Menu

We are having twins!!!

I am beyond surprised, happy, and scared! :svengo: We went in for our 20 week ultrasound today and were stunned to hear the news. The sonographer starting moving the wand around, and as I watched the screen, I thought I saw two spines. She stopped for a moment and said, "Have you had an ultrasound earlier in your pregnancy?" I said we did, at 6 weeks to establish the due date. "It was here at this office?" Yes, I said. "Did a doctor or sonographer do it?" Well, a doctor did, I replied. "Well, congratulations, you are having twins!"

I have to say, I am proud of my husband, who did not faint or vomit. :D I just laughed and laughed. No tears yet, but I'm sure they will come. I am measuring 20 weeks, and so is each of the girls. But I think I am about to get a lot bigger! All of my extra aches and pains have now been explained, as well as crazy baby movements. The other morning, I woke up and immediately thought "I hope the babies are ok", but told myself that was just the sleepiness talking, because of course, I only have one baby in there. My husband had wanted to wait and find out the gender of the baby. I was all for it. But last night I made him promise me that if it was twins, we would find out. He stared at me and said "You don't think we are having twins, do you?" "Nooooo....." "You hesitated!!! You aren't big enough to twins!!!" Well, I guess I am!

All of you mothers of multiples, I need all the advice I can get! And from everyone else, lots of prayers. The twin pregnancies I have known of in our family and friends have both ended in tragedy. In the midst of all of our joy, there is a great deal of worry and fear. All I want is to come home with both of my healthy babies. Off to update my signature!

:party:

Congratulations! Twins is wonderful... especially once you survive that first year. :tongue_smilie:

We had the same experience - we didn't find out until 22 weeks despite an early sonogram by a doctor. And there was a history of tragedy with twins for my grandmother, who, I think worked out some interesting things by seeing me have two healthy boys.

Five children five and under??!!!

:svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo::svengo:

She can do it--I did.

Eat a LOT of protein. A lot. I drank whey isolate powder that Dh made me like it was going out of style. It'll help them gain weight. No, I mean like I drank multiple 'shakes' every day. (and that was before I knew about that twins needed it, I was just listening to my body). But, this was whey isolate, not just muscle milk type stuff.

Get dinners in the freezer.

The overhwlming aspect when they are born is feeding them on the same schedule--one book for each, yanno? And get them to sleep together, that way YOU Can sleep. THey will want to eat what seems like 24/7 when they're first born, and you will be a cow on the couch. :D

Edited by justamouse

We found out about our twins via the 22 week ultrasound, too! Never in my life will I forget that moment.

I'm not gonna lie - twins are hard work, but - the extra work is TOTALLY WORTH the sweetness of having 2 who have always known each other, and who relate to each other like nobody else on earth. It's an amazing and beautiful privilege.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I like that Denise carefully chose five smileys to fall face first. :D

And I should have said earlier - if you want a good outcome, the research says, eat your protein! It's all about diet. Look at Barbara Luke's book about multiples and she explains the research - research that some doctors still don't seem to know about or at least push on patients.

And I should have said earlier - if you want a good outcome, the research says, eat your protein! It's all about diet. Look at Barbara Luke's book about multiples and she explains the research - research that some doctors still don't seem to know about or at least push on patients.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is really important stuff and most OB's seem to not be very knowledgeable about diet for multiples. For singletons it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, but for twins it's really important to eat really well, especially protein. I second that book recommend too.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Get that book. Because of my protein intake, I was able to take them HOME with me, that weekend when we were released. They were 4.2 and 5.2 at 36 weeks, and I swear it was the whey isolate. They never had RSV, or any of the other multiples problems.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Get that book. Because of my protein intake, I was able to take them HOME with me, that weekend when we were released. They were 4.2 and 5.2 at 36 weeks, and I swear it was the whey isolate. They never had RSV, or any of the other multiples problems.

Ditto. My guys had almost exactly those weights too! :) And I took my boys home the next day - totally issue free. And I also credit the protein. The Bradley recommendation is for at least 100 grams of protein a day and that was the easiest thing for me to do. Start counting. :D

OP - I didn't mean to imply you couldn't do it. I really DO think it's wonderful!!!

I do wish I had had my kids closer together, and I really, really wanted twins.

I think it's fabulous!!!!

:grouphug: I didn't mean to imply that you implied she couldn't!! :grouphug:

She can do eeeit!!!:D

Five children five and under??!!!

I know!!!! I can't wrap my mind around it! :)

She can do it--I did.

Eat a LOT of protein. A lot. I drank whey isolate powder that Dh made me like it was going out of style. It'll help them gain weight. No, I mean like I drank multiple 'shakes' every day. (and that was before I knew about that twins needed it, I was just listening to my body). But, this was whey isolate, not just muscle milk type stuff.

