or something like that) book; she also said that cheap White Rain works, too.

My hair is frizzy. Short, I can make it into curls with the rigth products, but it is long now. So I use Frizz Ease serum and Chi products, blow it out straight, and then curl it with a big curling iron. :001_smile:

I am currently using Pert shampoo (I think it's dandruff shampoo, honestly, which I don't need but I love the scent and the way my hair feels when I use it). Tresemme conditioner. I blow it out and flat iron every third or fourth day. Sometimes I massage a little conditioner into the lower half of my strands if it's feeling tangly right out of the shower. Then I blow it out with a round brush which has a combination of plastic and boar's bristles. I run the flat iron through it after that.

If I need to tame any fly aways I just use a dab of conditioner massaged between my palms and then run my hands through my hair, or do the same with either Bumble & Bumble styliing cream or Redken argan oil. They all work well. I adore the argan oil.

I have tried both Moroccan brand argan oil and one I found at Target -- the brand was Organix or something -- it came in a blue bottle with a gold top and black print on the front of the bottle. I hated both of those, so much so that I threw them out after just a few uses. I love the Redken.

I get many compliments on my hair.

Yes, that Organix is horrible!

I think shorter cut hair is easier to deal with if you have the quantity of hair to make it manageable. My hair cannot work well shorter, and the hair on my back comes down to my bra line. I have noticed the needs of longer curly hair are different -- perhaps because it involves older hair.

I've had people stop me in stores to ask what I use, but often those people have coarse hair, so I'm sure the results would be different.

I am currently using Pert shampoo (I think it's dandruff shampoo, honestly, which I don't need but I love the scent and the way my hair feels when I use it). Tresemme conditioner. I blow it out and flat iron every third or fourth day. Sometimes I massage a little conditioner into the lower half of my strands if it's feeling tangly right out of the shower. Then I blow it out with a round brush which has a combination of plastic and boar's bristles. I run the flat iron through it after that.

If I need to tame any fly aways I just use a dab of conditioner massaged between my palms and then run my hands through my hair, or do the same with either Bumble & Bumble styliing cream or Redken argan oil. They all work well. I adore the argan oil.

I have tried both Moroccan brand argan oil and one I found at Target -- the brand was Organix or something -- it came in a blue bottle with a gold top and black print on the front of the bottle. I hated both of those, so much so that I threw them out after just a few uses. I love the Redken.

I get many compliments on my hair.

Sure!

Sulfate-free shampoo

Blot hair dry with microfiber hair towel like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquis-Microfiber-Towel-Lisse-39-Inches/dp/B000AM82GM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345167231&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=terry-free+hair+towel

I only blot the ends. My hair does better if I apply my product with my hair wet but not sopping.

Apply Sebastian Potion 9

This leave-in conditioner is simply amazing. I have tried so many different things, but nothing compares. I tried those Moroccan argan oil products. Yuck! I tried Bumble & Bumble. Yuck

http://www.amazon.com/Sebastian-Potion-Wearable-Treatment-16-9/dp/B003G42Y6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345167297&sr=8-1&keywords=sebastian+potion+9

Apply Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curling Cream (sold only at Sally Beauty)

Again, tried many products and nothing compares. It fights frizz and gives the curl control without being crunchy or sticky. I tried Bumble & Bumble. Yuck

http://www.sallybeauty.com/curl-cream/SBS-140734,default,pd.html

I then lightly dry my hair using a diffuser. Upside down at first, then side to side with my hair sort of hanging. Don't touch too much or brush while drying.

Then, I apply a fine mist of Garnier Fructis Flexible Control Anti-Humidity Aerosol Hairspray

http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_STYLING^FRUCTIS_STYLE^STYLE_DISCOVER^STYLE_FULL_CONTROL

Applying it while my hair is slightly wet sort of seals in moisture and seals out humidity.

Note -- This is the only Garnier Fructis product I like that I've tried. I absolutely hate the shampoos.

It sounds like a lot, but really it's quite fast.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'm running out next week. We've used a LOT of things on DD's hair and gave our best go at Curly Girl. Curly Girl gave her amazing curl, but trying not to shampoo a teen girl with hormones and oil is just... Well, nasty. She tried for months, reasoning that she just needed to stick to it and her head would stop making oil. It didn't. So, now she's resolved to friz and a pony tail. She loves her curls, but she's losing her mind. We'll try this.

Sure!

Sulfate-free shampoo

Any sulfate free shampoo or do you have one you like? We have crashed and burned on several so far.

Oh, I saw a teenager with the longest, smoothest, straightest hair and I just flat out asked her how she got her hair like that. She said she pays to have her hair blown out. I don't know, I sometimes blow dry my hair and usually end up looking like the poster mom for hair static. :D

She's probably referring to a brazilian blowout. (Yes, for term "blowout" makes me think of diaper messes... LOL). It's very different from just blow drying your hair, and makes it totally smooth.

My hair is very thick and a bit wavy. I prefer it straight, and it's tough to get flat, even with a flat iron. So I have mine blown out at my local Aveda salon about every three or four months.

Right now I use Aveeno Pure Renewal.

http://www.aveeno.com/hair-care/pure-renewal-sampoo

But, about once a week, I add some baking soda to my shampoo to get rid of the build-up.

I just tried the Revlon sulfate free brand last night and I *do* notice a difference in my hair. It feels clean and smoother without feeling greasy/limp. Who knew?

Must keep the baking soda trick in mind.

• 2 weeks later...