Get dinners in the freezer.

The overhwlming aspect when they are born is feeding them on the same schedule--one book for each, yanno? And get them to sleep together, that way YOU Can sleep. THey will want to eat what seems like 24/7 when they're first born, and you will be a cow on the couch. :D

Perfect advice! Thank you so much! I'm sure my library doesn't have it, so I'll be ordering it off of Amazon!

An artistic touch. :)

Congrats!! And good luck!

We found out early - probably 7wks. DW called the doctor a liar and hit me. We were in hysterics for a week. DD was not even 2yo at the time and she was at the ultrasound, so she was a little freaked out at our reaction, too. We did settle down eventually, lol

Bwahahaha!!! Sorry your DW hit you though! I really thought my DH would hit the floor there for a minute. And you survived. :tongue_smilie:

I did too.

Congratulations MusicMama. Now you know why you were getting all those rolls and kicks the other day.

Yes, a lot has been explained! I had a laundry list of unusual-for-me complaints for the doctor then threw the list away. Weird pangs when yawning or stretching, feeling more swollen than I should in the um, tEa room, extra pressure in my pelvic area and hips, and in general feeling 8 months pregnant at 4.5! I will be hyper focused on my diet and getting enough rest. And will take up all the offers to help that I can! It's about to get crazy! :party:

Congrats!

I may have missed it, but are you going to spill about the gender of the twins? :D

ETA: Okay, I just saw your other thread saying that you are going to wait. How fun! I love waiting. I cannot imagine the excitement of finding out the gender of two at one time!

ETA: I read your other post on your thread.....Congrats on twin girls!

Edited by besroma

:party: Congrats! Twins are so much fun. I had four kids two and under for a month...then it was four kids three and under!

Just be prepared to hear the "Oh, you have twins?" every.outing.period. Prepare people to ignore your other kids and flock to the "amazing twins" My twins now are tired of the attention and scream they aren't twins when someone asks.

And my advice is don't buy two of everything. Only two of what you "require" such as car seats, etc.

Congrats! They DID find a dividing membrane right? I had MOMO twins with no dividing membrane and I lost one at birth. I always hold my breath when people say they are having twin girls since MOMO's are almost always girls.

:grouphug:and prayers for healthy babies

Bwahahaha!!! Sorry your DW hit you though! I really thought my DH would hit the floor there for a minute. And you survived. :tongue_smilie:

Um, well, we are SURVIVING, anyhow. We survived the pregnancy. We survived the newborn stage. Now we have two nonverbal 21 month olds who both bite, pull hair, scratch, hit, and pinch when they are happy or excited or mad or just want attention. Plus the 4yo. So I'm still a leeeetle loopy. Not as loopy as you will be! But we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and it will get better.

Another tip. DO NOT listen to any well-meaning, but super annoying people who tell you that it only gets harder as they get older. I think those people must have kids 5 years apart or else they completely forgot how exhausting multiple tiny littles are. There were a few times when I wanted to just give up and run away from home after those conversations, because in the midst of the newborn phase when I was giving all I had, the notion that things were going to get HARDER was more than I could bear.

Usually these ladies have teens and are in the midst of those issues, but they really don't remember what babies are like, or they never had more than one baby at a time. I'm still loopy, but it is MUCH EASIER now than when they were newborns. I'm 100% confident that it will be much, much easier once we are fully verbal, have finished cutting teeth, and have figured out that brother is not a teething toy. I'm hoping that all happens soon, lol!

:party: Congrats! Twins are so much fun. I had four kids two and under for a month...then it was four kids three and under!

Just be prepared to hear the "Oh, you have twins?" every.outing.period. Prepare people to ignore your other kids and flock to the "amazing twins" My twins now are tired of the attention and scream they aren't twins when someone asks.

And my advice is don't buy two of everything. Only two of what you "require" such as car seats, etc.

*I bow to you* :tongue_smilie: We already have two cribs, two high chairs etc because DC 1 and 2 were 16 months apart and needed them at the same time! I will try to avoid getting anymore *stuff* because we are going to be packed to the gills anyway we cut it!

Congrats! They DID find a dividing membrane right? I had MOMO twins with no dividing membrane and I lost one at birth. I always hold my breath when people say they are having twin girls since MOMO's are almost always girls.

:grouphug:and prayers for healthy babies

Thank you so much. Yes, they found the membrane right off, that's what caught the sonographer's eye first. She went to investigate the "extra" membrane and found an extra baby! I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our friends lost one of their twins at 1 month, and the other stayed in the NICU for over 200 days and came home with many, many physical difficulties. They are who I think of when I think of twins, so your prayers for a healthy pregnancy are much appreciated.

Another tip. DO NOT listen to any well-meaning, but super annoying people who tell you that it only gets harder as they get older. I think those people must have kids 5 years apart or else they completely forgot how exhausting multiple tiny littles are. There were a few times when I wanted to just give up and run away from home after those conversations, because in the midst of the newborn phase when I was giving all I had, the notion that things were going to get HARDER was more than I could bear.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Mine are my onlies so I assume it's a bit better when you have others, but I really did want to cry when people said this and so many people did!. And it turned out to be completely false in every way. Other than a few minor setbacks of stages, it has only ever gotten easier.

Btw, we did the opposite of you and your dw - I think I may have hit dh when we found out. It's mostly a blur. I think I went into tears for about two months before I finally was willing to accept it.

Congrats!

My friend found out she was having twins at 28 weeks this past winter. It took awhile for her to get used to the idea at that point! She has 4 kids now, ages just-turned-5, almost-3, and the twins are 5 months. It's pretty chaotic over there but it gets easier.

Congrats! We found out at our 20 week, too, with no prior inkling. I didn't think it was hard, especially having my (then) two toddlers for helpers. It was a wonderful experience, but yes, plan on getting big and not being able to touch your toes, LOL! Enjoy every minute. :D

Um, well, we are SURVIVING, anyhow. We survived the pregnancy. We survived the newborn stage. Now we have two nonverbal 21 month olds who both bite, pull hair, scratch, hit, and pinch when they are happy or excited or mad or just want attention. Plus the 4yo. So I'm still a leeeetle loopy. Not as loopy as you will be! But we're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and it will get better.

Usually these ladies have teens and are in the midst of those issues, but they really don't remember what babies are like, or they never had more than one baby at a time. I'm still loopy, but it is MUCH EASIER now than when they were newborns. I'm 100% confident that it will be much, much easier once we are fully verbal, have finished cutting teeth, and have figured out that brother is not a teething toy. I'm hoping that all happens soon, lol!

The mother of one of my teenage piano students was assuring me that "It will get harder! Their problems get bigger as they get bigger. They are just so sweet when they are little." My youngest son then locked me and my DD out of the house.! He was FREE ROAMING AT 22 months!!! Bean was asleep in his bed. I had to use her phone to call my husband and have him get a ride home. I then used a shovel to pry open a basement window. She later retracted her statement... :glare:

For inspiration, my grandmother had 5 kids 3 and under!!! She had a set of twin boys, another boy a year later, and another set of twin boys a year after that! And they all lived :)

Also, do get that book that several people mentioned. I have friends that used it and one went until 40 weeks! and the other was induced at 38 when her normaly 90lb body couldn't handle the extra weight (she was in too much pain to walk because of pubic bone issues). The both had babies that were in the 6-7lb range.

*I bow to you* :tongue_smilie: We already have two cribs, two high chairs etc because DC 1 and 2 were 16 months apart and needed them at the same time! I will try to avoid getting anymore *stuff* because we are going to be packed to the gills anyway we cut it!

Thank you so much. Yes, they found the membrane right off, that's what caught the sonographer's eye first. She went to investigate the "extra" membrane and found an extra baby! I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our friends lost one of their twins at 1 month, and the other stayed in the NICU for over 200 days and came home with many, many physical difficulties. They are who I think of when I think of twins, so your prayers for a healthy pregnancy are much appreciated.

Sometimes it helps to hear healthy twin stories, so here's ours. Our boys (di/di) were born at 35 weeks, 3 days. Baby A was born vaginally, baby B was a c-section. Both screamed their way out. Still early, but they weighed 5lb 11oz and 6lb 11oz! Yes, we had a nearly 7lb preemie. I credit this to the very high protein diet that DW put herself on. They were in the hospital for about a week due to nursing difficulties (being supervised for dehydration/weightloss/suck issues). They came home just shy of 37 weeks, and have been healthy, rapidly growing boys ever since!

And here's my SIL's. 3months after our twins were born, SIL gave birth to two healthy boys at 36wks. Her boys were born vaginally (also di/di, with vertex/vertex presentation - like winning the lottery with twins, lol) and came home with her 48hrs after birth. They were both around 5lbs at birth, and are smaller than ours but also generally healthy, normal kids. They are 18mo now, and my twins are 21mo now!

Edited by AdventureMoms

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Mine are my onlies so I assume it's a bit better when you have others, but I really did want to cry when people said this and so many people did!. And it turned out to be completely false in every way. Other than a few minor setbacks of stages, it has only ever gotten easier.

Btw, we did the opposite of you and your dw - I think I may have hit dh when we found out. It's mostly a blur. I think I went into tears for about two months before I finally was willing to accept it.

Actually that would be the same as me and DW. DW was the pregnant one at that time (I carried DD).

And yes, I think I burst into tears at least once when someone said that to me while I was trying to carry two fussy infants, while handling a 2yo's tantrum, after having been up every 2 hours all night long. Even if it WERE true, what kind of idiot feels the need to SAY that at the moment? Did I look like I was having too much fun?

Edited by AdventureMoms

AdventureMoms, could you explain what di/di means to a multiple newbie?

Dichorionic, diamniotic. Two placentas, two amniotic sacs. The most common and lowest risk form of twin pregnancy. (all fraternal twins are di/di, and I think 20% of identical twins?)

For identical twins, you can also have mono/di (one placenta, two sacs), which is higher risk because of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and requires more monitoring.

The highest risk is mono/mono (shared placenta and sacs). This is pretty fairly rare, and very high risk, usually involving very close monitoring and a fairly early c-section because of both TTTS risk and cord entanglement issues. If they saw a membrane, then you don't have this kind. :)

Sometimes when twins are found later in pregnancies like yours it can be hard to tell if they are di/di or mono/di unless they can see the placenta(s) clearly. Did you find out genders? Boy/girl twins are always fraternal, thus always di/di. Though, we were told we had boy/girl twins, and didn't find out the truth until the day they were born. Now we suspect they may be identical!

di/di twins are MUCH lower risk than mono/mono and still quite a bit lower risk than mono/di. So if they found evidence of two placentas, your risk is much lower of developing twin complications (other than just the space issue, lol)

Edited by AdventureMoms

Dichorionic, diamniotic. Two placentas, two amniotic sacs. The most common and lowest risk form of twin pregnancy. (all fraternal twins are di/di, and I think 20% of identical twins?)

For identical twins, you can also have mono/di (one placenta, two sacs), which is higher risk because of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and requires more monitoring.

The highest risk is mono/mono (shared placenta and sacs). This is pretty fairly rare, and very high risk, usually involving very close monitoring and a fairly early c-section because of both TTTS risk and cord entanglement issues. If they saw a membrane, then you don't have this kind. :)

Sometimes when twins are found later in pregnancies like yours it can be hard to tell if they are di/di or mono/di unless they can see the placenta(s) clearly. Did you find out genders? Boy/girl twins are always fraternal, thus always di/di. Though, we were told we had boy/girl twins, and didn't find out the truth until the day they were born. Now we suspect they may be identical!

di/di twins are MUCH lower risk than mono/mono and still quite a bit lower risk than mono/di. So if they found evidence of two placentas, your risk is much lower of developing twin complications (other than just the space issue, lol)

:iagree: good info here and explained well :) my gals are mono/di mirror identicals. I was monitored more closely but it was by far my easiest pregnancy :)

:iagree::iagree:

MUCH easier.

And, when my twins were three months old, I got pregnant with Ds9, so I'm really speaking from experience--it gets easier. And, they are a pleasure and a joy.

The sonographer said that the membrane caught her eye first because it wasn't supposed to be there. She didn't say anything at first, but started searching, and that's when I saw the two spines and knew, right then before she told us. After she measured Baby A, she announced it was a girl, followed by Baby Girl B. They will be same gender fraternal twins. I'm sure there is a fancy name for it, but I don't know it! :D She did say that there were two placentas and two cords, making it a much less complicated twin pregnancy and also allowing the babies to have a better chance to gain weight.

So they are di/di, it sounds like. That's great! FWIW, many people (including many family doctors who don't deal with twins much and people like sonographers) assume that di/di means fraternal. It does not. If they are the same gender, the only definitive test of identical vs fraternal is a DNA test. Sometimes it's obvious after birth or as the babies get older (if they look a lot different, for example), but sometimes (like ours) it isn't.

Congrats on two girls!!

Did anyone find that their doctor preferred to do a c-section regardless of the position of the twins? I would like to avoid a routine c-section and didn't know if that was possible any more with twins. My doctor said she would try if Baby A was not breech or transverse. But the other doctors in the practice won't even attempt a vdelivery. Any suggestions, thoughts, or experiences?

Did anyone find that their doctor preferred to do a c-section regardless of the position of the twins? I would like to avoid a routine c-section and didn't know if that was possible any more with twins. My doctor said she would try if Baby A was not breech or transverse. But the other doctors in the practice won't even attempt a vdelivery. Any suggestions, thoughts, or experiences?

Congratulations!

We had fraternal twin girls around Christmas. Our doctor didn't push a routine c-section. We did end up with one because baby A never got out of breech in the end. My worry was that I'd deliver one vaginally and then end up with a c-section anyway, and end up with the pain of recovery for both types. :001_smile: The previous three singleton pregnancies were all vaginal births.

Erica in OR